Neurology Community
trembling and leg weakness - all tests negative

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

3days ago my mom started shaking/trembling all over her body and difficulty walking. This was  at her doctors office, so he lifted her & put her on the exam table. She was taken to emergency. They did a cat scan of her head, blood work and x-ray. They said everything came back negative. A neurologist saw her for about 2 mins and said it was not neurological, that it was ANXIETY. The same thing happened a week before at home, she laid down and the symptoms went away later. In April 2006, she exhibited  same symptoms, 911 was called and she was taken to hospital. She was there 4 days, all tests there were also negative, but they mentioned possible TIA?  They plan to discharge her today. Am worried that this weakness and trembling will occur again and next time she might be in the street and will fall and  hurt herself.  What else could be causing these symptoms? I feel further tests need to be done, to rule out other things. If its really nerves/anxiety  okay, but she doesn
I don't have answers but just reading this sent a chill down my spine. I am having the exact sme thing happening to me. I get these episodes that come on suddenly where I get tremors/shaking all over my body and feel weak from head to toe. If I don't lay down it feels like I will fall down. It takes alot of effort just to raise your arms. I also get lightheaded and have an irregular heartbeat. These things used to last for a few minutes but now seem to come almost daily and may last all day. I have had all the bloodwork done which comes back fine except for I had a low magnesium level which they said could cause these symptoms, but have now been taking magnesium and my levels are where they are suppose to be and I'm still having problems. Now my Dr. seems to think it may be anxiety and I would go along with this but don't you have be anxious about something? My symptons can occur when I'm watching tv, showering, or just doing housework. Now I am suppose to see a neurologist in a couple of weeks. I am at my wits end dealing with this. I don't even like to leave the house anymore (especially drive) as I never know when this will hit. I sure hope they can get to the bottom of what is going on. Please stay in touch and let me know what they find with your mother and I will do the same. Maybe together we can figure out what is gong on. Does anybody else out there ever hear of anything like this?
Have you considered it might possibly be your (or in Ymel's case, your mother's) blood sugar dropping (hypoglycemia), especially if your mom is diabetic?  I'm not sure what you mean by weak-that could mean a lot of things, but I have had occasional episodes for the past 25-30 years where my blood sugar has suddenly dropped and my body becomes, clammy, I tremble all over, feel very "nervous/racy" inside, generally very weak, but it is always accompanied by a strong desire to eat something cold and sweet, and as soon as I do within minutes I feel better.  I am not diabetic but was tested about 25 years ago with a glucose tolerance test and my sugar dropped on it showing I had hypoglycemmia.  Since then I also have pricked my finger with my father's glucose monitor and it has shown my blood sugar to be in the 50s when this happened.  

If your mom is diabetic occasional low blood sugars might also be an issue, but you don't have to be diabetic to get episodes of hypoglycemia.  Possibly see if eating something sweet (orange juice, piece of sugar candy) when this happens helps symptoms.
I thought about that but all my bloodtests don't show a problem, but not totally believing them I also borrowed a tester and have checked my blood in the am before eating anything, after eating, and even when I have one of these episodes. My blood has been as low as 78 and as high as 123 so I am ruling out sugar being a problem. The only other thing that bothers me is I have been bitten 3 times by ticks over the last 6 years. I have been tested with 3 negatives and 1 positive results (which they have told me was false so I was retested and was negative) so my Dr. has ruled that out. I am not sure if blood will always show Lyne. I also have bouts (seems only in the colder months) of feeling itchy/ prickly all over but mostly around the stomach area. this area will feel hot and get red and blotchy. I have seen a dermo who calls it a temperature sensitive hive even though it never turns into a full blown hive. I also now get reoccuring infections (thrush/yeast/sinus)whcih never seem to clear up. I am at a loss about what is going on.
It probably isn't your blood sugar, then.

Since you say you were bitten by ticks three times I would start reading up more on Lyme if you haven't already done so.  Apparently Lyme can cause a multitude of symptoms, and possibly yours would be on that list.  There are a lot of postings here on the patient support forum and on the doctor-to-patient neuro forum regarding Lyme disease.  You can find those posts easily or do a search to see if your symptoms are consistent with it.

Also, according to the people on these boards who have Lyme disease, it doesn't always show up in the usual blood work and they had to go to "Lyme-literate" doctors who were more familiar than your average doctor with the disease.  Either there is more specialized testing, or just better labs that specialize in detecting Lyme, that there blood work is sent off to.  I would start a new post if I were you listing your symptoms and asking about definitive testing for Lyme, and I'm sure you will get a response.  Good luck.
I thought I would let you know that what the doctor says about the rash/hive you get and the itching feeling, especially in cold weather months is true. I suffer almost yearly with this type of problem and can tell you that taking an antihystamine such as Zyrtec should help. I also have to take a stomach medication such as Prilosec (?), but then I get actual hives and they are all over, especially where your clothes are tighter.
HI so sorry to hear of your mother. I had the exact same symptoms, in August of this yr. Then mine led to head pressure too. No other health trouble for me , but they thought a strict diet i was on led to my weakness, but ER blood work showe dmy blood sugar fine, etc.. no diabetes.. I went to ER three times , after i got the weakness i tried to get up and i was fumbling on stairs ,and neuro told my husband i could not be left alone.. Whata life. So sorry  to all. Kit
In case you are not aware, Klonopin (Clonazepam) is EXTREMELY addictive.  Most people taking it will suffer horrible withdrawal symptoms, which is almost far worse than the symptoms for which they originally took it.  I would stay far away from any Benzo (benzodiazepine), which this drug fall under.  Good luck.
anne- hope you still check here... im not a doctor, but i have narcolepsy & one the symptoms of narcolepsy is "cataplexy". your symptoms seem to match cataplexy, & i think it would at least be worth checking out. google cataplexy & see what you think. good luck!
hi davaanne, i've been having simular symptons.  my blood presure drops upon standing and my legs tremble i have no control over them then i fall.  had all sort of test, all negative.  no dr. knows what is the cause.  anyone have this
Did u guys test for HTLV I virus. HTLV virus causes serious neuroligical problems.