Neurology Community
hydrocephalus, vp shunts, and headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hydrocephalus, vp shunts, and headaches

My name is Eric and I've had hydrocephalus since I was born. Until Feb of '08 I had one surgery every four years to replace the shunt. However, from Feb of '08 until mid-May of '08 I had a series of eight surgeries! Ever since then I've had what my neurosurgeon calls "migraines"...every day. They are excruciating to the point where I am now in counseling because I am constantly thinking of killing myself just to get away from the pain. I've been to my neurosurgeon many times and he keeps telling me they're migraines. Probably the most upsetting thing is that for all but one of the surgeries nothing showed up on the x-rays or CAT Scans and he did exploritory surgery and found something; a fact he now denies. He keeps doing x-rays and CAT Scans when the pain gets so bad that I go back to see him...and of course nothing turns up. I've only been his patient since Feb of '08, prior to that, all of my childhood I had a different doctor, with the exception of one surgery preform by a third doctor in March of '04. In March of '04 I had a similar experience with this other doctor. He did a CAT Scan and x-rays and found nothing, sending me home. The next day I was back in the hospital and it was then that he found that my shunt had snapped in the neck. He did surgery and I was fine until Feb of '08 when all those surgeries started. My current doctor is the head of neurosurgery, so there isn't anyone above him that I can go to for a second opinion and until I get medicare in July (I'm on disability), there isn't anyone I can go to. The thought of putting up with the headaches until then is terrifying. It's to the point that I sleep most of the day just to get away from the pain and I am, therefore, little help to my wife. The worst part is that I've called around trying to find a doctor willing to see me for a second opinion, and all I can find is the Children's Hospital I was a patient at during childhood, but they won't see me until I get medicare because they say I am not in "acute shunt failure". I've been to a pain specialist and a neurologist, in an attempt to convince my current doctor that something is going on, and as I expected, they were unable to help. I'm at the end of my rope. I don't know what else to do. Has anyone else had a similar experience? If so, please email me at kansasman21_2001***@****.