Neurology Community
Unexplained left thumb tremors, and more...?

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I apologize for the title being so ambiguous, but I have no idea how to describe it. I am a 38 year old white male in Florida, generally very active and an avid weightlifter. However, lately my body has begun to apparently "rebel" against me. The list of symptoms sounds completely absurd, but they are what they are. Hopefully someone here will at least have some idea what's going on? I will attempt to be as brief as possible.

My left thumb acts like it has a motor in it if I have it down by my side. It tends to curl and rub against one of my other fingers rapidly, which is driving me crazy. I CAN stop it, for the most part, by intentionally straightening my fingers out. It is tapping right now while attempting to type, when I let it rest on the spacebar (my wrists are on a table). Occasionally, when holding something stationary, my pinky will act odd also, kind of wanting to "swoop" out at something. That doesn't make much sense, but I can't really think of the correct words to describe it. On the same subject of my left side, while weightlifting, I've noticed in my bench press that it takes me longer to press the left side up. Note that I CAN still press the weight (often 300+ pounds), but my arms are not in sync, and it has caused me to develop the (bad) habit of turning my head/neck towards my left while pressing, unintentionally, which is very poor form and potentially dangerous.

Lately, I've been having odd muscle spasms - some lasting more than a day - in various places on the left side of my body. My left foot near my toes, my stomach, my left pec muscle, my left triceps, and my shoulder in the back upper left.  Also, I - and this is really odd - have woken several days in the past month, with a shoulder, or somewhere in my back, feeling like I injured it weightlifting...while asleep. I know of no other way to describe it.

Often my left foot feels perpetually stuck in a "not quite awake" state; that is, it's kind of, um, "clunky". It just doesn't feel right, having that feeling of weakness you do after a hand or foot has fallen asleep and it's just regained feeling. Sorry if that's a vague description, I"m not sure how to describe it. It is *not* painful.

Lastly, and I am *very* well aware that this may not be related, my mental acuity isn't quite up to par. I do "small dumb things"; a good example is today, I took a shower, shampooed my hair, rinsed, and then put shampoo in my hair again before I realized I had already shampooed and washed it. This isn't a unique experience. I often find myself opening my phone to look up something on google, only to have forgotten what I was going to google by the time the browser is open. I am no rocket scientist, far from it, but I have always excelled in school and had a sharp wit. I feel a little like my mind is betraying me, at far too young of an age.

I am posting this here because I simply don't have the money to go see a doctor about it. I work a full-time, but not particularly well-paying job, and support three children. At my income level, the children are covered by Medicaid, but I myself am on a "shared cost" plan, meaning I have to hit nearly $500 in medical costs in a MONTH before I am eligible for full coverage the rest of the month. Great for something really serious, but pretty useless for a doctor's appointment.

Thus far, it isn't really causing me huge problems in my job or everyday life, but my trembling finger/hand in particular is embarassing, as are the mental blunders. I've had people advise me to lay off of heavy weightlifting, so I haven't touched them for nearly a month; honestly, things have only gotten worst. I'm about at my wits end, and would appreciate ANY suggestions of at least anything I could do to improve this.

Tags: tremor, spasm