Neurology Community
hyperactive reflexes right leg weakness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

hyperactive reflexes right leg weakness

I saw my neurologist with symptoms of headache,neck pain, tremors, imbalance, dizziness and difficulty speaking. He said my reflexes in all four limbs were hyperactive, even with just using his fingers after checking them first with a reflex hammer ,right foot drop, gait disorder and spasticity. A MRI of the brain, spinal tap and C spine were normal. I've continued to have intermittent episodes of difficulty with articulating words and having to substitute other words for the ones I can't say. These are simple words. Also memory problems. Sometimes my speech problem is only noticeable to me and sometimes it is so slurred everyone in my family can't understand me including 2 ER doctors and my internist. This all started after having a recurring Migraine for three weeks. I was normal before that I don't usually have migraines. This one was in the back of my head. The headache went away shortly after the first episode.The right leg weakness lasted 1 month and is now is back to normal. My speech is better but not the way it was prior to the first episode. I can't remember some of the things that happened during the second episode which was 3 weeks after the first. This time I had double vision,severe vertigo,vomiting so severe there didn't seem much time in between. I vomited three times in the first few minutes the vertigo started. My husband had to call a ambulance to get me out of the house because I vomited every time I moved and I wouldn't let him get me up. I passed out in the ambulance. I don't remember much of the time I was in the ER. I was able to answer some questions to the Dr. who examined me but my husband said my voice was slurred again. The Dr. was concerned about my speech but didn't repeat a MRI because the one 3 weeks before was normal. I stayed over night at the hospital. My husband said I wasn't given phenergan for nausea until I was at the hospital for several hours I realize that can cause sleepiness. I don't remember much prior to or after that until the next day when I was discharged. He says I was cold and clammy and seemed out of it most of the time. I was released the next day. I still had the same speech problems and weakness as I had prior to that ER visit but no further vertigo or double vision. My internist saw me a few days later. He thought I may have had a stroke that the first MRI didn't pick up. I was afraid maybe it was ALS or something. I saw another neurologist for a second opinion a week after that. I told him about all the symptoms I 've had  for the last month and the negative MRI 's and normal blood work. He said my neuro. exam was normal and there was nothing neurologically wrong with me. I am so confused? Can a neuro exam change from abnormal to normal after a few weeks? I don't think this neurologist believed anything I said. My husband was not there at the time to be a witness. He just asked me about stress. He even asked me how my marriage was. When I said OK he said are you sure? I 've been happily married to the same man for 29 years!  I think that was pretty rude of him to assume that was the cause of all my problems when he doesn't even know me. My internist is still concerned. He thinks I should see a speech therapist and my husband wants me to see a neurologist that my internist recommended. I don't want to see anyone. I'm feeling better and all my tests were normal. The last neuro. said there's nothing wrong except anxiety. I don't want to be belittled or go for tests for no reason. Should I wait for awhile and hope nothing happens again or go along with my internist and husband?  I'm only 52. I have high BP but it's controlled on meds. A TIA would be very unlikely. I don't think any of my symptoms fit any other disease. I don't trust any neuro. doctor at this point and hope everything clears up on it's own. What would be some of the possibles be to explain any of this? How accurate are MRI's? How could someone have abnormal neuro. exam and a negative MRI at the same time? Can phenergan cause memory loss prior to the time it was given? Could some of the events I had cause cognitive impairments? Can stress and anxiety cause problems with speech and memory without and prior medical event? Are there migraines that can cause neurological symptoms?