nerve damage
Is it possible to sustain nerve damage from an IV being inserted in hand? After having IV placed in my hand on the side under the thumb area, I don't have full range motion in my thumb and I can not bend it. This has been since Dec 2010. EMG tests show median nerve injury, is it possible that the median nerve injury can travel and cause some anterior nerve damage too?
What other test should I get done besides an EMG? They do say that it should come back 4-6 months so we will see. Now I have researched  the median nerve injuries and anterior and they both are caused by some sort of trauma, wouldn't that be the iv being stuck in there do that? My hand was perfectly fine when I went into hospital for a hysterectomy surgery and the next day when she took IV out I got home and realized that I couldn't bend my thumb. What is your opinion?

Thanks!
It is possible, but unlikely. You don't mention what medications were infused. Some medications can infiltrate and cause tissue damage. On the top of the hand a so-called "butterfly" set is commonly used and the tiny needle goes in only a short ways into the vein, and is inserted at a shallow angle. On the wrist a small guage needle is also usually used. In thousands of procedures in which I inserted lines in the hand I never once remember causing nerve danage. If you observed the procedure, think back if there was more than one attempt? You need a copy of the medical records to determine what medication was infused. You have a potential tort action, and cannot expect anyone connected with the hospital to testify they may have caused your nerve injury. All of this being said, usually these injuries resolve over time.

Not sure what medication was infused, they were prepping me for surgery and the nurse came in  and put the IV in my hand between my thumb and pointer finger but more under the the thumb area. Just trying to figure this out because it's become a real issue for me to not have full use of my thumb. It was fine going in and after she took iv out I can't bend my thumb? There has to be a connection? Anyways, I know that no one from the medical field would say that the iv caused it even if it did which I think is very wrong and unethical. I went in for one thing and came out with an injury. The dr did say if it doesn't come back in 6mths, which is soon than surgery will need to be done.
P.S. what is tort action? Or was that mispelled? Thanks!