Neurology Community
Tender spots on head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tender spots on head

My pain on my head seems to be more noticeable at times then others but the pain is constant. I have had what I called "soft spots" for a while and they hurt if you touch them. It has just been recently that they have seemed to go from "only certin sections of my head" to the whole top back of my head. Now when I lay in bed with my head on my pillow my head will hurt (more often then not) because of the pressure touching them I guess. I cant afford insurance. What do you think is wrong with my head? Do you think its serious?
I'm not sure what they are, but I get them too.  One doctor told me that they are related to my sinuses.  I get them all over my head, in different places at different times, and they come and go.  Sometimes I notice they get worse depending on how my hair sits on my head, like how I slept on it, or how it was pulled back-something about the hair follicles being in one direction for a period of time, and then forced into another.  Either way, they hurt.  Hope you find an answer.  

hahha this isn't going to be helpful at all, but i also get those odd, tender spots on my head. i'm not sure what they are, and if they're anything bad. i've never asked my doctor about them, so i don't know what she would say about them, sorry. i'm not sure if this is related, but i did get a concussion less than a year ago, and have only noticed these tender spots in the last year or so. however, it was a relatively minor concussion and i don't have any headaches associated with the tender spots, so i doubt that it's actually related to the concussion. well, i hope you find an answer soon, and if you do, let me know what it is.
It sounds like you are describing something called "nummular" headaches.  These are well-circumscribed spots on the head that can be tender and that appear to cause localized headaches.  The headaches can be sharp and stabbing and can build to a constant and fairly severe pain.  They are always in the same spot(s).  

Nummular means "coin-shaped"

I couldn't find out much about them except it is thought that they are caused by an inflammation at the end(s) of a branch of one of the nerves which goes to the scalp like the trigeminal  nerve. As far as I could tell they are benign - meaning do not indicate a serious problem.  

I couldn't find out what to do to relieve them, but I wonder if ice to the area would be helpful since they may arise from sensory nerves deep in the skin and muscles of the head.

There are two other kinds of tender spot headaches that I learned about.  One is where a person has or keeps the hair pulled back tightly called "hair-traction headache".  The other is more common and complicated and called "cervical cephalgia."  It is a complex headache of the back of the head and involves contract/spasm of the back cervical neck muscles, pressure on the sensory nerves at the back of the head and pulling at the point where the muscles attach to the head.

These last two are mechanical problems, not headaches which come from something inside the head.  So they, too are not serious.  This isn't to say that any of these headaches can't severely affect one's quality of life.

Agian, I'm not a neurologist, but these are my thoughts on what you describe.

Quix
I hope you and the others see this.  I found a discussion on the Dr-to-patient Neuro forum on this very topic.

The headaches are also called "epicrania fascia" headaches meaning arising from pain from the outside of the head and the conective tissue.

If that's what they are they can be treated often successfully with Botox injections locally.  Great news!

here is the link to the Neuro's answer:

