Neurology Community
Wet leg sensation

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Wet leg sensation

Ten years ago I was paralysed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. I have recovered but still have residual neuropathy problems, particularly affecting my feet and hands. I am well catered for on these problems.

I tend to attribute every event since to the GBS, but a severe pain in my lower back has now been identified as Stenosis. I am in the care of a an excellent physician who has some proposals for helping to ease the pain and to look at longer term possible options. I believe that the stenosis predates the GBS, and was probably caused by running on tarmac roads.

I have all the normal buzzing, and sudden eruptions of pain from the GBS, but one additional weird manifestation is the sudden feeling that my legs and feet are wet. I rub them and find them dry as a bone.   I am not sure if this is connected with the GBS or the Stenosis, or both, and it is not a problem that I cannot live with. But in a world where everyhting is bizzare this is probably the most weird in that category.

Any thoughts  would be welcome, just for information rather than for a cure.  
Hi, Thank you for your question. In GBS there may be a decreased immunity, so you may experience symptoms due to other associated underlying disorders. Although there is no permanent cure for GBS, but treatment like plasmapheresis, physiotherapy, pain killer, blood thinners etc help reduce symptoms, treat complications, and speed up recovery. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist who will evaluate the further possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your comments. I did have plasma exchange after the preferred treatment of Immunoglobulin failed to have any effect on my paralysis. But the plasma exchange did work, and movement returned after about two months of daily plasma exchange. It was weird to see the yellow bottle containing the affected plasma with the GBS in it, and to know that on each day's treatment 1 or 2% of the evil GBS was being taken out.  I have been back to check with my consultant, and a further EMG has revealed that I am clear. I am left with residual problems but I can walk and that is all that really counts.  I do have Stenosis which adds to my pain, and GBS left me with clawed feet which I am going to have straightened and pinned. But despite my year of horror I am very happy to have survived.  Once again thank you for commenting.