Neurology Community
numbness/tingling/burning/stabbing pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am 30 year old female and I experience numbness/tingling/burning/stabbing pains in my arm/hands and feet/legs. I have episodes of this and they come and go. They start off strong then taper off to just light pins and needles until they are gone. This current episode I am in has been going on for about 3 weeks. I have had these symptoms for a few years. 2 years ago I told my primary care and she sent me to a neuro and he did a brain MRI and said everything came back fine (didnt test me for anything else)
I am seeing a new dr and told her my symptoms and she said i NEED to get a cervical spine MRI because she is concerened with the symptoms i am having. I am freaked out and scared beyond belief of what this could be.

I also have Endometriosis which is an autoimmune disease and I am told that i am at an increased risk for developing other autoimmune diseases.

If anyone could provide some insight/advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Numbness and tingling sensations are called parasthesia and you should get a MRI spine to rule out any spinal cause causing such sensations. Chronic paresthesia indicates a problem with the functioning of neurons.

Are you a diabetic or do you take alcohol? Parasthesias are common in alcoholics and metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypothyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism. They can also be due to peripheral vascular disease, vitamin B12 deficiency or malnutrition.

Get your blood sugar and thyroid hormones levels evaluated. You can take some vit B12 for some days and see if the tingling is gone or not.

If the symptoms persist then please get it evaluated from a doctor.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Thank you for getting back to me. I don't drink alcohol actually and I do not believe I am diabetic (had blood work done a year ago and it came back fine) As far as B12 I have been taking vitamins and supplements and believe by b12 levels are fine.

Because these episodes come and go, does that give you any indication of anything?

I know you cant really say much, so I understand. I am really scared its something like MS or Lupus.

Thanks again
It is true that MS can be associated with such numbness but before labeling it as MS, we should rule out simple causes of parasthesia first and for this get an evaluation done for the causes mentioned. Multiple sclerosis is an autoimmune condition in which the immune system attacks the central nervous system (CNS), leading to demyelination. It can be diagnosed by MRI brain and MRS of the brain.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

arthritis problem of the neck/spine can also cause these symptoms and flare ups
When I am active say walking i don't feel the muscles twitches or stabbing pains.Actually I don't feel any synptoms.Is it possible to be MS and these symptoms not be there when active?