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/neuro/messages/34390.html

Quix
I get these also, Im concerned because I have noticed the back of my head hurting in the same spot (only if I touch it or lay down) Over the last week it has been with dizziness and I vomited on Monday then again on Friday------Im not sure if that is from the flu or something related to the head thing.  It feels like my hair has been pulled back in a pony tail too tight or like I hit my head and there is a bruise which I have not had either happen.  If you have any insight I would greatly appreciate it.  
Heather
Or PLEASE email me at ***@****
Occipital Nerve Compression Headaches, TMJ/TMD and some migraine headaches are all known to cause tender spots on the scalp. Occipital nerve compression headaches can be caused by cervical disc problems but that is not the only cause.  
These headaches are not typical headaches.  The best way I can describe them is to say that your head fills up with pressure, so intense sometimes, it can make you really think that your eyeballs are being pushed out of your skull.  It is my understanding that TMJ can cause those headaches as well as the tender spots (without necessarily having a headache at all).
I too suffer from constant dizziness. I faint regularly, on a daily basis, and I also have the nausea and vomiting.  It has even caused changes in my apetite.  I cant eat much at any one time now, I dont eat over half the foods I used to eat (used to being since last fall) because they dont taste good to me anymore.. and Ive lost over 25 lbs due to this, since december.  
Mine are caused by disc problems in my neck, but I also have TMJ.. so basically, I won the double whammy lottery. lol  I had the herniated disc removed 9/07 and 1 month later discovered that the disc below it was herniated.  4 months post op, we discovered the 2nd herniated disc was there on my MRI image from 8/07  but everyone missed it. My neurosurgeon even missed it.. on the mri image as well as during surgery.  So I am right back where I started, going through the entire process all over again.
I would have a dentist check your  jaw for TMJ problems and see your family dr to have your neck checked out.  Keep in mind that your dr may try to suggest a neck xray (c-spine) because its cheaper.  BUT.. soft tissue (discs) does not show up on xrays. You need an MRI for that.  If you are not having neck pain, I wouldnt concern myself with that being the cause.  Millions of people however, have TMJ and dont even realize it.  
I hope some of this helps you guys.. Ive been dealing with this stuff for 3 yrs next month.  It was a long hard road to finding the answers, but I got there in the end.
Also, one last note here, for all of you.  If it does turn out for any of you, that its a cervical disc problem, many drs, including the specialists (neuro) do not believe that disc problems can cause those headaches if the problem is below the C3 level. My neurosurgeon did not believe it.  But luckily for me, the neurologist he sent me to, to care for my new herniated disc until when/if I required surgery to fix this one... does know that problems below the C3 level can and do in fact cause these headaches.  So dont let that discourage you.  If any of you end up dealing with this as the cause, find a good neuro that does believe or you are wasting your time.
Good luck and blessings to all of you.
I was diagnosed with a nummular headache by a nuerologist. It truly is a coin shaped headache that is constant, and is on my temple. It is a pain that is always there, and unfortunately, there is no cure. Sometimes the pain is worse than other times. I was prescribed Neurontin for the pain, and have seen some improvement. I also get regular migraines, and the Neurontin is supposed to prevent those as well.
I have tender spots every so often and I have followed that particular hair down to the spot where it hurts and pulled the hair out and it will have several roots growing in the one hair, after I pull it out it will quit hurting. Then I will find another on when I feel a tender spot again after washing my hair or combing  it.
I have had migraine for more then 30 years with relatively no long term relief. I have tried every medication including MAOI. Nothing have ever helped for very long. Has anyone tried botox or acupuncture with good results.
I'm curious to know if any/all of you spend a lot of time at a computer or a high stress job or both?  This can significantly affect the musculature of the neck, scalp and face. Not many people think of our scalps as having muscles but they do and reading, staring at a screen or constantly being in a situation that requires critical thinking and stress can severely increase tension in these muscles. I would try getting a deep tissue massage or accupressure before taking medication. Also, if you are a person who has a high stress lifestyle, as in over worked, sleep deprived, no exrecise and poor nutrition I almost guarantee that these accumulative factors are all related to the headaches so prevention would be the key ingredient, not medication. A disc problem is a whole other issue and that also might be the case, but it may be as simple a tight muscles. I'm a massage therapist and have been for 7 years and you'd be surprised at how many of my clients have gone to extreme measures with drugs and surgery becuase their doctor really hasn't been taught how to treat soft tissue injuries.
I have the very same symptoms, but I am completely Bald. I thought at first it could be because I do shave my head everyday, and the pain began in the back near my neck. However; now the soreness is at the top front, to forehead.  in a area that I've never shaved, because I am naturally Bald.
I got into a bad car accident 2 mnths ago. This lady rear ended me while I was sitting at a red light. She was going 50 miles n hour. My back and neck is really messed up. I would def say though that my back is worse then my neck. Recently I've been dealing with this tender spot on the left kinda top side of my head. Could it be from my accident? It is really starting to scare me. Like what if its a tumor??? Can someone please help me?
i have tender sore spot on the back left side of my head, 3rd day now, no head aches yet, but recently put my back out which is still not right, im begining to think there is a connection between the tender sore spot on head and back injury
I get the sore spots on my head too. They are in random places.  I have found that taking a shower helps a lot, and if I am at work and cant take a shower, I just go wet the area of my scalp with some water.....and the sore spot subsides.  I would say that for immediate relief try the water on the spot treatment.......... its worked great for me!  by the way- I always linked the spots to stress or having hair up for too long... but after I read the comment of the bald guy- I guess I can rule out the having hair up for too long thought :-P
I've been told they are "neurodermatitis" caused by stress.  I get them off and on but can't find a relation to times of stress.  I was thinking maybe diet related but that doesn't pan out either.
In the past few days I have experienced this unusual sore patch on my scalp. No itching - no redness associated with dandruff or psoriasis etc. The paid is NOT internal to the skull like a headache. The soreness is confined to an inch or two diameter area centered maybe 3" above the right corner of my right eye. It is a soreness that is sore to the touch or to movement of the scalp (as in upraised eyebrows). The pain is underneath the skin in the connective tissue.  About a fourth of the descriptions in this forum seem to be describing this particular pain. Never had it before. KInd of odd.  WIll dig deeper into quixotic1's suggested link (above). :

