Neurology Community
sensitive arm pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sensitive arm pain

I have been experiencing arm pain in my left arm for about 2 years now. It comes and goes every few days. well recently it started in my right arm as well, not as bad but still hurts. It goes from my elbow to my wrist. My skin is very sensitive to the touch of any kind. It hurts if wind blows on it to water splashing on it or my clothes rubbing against it. It almost feels like a bruise when it is touch, but it also aches. Sometimes my hands aches, tingles, and sometimes goes numb. My pain in my arm hurts mainly around my veins. I have had an ultrasound done on my veins and they said they were fine. I have had nerve tests done and still nothing. No one seems to have an answer. I hope someone is out there who can help.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You may be suffering from Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. RSD is a chronic neurological disorder in which the autonomic nervous system malfunctions, causing nerves to send constant pain signals to the brain. RSD almost always develops in response to physical trauma eg. a fall, fracture, infection, surgery or repetitive motion injury like carpal tunnel syndrome. Since you have pain from elbow to the wrist, the cause could be Carpal tunnel syndrome leading to RSD. Skin sensitivity is a significant feature of the syndrome. Please go for MRI of the arms and wrists and consult a neurologist for diagnosis and treatment. Hope this helps you. Take care and regards!
Thanks for responding to me. The first time I went to the dr I  told her I needed to have a MRI of my arms and she said that isn't going to show anything. So she did an nerve test then she did the MRI on my neck. They found that my spinal cord was bent at the base of my neck. There was a special name but I don't remember. The neosurgeon she sent me to thought about a fusion but was concerned since it was such a major surgery so he sent me to Chapel Hill. They said since it was a mild case and since I am so young, I am only 30, that I should just keep an eye on it and just have xrays every year. All this started because I was having pain in my arms and they still don't know what is causing the pain in my arms.. They also took blood for test and found out that I had Sjoren's Syndrome, but the dr said that wouldn't make my arms hurt. Could stress aggravate this condition? Also, is there something for the pain? My primary dr put me on 300mg (3 100mg) neurotin at bedtime. Then after that wasn't working he put me on 300mg 3 times a day. Well a couple days I accidently took 3 of the 300mg 3 times a day. A total of 2700mg a day and guess what? Nothing.. It still didn't take the pain away. I am scheduled to see the neosurgeon next week and I was going to tell him what you said and see if he will give me and MRI of my arms. Thanks again for your help. Take Care..