Neurology Community
Trigeminal Nerve or C3-C4 problem?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Trigeminal Nerve or C3-C4 problem?

I have been following with a neurologist for a little more than two years now.  I have had odd sensations for many years and a history of what was believed to be optic neuritis.  Slightly over two years ago I had an episode of left sided weakness and numbness that lasted only several minutes followed by continued weakness for about a day.  After that episode things have basically returned to as normal as I would guess normal would be for me.  I always notice strange sensations on the left side now.  I do have a spot now in the right subcortical white matter, parietal lobe I do believe.  This was diagnosed as a stroke, although all MRI reports list MS as a differential, and one of my most recent suggested vasculitis as a differential as well.  

Fast forward to now.  I have been experiencing a strange feeling every day, multiple times a day (>20) for approximately two months now.  It is a numb like feeling that feels like it originates deep inside my ear and moves up the temple towards the scalp and may sometimes move across my cheek, underneath my eye  and occasionally down towards my jaw.  The best way to describe the ear symptom is almost like when you get goose bumps.  It's a similar feeling.  I have been followed by an ENT for history of vertigo and probably Meniere's Disease.   I have seen my ENT and my ear canal is fine.  No problems he could see with respect to my ear.  My ENT ordered a new MRI of brain and had requested my June neurology appointment be moved up.  I saw the nurse practioner yesterday at the neurologist's office and she suggested something with the trigeminal nerve or possibly something with my neck.  I do know that i have a small herniation of the C3-C4 disc.  I also follow with a rheumatologist based on a positive ANA several years ago and he suspects Wegener's based on the history of my labs and a positive C-ANCA.  I guess I have a lot of questions.  If this were to be isolated to the trigeminal nerve, would a lesion be on the left or right side of the brain?  Can a herniated cervical neck cause facial and scalp symptoms?  Can Wegener's manifest itself like this with respect to the brain and/or inner ear?  I am scheduled for both a brain MRI and cervical MRI this coming Wednesday.

Thank you very much.
Janice