The effects of Nicotine to Small Fiber Neuropathy

My wife has small fiber neuropathy and had been in pain like most.  This past weekend she had extreme pain and after 10 years of not smoking she started again.  She told me that it takes her pain away better than any medication she is on.  I research this a little and found that nicotine will actually cause the SFN to get worse and stop any of here meds that the doctors gave here to work correctly.

I need help.  I have strong feelings against her smoking again but she will not listen to me about what it will do and the doctors we are with will not call her back for appoints, questions, or help her with her depression or anxioty.

Please help.
Hello again,

I am wanted to clarify my question on my post.  

I have nothing against anyone that smokes, it is your business.  My strong feelings are against my wife making herself worse when she thinks it is helping.  I just want to know if it indeed if the nicotine / smoking will affect my wife's small fiber neuropathy and other problems.  She also has sleep apnea and fibromyalgia.

I just want to make sure that my wife is not making herself worse everytime she smokes.

Wow! Sounds like my husband can relate to you. I have SFN also and smoke a bit. I didn't even know smoking made matters worse but I just assumed it couldn't be helping. Perhaps the smoking is just comforting her and calming her down. I don't imagine it could the nicotine and toxic chemicals could actually be making her condition better but as I stated I would bet it calms her down. The pain can be excruciating like being scalded so I can relate to her idea of "doing whatever it takes" to get some relief. Maybe just continue to support her when she is having intense symptoms by running her a warm bath or shower. Maybe a offer a shoulder massage. That helps me calm down and get some relief although minor.
Depression can go along with any chronic illness as well as anxiety. If her Dr's aren't calling her back maybe you can help her find a new Dr. who will be more compassionate towards her needs. I would be furious if my Dr. didn't respond, what kind of message is that sending to someone suffering with chronic pain?
Also try googling Small Fiber Neuropathy a burning problem, this article really helped me understand everything happening and how important the correct "team of Dr's" it takes to get proper care.