Neurology Community
chronic pain -burning stinging

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

chronic pain -burning stinging

I have had fibromyalgia for almost 20 years, i have learned to cope with the pain from it. However recently I have had chronic burning pain on the left side of my mid back, and it recently started burning in my upper stomach- but on the skin not in my stomach. I know I have neuropathy as well, and that went from zero to full pain in a few short months. I also have burning in my feet, toes legs. What I don't know is if fibromyalgia could cause this pain or if its the neuropathy. I do not have insurance so I would have to pay cash. But I am unsure which doctor to go to. The neurologist will cost me 450.00 just for the consultation that does not include testing or dr appointment after consultation or the medicines. If it can be the fibromyalgia I could go to a different doctor. It is so painful I really don't know what to do.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello dear and welcome to the medhelp forum. Pain associated with fibromyalgia is constant and dull aching coming from the muscles. It may be widespread and on both sides of body. However, there is an association of irritable bowel syndrome with it, your symptoms of burning severe pain in skin over stomach and peripheries could be stemming from the neuropathy. I understand your financial concerns, it is possible that you could show to a physician who might help and intervene and refer to a neurologist only if deemed necessary. Possibly, they will prescribe you one of the antidepressants or anti convulsants like gabapentin or pregabalin, stimulate the affected nerve electrically. Hope this helps. Wish you all the best.

Thank you. I was unsure if the stinging-burning in my back and upper but outer stomach was neuropathy or my fibromyalgia. The burning is so bad I just cant stand it. I just dont know what to do. But, thank you- at least now I do know  a little more. No one I spoke to who had neuropathy ever had it in the back or stomach, only the feet and hands. So I was a little confused since the pain is the same in my feet and legs. Is this normal to have it like that?
Help! Im a 22 year old woman who is otherwise usually helathy until this past year! It all started back in November with a simple suposed Bronchitis Infection. The infection was treated and went away. Shortly after I started getting daily headaches, feelings of extreme tiredness, moments of moderate to severe dizzy spells, and achey (achy)/tender feelings all over my body. The headaches range from a 5 to 10 on a pain scale and never seem to completely subside. When first seeing these sympotms my doctor diagnosed it as a sinus infection, but since november I have been back to her at least once a month. Every month up until this last visit in February 2012, she prescribed me a different antibiotic and dismissed it as a sinus infection. I HAD ENOUGH. This past visit I went in telling her all of these sypmtoms over again, insisting that the antibiotics were not working and that I did not believe I had a sinus infection anymore, and that I would not keep putting antibiotics in my system if they werent  needed or helping the cause of my problems. She became very testy, short winded and sent me for blood work and a cat scan. After she had promised she would call with the cat scan results she never called and still has not to this day even after I picked up the results myself ( it has been 4 days) I am still waiting on my blood work results which should suposedly be ready today Friday February 24th, and I have a feeling I will have to get my own answers on that as well since I believe my doctor will not call. Aside from her incompetence and unprofessionalisim.. Im very worried about my symptoms and what could be wrong. So many people on different health forums have similar if not the same exact symptoms as I describe, and theyve never been treated or found answers! I feel as if the symptoms grow slowly worse.. I have trouble completing the daily tasks that usually Id have no trouble with. I have pain in what feels to be the middle of my back..possibly my spine, my lower back, and the base of my neck. The headaches range from the frontal location, to both temporal lobes, to the top of my head, and really never stay in one set location.Ive tried tylenol, aleeve, excederin, and buterol with caffine which is supposed to help headaches and has caused no relief. Ive found I cannot take excederin or any sort of sudafed medication because it makes my heart race, and causes more sleeplessness, and irritability than I already expreience. My dizzyness also causes extreme nausea in some cases. Two seperate ocassions within weeks of each other, I had experienced pins and needles like never before in my face, nose, and  hands, both times my body felt numb, and I lost feeling in my hands. They became clenched in a locked position fingertips touching the inside of my palms. I experienced heavy breathing, chest pain, dizzyness and vomiting. The most recent ocassion that this happened I did take excederin, so im not sure if it was a reaction the the meds or that this is indeed part of my symptoms unrelated to the medicince. Please if anyone has any knowledge or advice concerning this contact me(***@****) or write back in this forum.Thank you.