Neurology Community
Throbbing pressure in head upon standing and walking

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Viewing 201-264 comments:
Some of you may be suffering from carotidynia.
I have had migraines since the age of 18. About a week ago I bent down to get something and when I stood back up I felt like my head was going to explode.  I had fallen asleep on the couch the night prior and sometimes that can leave me with a sore neck so I thought 'oh great, a headache."  Well it has been just over a week and this pain will not go away. It hurts when I sneeze, walk, bend, it's like a rush of pain and then throbbing for a few seconds.  When just sitting it's a dull ache.  

I went to the Dr. last week and he said it was a migraine. I should mention, I have been taking 100mg of topamax for years to help prevent migraines.  Anyway, yesterday, there was no change so I went back and he sent me for a CAT scan.  He is very straight forward and said that it could be "an aggravated migraine - meaning (according to my doc) that it has gotten worse and caused swelling of tissue and of course nerves are reacting OR I could have had an aneuryism (sp?) and could have some bleeding, because of the stiffness in my neck" and it seriously feels like I have been kicked in the back of the head.  I should also mention that I have alot of stress in my life. My diet has not changed (yes I drink a cup or two of coffee in the morning and have an occassional candy bar or a cheese sandwich, and ok yes even a cigarette when I am out.)  

I just got a call and there is no bleeding, THANK GOD!  But this is something to think about for all of us.  Of course I have to start on a steroid regimen that will hopefully knock this out.  But what was the trigger? my stress level has been the same for the past year since I got laid off, my diet is the same.  

As my doctor pointed out to me a few moments ago - I am lucky this time. Throbbing head and all - even in all the daily crap that is my life right now, find time to just sit and relax.  Exercise to release tension you don't realize you are holding onto. If you need to cry, cry.  
OK, I read alot of the postings of the whoosh whoosh  but noone has mentioned my secondary symptom... arm pain.  My "attacks" happen approx. twice a month.  ALWAYS AFTER GETTING OUT OF THE CAR, which usually by the time it hits me, I am in the middle of a store.  The ncek pulsating starts, my hearing is the whoosh whoosh sound of my blood traveling to my head, all other sounds are diminished and both arms feel slightly numb, weak and some pain. Discussed with a heart doc over a year ago and he was clueless.  I checked with him because my father had his first heart attack in his mid 50's and I am 52, built the same as him.  Then 15+ years later he had a several stroke after heart surgery.  Also has heart disease, diabete,s the works. Anyway... what is up with this neck pressure thing, arm pain, and feeling like passing out! What kind of specialist should I see?  Please help.  ***@****
hello everybody, I'm glad too to find this forum. i have also the same problems with my head. so has anyone find any thing about this? please write
I get the same thing also have hypachondriac probs/anxiety so that leaves me on here searching all my issues. I get pressure in my cheeks by my sinuses, pulsating in my ears .. and slight light headed... all upon standing or bending over, its like whoomwhoomwhoom nd over, then I'm fine I just kind of stand still til it passes but its been months and months. Can this be highblood pressure related? I fear a tumor because I'm also always having cluster head aches and weird sensations on my right side of face, right ear, right part of head to base of right side of head n neck. I was thinking pinched nerve but other symptoms scare me. Two times months apart I've had intense anxiety with tingling down both arms lasting about 5 minutes. I forgot I'm 22 years old with a 3 yr old daughter, husband...etc stressors vut I'm worried this is more than stress or anxiety. Head aches are usually minor but once in awhile I get migraine type photophobia. Once I sleep I awake tired and later have energy. Then a mild panic attack. Oh big scary symptom is a purplish color on right side of vision at night for past few wks I've noticed. Its not dark its really faint and it goes
away fast. I smoke and was weighing in at 250 now in two months down to 231. Fam. History of highblood pressure, depression, bipolar, gma has diabetes not the kind u insulin. Please help. Thank you.
I have had these symptoms before. They come and go. I've had allergies to medications before with similar symptoms I've also had similar symtoms (symptoms) when I was dehydrated.  Recently I went to ER and everything was normal except for testing positive for strep b bacterial infection. I took antibiotics and feel better.  However other members of my family have symptoms now.   I took my daughter to ER and a wonderful doctor said she thought it sounded like CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING.  Family recently moved into a place with old gas stove gas water heater and heat.  I've been keeping windows open until I can get detector.  I will update everyone.  We also have spiders that we keep killing and I read that these symptoms can be caused by their bites. MY ADVICE TO EVERYONE IS START WITH YOUR ENVIRONMENT WHEN RULING OUT CAUSES, SOMETHING IN YOUR HOUSE CAN BE POISONING YOU.  KEEP A DIARY AND MAKE SURE TO WRITE ABOUT YOUR SYMPTOMS THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE IF THERE IS A PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR ASSOCIATED WITH YOU GETTING SICK. I WISH YOU ALL LUCK.
I have had similar symptoms for over 4 years. I have found that 2 scenarios trigger these feelings.

