rice crispies
It sounds like I have rice crispies in my head. This has been going on for about three months.  I do not have pain in my head.  I started with a cracking noise in my neck and the lower part of the back of my neck.  Now it has moved to my temples, side of my head and various other area's in my head. It happens more in the evening or maybe that is just when I notice it more.  Especially after lying down.  It is very uncomfortable and worrys me.
the same thing happened to me and I went to the doctor and he said I had spontaneous pneumothorax.  It was a slow leak in my lung that caused the air to excape to my neck and head.  It is very dangerous and possibly fatal depending on the situation.  Mine healed itself within days.  I dont know if thats what you have but mine was like a cracking noise.
What knid of doctor did you see?  I do not have a regular doctor and have a hard time finding a good one if I ever needed one, which is very seldom.  I only have a female gyno.

Thanks for your reply