Neurology Community
Tingling, numb sense of touch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling, numb sense of touch

Hi, I have this problem and I'm not sure if it is anxiety related. I have strange bouts of tingling/numbness accompanied with a strange problem feeling texture. It only bothers me really when I move or touch anything, including walking. Sometimes it is worse and sometimes it's not bad. It is mostly in my hands/arms/feet/face. When it's really strong I can describe it as waves of tingling. It can get quite painful/bothersome. This usually happens when I'm stressed. The first couple times it happened after smoking weed. I don't do that anymore but I still get this feeling. It used to only last a few hours but the last couple of incidents lasted for days. I just don't see how effects from an anxiety attack could last for days. One doctor I saw said it was anxiety and the other had nothing to say. Does anyone have any ideas?
The same thing is going on with me and it's really scary! It mostly happens with my hands, but also with my legs and entire arms and even lips. It's hard to tell if something is touching the part of the body or not. And very hard distinguishing texture. I'm dying to find out what it is...
That's very interesting, it's very hard to describe this. Fabricy textures feel awful. And hard to distinguish. Let me know if you find out anything. I have a neurology appointment next month but I'm pretty sure they won't know what it is still.
I have a physiatrist appointment, and one with my regular physician. I'll let you know if I find out anything. Same goes for you!
Hi, I was feeling really numb and strange and light headed this week, so I went to the urgent care doc and he said that I was hyperventilating.  I find it hard to believe that I was hyperventilating for days. But he have me some medicine so maybe I will calm down and stop this. I will wait to see what happens and let you know if anything interesting happens.
spidersong

I am sorry to read that you are going through this.  A few years ago I was experiencing the same kind of thing. Mind you, I was under a tremendous amount of stress at the time (my father was very ill while finishing my doctorate), I was spread very thin and not sleeping a whole lot.
For me, it was delayed sense of touch:  I would take a drink from a freshly opened can of soda and feel the cold, but not feel the fizz for seconds…. I would feel a strand of hair on my face, which I would wipe away and not feel my hand wiping it away or the tickle being gone.  I did go to the doctor, the preformed numerous tests and concluded that I do not have MS.  And it appeared as though I suffer from a random type of migraine.  So, this is a possibility. I medicated myself with over-the-counter stuff which always worked better for my migraines than the prescribed stuff.  Seemed to work, until lately.
Now I have the same delay in feeling but while pulling up my skinny jeans last night I found my thighs had that same delay in feeling, then when I did feel it, it was almost painful.   This caused me anxiety and I had it worse than ever.  From my research, please see a doctor and consider:
1. Vitamin deficiency
2. Migraine
3. Allergic reaction (I forgot to say that the first time I went to the doctor, I was taking Gingko which apparently my body does not like)
4. Anxiety (I am not sure if this a precursor or a result of the peculiar feeling which then makes the feeling- or lack of- worse)
Good luck, I will check  back perhaps we can help each other.  Happy holidays to you and yours.
Thank you for your advice. I am seeing a neurologist and he has no idea what this is so I had some lab tests done and I am having an MRI. In the mean time I'm just trying to relax. I hope everything goes well for you!
Did you find out anything? I too have this issue.
found out nothing. must be anxiety. it still happens very rarely and does not last long. if anyone has anything else to say about these symptoms let me know.
I started having similar effects my self after smoking some weed with a friend. Afterwards he told me it was spice and not weed. I never had a problem up until then but I wasn't sure it was the cause of the sensation so I did it again. My friend wasn't showing any of the same effects so I thought it might have been something else. It had the same effects... And it lasted for almost two weeks. The effects were: A Chopped up sense of touch like it was turning off and on rapidly, and my sight was as if I were seeing less than sixty frames per second. People seemed to teleport and so did I when I was walking. After that I've never touched any form of weed again. In the following months after the effects faded they came back when I had motion sickness, if I was drunk, or if I was just sick, however the effects weren't as strong and after a while only the odd sense of touch came back. About four months after the effects faded they randomly came back for about five days that time I wasn't sick or drunk. After it faded that time I started to feel surreal, as if I were in a dream, furthermore I started having problems remembering things and solving problems that were once easy for me. Since then I've haven't been drinking alcohol and I've been trying to eat better. When I exercise my brain, eat right, and get enough sleep for an extended period of time I seem to get my wits back, however when I neglect doing these three things I fall back into that otiose state; accompanied sometimes by that strange tactile sensation. I'm not sure if was the weed or because at the time I wasn't taking care of myself. It's been over a year now and I still have the symptoms every once in a while but they lessen a little each time. I hope this helps in some way.
i also suffer from the same symptoms, which started after smoking weed. currently, its been going on for a few days and i'm scared it won't go away.
did you do anything that helped the sense of touch return? did the neurologist help you? i'm afraid to go because i feel nobody will understand this feeling.
I understand this feeling completely, it's happening to me right now and I have no idea what's going on, I'm only in grade 9 and at the end of the semester, I'm dealing with studying on top of this terrifying sensation, that I use to feel only while smoking weed but I'm now feeling it all the time. If anyone knows what this is, I would greatly appreciate telling me what I can do.
I suffer these symtoms (symptoms) aswell, and I suspect it might be derealization/depersonalization. wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derealization
I am also currently experiencing this tingling delayed sensation after smoking weed. I did around 130 yesterday afternoon, not my first time whatsoever, and started to experience the delayed reactions. It went away around 5 but came back at 11 when i was trying to sleep. Since then its been nonstop. If i focus i can make it go away for a few minutes but it just comes back once i relax. Im worried this will never go away. Its happened to me before when i get extremely high from bongs or brownies but its never lasted this long or come back. If anyone can relate please help! I dont want to tell my parents (im 17) if i dont have too
hey, did you ever get any medical answers for this?
It is exactly what i've been feeling/dealing with for years.  i mean EXACTLY.
hey, this is exactly what i have been feeling. Did you ever get any medical answers?
Hello, I just wanted to let you guys know of my experience with these exact same symptoms, and I have actually been through the medical system now and have a diagnosis… you may not have quite the same as me but these are feelings are terrifying and it’s reassuring sometimes to know you aren’t the only one!

