Neurology Community
Why is my head falling asleep

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Why is my head falling asleep

Good Evening,

I am a 26 year old female that has recently been suffering from numbness and tingling in my head. I have a under active  thyroid and have currently not had pills in almost two years. My arms/legs/buttocks/back frequently fall asleep, but usually only when I have been sitting on/ applying pressure. But recently my head started falling asleep. It started out at being the back or the sides when I was lying down, I though it was weird, but just assumed it was due to applied pressure. But for the last 2 days my head has felt like it it asleep and numb, following by tingling sensations, these all occur without no applied pressure and have spread from the back of my head to what feels like all around. I want to see a doctor, but I am still triyng to get health insurance, and I am really concerned something is seriously wrong with me. These tingling/numbing in the head is not followed by a migraine. What could be wrong with me. Any help/ info you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Hi SarahSS
I am a 40 year old female and back in November I too developed symptoms similar to yours. Tingling and numbness in my head and going to the right side, along with numbness and tingling all down my right arm. I was already under a neurologist due to white spots found on my brain scan. When I saw him in December he prescribed Gabapentin 100mg three times a day. he did say that this was the lowest dose and if necessary it could be increased by my GP. I asked him what he thought it was but he was rather dismissive and just said that the symptoms would probably just disappear. I researched my symptoms on the net and realised that what I am experiencing is Neuropathic pain which can be caused by numerous things. All to which I have not had. I found out that sometimes it is hard to pinpoint what is causing these symptoms and it's just about managing the weird pains and sensations.
At the end of December I visited my GP again as I had no relief from the symptoms. He increased the Gabapentin to 300mg three times a day. I am still waiting for some relief.
Next Monday I have another brain scan booked. Not sure whether consultant will figure out anything more from this.
I hope this info helps a little. Maybe once you get insurance you could try seeing a neurologist.
I wish you well SarahSS. Let me know how things go hun.
Take care

Libs

xxx
Good Morning Libs,

Thank you very much for your feedback and I'm sorry to hear they can't figure out what is causing the sensations. I've been doing a little research myself and I think it's just driving me crazy, and I need to see a doctor. I'm going to a local clinic this afternoon, just for some peace of mind I suppose. Not sure if it will help. I've also been under a lot of stress lately and I'm not sure if that contributes. But this is just the strangest thing, as I'm sure it is for you too. I wish you the best in figuring this out and please keep me posted as well!!

All my best,

SarahSS :)
Im 24 year old female that has been experiencing the same symptoms.  I went to my chiropractor and explained to him what was going on and he told me it was the muscles in my neck that was causing the numbness and tingling on my head.  He also told me that if your head is tender it has to do alot with the tingling.  Just take your fingers and feel for the plates on your head and slowly pull them apart.  I do this once a day when I am watching t.v. or something and I havn't felt the tingling or numbing anymore.  If this doesn't make sense just go to the chiropractor. Most people think they don't know what they are talking about but they do.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I want to stress here that Ergonomics for every person is very important.
Ergonomics on bed, while driving to work, sitting in office and the position you normally stay most of the time. Long hours of stressful positions normally also in long term give you this nerve tingling.
You should give a break in between stressful jobs and also most of the problems are due to stress on the back and this causes irritation of the nerve root and that area of spine from where the spinal nerve supplies the arm etc.
You should go to a Chiropractor and also to a Neurologist when the symptoms occur.
Take care!
So for the last 2 days i have had very similar symptoms. I'm 31 yr old male and healthy. EXACTLY HALF of my head is numb and tingling. Also I get mini very sharp pains in various parts of the same(right) side. The pain doesn't last long but it does hurt. I also am feeling pain in my right ear(it's on and off). Are any of you feeling this in your face as well (cheek, forehead, chin, ext)? This is only on my right side very strange. literally half my chin, Half my head ect. I can draw i line with my finger.

I am going to see a doctor in the next week or so and I will post my results.

Nicholas
Ive been feeling the same thing..numbness on my head. I dont so often feel the tingling, but the numbness quite a bit. Im lost and dont know what this could be. Ive been experiencing this for about 4 month now. Need help! Please if you have been to the Doctor and know some kind of information please write to me. This is so weird cause its never really happened before and im doing the same as most of you..a lot of research, but no answers.

