sharp stabbing electric pains at short intervals
I have been dealing with this issue where I have very sharp painful stabbing pains on the left side of my head just about 45 degrees, 2-3 inches away from the tip of my ear.

The pain is instant, and it occurs every 2-3 seconds, sometimes 5 seconds, and sometimes it occurs every 1 minute.  It's driving me crazy! and the pain scale is 10 out of 10.  Sometimes the pain is so bad that even I can't touch my hair or face when the sharp pain starts.

When it doesn't have the sharp stabbing pain it feel normal.

I've had this issue now for 5 days, the last time it occur was 3 months ago, and prior to that 5 months ago.  In the latter two it went away lasting 4-5 days

I've gone to the Primary doc who has no idea, and he thinks it might be a virus.  No issues with ear infection, no sickness.  I check out in good health.

3 days ago the pain was so bad I checked into ER, it suddenly stopped but they discharged me, and thought that a CAT scan was overkill and would expose me to unnecessary radiation.

The pains are back and it is unbearable.  ER doc perscribed me Vicodin but that just makes me dizzy and reduces the pain from 10/10 to 3/10.

I just went to an Acupunturist who;s been sticking needles in me but that doesn't seem to alleviate the problem.. though it was just one session i didn't feel an improvement.

I've already tried Tylenol Max strength, advil, anacin ... they don't do any good.
any ideas?
Very similar to this persons post but without the GERD or Uclers
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Neurology/Sharp-Pain-Back-of-Head-Behind-Ear/show/362597
There can be several reasons of your symptoms, although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Most likely your symptoms may be due to Cervical spondylosis or due to nerve irritation in the cervical (neck) spine because of injury/prolapse where contact between the edges of the vertebrae can cause neck pain. In few people, this pain may be referred and perceived as occurring in the back of head, shoulders, arms or chest, rather than just the neck. Other symptoms may include vertigo, nausea (dizziness) that you felt. Additionally, symptoms are like neck pain (electric like sensations) and stiffness can be intermittent. It will be best that you consult a neurologist who would like to prescribe Pain killers, steroid and muscle relaxants. Other treatments could be cervical orthosis such as a soft cervical collar/stiffer neck brace to restrict neck movement. In addition, cervical traction may also be suggested by the doctor, if condition is severe. Hope this helps.