Neurology Community
internal trembling/shakiness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

internal trembling/shakiness

I am a 59 y/o male who, in my early 50’s I developed symptoms of chronic internal shakiness, jitters, and queasy stomach.  The symptoms are present 24/7.  Neurologist diagnosed me with Essential Tremor Syndrome; however there are no visible external motor tremors.   The lab tests were normal, although the dopamine and nor epinephrine levels are on high range of normal. Only thyroid tests were the Free T 4 and THS, both of which were normal.   A brain MRI did not disclose anything of significance.  Went to psychiatrist and psychologist and they feel it is physiological. I have been a guinea pig for a variety of medication which have not worked.  Any suggestions or ideas?  Perhaps a broader thyroid works up?  Heavy metals test?  Lyme disease?  Any connection to a doctor who has dealt with similar symptoms?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. I assume you must have had a whole lot of tests, but since you have whole body jitters, internal shakiness and a queasy stomach, you must get a tilt table test to rule out postural hypotension/syncope/dysautonomia. Also, you must have gait test and test for balance.
Other tests which may help are round the clock sugar monitoring, holter to rule out arrhythmia and situational hypotension/hypertension, blood tests for electrolytes, vitamin B12, vitamin D and hyperparathyroidism.
Some sleep disturbances can also make you feel jittery during the day. So, it may be worthwhile to undergo sleep studies if no other cause is found.
Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Are you feeling better?  Just saw your post.  Wondered if you ever had a Lyme test or co-infections tests?