Neurology Community
pituitary tumor and shunts

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pituitary tumor and shunts

My 70 year old aunt was diagnosed with pituitary tumor two years ago.  Surgery was scheduled to remove it through her sinus.   During surgery it was discovered that the tumor was too hard and too larger to remove.  They left it in with plans to check it yearly for growth.  Some months ago she became confused and nauseous and vascular shunts were put in to drain the fluid.  They went back in 3-4 times to adjust the shunts as my aunt did not respond and became more confused.  After more than a month of recovery in the hospital she was moved closer to her home- and then finally to a skilled nursing facility.  My cousin, her only child, has decided that now she just had dementia and there is nothing more to do.  My cousin insists that Drs. indicate the tumor is not the cause of the dementia but will not allow any of us to speak to them or ask questions.  He has said the tumor is the size of a thumbnail and not causing problems.  Early on there was a ct and doctors were satisfied that the shunt was working properly- but clearly something went wrong..Some cracker-jack endocrinologist came in and said she would be better in a few months.  That was several months ago.  She is not better.  She is using a walker and falls, believes her recently deceased husband is alive as well as her parents (who died 20 years ago).  Has anybody heard of this kind of scenario with shunt placement?