Neurology Community
Topamax, Elavil for chronic tension headache?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I've been experiencing daily tension headaches which get a lot worse later in the day and my neuro doc suggested I take Topamax and a low dose of Elavil (10mg) at night.

Anyone knows anything about these drugs? Do they alleviate headaches?  

I really don't want anything to do with tricyclic antidepressants like Elavil, but if it helps....

Thanks!
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. If you have tension headaches, elavil a tricyclic antidepressant is indicated. Other relevant drugs are naproxen, anaprox, naprelan, ibuprofen, advil, motrin nuprin, pedia care, non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs etc. topiramate or topamax is indicated as a preventive medicine in migraine headaches. So let your physician prescribe you any of the above medicines, while you could have one of the over the counter analgesics. Take care.
i have migraines and take topamax....it does relieve the headaches as a daily medication, just as long as they get the dosing correct.  (and make sure you take it at the same time every day)  i have noticed if i take it late then i tend to have the headaches the next day.  you might see if they can put you on a medication in case you have a headache while on the topamax.  i take maxalt when i have a migraine in between my topamax dose (which i only take at night)
Hi, Im an RN. I had periorbital migraines and was placed on Topamax, technically an anti-seizure but also great for migraine/headache control and mood stabilization in bipolar disorder. That for a while was the only thing that worked for me. It can have a sedative and appetite suppressant effect. I was also shortly on a low dose of Elavil for migraines. Carefull with that one, take only the amount prescribed. That one I found to have the least amount of side effects out of all the antidepressants-tricyclis, but can be sedating as well.
Thank you all for your replies!  I forgot to mention that I'm already taking Wellbutrin XL 150MG once a day and Klonopin 1 mg. Not sure if the Elavil can be taken along with those two.

Is the Topamax sedating?  I heard it can impact memory recall in a very bad way, last thing I need....but I do like the appetite suppresant effect.