Neurology Community
fetal origin of posterior cerebral arteries

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I had an mri angiography of the head, due to occasional numbness that starts from tongue, and radiates to my entire left side of head and down to the tips of my left finger. I also had multiple labs, eeg, holter monitor, all were normal, with an exception of my angiography. It showed fetal origin of the posterior cerebral arteries bilaterally from the carotid circulation.  It also said the basilar artery is small and appears to give rise to both superior cerebellar arteries. What does this mean?
Hello.

According to Wollschlaeger et al, 7.7% of the cases had a posterior cerebral artery of fetal origin bilaterally.

The arteries supplying blood to the brain tissue form a "Circle of Willis". The posterior cerebral artery normally arises from the basilar artery. Actually, it can be said that the basilar artery splits into two posterior cerebral arteries. When it arises from the distal ends of the Internal Carotid Artery, it is said to have a Fetal Origin.

Following is a link for the normal Circle of Willis
http://www.transonic.com/brain2.gif

I could not find a good diagram which shows the fetal origin of the posterior cerebral artery.

The important point is the narrow basilar artery. You also need to know if the fetal origin is on both the sides.

Regards

The angiography states fetal origins are suspected of both posterior cerebral arteries representing a normal variant. What problems could the narrow basilar artery cause?
Hi.

The narrow basilar artery may provide a little less blood to the brainstem and nearby areas. The barrow basilar artery may not be responsible at all for your symptoms.

Posterior cerebral artery of fetal origin is a normal variant. To have it on both the sides is less common.

Was any MRI of the brain done to find out any lesions?

Regards
Yes a mri of the brain was done, as was a carotid doppler, All were unremarkable