Neurology Community
bilateral arm/hands numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

bilateral arm/hands numbness

My 16-year-old daughter is experiencing complete numbness in both arms, from the elbow crease to the finger tips.  This has been ongoing since August, 2009 (the last time she remembers feeling anything), though she had intermittent pain in the arms for two years prior to the onset of the numbness.  The symptoms have progressed slightly during this time to move further up the arms, and have started causing problems with writing in school, mainly because she cannot feel the pencil.  She has had x-rays of the cervical spine (normal), blood work (normal), and a nerve conduction study (normal).  The first neurologist who saw her immediately said it was psychosomatic.  She is now in physical therapy for back pain, and has had some more extensive testing of light touch, pinprick, temperature, and vibration, none of which she can feel.  She also has periodic headaches/migraines ...though has never been diagnosed as such.  She is scheduled to see another neurologist at the end of the month, and a counselor, as well.  I need some guidance on what questions to ask the new neurologist, and what this could possibly be.