Thank you for reading
Lily
Hi SarahSS,
You are not alone. A year ago November 4 I will have had my tingling sensations for a year. It started with my right leg going to sleep during work. I was in the hospital for pneumonia for 6 days in August prior to that and then developed a yeast infection from the anitibodics. I took diflucan on 2 separate occasion with in 2 weeks and had stroke like symptoms and had to go to the emergency room.I never had a problem with diflucan prior to that.  I then started having panic attacks which they think I developed anxiety from post traumatic stress due to the pneumonia or the two attacks and it was after that that the tingling started. It was tingling, crawling, biting, water running in my right leg, buttocks, right arm shoulder, back and face. I was headed for a nervous break down and seeked emergency counseling. I have been seeing a neuorlogist and a psychiatrist. I am better than I was as the feeling now is just a prickling sensations in my legs, right shoulder and arm. Sometime it appears in other places. I am currently taking neuortin 300mg 3 times a day and pristiq for depression. I am not sure if the neuortin is helping as I don't understand why it won't ago away. It is worse at work as I sit all day but I do get up and walk around. My neuorlogist can't guarantee it will go away but thinks it will. It is very annoying. I have even tried acupuncture so maybe the next step is a chriopractor. If anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated.
You are not alone. A year ago November 4 I will have had my tingling sensations for a year. It started with my right leg going to sleep during work. I was in the hospital for pneumonia for 6 days in August prior to that and then developed a yeast infection from the anitibodics. I took diflucan on 2 separate occasion with in 2 weeks and had stroke like symptoms and had to go to the emergency room.I never had a problem with diflucan prior to that.  I then started having panic attacks which they think I developed anxiety from post traumatic stress due to the pneumonia or the two attacks and it was after that that the tingling started. It was tingling, crawling, biting, water running in my right leg, buttocks, right arm shoulder, back and face. I was headed for a nervous break down and seeked emergency counseling. I have been seeing a neuorlogist and a psychiatrist. I am better than I was as the feeling now is just a prickling sensations in my legs, right shoulder and arm. Sometime it appears in other places. I am currently taking neuortin 300mg 3 times a day and pristiq for depression. I am not sure if the neuortin is helping as I don't understand why it won't ago away. It is worse at work as I sit all day but I do get up and walk around. My neuorlogist can't guarantee it will go away but thinks it will. It is very annoying. I have even tried acupuncture so maybe the next step is a chriopractor. If anyone has any other advice it would be greatly appreciated. . Reply .« Previous
hi i developed the same symptoms in me wht it was due to stress , thinking abt those problems which was never been there and work am mention work here cuz due to these i cant sleep but i have to do my routine life and office work .. then i finally start trying to find out the solutions of problems rather then to think over it while am driving alone or trying to make my self on my bed. i start listening light music and some times also Naats (as am muslim)   and both help me out alot to get out from this acute kind of feels and pain ...
P.S here i would like to make a note for my every reader tht dont forgot to take ur DR advices also . plus review ur self n think over it tht whts really bugging u cuz it tooks me 1 week to realize wht are my problems are and whts happing to me ..
do remember me in ur prayers if this helps u out :)
My strong suggestion is to see an osteophathic physician who practices "manipulation."   In short, an osteopathic physician is like a chiropractor (but infinitely better), as they actually attend medical school.  The key is that the osteopathic physician must perform "manipulation" (a term of art).   Many osteopathic physicians don't perform manipulation. These doctors are unreal.  They solve these type of "freaky" problems all the time. I'll give the names of a few of these doctors at the end of this posting.  About 15 years ago, I had a roommate who was an osteopathic physician.  Had never heard of one and presumed it was some quack science.   My roommate solved these types of weird problems all the time.  I later had some quirck injuries and he fixed them (I was totally amazed).   He told me that manipulation solves almost all bizarre problems.  
    Two osteopathic physicians that I know are in California and Florida (my old roommate - - he moved back to Florida from California - - bummer).  The osteopathic doctor in California is Aline Fournet, located in Escondido, CA.  It is unreal what she can do.  The doctor in Florida is Brett Thomas, in Orlando.
   Both of these osteopathic physicians trained under the top osteopathic physician in the world, Viola Fryman, who runs a center called "The Osteopathic Center for Children" in San Diego.   They don't simply treat children, however, Dr. Fryman does limit her treatment to children.