1) I can go from driving to walking and within 30-45 seconds my head starts to get an extreme pulsating pressure, sound dissipates and goes to pulsatile tinnitus, I have to stop walking and wait it out. I feel like at some points I might faint, but haven't yet. It takes about 1-2 minutes from start to stop.

2) I go from an upward position to laying on my stomach looking up. This will cause the same symptoms only it doesn't go away until I sit back up.

I have had an MRI and MRA. Both came back clear. I do take a blood pressure medicine (losinopril). The dr and nuerologist are stumped. Because it is random they don't believe it to be a danger to my health.
I have begun writing down when it happens, what I'm doing, the temperature, and how my sinuses are. I'm hoping to find a cycle so I can stop it.
I am 36 years old, white, 5'6", 240lb female. Of course they want to blame it on my weight, but when I lost weight it still happened!

I'm glad to see I'm not alone, but sad others are in the same annoying boat!

Candice
Hello all,

I posted here about two years ago with similar symptoms.  They have come and gone over the past years, worsening with a poor diet and improving with a salt-free diet.  Weight loss has helped as well.  I have no diagnosis except slight hearing loss.  
My question is, do you suffer from pulsatile tinnitus as well?  I have had tinnitus all my life, but within the past few weeks it is constantly pulsatile.  It worsens when I'm still (of course) and when I try to sleep.  It appears to be bilateral but is worse in my right ear.  I will be returning to the specialist soon, but in the meantime was curious if anyone else shared that symptom as well.  

Thank you!
I had pulsitile Tinitus as one of my symptoms. I still have some Tinitus but nothing like the wooshing I used to get. Ive been using Lasix for a while now from 60mg down to 30mg at this time. I feel like a million bucks compared to a couple of years ago.
Have you been overseas? I have the same thing
Glad to hear Tom.  I hadn't been bothered by my symptoms for quite a while, but they have returned.  Right now the pulsatile tinnitus is the most bothersome, especially when I'm sitting quietly.  The rise in head pressure that I used to have upon standing and walking has diminished quite a bit due to the cutting back on salt (I think anyway).  I will feel pulsing upon standing/walking but no longer have hearing loss that was accompanying it.
I am in the process of getting a referral for further testing from Dartmouth Hitchcock.  I have a feeling it may be a very similar diagnosis to ICH, from how I read my symptoms, but the tests will show for sure at least what it's not..lol.

Glad to hear your are vastly improved!
Back from doc and she wants me to try re-introducing my Nadolol, which I had significantly reduced over these past few months.  She is thinking that the reduction in blood pressure meds and the consequent change in the strength and timing of my heart rate could be picked up by the small bones in my ears.  Being as I've lost some hearing, this could be suspect.  I also have a little fluid in my ears (I can make them pop and crackle with yawning), and she has advised a decongestant for that.  If those things make no difference, then it's offf to an MRI and specialist.  She did listen quite closely to my carotids and felt they were completely open with no additional pulsating anywhere in my neck area, which was relieving news to me.

At least it's a start!
That sounds promising. The Lasix that I take is used for blood pressure as well. It made sense that since it was a diuretic it would decrease the fluid/pressure in my head. Which it did. After all of the tests that I was through I was glad to know, like you, that everything else was alright.
sorry TomOB after you use lasix did you experience mire high pressure in head?
I still use Lasix. I just use 30mg a day instead of 60mg and am doing great. No head pressure
Well, the return to my bp meds didn't change a thing. (sigh).  I was really hoping it would.   I had an MRI with contrast this week, and it was perfectly normal.  Which I'm happy about because that means there isn't anything glaring or immediately dangerous.  However, the pulsing in my head/ears continues.  It is constant, but intensifies upon standing and walking.  But I don't lose my hearing in that oscillating pattern anymore, I just feel like my ears are 'full' constantly.  I really do think that I could have IIH. If I am simply standing up, the pulsing is very quiet. However with sitting or laying down, it is very loud.  I will be seeing a specialist but not until January 16th.  I suppose I'm not emergent enough  I'm hoping to find an answer, but also realize there may never be one.  
Have you tried a diuretic? I believe it is harmless to try. I have my blood checked for possible kidney problems but all is fine after 2 years
Hi all...glad I found this discussion. I have some simple solutions that have helped me through.  We live in an upper valley in ca.  Coming down the hill  always makes my ears feel full. So, looking like a fool, I hold my nose, take a breath with mouth closed and gently force my ears to pop.  It never takes the fullness away completely but I do get some relief.