Hi, I think you're correct in that it is how one sleeps on their hair and that can affect the hair follicles direction. Mine does this and I have noticed it on the off days of washing my hair when not styling it.

Thanks for mentioning it!
I've been having this head/scalp pain for a week now. It's in the back of my head and feels good when I massage it with my finger tips. No drugs make it go away. I've had these for years. Just a small localized area but always the back of the head. I usually wear my hair up in a bun and thought this was the reason. Seems to still hurt when I wear it down. Can last for weeks. I wake up at night and it hurts. Feels like someone is pulling my hair in that spot. A real annoying pain.
I have veen having tender spots on the top of my head in several places for years.  I massage them and they go away.  I also get classic migraines and have asked doctors about these sore places to no avail. My guess is that the scalp gets very tight at times and massaging them loosens it up and improves circulation to the area.  Sometimes I notice them if there are high allergens in the air as well like if the winds are blowing.  They seem to come and go. I just had a brain MRI and it did not show anything so I have ruled that out.
Hello to you all !!
I read all of the comments here & I also have sore spots on my head that are random on my scalp, sometimes they really hurt, the painful spots are usually associated with a migraine headache. I never had these until I had an epidural that didn't go well in 2005 while in labor with my son, the women slipped with the needle in my spine as I had a contraction. After that I had little to no feeling in the backs of my hands, I could not sense hot or cold & my right leg was numb in places, this lasted for about 8 months.
I get these floaters in my eyes, a coin like shape followed by an onset of colours that are quite beautiful like looking through a kaleidoscope, they last for 20 minutes. In 2009 I had a brains scan but would not have the dye they use as there is a great deal of controversy about it's long term affects. Anyhow the scan was normal from what they could see.
Just recently i had 5 migraines in one day & this has never been associated with pain but this time oh my it was awful, I have had the worst flu at the same time.  
I also get a dizzy sensation & I noticed a few years ago looking at lines would give like a vertigo feeling. When I mentioned this to my eye doctor he said, I have what is called Scintillating Sclerema headaches & this is common associated with colors & partial loss of vision that for me lasts 20 minutes.

