Neurology Community
Tethered Cord

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tethered Cord

My daughter is 8. She had an MRI done a few weeks ago due to back pain. She was born with a dimple on her back. They said it was fine when she was born. Now they are saying she has a tethered cord. She has recently started to have problems not making it to the bathroom when she has to pee. I am told that is a symptom. She is also having really bad headaches. Is surgery the only way to fix this. I am worried.
Tethered cord is sometimes related to chiari malformation and syringomyelia.
ASAP d o t o r g     or the chiari institute  have sites filled with info....
Did ur daughter have an MRI of her brain as well?....cervical spine...thoracic spine?
U need to find a specialist in these conditions.Depending on where u live, u may need to travel. I am traveling from PA to NY to see a specialist.
Tethered cord is corrected by surgery, however it can reattach. It also can cause hernistion of the cerebral tonsils which is called chiari.I know several people that have had the TC surgery and the CM herniation is retracting.
If u would like more info, stop by the chiari forum here on med help.

Keep us posted!!

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
Thank you for the information. She only had an MRI of the lumbar spine. Is surgery the only way to correct it?  If so do you know how long the recovery time is?  I have so many questions and we see the specialist on the 31st. Thank you once again for your information.

I sent u a PM.....u can locate it thru ur profile page.

I hope the info I sent u helps and u continue to use med help for the support. I invite u to stop by the chiari forum, u will find others with similar conditions.

Good luck
Godspeed
"selma"
My 8 yo daughter had tethered cord release surgery 11/'08.   She suffered from headaches before the surgery and continues to do so now.  They are frequent (4-5 per day), short-lasting (10 min to abt 1hr) and just in the past 4-5 months wake her up at night.  I too was told that tethered cord is unlikely to be related to headaches, but reading several of the comments on this site I see that my daughter is not the only one out there.  Have any studies been done on the possible relationship between tethered cord and headaches?
My daughter is 9 y/o and was also recently diagnosed with tethered cord.  She was born with scoliosis and had a dimple on her back (which is now gone).   She also has some of the same symptoms that you all have reported (back pain, headaches, frequency urination with a high sense of urgency).  An MRI was done revealing the tethering and follow up with a urologist was recommended to determine bowel/kidney functionality.  

After researching others' responses to the detethering, I am hesitant to agree to surgery.  If the probability of re-tethering is high and the possiblity of other symptoms is common, what REALLY are the benefits to surgery?  Has anyone come across any alternatives to surgery that may be useful?