Neurology Community
Urinary incontinence

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Urinary incontinence

I suffer from periodic urge incontinence and it's back again. I'm leaning on the neuro side of causative factors because of the 'come and go' nature of it and also because I have a ton of other neuro things such as periodic gait problems, issues with nerves (buzzing/tingling/burning), trigeminal neuralgia and other things. I have been diagnosed with fibro (with all the assorted goodies that brings) and have been worked up for MS (negative).

Any insight or suggestions on where to go from here? Dr's are baffled with me atm and are taking a wait and see approach, which is all well and good until you pee your pants in a store. I'm 35, female and have had two kids. I'm trying to manage this by frequently urinating and using a pad. It helps but doesn't eliminate it completely - and obviously a ton of the problem is simply the worry that I'll have an accident in a very public venue. It's different from stress incontinence - while that's irritating on it's own at least it's not such a large volume and is more easily disguised and dealt with.
Hi, It sounds like slipped disc condition. In slipped disc or disc prolapse condition occurred and consequently symptoms originated due to nerve root pressure or damage, pressure on the spinal cord/pressure on the tail bone. Common symptoms could be paralysis of muscles, pain radiating to the arms or legs, leg pain and numbness, tingling, or weakness. Warning symptoms can include loss of control of the bladder function, paralysis & spasticity of both the legs that you are experiencing now. Since you are suffering continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in legs, loss of control of bowel/bladder function, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away. Further referral to a physiotherapist for spinal exercises, use of back braces, surgical intervention (such as diskectomy), steroid injection in back and pain killers could be beneficial and may produce relief of symptoms. Urinary/bowel incontinence may be treated with methods like behavioral method (learning how to delay urination, going for the urination according to the clock rather than urgency, fluid & diet management), physical therapy (Kegel’s exercise-pelvic floor muscle strengthening, electrical stimulation) and certain medications can be recommended by your treating doctor to get some relief from your symptoms. Hope this helps. Take Care & Stay Healthy!!!
Sounds like you are a wonderful doctor.

buriedinfur,

I have gone through all of what you have described -- neuro and MS symptoms etc. also, and despite my neurologist's and spinal specialist's opinions, I have been labeled as having a neurogenic bladder (and colon).  My urologist wants to treat me as if I were a MS patient, as I do have multiple other MS-type problems, but my neurologist balks at that.  While I have had tests of various types that showed I had disc problems in 3 places in the past, the newer tests don't show that.  I am a bit of a skeptic about tests now.  I wonder how many people have had unneeded surgeries in the past.  

I have tried the behavioral, fluid and diet management, physical therapy, and various medications.  I am better right now, but it is far from perfect.  I take a med for urinary tract infections, a med for the bladder control, cranberry supplement, Gelnique gel sachets, and I use a CPAP at night.  I take a lot of other meds for neurological disorders, etc.  There are times that I am desperate enough to do the catherization that the urologist talks about.

Keep trying with the doctors and change doctors if you need to.  Someone will take you seriously.