I thank the people that have taken the time to write comments here, as I was feeling rather alone with this & very concerned that something much worse was taking place. I to agree that the neck plays a massive part in headaches & the soft tissue areas, adding to the fact that i have coughed for the last two weeks this would not of been helping.  I have also found that certain food additives such as 635 flavor enhancers can cause a headache rather quickly, as well as increased computer use. Beware Chinese food that has MSG in it. Thank you to all once again & blessings to all who suffer with.
I to get sore spots on my head, have floaters, dizzyness, painless migraines, where the kalidascope type thing happens for about 20/30 mins goes then I have a headache, looking at lines or stripes they move. This has happened for years, it was very scary at first (still is really) but when it first started happening I was sure I was dying. I've had 2 MRI scans which showed nothing, all kinds of ENT tests and they cannot find anything. I too thought I was alone and a bit mad... But it's nice to here other people are feeling the same and have the same symptoms (not nice for us, just makes me feel a bit more sane! :-)
I have these tender sore spots on the top rear of my head also. I havent mentioned them to my doctors, but I have Grave Disease (Hypothyroidism), Fibromyalgia, and Severe Sinusitis.  I also have migraines.  I want to assume that this problem goes along with one of the things Im already diagnosed with.  Usually if I take a warm shower and gently wash my hair, it will ease the pain enough to get a decent night's rest.  i hope this helps.  
Thank you Quixotic1. That was very helpful to me and I truely hope that is what I have. 3 mornings ago I woke up and had this killer pain on bottom of skull, like a huge softspot painful bruise. It hurt regardless of touch, but definitely when wash my hair, touch it or lye down on it, it hurts so very much more. The painful spot then moved towards upper left of the head and then today that spot is now in middle of head. 3 spots changing periodically. For awhile been getting so dizzy and head/body numbness, this topped off my worries. I went to emergency and all tests came back good and all my feelings are unexplainable. You seem very smart and helpful. Any advice?? Thank you.......Rosemary
I know this is very late reply but I thought I would share any way. I too for many years have suffered from the same problem. Around the same time it started I also started having alot of sinus infections and strep throat. My feet also were very sore in the morings. I have since been diagnosed with SLE Lupus. After talking with other sufferers, they all had the same painful top of head. I think it is because there is alot of inflammation with Lupus and the nerve endings on your head become very inflammed. I have had countless MRI's and there were no major problems. I hope this helps.
Rebecca
Wow I don't know where to start, I have had pain, burning, soreness to the point I can not even comb my hair.Some areas where my hair breaks off at the scalp, when the hair grows back little white scab seem to be on the top of the hair just starting to grow. I have had every kind of test there is and I'm about to give up. I would shave my head but I fear it would hurt even worse when it starts to grow back.the only thing that calms the burning and the tightness on my scalp is by using scalpicin, and then it burns like crazy when I first put it on, but it helps the pain for a little while. I have no real headaches other than the normal sinus headaches once in a while. I also have what feels like heat coming out of my scalp. And you know it's just on the top and crown of my head.Then when the hair starts growing it is so stiff and course i could probably thread a needle with it.And something else when it grows back it grows abnormal, like in little strips on the back of my head, or in clusters. It's not normal growth at all. I don't know what to do anymore, any suggestions would be wonderful. I am just done. I can't take the pain and burning anymore  
Wow..what a journey! thank you so much for this informative explanation.  I too have a tenderness on my sculpt (above my ear) I don't have headaches but it hurts when I lay down or touch and it gives a strain on my neck.  I wish you pain free and no illness behind after your surgery.  
Thanks - that helps a lot.  I know I'm reading this a year after your posting, but it's a relief, because it makes a lot of sense to me compared to other responses I've read in response to this issue.  I've been under a lot of stress, and have spent an inordinate amount of time at the computer recently.  My sleep is also very often irregular and insufficient.  I guess it's time for a massage.  Thanks again!
I've been reading all the posts and i can relate to most of them. The top of my scalp is sore, itchy and sometimes feels like it producing heat I thought it was because my hair was dry so i started deep conditioning it and that didnt help. I recently have been having back spasms ( i get them from time to time) but this time they have been very consent and for several days i dont know if the two are related. I am on the computer a whole lot as well as watching tv and working in a high stressed environment. and i also get frequent headaches and i do i have very low iron i dont know if that has anything to do with it i just want and the pain to go away
I have headaches, itchy scalp, my head hurts like someone punched it, my neck hurts and I get a ringing in my ears sometimes.. What is going on??
how about temporal arteritis, tenderness on scalp and shotting pains in the head. this can lead to an aneursym.
I think you are right. It seems I remember as a kid, grownups calling them stress knots. I went through some pretty serious stress last week and now I have one on the back of my head.
Thanks that really helped cs I had a sore spot in top of my head on last night and thought it might be sinus related. I took a pressure and pain tablet and when I woke up the next morning it was better.
I've had a problem for years with sore spots on my head. I cannot lay on my back because I get dizzy. They're not painful unless I touch them. They feel like bruises. Had a catscan done over 10 years ago and nothing was found. Pain is always there and never goes away. I can hardly sleep on my right side because of pain. Only can sleep on left side comfortably and now as of yesterday, pain over left forehead. I hope that new one is not like the other spots. I want it to go away.
You are the only person,so far,that has abnormal hair breakage and change in texture. The pain is on the top crown are,and feels like a stinging,burning feeling. I can barely stand to even wash my hair,in that area. I also have constant,frontal headache,with pain behind my eyes. My beautiful head of hair,has gone to weird,dry,brittle,frizzy hair.Also,never lost hair before,and been noticing a thinning of hair. The area on the top of my head,where the pain is,is a very coarse strip of hair. I had a brain ct,and it came up normal,so now they want me to take topamax,for migraine preventative. Think the neuro's are out to lunch. tired of feeling like crap.
hi kangel, does your pain come and go? mine starts at top very top of the back of my head and can move to the front hairline. in the back part it feels like i am pressing hard with my thumb, when it move to the front it fells like a burning sensation. have you had this? i had a ct scan and it was normal. it is compleletly gone in the morning and comes back in the evening. please anyone else also relpy?
Probably not a tumor. I have them and I've had two MRIs of the brain, with contrast, both clear. I've been in 7, yes 7 rearend collusions in the past 25 years. I would highly suggest that you insist on an MR, with contrast (!!!!) of your cervical spine. They just did one on me and have found a "thickening" in my tonsil, damage to a nerve, and paraylsis of my left neck. Who knows when all this happened due to nobody imaging it until now. On my insistence. You really have to push. If you have to, just say you are having memory gaps and numbness in your arms and hands (cervical-based). Crappy to have to fib, but doctors are dealing with insurance companies and you have to hand them the symptoms to get over that hurdle. Me? I'm off to an ENT to see if the "thickening" is cancer, perhaps brought on by all the truama to my neck. (MRI said "neoplasm"; not me being dramatic.) :-(
I don't know what I have but it feels like if you put your hair up too tight for too long and then take it down. It hurts really bad when I touch that area and it feels a little swollen. It is the left top of my head. My hair is to short to put up and I stop putting clips and things in my hair hoping it will stop hurting and it has been like 3 weeks and it still hurts.it is not red or hot or itchy it just HURTS and aches specially when I touch or brushor wash that area on my scalp.
Sounds like your symptoms might be pychosomatic.  Are you under a lot of stress and have you unresolved past issues?  I suggest you read Dr John Sarno's books - Mindbody Prescription and Healing Back Pain.

