Neurology Community
Twitching in temple/ around ear

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Twitching in temple/ around ear

I started to have twitching near the ear, temple back in October. It was an odd occurence which caused me to jump, as the suprise of the sudden twitch. While I wouldn't describe it as very painful, it was rather alarming and quite worrying

Around the time I had got it, I had been having a lot of caffeine ( something which I no longer do), but also had got a palm to the ear area about perhaps a week or two beforehand. Slight hearing loss occured for a while, but then returned to normal. Soon after twitching seemed to start. Is it possible the knock to the ear triggered this? Or could the high levels of caffeine intake at the time have influenced it? I still feel this twitches, but not as dramatic as when they first started nor as alarming.

I have recently been diagnosed with sinnusitis ( chronic) and am awaiting a specialist soon. Is it possible the sinnusitis brought on the twitching?

As well as temple twitching I occasionall feel twitching in my legs, shoulder, chest ( not regularly, once or twice it has happened only) and in the buttox region. While this is not paingul it is peculiar

Other pains I've had is a tingling on the head, sharp pains ( not as frequent again as it was a few months back) and pain and pressure around the side of my head ( left and right)

I have also had the sensation of liquid moving in my head, after doing research on forums, this is possibly to do with post nasal drip. Is liquid moving on the top head possibly post nasal drip? ( most explanations of post nasal drip on the web make no mention to the feeling in the head but rather in the throat or nose)

Thanks, any help is much appreciated.

Interestingly, I find water intake decreases my twitches
Hello.

The twitch in the temple area is most probably part of a generalized body twitching. Such twitching can come as a result of stress and anxiety. They are benign fasciculations. You will have to reduce the stress in your life. It could be your job, home, etc.

The water running down on the top of the head is not a post nasal drip. It is due to irritation of some nerve. This could be due to the palm.

Please watch your symptoms for a few more days and consult a physician if the symptoms of water running down do not reduce.

Regards
O.k, thank you very much for the advice

So then none of it is severe? I also have sharp pains/pressure aorund my ear area, could this be sinusitis?
Hi - I have a friend going through just the same thing you describe - please call him at 865-712-9770.   He is very upset by this and it's been going on for over 2 weeks.   thanks!   His name is Timothy and I took him to ER on Sunday so he'll tell you what the doctor said - CT scan of head came out ok, but it could be one of three things.   He has a nerve jumping and lots of pain in temple and jaw off and on for going on three weeks!
Avatar n tn
Hi..........I am experiencing some of your problems as well. It started with a headache above my right eyebrow. My dr. gave me a decongestant and it didnt work. Then, my eye(right) started twitching, as well as right temple. I decided to diagnose myself with chronic sinusitis. I have always had sinus problems so it made sense. My Dr. prescribed Biaxin. Still taking the Biaxin as we speak however symptoms haven't subsided. I have always feared a brian tumor bc my grandmother died from it at 35! I had a ct scan and nothing was found. They didnt use the dye though. Some can definitely go unnoticed! I woke up this morning with nausea and a terrible headache. Thats #1 symptom of tumor. Also, I dont have siezures but so have severe panic attacks which was diagnosed as generalized anxiety disorder years ago. So, since I have that, everytime I tell my dr a symoptom its just "stress". Well, Im sorry for rambling but my poirnt to all this is to not let it go and get several opinions from neurologist, ent, and your primary.
hello for the past 1yr or so I have been with this excessive twitching around my outer ear. its very annoying and would like to know what is the cause. if anyone can tell me, it would be great since this is driving me up the wall, it is constant behind the ear over the right ear. and its like my ear has a mind of its own. I massage it, put pressure over different areas. and nothing. can any one help me pls? thank you