Neurology Community
White spots on MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

White spots on MRI

HI,
This is my third post!  Sorry...just freaking a bit. I won't repeat my sx as I posted earlier.  but just went for my MRI of brain and C spine, w/and w/o contrast. They didn't give me the report, said doc will have it next Tues. So, of course I'm going to be searching for the white spots on the films,...and I do see two bright spots enchanced with gaddium, and white matter around c spine. This is my question: Can white spots on the brain be caused by Lyme, Toxoplasmosis and other things?? How does the neuro know it's MS, are their certain characteristics/location of MS lesions??

If anyone else is moving or considering going thru the diagnostic period...I can give you subjective feedback on the DX tests.  This month, I have had the evoked potentials (visual, somatic, auditory) and MRI. Have a balance test next week, then an EMG/NCV and lastly a Spinal tap.  I should know by end of month if it's MS...As I said earlier..the only positive serum test was for toxoplasmosis.
Your neuro will be able to tell what is causing the white spots.MS is usually confined to certain areas,but can be found in others.
I have had all the general test evoked potentials ,EMG/NCS, MRI's,EEG, ENG/VNG(balance testing) lumbar puncture.

Through all the test your neuro will know what it is.Good luck to you.
If its MS,its livable.
Hi : I in in the midst of what you are in. My DR was hoping to find more spots than he found w me. Two on frontal lobe w me. He said he cannot rule out a tumor still.and that MS is possible  so i guess two spots w me anyway can warrant that possibility. I didn;t know that it would be a long process w this, either,and thought after MRI w contrast the spots would be more visible or w a direct diagnosis. I have had the evoked potentials etc all normal, but now am getting numbness in my facial area..and lip feels numb. I ams orry i am not a DR and can wish you only good luck. I am not a stanger to medical DR's having had a rare childhood tumor at 12 , and that is a small concern w me. But after 5 yrs the DR who was a top doc and wonderful cleared me for any cancer. That was not in the brain but in my abdomen..that has kept me very upset over my headaches.. I will say  a pray for you.. Keep on trudging..you can do this.. if i can.. More tests for me too, Not lumbar yet , but will soon.. Take good care , Kit
LYME DISEASE! Learn about it because only "lyme literate" doctors know anything about thisdisease; it is epidemic. One of my doctors that misdiagnosed me with rhuematoid arth. and gave me chemo drugs opened my eyes. She said she only will follow protocol of what is in the medical journals.There is no protocol for chronic lyme.
I couldn't walk or talk for many months. I have been still trying to get under control after 6-10 years! Be as knowledgible as you can. There are different websites, begin with lyme.org or ILADS doctors. If this is your case, it is hard to find a doctor. Testing is sooo inaccurate. It took me 3yrs to get a positive test. It must be a Western Blot blood test, sent to CA. Be your own best advocate. This is nothing to mess with. I have perm. nueropathy in extremities, brain, eyes, heart, balance, memory, and PAIN. It could have been prevented if I knew any of this. Good luck!
***@****
You're doing the right thing in getting the tests! In most cases your doctors are going to get good info from all the tests and be able to indicate whether they think you may have MS or not. In some cases you'll have to wait awhile to get a diagnosis, but you'll still have an idea what they will be looking for  in the future. The main thing is you'll be taking the road to potentially living with MS.

I've been diagnosed for 36 years and pretty much have experienced most of what MS has to offer. I'd never say it was a fun disease, it's weird and ruthless and sometimes even perverse; but it's usually doable-as Young at Heart said--it's livable.

I have had a wonderful life despite being dx'd the year after we were were married. We had three kids and all the normal children activities. I just had a bit more pain and obnoxious things happen in life than most people--but I'm a tough mama. You can be too! Don't freak--get mind control now and help determine your destiny--you do have some control over how this thing called MS affects you!  Write me if you think I can help you. jane in indiana
i know  exactly how you feel i just went through a bunch of tests these last two years. i had three brain mri's done . my white spots are called white matter . they ruled out ms because i had nothing in the spine. i still don;t have an answer but they have considered cadasil. do you have other symptoms ? i hope that helps. good luck
My daughter is going through the same thing right now. He ruled out MS because her spine fluid was clear. Now she must go through more blood test and another MRI in three months to compare to the first one.Seems like a long process. Hope all is well with you.
                                Sincerely,
                                   JoAnn Zuppert
                                    ***@****