Neurology Community
schizophrenia

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

schizophrenia

My son is schizophrenic - I am a retired physician and have done alot of research since his diagnosis  a yr ago - it seems that treatment with presciption meds like the antipsychotics do little to help cognitive symptoms - his psychiatrist hasn't brought up any other treatments although when I brought up omega 3s he reluctantly said he liked omega brite - wh I like alot after looking at their website. I find there is some evidence that pregnenolone, n-acetyl carnitine, statins , antivirals like valtrex ( my son gets horrible fever blisters), minocycline ( ok for acne but not okto try even if unproven for schiophrenia?),Posit science, exercise - all may be beneficial - maybe - if we wait for the final results of any of these studies it will be too late to benefit my son - he is 15 and really is "prodromal" or "high risk" - when I look at the risks vs benefits of some of these  it sure seems worth a try to me . It actually is feeling somewhat unethical to not offer some of this information to families when facing this devestating disease when there are no good treatments available. Are there psychiatrists out there willing to advise about some of these potentially helpfull treatments? I find they re often willing to prescribe offlabel with some of the prescription meds h as far as I can tell treat only positive symptoms. Any opinions about these potential treatments would be appreciated - I understand there is no "proof" they work - My question is really what would you do if your son was 15 and in the prodromal stage of schizophrenia? Also I don't understand why if nicotine helps with cognition why it doesn't make sense to "treat" with nicorette gum - am I mistaken in thinking that much of the neg effects of smoking is related to other components of the cigarette other than nicotene?  
Sorry your son has been diagnosed with this shattering disease.  There is a forum here specifically for Schizophrenia, just click on "Forums" at the top of this webpage, and go down the alphabetized left column for "S" and it's the first department.  I think they will be able to support you better than the folks here at the neurology department.  

But my general thinking is there is no harm in trying these alternative medicine ideas you have, particularly the Omega 3 stuff, and there are foods that have that in it.  I might add that some acne medicines have some strange side effects, so be careful with those.  And then the nicotine thing, please keep in mind it is most definitely permanently addicting... I should think a cup of coffee would be far better for cognitive improvement.  

I think you should most definitely get a second opinion from another psychiatrist, preferably with a group of docs, as to medications other than what he is receiving, that may be in another category or a better one in the same category, and also as to complementary meds/treatment.  Also, there have been a number of documentaries in recent years, on TLC and other educational channels, that talk about exactly what some Schizophrenic patients take that make them able to function with some degree of limited independence, could be some part of those shows will help you.  And I'm sure you already know this, but the movie "A Beautiful Mind," that came out a few years back, is the story about a famous professor who had the disease, might give you some insight and comfort.

By the way, I guess you already realize this, I don't want to sing to the choir, but he really needs to have a dermatologist treat him for those fever blisters... just become well-versed in side effects of anything in the way of skin treatments that he uses.  And since you mentioned studies, I hope you will consider perhaps getting your boy involved on occasion in some clinical trials, that various major hospitals do for his condition.  Hope you get some good help over in the schizophrenic department, and remember there are plenty of really other great websites out there where all they talk about is the disease, and people support each other, and they have links to some large organizations filled with people like you who want to help their relatives.