All the best to you
Actually to all, I have the same soreness, as many others all who have been "floxed" meaning an adverse reaction to fluoroquilone antibiotics, which result in Central nervous System and PNS damage.Plus several other disabling damages to the body. I am suspecting it is nerve ending damage as well as cranium pessure. Hope this helps. The main Fluoroquilones are Levaquin, Cipro and Avelox, educate yourselves on this damage, very widespread.
i have a Chairi Malformation with Syrinx in spinal cord .. im just about to have brain surgery and this is my reason for all symptoms above ... not that im saying this is the reason for all .. just expressing what i have
Very interesting..I too have these same symptoms. My head feels like it has a giant bruise on it.  I was very concerned that I could have developed an infection of some type. I recently had some neorological testing at least one of them was invasive. I suffer from lightheadedness with some nausea. I have permanent fluid in the middle ear a condition called Meniers Disease that causes extreme bouts of vertigo. These come and go over the years. The scalp headaches may be connected. I am starting special therapy next week to teach my body to compensate for my symptoms. I am at the age where a fall can be very serious. I bring this up because some of the posters mention dizziness. Ordinarily a simple water pill can help absorb excess water in middle ear but I suffer from kidney stones and can't take diuretics.bottom line you you see a neurologist specializing in vertigo. Very important.
I have this light-headed/dizziness feeling for almost a year. Then recently, I felt a tender spot on the left backside of my scalp at the same level as the lower part of the earlobe. After massaging it a few times, the tenderness moved higher up to the upper ear lobe level. I applied more massages which and the tenderness went away. Now its on the right side at the upper earlobe level!

Have consulted ophthalmologist, ENT and neurologist. No one has answers for me!
I had this problem for several years (soreness in upper area on the back, LEFT side of my head). I also suffered from sudden hair loss on the crown of my head that would not grow back no matter what I tried, and no matter which doctor I visited (dermatologist, neurologist, endocrinologist, etc.). I've had numerous tests done, including an MRI, which all came back normal. I've been put on various painkillers and antibiotics that didn't resolve the pain or soreness.