I get the rushing noise, sharp headache etc. When I get out of my car. Before I would stand by my car and wait for the symptoms to go away. I also get the sharp headache when I get up from sitting. So, to keep up with my new found ability to look like a fool, I will simply bend over to look at my shoes before marching into the store. Or I bend over after getting up from the couch.  It lessens the pain.  

Humor does help. However when the migraines hit I'm not laughing. Good luck to everyone. Hope these small tips help.
For the past 3 days upon waking, I have an extremly, extremly painful pounding/throbbing in my head.  Only upon waking, during the day it is just a mild to moderate painful headache.  I called my Dr. explained my symptoms.  Extreme pounding in my head and my carotid arteries on both sides of my neck bulge out.  When placing my hands lightly on both sides of my neck during an attack I can feel them throbbing.  Went to E.R. last night as directed by my physician for a CT scan, which came back normal, next step was a spinal tap, to insure there was no blood and also came back fine.  I am so scared to go to sleep as when I wake, the pain is so severe I turn white as a sheet and perspire due to the intense pain.  I have read the above posts and it sounds like people have had pretty much the same symptoms but they only last for a few minutes, mine lasts for about an hour.  I don't know what to do next?  
Signed,
Scared to sleep in CT.
Signed,
Scared to sleep in CT.
I have a call in to my doc to get a referral to a neurologist.  Tom, I think the Lasix is a wonderful suggestion.  Right now, my doc seems to think it's 'all in my head' (which it is, only literally!).  Because my MRI came back normal, she's reluctant to push for a diagnosis.  I may end up waiting until my ENT appt. in January.  I'm no worse, no better.  It still seems best when I'm just standing, like doing dishes.  Worst is sitting (more pressure in head and back of skull/neck) and laying down (pulsatile tinnitus is loudest then).  Movement to standing and walking still produces loud pulses and fullness but stops short of hearing loss.  I'm already tired of the constant pulsating in my ears.  It's very disconcerting.  I'm hoping to hear back from the doc soon, and move to the next step.
One of my doctors gave me the sense of being at a dead end. I pushed ahead. This site may be of interest http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intracranial/hypertension/info/C16
I dont fit the perfect candidate which is an overweight woman with migrain like headaches. My spinal pressure was high but not in the "range" that they look for. My Neurologist was willing too try the Lasix and slowly I felt results. We upped the dose and eventually the symptoms went away. Thank God he was willing to try.
Hello all,
Strangely I only seem to get these symptoms (throbbing, pulsating in head, whooshing sound in ears) after I stand up to get off a train, which I do infrequently (maybe twice a month). I have high cholesterol and border line blood pressure so thought it was part and parcel of all that until I read these postings. Still not sure what is going on !!! interested to find out though!!!
does anyone else feels like your body is burning and you feel sore on back arms and legs
I have had headaches with pressure in my head for 10 days now.  It feels like my head is in a vice and someone is turning the crank.  The pain comes and goes but worsens when I lean forward or bend over, sneeze or cough.  I also have ringing in my ears and my left eye was twitching yesterday.  Does anyone know what is going on with me?
I was just scanning this because my daughter was talking about pressure in her head and I saw your post.  I am a migraine sufferer...or was.  I had every symptom and some times three times a week.  Vomiting, extreme pain, numbness in my hands and face, visual disturbance.  One day I had three in a row and ended up being taken to the doctors office in as an emergency.  They put me out because none of the shots where helping.  My friend was so upset about the pain I was in that he brought me something called MIGRAINE BLOCKER.  It is herbal.  I looked at him like he was crazy because I have used and been prescribed pain pills, nausea suppositories..FUN..., blood pressure medication...and on and on.  I went ahead and tried them and I SWEAR...they were a miracle.  Now those helped me make it through the migraine.  I still had it, but did not get wiped out by it.  NOW...I use RESCUE REMEDY.  I use it every morning, and when ever I am tired or stressed...which is a lot!  I SWEAR...I went from having on average 5 migraines that wiped me out a month..to two or three....A YEAR.  Everyone around me uses it now because it is so good.  I hope this helps because I hated all the crap doctors gave me.  The medicine did not help and only made me feel sick to my stomach.  I actually even called my blood pressure meds the first doc gave me ENDIT ALL.. it was called Enderol.  I was so depressed and when I talked to the doc, he said "oh yeah..that is one of the side effects."  JERK.  You can get Migraine Blocker by googling it on line.  It is cheaper on line, but I would suggest you get Rescue Remedy by BACHS from any health food place or even on line.
S O L U T I O N :   I am having the same problem but found the throbbing subside as i closed my mouth, clenched my teeth and breathed through my nose only whenever I got up. I'm not sure but you can try relating this problem with breathing obstruction/Deviated Nasal Septum and sinusitis.

