fluid filled/opacified mastoid air cells
Last November had craniotomy with fenestration of 14 x 17mm arachnoid cyst on left of brainstem.  My mri after surgery showed that the cyst had not changed, but know 14mm x 21mm, but with new finding of several left fluid filled/opacified mastoid air cells.  What is this.  Is it a result of surgery, and should I be concerned?  The report also states that this cyst probably displaces the left 9th through 11th cranial nerves that should pass through this region.  What are the functions of these nerves.  Any information would be great.  Thank you.

How are you?
Mastoid cells are air filled spaces in the mastoid process of temporal bone which forms a part of the skull bones.
These mastoid air cells can be filled with fluid in conditions like ear infections and sinusitis.
The 9th cranial nerve is known as glossopharyngeal nerve which supplies the tongue, throat and the salivary glands.
Problems with glossopharngeal nerve result in problems with tasting and swallowing.
11th cranial nerve is known as spinal accessory nerve, it supplies the muscles of the neck and pharynx and larynx.
Hope this helps!
Is this a result of surgery?  My mri says my mastoid cells are fluid filled/opacified,  should I be concerned?  Why would they be fluid filled?  Thank You

Fluid filled or opacified mastoid air cells could be the result of past ear infection or sinusitis.
Trauma to the skull like fractures or even craniotomy can also cause opacified mastoid air cells due to effusion of fluid from the mastoid cells. Usually this condition resolves on its own.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12811440
Hope this answers your question.
My neurosurgeon just ordered a ct cisternogram for my arachnoid cyst that i have on the left of my brain stem, displacing cranial nerves 9,10, and 11.  I am very scared to have this test done.  I know it is done by spinal tap.  I had a craniotomy to fenestrate this cyst last November and returned shortly after.  What exactly does this test reveal that and MRI does not.  I know that it can fill with the fluid being injected or not.  What exactly will that tell.  Does it even make any difference either way, what I mean is if it doesn't fill, is that worse that maybe they would want to remove it again?  Or, either way would they treat it the same way.  It measures 17 x 21mm.  Also, do they usually give you something to relax you before the procedure?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
is there a relation to sshl (sudden sensorineural hearing loss) and opacified mastoid air cells? recently lost my hearinng in left ear as though someone turned off a switch. ct scan impression is focal area left temporal bone nonaerated mastoid air cell. left temporal bone 1.37cm (AP)  x 1.47 cm(high) opacified mastoid bone cells inferior and medial to mastoid segment of left facial nerve and stylomastoid foramen. can you clarify? any help would be extremely appreciated..thank you
I am 22 y/o and was recently involved in a high speed MVA. My mris detected many things one of which being my left mastoid air cells are opacified. I'm not finding good explanations that are related to my situation. Any thoughts?  Much appreciated!!!
Trace fluid base of right mastoid.

I just got this finding on my MRI dated 11/5/13.  What does it mean?