Lo and behold, just this year, I FINALLY found relief! I went to the dentist to get a tooth treated that had been giving me problems from time to time over the years. I'm embarrassed to say that I wasn't taking care of my teeth and cavities because I didn't have dental insurance. Well, one tooth broke and put me in complete agony, and I couldn't avoid the dentist any longer...I needed root canal treatment on a lower tooth on the RIGHT side of my mouth. After the first session to remove the pulp, infection, etc., the throbbing pain and soreness on the left side of my head/scalp went away immediately and has not returned. (I know, strange, right?) The dentist explained that antibiotics do not kill infection that's inside the tooth. The infection or the tooth must be removed or the infection will remain until treated and cause constant mild inflammation, hence, the pain and hair loss. Wow, who knew?

Anyway, about a month or so after seeing the dentist, I'm happy to report that I can see little fuzzy hairs growing on my crown now. I'm hoping this is a sign that my hair will grow back fully. I hope my story helps someone. God bless!
What you wrote matches me 100%. Did you ever find out anything?
I have read most of the earlier posts and replies.   I have the very same conditions described.  The only thing that no one else mentioned is that I went through chemo for lung cancer, lost my hair at the end of the chemo, and it has grown back.  I have had this pain since.  The scalp pain started the day I started to notice my hair falling out.  I am so grateful for success of my treatment and the return of my hair but the pain seems to be increasing.  I have said this to all oncology doctors and no one even looks at my head.  I am going to continue to pursue an answer and help.
I suffer excruciating migraines.. all the symptoms, sore spots on scalp, the works.. coming from a family of severe migraine suffers, i was aware early on, the best hope of relief for the cervical related migraines was butalbitol/acetaminophen/caffeine/codeine (aspirin can also be substituted for acetaminophen.. suffixes- 'nol' for aspirin, 'cet' for acetaminophen. When i finally found a dr who understood this one worked *(he knew before i found him) I got my life back. .
I'm trying to find ANYTHING on the internet about the same type of problem! There are two bony ridges on the back of my head, just behind my ears. There is a spot on my left ridge probably the size of a quarter that feels like a horriable bruise. I didn't hvae surgery or bump my head, I don't have a sinus problem, I don't have a headache or a history of migraines, just this one spot that is SO sore and it's been there for about 3 weeks. I can't take it anymore and I really can't find an answer to what this sore spot is! Usually, a common sore muscle would only last about a week so I'm not sure if it's even that? I wish someone could help :(
I just had these symptoms recently. Very sore spot on back of my head especially when I lie down or touch it. I tried everything. I did not hit my head. I did have the flu and threw up a few times but that was the only slight possibility I could come up with. I decided to go see my chiropractor since nothing else worked and he said that I had a cranial fault and my atlas was out. He said that stress, sleeping positions, I moved some furniture and maybe even the flu may have contributed. Some people are more prone to these shifts. In just a few minutes he was able to gentle put everything where it was supposed to go. He said that having this for a few weeks in this position probably caused inflammation which is why it hurt so much to touch the area or lie down  with the pressure. Oh btw I go to a special type of chiropractor. I am not sure if a regular one knows about this specialization. You could call Chance Chiropractic in Gainesville Florida and ask if there is a specialist in your area. I hope that this helps.  
Just an observation....I notice that a great many of these posts are from women rather than men.  Has anyone looked into the practice of using hair dyes and/or bleaches, and whether or not these chemical products could be the source of scalp-related issues?  Again, just a thought.
For the past year I've had soreness at the crown of my head.  Hurts to the touch.  This started almost immediately after stopping Effexor, an antidepressant that I was on for many years.  Besides all the other scary and hurtful effects of stopping this drug, my head hurt.  I have to believe that it was related somehow.  Maybe caused by stress dealing with my other symptoms, or directly related.  Have short hair and haven't noticed any change in texture, etc.  Mentioned to my primary care doctor, but he didn't see too worried.  Ah well...
Thank you for your response.  What you describe is what I have and it helps to know that it is not serious.  I will try the ice packs.  