DNS can force breathing through mouth or only one nostril which is bad.
I read through this, seems kinda similar. For me, its my whole left side, like starting from the left ear either center or bottom, then its travels through the left side of my neck and down the left side of my spine and continues all the way down to my left foot. The inside of my left leg really seems to feel it, and the outside of my right arm all the way to my pinky. Any pressure or movement on the spine at all seems to do it, and seems to send intense heat from my feet to my head. Like roasting in a pot being boiled for a soup or cooked alive. also I feel it in the back of my head(brain) like back left which I think is the area for eyesight and stuff, but sometimes in the middle top of the back of my head, it feels like a piece is completely missing which I guess could have been caused by drugs... except that my drug using career is incredibly vague and innocent compared to alot of my friends who are fine =/ ummm did I miss something in school or what?
left arm not right arm >.<
For the past 10 years I have had the most intense pain in my  skull...sometimes when I move or look in a direction too quickly it feels like an ice pick is being shoved through my brain.

It used to be centered around my temple...but as the years have gone by it seems as though the pain is moving further up and I am unfortunately one of those people who don't go to the hospital at any boo-boo unless I am dying and even then I will self treat....Now though it feels as though most of the right side of my skull has been crushed in...The pain is becoming unbearable.

But I would stick with pain until death without worrying for myself. But as the years go by and I think of this condition i get nervous for my family...that maybe due to my stubbornness...etc

So If anyone has any ideas of what this could possibly be and if your diagnosis is scary enough to get my stubborn *** into the doctors..

please just post actually suggestions of the condition you think that this could be...please don't just post random scary condition in no way associated.

FYI.....I know for a fact that I suffer from exploding head syndrome. (Diagnosis almost 5 years ago.)

Thank You
Chrystal
I have similar symptoms as those posting.  One common thread I see is sitting long periods of time in front of computer or in a car.  Both of these activities cause foreward head posture (abnormal) in many (like me)- where the chin is thrust forward.  Possibly a combination of orthostatic hypotension or orthostatic intolerance and and impingement caused by this particular posture is the cause for many of us.

1) Head posture
Remembering to sit with head aligned with spine is difficult because posture is a habit.  Placing a piece of tape vertically from neck to back (when in proper posture) helps to alert you to bad posture.  When head moves forward, it begins to pull and reminds you to sit properly aligned.

2) Stretching/moving
Increasing circulation before rising to counteract blood pooling in the legs can help counteract orthostatic hypotension.  Also rising slowly as mentioned previously.

This is a new idea I will test out on myself (1 and 2).

Scared to sleep is a hard place to be.  To try and alleviate: try sleeping with your head elevated at least 45 degrees- like in a recliner (not with just 1 or two pillows you can fall off or sink down on.  This way you can reduce  increased intracranial pressure as you are trying to determine the cause.
You do not know me, but I googled an odd sense of pressure and pulsing tinnitus when i get out of my car and I clicked on this forum.  Please look up Fibromuscular Dysplasia.  My mother died from it and two sisters have it as well.  Your very high blood pressure is renal hypertension.  A simple ultrasound of the renal arteries can confirm the diagnosis of FMD.  I'm concerned Docs will concentrate on your heart, as they tried to put a pace-maker in my sister and it was her kidneys all along.  There is an article called "The rare disease that isn't" that you should read!  Based on your symptoms you may be amazed by reading about this vascular disease.
I'm so glad I found this. I'm another one getting very similar things. Not too sure when it started but has certainly been on and off for 3 years.