Basically I have suffered from these funny medical events since I was 15 (I am now 35), it seems to last around a month on average and it seems to happen every couple of years or so, with no trigger that I can see. Of course family and friends and doctors always put it down to stress/panic attacks, and in fact I actually started to wonder if it actually could be just down to anxiety (except who could go to bed one night with a panic attack and wake up the next morning with the exact same symptoms!)

For me it lasts between 2 weeks up to 3 months at the longest, and although the symptoms seem to vary in intensity during that time there is a background, sort of, tactile ‘confusion’, and at its worst for around an hour at a time it can be downright terrifying.

My background first of all – although I have smoked weed, it has only been a handful of times and these symptoms started well before I ever tried it. Also weed is the only drug I have ever touched, I’m not even a big drinker and am a non-smoker with no other medical problems at all.

Anyway, these are the symptoms I experience:

When it is at its very worst for only approx an hour at a time:

- Delayed sense of touch, up to I’d say about a second. I end up pushing and prodding myself and biting my tongue while I work out what’s going on, and can end up quite hurting myself accidentally as when the sense of touch does hit it seems to be more sensitive… hot/cold seems to come quicker, so if I’m drinking a hot drink the heat hits first then I’m strangely surprised to feel the cup on my lip a second later.

- A sort of tactile confusion – although I can feel that some part of my body is touching something I can’t work out what – all the tactile feelings I’m getting are mixed up and out of perspective. It can feel like I’m numb and being crushed by the feeling of my clothes all at the same time.

- A horrible feeling of dizziness / vertigo – it sometimes feels like I’m falling, then I realize it’s just because I can’t feel my feet touching the floor.

- A sort of a confusion as to where my limbs are – I can’t remember how my legs and arms were laid in bed, until I move them then I can seem to get a grip.

- My tongue feels very strange – almost like it’s split in two, and occasionally almost like it’s lost somewhere outside by body (this must be like a proper hallucination!)

All the while these terrifying symptoms are going on in my head, to everyone else everything looks outwardly fine. Also I experience no headache with any of this, and also no visual disturbance – what I see with my eyes is rock sold steady.

Medium intensity symptoms:

- I also occasionally experience the weird sense of touch flashing rapidly on and off that another poster mentioned (I thought that could only be me!!) usually when I’m laying in bed just going to sleep.

- The horrible tactile confusion. Its weird, it feels almost like an optical illusion in that there are two ways to interpret the tactile things I’m feeling – the normal way or a weird ‘inverted’ way – sometimes I can almost bring on the horrible crushing feelings myself, but mostly I feel like I’m walking this mental tightrope of constantly trying to keep my sense of touch in perspective. It’s worse when there are unusual feelings – e.g. carrying a duvet upstairs can bring it all on. I admit I have occasionally been too scared to shower/bath because of the horrible crushing feelings it brings on…

When the symptoms gradually wear off after about a month, in between I feel completely normal, then a couple of years later it just hits me again out of nowhere.

You can imagine me trying to explain these symptoms to a doctor and their reaction - of course they put it down to anxiety / stress / panic attacks and start asking about my home life, to the point where I decided I would no longer seek medical help but just sit it out.

However last time it happened it was particularly bad and I developed a new symptom I hadn’t had before – at first I developed the occasional slight stutter, but then during the worst part of the attacks the stutter became so bad I was almost completely unable to speak for hours at a time. I made my way to a GP who immediately called an ambulance and said he thought I’d had a stroke… however to cut a very long story short I underwent a battery of tests (CT, cardiac tests, MRI, blood tests, epilepsy tests) and the final diagnosis, to my immense relief, is migraine.

I still suffer from these terrifying symptoms (although the loss of speech and a mental confusion has actually overtaken the tactile symptoms) however I have had lots of advice from a neurologist on coping mechanisms.

- Firstly he said that the migraines do no permanent damage, I just need to sit them out.

- He said that the usual migraine remedies would be ineffective in my case as they are mostly to cope with the pain of the migraine, but I experience no headache. He said the best immediate treatment in my case is the maximum allowed dose of aspirin at the very first sign of onset, something to do with dilation of blood vessels in the brain. Apparently caffeine can help too.

I was also prescribed propranalol as a migraine preventer - this is a beta blocker, and although I’m not entirely sure it helped the migraines it did have the side effect of stopping me freaking out, which I admit made it all a bit easier to deal with. As my migraines where so far apart though I took this for six months then stopped although I may start again when the next one hits.

Anyway I hope this may have been of use to someone, although please make sure you get medical advice on your own symptoms! But I have been experiencing these terrifying symptoms on and off for 20 years now and I’m still here and otherwise healthy so that must say something. If anyone wants to get in touch my email is nicola3 at g mail dt com – best of luck!