Marisela
Sometimes it feels like you're falling apart when so many symptoms happen at the same time.  After reading all these posts it seems like a lot of different things cause this sensitive and or sore spots on the scalp.  I have both and they come and go.  Sometimes just massaging the scalp with my own hands helps.  This time I have also developed sensitive skin on the left side of my face.  The comments about back and neck problems ring true because I lifted something and hurt my back which moved up to neck problems and then the scalp thing along with feeling a little off balance and fatigued.  I feel like these things come in cycles.  Also I feel it affects my mood.  But did my mood cause it or did this cause my down mood.
Wendy woo,

I'm so sorry to be frank but your full of ****. Your obviously not suffering from anything that causes you pain day in and day out. You need to check your self before you reply to people who are in constant pain because you can rub them the wrong way. You obviously are the PSYCHO ONE, because you come on these daily chats to kick people while they are down, so next time maybe you should check yourself before your write ******** post to suffering people.

HOPE YOU REALIZE WHAT AN *** YOU ARE!!

Mary
Seeing your post almost a year later, but my symptoms are exactly the same. Have you gotten any ideas or solutions for your pain?
Hi Guys (and Girls)

I am currently suffering from the same thing. I'm not sure whether its somehow related to the flu which I don't seem to be quite over, or something else.
I also seem to recall having something similar last year when I first started coming down with suspected CFS/ME.
The 'tender spot' eventually resolved itself on its own.
I have noticed that it tends to hurt more when I prod around the area. As others have described, it feels like someone is pulling my hair.
I have also had what feel to be small cluster headaches migrating around the back of my skull. This one feels different though. It's more of a burning/pulling/bruised sensation. Very hard to describe.

Oh, and to the person who suggested that all this might be psychosomatic, please pull your head in.
Lyme was once 'psychosomatic'. MS was once 'psychosomatic'. Seizures were once 'psychosomatic'. Science has a lot of catching up to do.
I had a constant headache for 5 years that no drug could help and western doctors said i would just have forever. I saw an acupuncturist which actually helped for a little while but then he sent me to an herbalist and within 2 months of taking an herbal medicinal tea my headache was gone and has been gone for almost a year now!!! I hope you try it and experience the relief I have found!
Blessed be the lord all mighty ive been suffering with this for someok a quite a while how embarrasses and deppres i had become over this extreme hairlos and scalp pain head ache and so on and on and on  timewent by  probably making it worse sufferd with tooth pain for a while no money to go to the dendiist bust spend my last lil  pennies and dimes for some hair joo lo and behold i doin so much better hair and scap are returning to normal i felt such relief wash over me after i read this post Oh how the lord works in mysterious ways
Hi, do you know by any chance what the tea was called or what was in it? I have had this for almost an entire year and I actually took fluconazole for a yeast infection i felt coming on a few days ago. Next morning no headache. Morning after no headache. I thought maybe i had toxic levels of candida in my bloodstream. Nope, headache back today :(
well done ! thank you for your time , reading this article has been a relief as I have spent a year trying to find the answers, I have cervical disc disease/osteoarthritis/
degenerative disc disease/gout/ three lower back protruding discs/ two slightly damaged neck discs/ painful helix ear lobes/ painful head points / painful ends of ribs/  and muscles locked up so tight my sports massager says they feel like bone.
The medics give you stronger pain relief medication and tell you to exercise of which i do . They dont tell you anything else. thank god for the net and you people.
some days i'm so tired i can hardly speak. i love my job in engineering but it is getting harder . i'm only 47 female.health weight. and eat well. if some one give us a task we try our utmost to solve it , i wish the medics would treat us the same. has anyone tried this new antibiotic treatment for a year test ? all the best to you all . cant type sorry !
I have gotten these for years. I suffer from a whole variety of symptoms and deal with fatigue like you wouldn't believe but I will say to everyone the one thing I noticed that keeps the scalp pain away is stop using shampoo and use only unscented Dial soap. The white antibacterial kind to shampoo your hair. Nothing else. If you need conditioner use it only on ends and only all natural kind with no sulfates! Try it and see what happens!
If I were you I'd be heading off to the doctor. Especially if you keep vomiting or if the pain gets worse.
Cheers
Thank you! Ive only had this sore scalp thing for a few days and I know I need a root canal. I have a tooth that reacts to both cold and hot and feels "dead".  I'm in Asia, but plan to get it done when I get back to the US in a couple weeks. I guess I could have it done here in Taiwan if needed.
I really think you are right because my life has been so full of stress lately and the more upset I get the worst I have the little sore tender spots. They hurt so bad. I can't even pull my hair up when I have them.