The first time I became especially aware of it was after lying on my front when my boyfriend gave me a back massage (I suffer from a torn disc in my lower back so he was trying to ease the pain elsewhere in my back) and when I came to get up again my head felt like it was going to explode. The tiniest movement sent pain round the back of my head and into my temples. I could only describe it as a severe head rush mixed with severe pain. The initial feeling lasted a few minutes but my head felt weird for days. This kept happening every time I had a massage so I stopped having them.

I seemed to be fine for ages until this week. On Tuesday I started Pilates and the same thing happened again at the end of the class even though I was careful to sit up really slowly. Wednesday night I thought I would do a couple of exercises from the class. I wasn't even lying on the floor for 5 minutes when the pain started again as I stood up. My head felt odd all last night and even today it still hurts when I move it. I've tried to get a doctors appointment today but no luck so will try tomorrow.

I've no idea why Pialtes has triggered it off again as I've done sit-ups previously every few days with no problem.

Seems a lot of us have the same symptoms but different names for it for those who have been diagnosed with something and different things triggering it.
Guys this gonna sound weird but try this ive beens suffering four days now  and i finally did some research on it it would seem it is an ear balance problem so heres the solution put your fingers in both your ears and walk around for a while
I sat down at my computer determined to find out, if only some what, if there was a name for what I was going through. I have all the same symptoms as the lady who first started this forum. When I read what she experienced it was like I had asked the question myself. I have been plagued with multiple health issues over the years beginning with cancer back in 2000, heart liver and kidney failure in 2003, unexplainable hip fracture, multiple surgeries due to arteries being pinched off in multiple areas of my upper body. I also have degenerative disk disease in my neck for which they already want to do surgery but I am so sick of surgeries and scared to death for them to do surgery on my neck.

When this problem started happening I just kept hoping it was a temporary thing and it would go away but it hasnt and I just cant bare to hear that something else is wrong.  I am just 44 years old and I still have one child at home and the thought of not being here for her is really scaring me.

It does make me feel better knowing that I am not alone, but again scared at what it might be.....
it all started 2 week ago i had a cold felt really ill still got it a little bit now but i now got this throbbing pain 4 a week now in my head, if i stand up, cough, or even talk to loud my head feels like its going to explode does any one know what this could be sometimes it hurts my head all over sometiimes it just hurts around the front.
Look into Meniere's Disease.  I have it and your symptoms are right on.

Hope it helps.
I have been experiencing this pressure upon shifting to an upright position. I was diagnosed with a Chiari Malformation in 2000 and in the past six months am now suffering, what I believe are symptoms of the malformation. I have been to a Nuerologist and have had an MRI witch shows the progression of my condition now 12 years later. My cerebellum is herniated 1.4cm into my spinal canal. I will be seeing a nurosergion in two weeks to discuss this symptom (pressure upon standing). Will update after.     May be a long shot but this condition is more common than one would think it to be. Google it. You may get some good info. You Na not. Thanks
I have the same problems,but have had a constant headache leftside face swelling up eye feels bruised get a black eye threwout the day.stand up to walk have to laydown asap.as pressure gets worse can't walk feel like l will faint.had this since Jan 2012. Bin on 4 lots of antibotics painkillers etc. Can lay on that side of face can't near glasses on too. Dr said was migraine or sinus l thought was both as get two types of headache. One lve just discribled is worse. Just had brain scam waiting on results. So just suffering daily until then. Can take much more. Ruining my WHOLE life as can't to of go anywhere.. only time pain Free WHEN asleep...
I had a spontaneous CFS leak, which caused a blood clot  in my brain from the lack of circulation. Long story short it took them forever to diagnose me, but finally got a blood patch in which they injected 30 cc of blood. I was in horrendous pain for over a week but then the headaches were gone. I was left with a chiari malformation as my brain sunk down in my head due to lack of fluid. After a complete recovery for months I started getting symptoms like the the rest of you. They have come and gone over the past year but some days it happens 10-20 times a day. Pressure in my neck, it is hard to look left or right, whoosing in my ears and sound is distorted. But the major symptom that scares me the most is the pressure on my eyes, it is intense and I get black rings in my vision and things are very vivid almost too bright. I can find no connection to the episodes and wish I could find a way to stop them. I really do think stress has something to do with it b/c during summer break from school I had no episodes, school started again and they came back. I did get an eye examine to make sure my eyes were not being effected. Please keep writing in with your experiences...does anyone have the same eye issues at the time of their episodes?
I have similar symptoms, that have been posted here, but I do not have headaches or any other body aches, except for my neck and I'm almost positive this is coming from a pinched nerve I have, which is a result of me sleeping with a kinked neck for six months.  I can sometimes trigger my throbbing/pulsing when I stretch my neck.  I also have some ear ringing but that came after I was cleaning it one day and did not start with my pounding issues...Although oddly it doesn't ring hardly at all when my symptoms are better.

