Neurology Community
Tingling and Numbness in Limb

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Tingling and Numbness in Limb

I have been trying to cope with this for four months now and telling myself it will go away, but I'm fed up now. I've not had a decent nights sleep in ages! It started with right thigh numbness only at night time, I'd notice that if I'd get up half way through the night my leg would be numb, I was still able to fully move my leg, I just couldn't feel anything. I ignored it, thinking I had slept on it funny. But it carried on.
Eventually it got to the point that whenever I sat or lay down, my right thigh would tingle like 'pins and needles' and go numb. This made it very difficult to fall to sleep. Moving my leg would into a different position would help, but just for a minute or two and then carry on again. I thought it might have been a trapped nerve but I can't imagine it would have lasted this long now.
But now.. I have the exact same pain in my left arm, from shoulder to finger tips. Which again is worse when I am sitting down, laying or driving. This has made me think even more so that it can't be a trapped nerve now.
With my leg, I thought it might have been just added pressure on my leg because I am overweight (21 years, female, 5 ft 4 and 189 lbs), but my arm??? Just makes me wonder.
Does anyone else experience the same thing? Has anyone had it explained by a doctor, because I live in England and believe me, it is near impossible to get an appointment with your doctor over here! It would heal by the time I got to speak to anyone lol.
Any help would be great! :) thanks. Zoe
Hi, Thank you for your question. It is likely that your symptoms could be due to injury to a nerve, pressure on spinal or peripheral nerves (neuropathy), vitamin deficiency, lack of blood supply due to cholesterol plaque from atherosclerosis in the extremities, viral infection and use of certain medications.  In addition, atherosclerosis can also cause pain, numbness, and tingling while walking and they can also reduce blood supply and lead to numbness. Please consult your doctor to get all these possibilities evaluation in your case for further assessment. Hope this helps.

Hello, thank you for your response. The pain / tingling in my arm went away within a day or two of my post, so everything is now okay with that.
But I still have the same pain/feelings in my right thigh. Only now with a mild ache in my lower back and tingling in my right groin/hip area when I sit down.
I think it may be Meralgia Paresthetica because the numbness and tingling only occurs on the outer thigh and sometimes on the front. I've been doing a fair bit of research about it on the internet and the only thing that makes me doubt it is that every website says it occurs more with walking and exercise and is relieved with rest. For me it is the complete opposite, its almost like everytime my back is straight (when I am lying down) it hurts. Which now makes me think it may be spinal? I am very confused about the whole thing and the next available appointment for me at my doctors practice is in a months time :(