NEUROLOGY
COMMUNITY
Throbbing pressure in head upon standing and walking
by BoosMama, May 06, 2007
I am a 38 yr old female.  About a year ago I started to experience a very strange feeling that occurs periodically when I move from a sitting to a standing position and start to walk.  The sensation is as if my head and neck are throbbing with pressure and I have to stop walking or slow down and stop and stand still for a minute or so to make the sensation stop.  Sounds are muffled in rhythm with the pulsations and I sometimes feel as if I will pass out, but never have.  There is no pain.

I have been checked throughly by my GP, a cardiologist, and an electrophysiologist  and none of them could find a cause.  It does seem to happen sometimes when I am hungry and have missed a meal or eaten later than usual.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
Member Comments (265)
by Bastet906, Oct 24, 2007
I have the same thing!!
by Atilla, Nov 01, 2007
I am 60 yrs old and I experience just about the same symptoms.  My throbbing I have is in the back of my head nearer the neck area.  Once this pressure starts there is nothing I can take that will stop the throb every time I get up to walk.    I usuall get it in the afternoon and continue for the rest of the day.  I am fine the next day.  My doctor thinks it can be from tension, anxiety,  looking at the computer too long,etc.  
by kidzr1st, Jan 13, 2008
Oh my gosh!  I have been experiencing the EXACT same thing  BoosMama mentioned for the last 5 months!  When it first started, the throbbing happened almost every time I stood up after sitting for awhile (especially sitting in the car) and was very intense, lasting only a minute or two.  Lately, not so intense and so frequently, but still there.  I had a brain MRI that was negative.  All the doctors I've seen have no idea what it could be :(   Good to know (I think) that I'm not alone...  
by zerlam, Feb 21, 2008
I, too, am having great head pressure when going from sitting to stading position.  This has been going on for approx 3 years.  I'll have periods where it happens several times a day for a week or so, then I'm OK for a few months.  Seems to be happening more often as time goes on.  Have been to neurologist which seems to think it's tension headaches.  MRI's and CT scans don't show anything.  This is pretty irritating.   Let me know if any of you have suggestions.
by Angie1960, Feb 28, 2008
Please help us - what is this???  I also have the same problems, have just had 11 lesions found in my brain but no definintive dx (just dx with tmjd but have no pain xcept for the rare headache) - it's this PRESSURE when I stand up or walk - but sometimes even when laying down I get the pulsatile tinnitus.  I have low blood pressure normally - used to feel faint when standing up too fast - now can't get up that fast - but get this pressure instead anyway!!!  HELP US PLEASE!
by mingconnor, May 08, 2008
Glad I found this site and know that I am not alone.  I have been experiencing the exact same symptoms.  I have gone thru all of the cardiac tests and also have seen a neurologists.  I am going for an MRI next week.  My neurologist thinks it is a form of a migraine headache.
by cindy274, May 13, 2008
I can't believe I found others that are experiencing the same thing as me.  I work on a computer all day.  It happens when I get up and lasts sometimes for as long as I am walking -- which isn't very long.  I slow down to try to stop the pressure.  This may happen for a few days and then not happen again for a few months.
by larry2500, Jun 24, 2008

I have this.  it used to be very bad where almost everytime I got up after stting/driving. It would take a few seconds.  I get up, then I start walking.  After about 15 seconds, the pressure would would rise and fall like a sine-wave curve. I feel "pulse pressure" about the neck/lower head/ears (one even heard "air" synced with pulse).  I feel like my lower head is going to pop, then it goes away as it came.  My pulse might have increased a bit, but not enough where I can say it was significant (8 bpm) (from 81 to 88).

Over the last  few months, I've been dropping sidework, resting more, adding hours to sleep, etc...  The problems has reduced over 50% so far.  But, I do notice that my thoughts can trigger them upon standing.  I did a test.  I sat down and cleared my mind for 10 minutes.  I stood up and kept my mind clear.  No problem.  I sat down then started to think about all the problems, past events, lost oppotinuties, etc...  I stood up and BAM!  The pulsating neck.  For me, it seems stress is the cause.  My Adrenals reserves are too low, so stress cutting is the only way they can recover.

INFO:
http://www.howtodothings.com/health-fitness/how-to-recognize-if-you-have-adrenal-fatigue

TREATMENT:
http://www.howtodothings.com/health-fitness/how-to-treat-adrenal-fatigue

by BABY_63, Jul 03, 2008
I HAVE THE SAME THING. UPON STANDING I FEEL LIKE MY HEAD IS COMING OFF AND I GET SO DIZZY I FEEL LIKE I'M GOING TO FALL. IT DOESN'T LAST VERY LONG BUT IT IS UPSETTING.