severe cramping in hand
I am 51 yrs old and have been a professional guitar players for better than 25 yrs. in the last 2 yrs I have noticed my hand, fingers specifically will from nowhere just lock in a spasm after I do between a 2-4 hour show. if I stop for a few sec. the spasm subsides but it will come back over and over again in the shows and persist all night after a show.
I have pain in my forearm and elbow constantley and in my bicep when I straighten it out it feels like a pulled muscle, I have started wearing an arm band which does seem to help and before shows I take a muscle relaxer and drink ungodly amounts of water and powerade because I sweat profusley during shows.
this condition is effecting my performances now not to mention has been ongoing and seems to be getting worse.
Any advise and suggestions would be most helpful, before it effects my livleyhood please.
Most likely calcium deficiency secondary to low D3 levels. This is the cause of 99 percent of the hand cramp problems. Sometimes magnesium deficiency. Try drinking a large glass of milk, simple as that seems. Get your vitamin D3 levels checked. A daily supplement won't hurt.The specific drug to relieve the cramps are quinine sulfate capsules, which were sold over-the-counter in the U.S. for a hundred years, but was recently banned. They work. Fortunately I have a good supply on hand. The ban was due to an increase in arythmias, particularly for elderly individuals with a history of cardiac problems.
thank you very much, I most certanly will try this, my diet isn't the best and I kind of thought it might have some reason to do with it. so I will check it out thanks
i play guitar, i have episodes of full body pain. dx'ed with Fibro,  stabbing in my joints. feeling bruised... hard to play and it S%&#s.... thought it was Vit D issue. been taking that and calcium with magnesium.  last fall. i am  not as bad as i was..
potassium and mag help with leg cramps so give it a try.
Hello and welcome to the medhelp forum.  This could be carpal tunnel syndrome due to median nerve compression from repetitive hand movements like in playing guitar. There is tingling, numbness, weakness in part of the hand, weakness in grip and pain may extend until the elbow. This could also be dystoniaswith wrong messages relayed from brain to the muscles leading to prolonged muscle contractions. This could be due to electrolyte disturbances as stated in other posts and a trial of supplemental calcium , vitamin D3, Magnesium, potassium may be needed. Hand splints, physiotherapy, medicines would help. Consult a neurologist for detailed evaluation and appropriate management. Wishing you all the best.
just tolet you know I have started using the magnesium and a multi vitamin with iron, plus milk, the problem is not fully gone but I would say 98% gone thanks so much on the advice it has helped so much