Anyway, I would be careful of some of the diagnosis here, like POTS.  I suspect there are many different reasons/afflictions as to why people are posting here.
I too have the same thing when i go from laying or sitting to walking I'm 27 and i swear its like i can hear my pulse in my ear when this happens i get a headache... i do have lots of neck pain i wonder if that could have anything to do with it?
I have been struggling to find an answer to this problem. I got very worried when it happened to me all of a sudden today. I'm only 20 years old.
I awoke in the morning with an intense headache that nothing worked to get rid of.

After a nap, the worst of the headache went away, but now I get an intense throbbing  on my head above my eyes (like my forehead) whenever I stand up and try to walk. Please help!
•This has happened once before, a number of months ago.
Definately get a CT of brain, just to be on the safe side. It could also be a tramatised neck! Have you fallen down hard or had a blow to your back or neck?
Try eating a banana or two , You are probably lacking potassium
Good luck
Thank you for suggesting Ménière's disease.  I Googled it and it fits my symptoms pretty darn well, especially those described on the Wiki page.
Kind of sad that there is no easy fix, if any fix at all, but it doesn't seem to be life threatening either so I guess I'll just have to deal for the rest of my life.

Two things not mentioned that happened/ happens to me:

One- it started with an episode of Labyrinthitis about ten years ago that brought on some hearing loss in my right ear.  Since then roaring and high pitched tinnitus and a full feeling in the ear.  At the time the doctors said there was nothing they could do.

Two- Got labyrinthitis again this spring.  Ever since then I get vertigo upon fast movement of my head, And it is especially worse when there is a low pressure system (such as the heavy snowstorm we had last week).

Has anyone else noticed the vertigo is worse when there is low pressure in the area?  

Thanks  :o)  VTGina
I have the same thing.  I related mine to too much caffeine and sitting too long. I went to pcp n he said if it hasn't killed me yet it probably won't.. hum...I had assumed it was something to do with orthostatic hypotension but have noticed if I pinch my nose n blow like to pop my ears it goes away much faster.  Don't know why.  Maybe a pressure thing. Plan on researching it more.
Did you ever find out what the problem was?
I have the exact sypmtoms. Having an MRI and MRA soon.
I am worried about an AVM.

Patrick
Im 18 and today i got worried that it was a brain tumor or somthing that could kill me i hope its not, i still have it by the way, i woke up and it felt as if i needed to crack my neck then randomly off and on it happened again when i cough walk up or down the steps or look up or shake my head its like a wave of pain through my head  any ideas what it is please take the tim to email me ***@**** im really worried
I know this is a very old story,  but have they found out the cause?  I have the same symptoms daily.  
did you ever find out what it was??? i wake up with head throbbing so bad i cant stand it like its pulsating  and it goes away like 20 min after i wake up but the pain is excrutiating and scary and im scared to go to sleep its been going on for a month now someone please please help me im begging you i have to take care of my son everyday and this is really taking a toll on me
Read and follow the earlier posts for ideas. Those of you with excruciating head pain need to see a doctor and not rely on these threads.
Wow ... I know your post is REALLY old, but I just found it when I did a search on throbbing pressure in head on standing.  I stand up, get pressure and throbbing pain in my head; pressure and tightness in my right forearm only; and whooshing in both ears, down my neck, etc.  Have you been able to get to the bottom of it?  I'm told it's complex migraine, but have my doubts, because my migraine meds don't help it.  It happens about every 6 weeks or so, lasts for a couple of weeks.  Cardiologist didn't find anything last year.  Any insight would be appreciated!
Hi Candice - what did you find out about your condition?  I have the exact same symptoms and have been looking on the internet for similar symptoms as my doctor seems stumped as well.  Thank you
I've been having some sharp throbbing pain on top of my head every now and then. Sometimes when i walk during this pains, i feel like my head is about to explode.
nee help please
I'm having this whooshing, throbbing thing too when I get up from computer or from driving. I'm a 52 yr male, had a fall 12 weeks ago. Hurt my neck, but not bad enough to get x-ray. But it was stiff for weeks. Within a couple days, I developed episodes of dizziness (presycope, *not spinning*), pulsating hearing, throbbing head, and sometimes very migraine-like scintillating scotoma in my right vision (rare). ONLY happens when I'm at the keyboard for a long time hunched over craning neck or driving, then stand up. Ordinary standing up or getting out of bed *does not* do it. Takes about 30 sec before it happens, fell like Im going to pass out ... legs might buckle, then goes away in 15-20 min. Symptoms improved a lot in 12 weeks, but still persist. Minor headache if any at all. No other neurological symptoms.

