Neurology Community
headache while lying down

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

headache while lying down

I am awakened every night aproximately 3 hours after going to bed with a pounding headache on the side of my head that is on the pillow. Turning over just transfers the pain to the other side or to back of the skull, which ever part I am lying on.  The pain goes away immediately upon sitting up or standing. When it first began I would go sit up and sleep that way.  It has become less severe over time so that I am usually able to find a position that is tolerable. I have had an acompanying bout of sinuitis but can find no info that would connect the two.

This discussion is related to Headache only when lying down.
Avatar n tn
I have the exact same symtoms (symptoms) the pain is horrible and wakes me up goes away when I get out of bed and walk around. Have you found the problem yet?
Avatar n tn
I just started experiencing same type of symptoms over the weekend.  Any ideas/diagnosis yet?
I have the same thing its very bad and I am confused how it keeps happening I am getting less and less sleep. It is worse on weekends when I relax at home or lay in bed to watch movies.
Avatar n tn
I'm up at 4 a.m. as I type this for the very reason you all state. Headache every morning, back of the head (I sleep on my back usually, although changing positions doesn't help). What could be the problem?
I HAVE SLEPT 2 HOURS A DAY FOR 1 WEEK. EVERY TIME I GET READY FOR BED I START TO FEEL PRESSURE/NUMBNESS IN FRONT OF MY HEAD ONCE I LAY DOWN IT HITS ME MY HEAD STARTS TO PULSE ALL OVER SOMETIMES IT HURTS OTHER TIMES IT DOESN'T. I GET REALLY SCARED AND JUMP OUT OF MY BED IT CONTINUES FOR ABOUT 2 MINUTES THEN IT STARTS TO GO AWAY SLOWLY. I SIT IN MY LIVING ROOM SOFA AND TRY TO RELAX SOME TIMES I FALL ASLEEP FOR ABOUT AN HOUR. IT HELPS TO JUST TAKE DEEP BREATHS AND DRINK ABOUT 3 CUPS OF WATER. THE WEIRD THING IS THAT THIS LAST ALL NIGHT BUT ONCE IT HIT 7AM IT ALL GOES AWAY AND I CAN LAY DOWN TILL NOON. ITS 5AM  RIGHT NOW! HELP!
Hi everyone,
I having a daily headache at night as soon as i lay down. It starts about 2-3 minutes after i put my head on my pillow. I switched to memory foam pillow and it still not helping. Ache is concentrated to right side only very localized between ear and temples.
I have had 2 MRIs done for TMJ and brain for any abnormalities in the brain, both were normal.
I get relief from applying ice a head compression as well as ibuprofen.
The small sparks of pain come in day too lasting a minute or so but night laying down is the continues severe pain.
I just want to be able to lay down into bed and fall sleep.
Hi everyone,
Does anyone else take paxil?
I started getting headaches while I was sleeping around 4 years ago.  The headache wakes me up and it hurts so bad.  I believe I get those headaches between 2:00 a.m. - 4:00 a.m.  I was getting those headaches once a month. Now, I get the headache once a week.  The headache goes away 90% as soon as I elevate my head.  As soon as I put my head down again, the pain comes back.  It feels like I was hit with a bat and my ears hurts so bad. I believe that I have lost some hearing.  I had an MRI 2 days ago and the findings were a tiny nonspecific gliotic focus in the right external capsule of the brain.  Now I am trying to figure out exactly what this is and I will schedule an appt. with a neurologist.
This just happened to me last night. Woke up with a headache which never happens, usually I only get headaches when I am awake. Anyway I get up and drink some water, urinate and take three ibuprofen. I noticed as soon as I stood up the headache went away. I woke up in the morning and the headache was still there. But as soon as I sit up it is pretty much gone. I also feel pretty dehydrated even though I drank two sports drinks yesterday and much more water than I usually do. I couldn't satiate my thirst for some reason and was urinating a lot more than usual. I think I might have thrown my electrolytes off by drinking too much liquid maybe? Also I need to cool it on the cigarettes.