need information on polyneuropathy
I have had numbness and charlies horses in my legs and feet for almost ten years now. I have literary gotten at times that I have almost had to crawl to the bathroom I could not walk. I knew my legs were there but they hurt to bad to stand on the them. the doctors at the time said nothing was wrong ten years later I am given the news I have polyneuropathy of eidiopathic progressive I need to know more about this disease and what else I can expect from it I cant work any more I have to plan my day out completely and now it is starting to affect my hands.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyneuropathy
Hi, Thank you for your question. There are several types of neuropathy, but without being able to examine you in details I can not provide a precise diagnosis. Most common form is a peripheral neuropathy and occurred by deterioration in the nerve function at the limbs. It represents with symptoms of loss of sensation (or pins and needles like) in the arms, hands, legs and feet. Since there are many causes of neuropathy, hence treatment involves seeking these conditions out and correcting any underlying problem such as poor sugar control in diabetes in order to get a relief in your symptoms. Unfortunately, there is no permanent cure of neuropathy but symptomatic relief can be provided. Hope this helps.