Had an ultrasound of neck arteries: normal flow.
Head MRI: normal
Neck MRI: shortened C6 cervical vertebra and disk with hemangioma in bone (considered common and harmless fatty tumor in most cases) .. very obvious in the MRI images. No constriction of spinal canal according to radiologist. Though looking at the images myself, I'm not quite so sure it isn't sticking out a little.

Neurologist thinks C6 can't be the cause. She thinks it's inner-ear trauma leading to positional vertigo. but I don't get spinning at all ... and the whoosing is in both ears.  

Best guesses so far:
1) C6 injury is somehow poking out when I crane my neck causing change in intercranial pressure or something like that.

2) inner-ear trauma but affecting both ears and without spinning sensation

3) muscle spasms and tightness due to neck pain irritates nerves

None of them really match perfectly.
I had the same symptoms for years especially when getting out of the car. Solution is to keep the window open to allow fresh air to circulate. With the windows up, the inside of cars can harbour pollution, lack of oxygen and positive ions which can raise Serotonin. Serotonin release constricts blood vessels, the body compensates by releasing Adrenaline causing anxiety and wham, migraine city. Avoid stuffy cars, offices, trains, buses etc. One way to ease the frequency of these types of migraines is from a sitting position, stand but do not move away for about a minute giving the blood time to even out of the body. I have cut out all caffeine and processed food, no vigorous exercise, weight control, supplements include feverfew and magnesium. Doctors do not understand this condition and always assume its low Serotonin. Infract, its high Serotonin and in my case exacerbated by weather fronts.This causes low monoamine oxidase and therefore increased norepinephrine, serotonin, dopamine etc...check it out, it all ties in. I have discussed this coloration with a professor of neurology and they are frankly clueless. I have spend 10 years plus researching all of this and the steps I have taken have reduced my migraines by 95%    
Is there a blood test for serotonin levels? What diagnostics do you suggest?
I have the same symptoms, wondering if you are still experiencing this and if you have figured out whats causing it.  
My symptoms are essentially gone. I say essentially, because once in a rare while, under the right conditions, I'll notice very minor throbbing ... always seems associated with muscle tension in neck, shoulders and scalp and is often made worse when I have wet hair in cold dry air. Someone told me shoulder muscle tension can be caused by C6 vertebra problems ... so may be related. So I think this was nerve/muscle-related, possibly involving inner ear in some way, though I couldn't localize a particular problem spot. Anyhow, it seems to have healed over a long period of time. Best of luck to the rest of you.
By the way, I like GarethS's serotonin ideas (see above message), and haven't ruled serotonin problem out, but several things don't correlate for me. I'm an avid runner and have stepped up my running in the past 3 months (about 5-6 miles every other day). So, if anything, the exercise might be helping me. I also consume a lot of green tea, so I'm getting a fair amount of caffein. But my symptoms did seem very migraine-like in nature.
I don't normally have headaches but this past week (June 9th) I've been getting  what I think feels like a tension headache every day.  I really can't understand it as I normally drink half my body weight in water and have consumed even more this week in effort to troubleshoot my recent development of headaches.  I'll have some light congestion in the mornings and may get a bit more 'flemmy' during the day but I don't have any other symptoms that could help indicate what the cause of my headaches are. I do at times become sensitive to the light, loud noises, and my head will throb if I bend over... the normal headache stuff.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what's happening?

-Christa
Viewing 201-264 comments: