Neurology Community
tingly fingers after a dog bite in arm

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

tingly fingers after a dog bite in arm

my 12 year old son was bitten in the left arm 3 days ago.  he has two pretty large teeth holes one on top and one on bottom of his arm.  the bottom of arm one actually had some of his arm "fat" hanging out.  he has been complaining that three of his fingers are tingling.  I called our doctor and they said that the bite  "PROBABLY" hit a nerve, it should be fine.  Should I be worried or should i insist on seeing a specialist to make sure  

Please help me understand this
Hi There!

First of all, I wanted to say how sorry I am that your son had to go through this in the first place....That's horrible!

My son, at age 11, was viciously attacked by a dog, as well...His injuries needed 18 stitches in both hands, both arms, and left shoulder...It was absolutely horrifying.  He also suffered a broken right hand from the dog pulling so hard.

Did you bring him to the ER when this happened, and did they clean out the wounds? Have you found out if the dog has rabies or not?  
This is not a situation that I would just sit back and take "probably" as an answer for anything, especially where my child is concerned....
There is a possibility that the doctor is right, but "probably" wouldn't be good enough for me...
Good Luck and I hope he's feeling better soon.
Tammy :)
First, you should make a police report of the bite, and determine if you can whether the animal has had its rabies shots up to date, and get documentation.  The animal may have to be monitored and/or quarantined as well. If it was a stray and there is no possibility of locating the animal, then I would ask the child's Dr. about post-exposure rabies shots. Unfortunately, once symptoms of rabies in humans appears, it is almost always fatal. The shots are no longer given in the stomach. Typically, the shoulder.