chronic muscle spasms
I have severe chronic  muscle spasms in neck, shoulders, thoracic and lower back.  the only time I'm not in severe pain with this is when I am completely still.  I've been to therapy many times over the last 5 yrs, which always has left me in worse condidtion.  muscle relaxant have been of little use beside making me sleepy.  I now notice that my calves are starting to cramp up as  I walk.  I swim and do aquatherapy ,as these seem to be the only source of non particularly painful activities.  what causes so much muscle activity.  I've had botox shots for the neck which stops the intense  burning, but does not releave the muscle "knots".  Neurologist seems to be at lost..what are the causes and what can I do?

Hi, Thank you for your question. This muscle spasm is also called as muscle fasciculation & appears when the muscle contracts on its own (without nerve stimulation).  Most of the times these symptoms occur without any underlying disorder & they are not harmful or may appear after anxiety, hormonal imbalance, viral illness or long term illness. But sometimes this muscle twitching appears as atrophy and weakness of muscle as well. Most likely cause of this twitching with weakness or atrophy of muscle can be when the nerve supplying to muscles is not functioning properly due to any neurological disorder. If you suffer continuous weakness and notice reduced strength of muscle bulk in areas, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!
Thank you for your response - THe neurologist sent me to a pain clinic who then sent me to a surgeon.  Surgeon said I was not a surgical candidate, which is good,  pain mgmt clinic wants  to give me shots in"facets" area.  In the meantime, I have jolting pain when I twist, reach, sit, cough, and after that I can feel the msucle tighten and go into spasm.. I'm practiclly a prisoner in my own home, as I find it too painful to live normally..  are these "facet" shots the answer?
I'm suffering from same condition plz let me know if u get yur answers the pain is so bad I don't even get relief from lying still