Neurology Community
getting hard to breath

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

getting hard to breath

First off, Hello. My name is Mark. I have been dealing with neuropathy for almost two years now. The pain gets so severe when I'm on my feet for more than 20 mins. I've had too many tests to remember, and still no reason for the pain. I take tramadol it eases the pain if I get off my feet. Tried lyrica, cymbalta to no avail. I now find it hard to breath, went to the hospital for tests (what a joke) they told me that they don't know what the cause is had mri on my lungs blood tests out the ying yang.Been to a heart specialist. I guess what I'm trying to ask is anyone else having trouble breathing even doing the simplest things, and can this be caused from nerve damage? Also I don't have a bowel movement without the aid of med.( I know gross) Told my doctor all of this he just gives me another pill to try. Any suggestions? Thanks
"Air hunger" such as you have experienced can be extremely serious. You need an in-person examination to rule out a cardiac etiology. That include a stress test. A normal EKG does not necessarily indicate a heart problem. If the shortness of breath is brought on by exercise that certainly suggests a cardiac problem. You don't mention if you have diabetic neuropathy. Kusmal respirations can take place with abnormal blood sugar readings and such a patient will find themselves "short of breath".
I did have a stress test,they said it was not the cause of the problem. The cause of neuropathy is not from diabetes, even had the two hour glucose test? They are not sure what is causing the pain or breathing trouble. Thanks
sounds like maybe some sort of autonomic nervous system problem? there are things like CIDP which have neuropathy, difficulty breathing, and bowel issues (though it has lots of other symptoms too)

there are a bunch of things that can cause autonomic neuropathy, but yes, difficulty breathing can be caused by the same thing as nerve pain.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditus an auto-immune disease, I have been having the same nerve pain as you (Neuropathy) and there exists an auto immune syndrome where as your body's Tcells/immune system attacks your nerve sheath called Myelin,(Like insulation on an electric wire) this in turn causes nerve inflamation (inflammation). I was just diagnosed with "Demyelinating Neuropathy" This can be diagnosed with Nerve Conduction Velocity and Electromyography Tests performed by a Neurologist. I have been prescibed the same medications, a Generic form of Lyrica and Tramadol, It does nothing for my pain either, Mine began in my upper arms and shoulders, and has limited my range of motion, Mine also was harder to diagnose with Antibody tests due to the fact that my antibodies are high from the thyroid disease. Good Luck FTB4
Thank you, I will ask my doctor about the things you have said. I have been on thyroid medication for 4 or 5 yrs now it's under active I think called hypothyroidism. They said with the meds it is working though?
Thank you for the response: I have alot of symptoms but some are ones that come and go. The newest one is my feet go numb, anyways the breathing is the one that scares me. I will be going to the drs. soon and ask about CIPD thank you very much