Neurology Community
help.. 2nd ??? part2 of first MRI

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

help.. 2nd ??? part2 of first MRI

ok its been 8 months and no one answers questions around here.. and im still confused as ever... well. this is the lastest.. well i have been to physical theropy twice for my back and my dr says he is not sending me to pt for my neck because he dont want to aggrevate it any further. had an MRI done on my neck again and this is what it says

Cervical spine MRI consists of sagittal T1 and T2 and gradient echo axial images. Comparison is made with a submitted outside study dated January 9, 2004.

There is straightening of the normal cervical lordosis

the C2, C3, C3-C4 AND C4-C5 DISC space are within normal limits.

at the C6-C7 level, there is a new left parasagittal disc herniation which effaces the ventral aspect of the thecal sac.

The C7-t1 disc space is normal.

the narrow signal is normal, nno intrinsic spinal cord abnormality is identified.

IMPRESSION:

1. straightening of the normal cervical lordosis
2. C5-C6 disc bulge
3. c6-c7 parasagittal disc herniation effaces the vetral aspect of the thecal sac.

then I had a MRI OF MY BACK AND THAT READS AS FOLLOWS...

MRI OF LUMBAR SPINE WITHOUT CONTRAST

FINDINGS: The vertebral bodies maintain normal height alignment and signal intensity. the conus is normal in posistion, signal intensity and morphology. There is slight loss of T2 signal within the L4-L5 intervertebral disc, reflecting defeneration. the remainder of the disc spaces maintain naormal height.

L1-L2 through L3-L4 intervertebral discs maintain normal height, morphology and signal intensity without focal sisplacements. there is no central canal or foraminal stenosis at these levels. mild facet dgenerative chages are seen at L3-L4

At L4-L5 there is a broad based left paracentral and foraminal disc protrusion which slightly effaces the exiting left L4 root sleeve,. no high grade neural effacement is noted. there is no central canal stenosis. mild facet degenarative chage is noted. L5-s1 shows no disc displacement, canal stenosis or foraminal stenosis, facet joints appear grossly intact.

there is no prevertebral or paravertebral soft tissue swelling.

IMPRESSION

1. mild L4-L5 degenerative disc disease witha broad basedshallow left paracentral and foraminal disc protrusion minimally effacing the exiting left L4 root sleeve. No evidence for high grade neural compression or canal stenosis.
2.mild multilevel lumbar facet degenerative arthrosis

ok so can any body please explain I am suppose to start pain management tomorrow.. first time and I hate needles
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to placing your findings in context with clinical features and the results of other investigation such as MRI, I can not offer the specific advice & treatment you need. However, I will try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Your reports suggest that C6-C7 (cervical) level, there is a left parasagittal disc herniation and mild degenerative disc at L4-L5 level. However, there is no evidence of nerve compression at lumber spine (L4-L5) level. Therefore, nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of herniation where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, palpitation and nausea. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.