Neurology Community
no reflexes in legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

no reflexes in legs

hi   I was diagnosed with bulging disc c6&c7, old trauma/fracture to tailbone & told me have carpal tunnel in both wrist. , films show problem with s&l joint but not sure what yet. I  have constant pain in neck, i also have burning in both shoulder blades constant, low back pain comes and goes, able to go to physical therapy and they minipulate pelvis and put it back in.  although still unable to roll over at night due to lower back pain, feels numb and painful after go to bed.  Seen family Dr. who sent me for epidural steroid inj in c spine, it didn't help, also was in physical therapy for 3 months with not much help.  Seen neuro Dr yesterday who told me i have no relfex"s in either leg, he doesnt know why, going to do mri of lower back, already did complete spine mri, put me on neurontin 600 mg daily and zanaflex 4 mg,  does anyone have any idea what my reflex problem could be? Dr doesn't really say much other than we will try meds and see.   thank you cindersue
No reflexes usually means nerve damage.  But from what cause???  It could be lots of things.  The neuro should be able to figure it out.
thank you for reply. I am really confused about what could have caused this, what you say makes since i just don't know what happened to cause. I had untreated whiplash 2 times, 1st time was 13(car accident) 2nd time was 19 same thing car accident, both times car was totalled but not roll over. Had trauma to lower back pelvis area sometime ago but other than that i cant think of anything  
Another thing, usually central nervous system problems initally cause hyperactive reflexes.  Peripheral nerve problems cause loss of reflexes.  I had a bad disk in my neck that was pushing on my spinal cord.  This caused me to have hyperactive reflexes because it impinged my spinal cord (central nervous system).  Best wishes to you.
My dad went for an examination with a consultant, it was a follow up appointment because he recently fractured his lower back. (It was a stable fracture). During the examination they realised he has no reflexes in his legs. My dad said the consultant just glanced over to the nurse looking puzzled! He arranged for some bloodtest to be carried out and also booked him in for a MRI scan. Could you tell me what the possibilities could be of why he as lost his reflexes and if it is serious??
I have no reflexes in my legs. I have back problems. About 14 years ago i became very disabled. In hospital i got very little help and Dr's were very confused about my lack of reflexes. I recently have suffered a bout of back pain and my reflexes have gone again. I find walking in the town very difficult as my calf muscles are so sore. I also had a major car accident at the age of 18.
I have no reflexes in either legs, and I find it hard too walk with out my walker, I had a Second Spinal Fusion  in Oct .07..as my first surgey was messed up..
What I worry about is, what happens now with no reflexes? my legs are always cold, and I have no feeling in my feet..(they feel like they were in water all the time..all cold and painful.
I'm not that old and I hope too be able to keep walking , but for how long?
I still have a lot of numbness from my groin to my ankels.
Am I just Crazy???..any help would be appreciated
I have the same problem, no reflexes in either leg.... caused by a long term infection, Lyme Disease.  You should visit lyme forums and talk to patients, lyme testing is not reliable and lyme literate Md's are far and few between. The most reliable lab for tick born diseases is Igenex and talk w/patients about finding and Lyme literate Md near you. 99.9% of Md's never believe lyme is this serious, it is a spirochete that attacks the CNS.  There is a ton of  bad and reliable info online. Start with ILADS.org, lymenet.org & truthaboutlymedisease.com - everyone posting here - from burning shoulder blades to back problems can be caused by vector borne diseases...and NO most don't remember being bitten, it has become and epidemic.  Look up the documentary at youtube call Under Our Skin and simply search Lyme Disease there as well, there are patient vlogs and blogs all over the internet. Treatment is essential.  Best to you all.
I also have no reflexes in my right leg and none in my leg foot. I also experience mobility problems associated with my right leg where I can feel my right leg but have no power to move it at times. This is also associated with lower back pain in one particular point. I have had this for nearly 15 years and no-one can tell me what the problem is. I am currently off sick from work with the same problem and awaiting another MRI scan and a referral to the spinal injuries clinic.  I have never had an accident so I do not know how this came about.

Grateful for any ideas.
Hi My husband has no reflexes in either legs and cant feel his feet, also he has lost all his labedo is this related and what could be causing it?
   He is having an MRI scan this week do you think it will show anything up, we are worried as he is only 42yrs and he feels about 90yrs.

I have sciatica ,which is a painful neurological condition of the spinal nerves that are aggrivated.I recently went to the Dr. and he found that the side that's affected has no knee reflexes. It's funny that the Dr's are so confused by this. It seems common with anyone who has any nerve damage.
PLEASE, please let me know what you find out, I have the exact same issue!  Sometimes I cannot lift my foot/leg even 2 inches off the ground to put my clothes on, I have to Literally pick up my foot??  I have many Underlying symptoms at this point in my life, so any little Input helps me SO much!  Thanks!!!!     = ]
I have the same symptoms. The pain in my leg comes and goes, but when it is there it is excruciating. Mine started about 2 years ago and was on and off...I was told I had sciatica. Since the begining of this year it has been horrible and has continued to get worse. I had been going to a chiropractor on and off which would ease the pain...until now of course. I finally broke down and went to my Dr because I am so sick of being in pain. I had an MRI done and was sent to a neurosurgeon. I was told that I have spondylolisthesis...which is my L5 vertebre slipping off of my S1. I am about to start PT and am being sent to a pain management Dr. I am sooo sick of being in pain. I really hope this helps, because the only other treatment for mine is a fusion...which I DO NOT want to have done. I am only 32 years old...and I am scared to freaking death.
I ended up with a unilateral pars-defect at L-5/S-1 (i fractured part of the vertabrea) that caused spondylolisthesis and herniated the disk between those levels as well. I was in the military and while the docs are great for general health issues, they are not specialists. Needless to say it was 2 1/2 yrs before I saw a civilian surgeon who told me I needed surgery right away because my spine was not stable. I am 3 surgeries later now and in worse pain than when I got just injured.  This was the best spinal surgeon in the area, he told that if I had gotten to him within the first six months to year after I was injured the surgery would have worked and I would be perfectly fine right now.  I know surgery sounds scary but when non invasive treatments are not working, the sooner you have surgery the better.  Especially with your age (young) the recovery/healing time will be quicker than if you decided to wait. I saw a chiropractor as well and was told it was the worst thing I could have done. Dont just see a neurologist though, see a orthopedic spine doctor. Hopefully this will help you.