Neurology Community
Unbearable Scalp Pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Unbearable Scalp Pain

I really need help! I'm an eighteen year old girl, and my scalp is so sensitive that I can't stand to have it brushed. When I do brush it, it feels like someone is cutting the skin; I can feel every hair that is pulled out. So far I haven't noticed a rash, bump, etc. (at least, not yet; I have extremely thick hair, as well). This isn't new, either, it's happened for my entire life. The pain can become so severe that I vomit and get lightheaded. If you can help, please do. I don't know what else to do.
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms Possibilities that may need to be considered include infections, inflammations, hormonal/ endocrine/ metabolic/ autoimmune causes, neurological issues etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an internist initially and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
You sound exactly like my daughter who is 17. She has had the scalp pain for about 6 years and it is getting worse and worse to the point where she can barely wash her hair without pain and can't blow dry it or put a comb in it. It is very long and she cuts it only once a year because she can't stand the trip to the salon.

I have taken her to every doctor conceivable for hormone tests, brain scans, you name it. She does have hashimoto's thyroiditis and lyme disease and no amount of antibiotics help. She is so fatigued all the time, and she can sleep until noon and later on weekends. Of late, she is also getting headaches with the pain on occasion. The next step for her is a brain spect.

I have read some dr's will say it is psychological, but I don't buy that at all. She feels like someone is pouring acid on her hair follicles or they are bruised. I know the sensation well because I had it only a few times in my life, and it feels like a knife cutting you. One dr said it could be a form of neuropathy with sensitive nerve endings. She has no rashes or itching either and many years back, at least shampooing would help it for a couple of days but then the pain was right back and very intense.

I'm at my wit's end too, and I hope and pray I can find some dr to explain this sensation that it seems many people have. She loses hair in the shower and had a very thick head of hair, but it is noticeably thinner (not alopecia thank goodness).

I do hope you have several blood tests and scans to rule things out, as we did, but it is doubtful that the lyme and hashimoto's is the cause of such terrible scalp pain.

Best of luck to you!
just saw this, check it out:
http://www.runwashington.com/news/737/309/Magnesium-The-Nerve-End-Mineral.htm