Neurology Community
help please my sons head is 44cm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

help please my sons head is 44cm

michelle here i wanted to know some information please about my 17 month old boy he hasa head sise of 44cm  really small can someone tell me if that is a normal size for a 1 year old boy his heads not growing what does that do to his brain hes having a mri next year at childs hospital i wanta good result he canbabble say words like mama dada nana  and nan  he can weight bare but not walk yet is his tiny head stopping him from doing things im worried so much about him
How are you?

Microcephaly is the presence of an abnormally small head due to failure of brain growth. It may be congenital or it may become obvious in the first few years of life.

Microcephaly can be due to a variety of causes like including infections, radiation, medications, chromosome abnormalities and genetic diseases. Congenital microcephaly may follow intrauterine infections such as with rubella, cytomegalovirus (CMV) and toxoplasmosis. Several chromosomal abnormalities like Trisomy 18, trisomy 13 and Prader-Willi syndrome, metabolic conditions like phenylketonuria and fetal alcohol syndrome.

The condition may sometimes cause developmental delay of motor skills and speech and in a few children mental retardation. Diagnostic tests that may be performed to confirm the diagnosis of microcephaly and identify abnormalities in the brain include head circumference measurement, x-ray, CT scan and MRI, blood and urine tests.

You should consult a pediatrician for a complete examination to diagnose and manage the condition.
Take care

michelle here thanks for that actrually we went toa genetic not so long ago and my head is 53.2 cm sisters slightly bigger than mine i know when i had my thyroid out they said i was slightly mentally impaired the genetic said it could come from me all his chromosones are normal  can they livea long life if it is managed