Neurology Community
crippled but mri shows hardly anything unusual
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

crippled but mri shows hardly anything unusual

Hi
I live in the UK and suffered a minor back injury 8 years ago while working. Since then, I have managed to carry on almost normally with only a handful of days off work.
In January 2012 though, I was woken up by a white flash (I thought the room light had been turned on) and intense back pain. My back was in spasm. I was unable to leave my bed for days and unable to return to work for months. 10 months later and I am only working part time doing non-demanding work. I was a television news director and cameraman. In effect my career has been on hold now since January.
I am not even able to use a lightweight amateur stills camera let alone TV broadcast equipment without terrible pain. My work life, family life and leisure pursuits have all been devastated.
I have had an epidural and a nerve root block.  2 MRIs have shown a small central disc prolapse at L4/5. The last MRI showed an improvement but my symptoms are getting worse.
I am now wondering if there is a neurological or muscular condition making my symptoms disproportionate to the prolapse. As well as pain in my back and legs, I have symptoms that might suggest something else - cramping calf muscles, continual involuntary "rippling" muscle movement in calves and feet, shaking,  spasm and twitching muscles when I try and relax - especially in the arms and neck. My muscles feel tense and rigid.
Exercise causes disproportionate pain, tightness and cramping. Sleep does not seem to refresh me anymore.
Before January I would swim a mile regularly and could power walk up hills and mountains. I'm also a music school trained guitarist. I can do none of these things now.
I have asked whether I should be tested for Parkinsons or ME, but my doctor says there is no need.
I am desperate for help, but at the moment am thinking that I could be disabled for the rest of my life.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks.

Tags: Back pain, cramping, muscle twitches, unusual symptoms, mixed symptoms, diagnosis, disproportionate symptoms, life devastated by symptoms
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank