Neurology Community
unexplained left foot/ankle swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

unexplained left foot/ankle swelling

I am 25 years old and very healthy. I am not overweight, I work out regularly, eat healthy, don't smoke. For the past 3 months I have been having severe swelling in my left foot and ankle. At times the swelling continues into my calf and causes a discomfort. I first noticed the swelling after I got home from the gym one evening. I took my shoe off and my foot was huge for no reason. I have not had any injuries, insect bites or infections. The first doctor I went to took x-rays which came back normal and ran a CBC which also came back completely normal. He told me I would just have to live with the swelling and wrote a Rx for Lasik PRN to help. The Lasik does help when I take it but as soon as I stop taking it the swelling comes right back. I've been told not to take it long term as it can effect important vitamin levels. I wasn't ready to just treat the symptoms and live with it so I went to an Internist who took me off birth control pills thinking it could be hormones but the swelling continued. She then sent me for a venous doppler test which also came back normal. She is sending me for an untrasound of the heart tomorrow. If the heart tests come back normal what else could be causing this unexplained swelling? It is only in the left foot/ankle and pitts for about 30 seconds when pushed on. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a diasnosis? I am afraid that I'm at the end of the road with tests and the doctors can't seem to figure out what is causing this swelling in a young, healthy person.

This discussion is related to Unexplained Swelling of Left Foot/Ankle.
Avatar dr m tn
High blood pressure causes pooling of fluids in your legs.
Also any problem with venous shunts or drainage of veins also causes this.
If everything is normal and all your parameters are normal then you keep your legs elevated while you sleep and also while working do not stand for long hours and try to sit and also keep your legs on a stool stretched and it will help.
Without any medical problem, you should not worry.
Take care!
Avatar n tn
I'm having the same problem and went to a vascular specialist.  He said that I have venous insufficiency, which is caused by the veins in my legs being enlarged.  I am supposed to wear suppor hose for 30 days and go back to see if that worked, if not we will consider surgery.  Apparently it is not life threatening and is treatable.
The fact is there are a variety of potential reasons for a single swollen foot/leg, especially for a 25 year old. This is unusual. You appear to be describing what is called "pitting edema". Very usual at age 25.

You need a dopplar scan of both legs to rule out vascular issues.

Your physician is prudent in examining the heart. She is looking for a venous preload proble, which is unlikely at your age.

You also need to cut down on salt.

As for a diuretic, 1000mg - 1500mg of crystaline vitamin C in two or three divided doses mixed with food/drink should be tried before going to Lasix.

Please post back when you get a diagnosis from your M.D.
I meant to say "unusual" at age 25.  
Avatar n tn
I finally was diagnosed with a rare condition called Lymphedema. Basically there is a problem with my Lymphatic system for an unknown reason it is not properly draining the lymph fluid out of my foot. There is no cure and the only treatment is to wear compression stockings. Hopefully if you have the same symptoms this will help you to discuss this condition as a possibility with your doctor.
Avatar n tn
Hi Kris,  I have pretty much the same thing, and they did diagnose it as Lymphedema.  The swelling started when I was 30 and is just in my right foot.  It's been three and a half years and thank God the condition hasn't worsened.  How are you doing?  

I want to nothing but cry when I read about Lymphedema.  Some cases are so horrible.  I am used to being a healthy athletic person and I just want to know how to reverse this condition as the lymphatics were functioning just fine up until I got this at 30.  I've seen several lymphedema practitioners, they don't know how to reverse the condition, just treat it.  I'm looking for more people like you and me who got the condition later in life.  

Do you wear heels ever?  How often do you were compression?  Do you work out?  Are you considering pregnancy?  Please respond if you can as I'm trying to learn how this condition affects people who got it later in life.  Thanks.  

If anyone has a similar story please comment as well.
Hi...I am a 28-year-old female who in April 2008 started experiencing ankle swelling that would come and go. I went to my GP and she told me I was fat and needed to lose weight...so I lost almost 40 pounds. I was doing fine for awhile...until August 2009 crept up and the swelling started staying. And then there wasn't just swelling in my ankles, it continued to the tops of my feet, my legs, my fingers, my neck and my middle.

So I went back to the doctor and she sent me to the cardiologist. Healthy. Then I went to my gyno. Healthy. Then I went to a Vascualar surgeon. Healthy. And then an Endocrinologist. Healthy. And then I was referred to an Allergist. Healthy. Finally at a nephrologist...he tells me I have something called Leaky Capillary Syndrome and that my edema is called Idiopathic Cyclic Edema. I research it and find out that only 57 or so people have this condition and that no one knows a treatment/fix. So it's now April 2010 and I am still having no luck. I have been put on diuretics which don't help at all. I'm coming into summer time AGAIN and I can't even wear most shoes/clothes because of this. I WISH someone would figure something out. The nephrologist that I went to doesn't know what to do either.

Maybe that'll open your eyes to something similar.
Avatar n tn
Hi wafflecat. I too was very upset when I first began researching lymphedema. There is a surgical procedure that can in some cases reverse the symptoms but my vascular doctor didn't recommend it because she claims it causes more harm than good and the success rate it low.

I do wear heels quite a bit even though it isn't good for the feet. I wear compression stockings about 3 times a week under my pants and when I wear them it really feels good on my legs and I can tell a difference. They are not very fashionable but they do work. I am not at a point in my life where I am condsidering having children but I do plan to have them one day. I understand that having children can make lymphedema worse but I will take that chance. My swelling comes and goes and most people don't notice it until I point it out but I can tell especially because of the discomfort. It is usually around my ankle bone and on the top of my foot.

I do workout often and staying active seems to help improve my circulation and keep swelling down especially if I wear tennis shoes because the tightness acts as compression. I have noticed a pattern that when I am stressed or in the heat I notice more swelling. I hope that this helps you. I know that it is frustrating but try to stay positive.
Good Evening,

I am a 21 year old female and I have been dealing with this same issue now for two years. My swelling began on December 25, 2008, I remember the exact date because it was my 20th birthday. For 4 months I tried the compression socks but it was more of a hindrance than a help. I am 5'7" and 140 lbs, and the doctors (I saw three) couldn't figure out what is wrong with my left foot either. After a a little over half a year the pain had mostly subsided, except for an occasional flair up, and I am wearing heels again.
Besides it being a nuisance, it really doesn't bother me much except for slight discomfort at times and when it swells up more than usual. I was told that more than likely it is lymphedema, but never took the time to look up what exactly it is. But reading your words has prompted me to learning more about it.

Thanks,
Jess
Avatar n tn
I have the same kind of swelling and pain in both of my ankles. It started when I was 24 and in the best shape of my life. 7 years and 2 ankle surgeries later nothing has changed. I can't exercise without severe pain for days after and I have been tested for everything under the sun. I've seen 4 orthopedic surgeons, someone for RA testing, and the last thing was lymphedema therapy. My last doctor suggested I go to the Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic that specialize in strange conditions. He still thinks its lymphedema but the therapy didn't help and she was a great therapist. So, I'm stumped with all of you! I hope together we can solve this problem!!

Jan, Kentucky
Hi. I'm 26, almost 27, and I am starting to have something similar happen to me. Since this past summer, I've been having a weird pain on the top of my left foot, mostly when I first would wake up. Usually, the pain would be gone by the end of the day. But for the last two weeks, the pain and swelling have not gone away or gone down. It's uncomfortable to wear a shoe, and the pain is strange-feeling, sort of stinging, like a bad sunburn, but under the skin. I just went to the doctor today and she ordered some blood work and x-rays of both feet for a comparison. From the sound of things here, it sounds like it might be difficult to figure out what's wrong. I know one test ordered was for Lymes disease.
Avatar dr f tn
Hi there. This could be trauma, infection, autoimmune disorder and spine disc degenerative disease. Consult an orthopaedician for examination of the foot to rule out any trauma, fracture bone and comparison with the better foot, radio graphically. This could be peripheral neuropathy secondary to vitamin b complex deficiency, diabetes mellitus etc. autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, metabolic disorders like gout need to be checked with blood tests. MRI spine needs to be done for lumbar disc degeneration, prolapsed or spondylosis. Hope this helps. Take care.

I too have this same condition.  I have had it for years now.  It started, all of the sudden one day after doing some yard work.  My food got very swollen, red and hot.  I had not fallen, I had to bites or infections and it was very painful.  After the pain went away, the swelling never did.  

I went to my dr (at least 4 times), the chiropractor, a podiatrist. I had scans done of my legs, xrays done of my foot and everything came back normal.  I even went to the gynecologist just to make sure everything was alright.

My diet seems to affect it, as does the weather. When it's hot my foot gets very swollen, when it's cold it goes down.  I like to wear sneakers really tight as it acts as a compression.  I only wear certain kinds of shoes - shoes that cover the top of my foot because I've very self conscious about it.  Its only uncomfortable when my foot is extra swollen.  I have had 2 children and with each one the swelling was incredible - but since both feet swelled the dr said it was fine.    

After reading all of these comments I will be doing further research.  They told me I was just going to have to live with it.
I have had one foot swollen for 12 years and last year I decided to go gluten free because of a rash I developed and within 6 weeks the swelling in my foot was almost gone for the first time.  Just might want to give it a try.  I too never wore sandals or anything that might show my foot because I was uncomfortable.
Have a complete Thyroid Panel. Very indicative of Graves Disease. I too experienced this and that was my first symptom.
Hi I have just been reading this thread, I have what my pain clinic Dr/Consultant calls  sever true sciatic for 9 months now which has caused me to be unable to continue as a proper independent person and in this time I have also been diagnosed with no thyroid which causes me to fall asleep at the drop of a hat and in the last 5 months a very peculiar occurrence has happened to me, my left foot and ankle has swollen to the size of a blown up rubber glove leaving just these flailing toes at the end of it also both my feet feel like they have invisible bruises on the dorsal sides but there has been NO injurys to either of my feet save for the bulging lumbar disk in my back.
I feel that my body is falling apart on me!  My mum a month before she passed away gave me some water tablets to try and well they don't work, I have seen my doctor and he said I have to put my feet up and have them at the same hight as my hips, but thats not working.
Could this be a symptom of my thyroid problem? or my Sciatic problem?
I want to know what the heck is going on with me for a few reasons
A. because my socks are tight on my feet, my shoes and rubber clogs don't fit and even getting a size bigger  become to small.
B. Its just my left foot and very slight odeama in my right foot.

Does any one think whether it could be a reaction to medications, or my age (42),has any one tried any holistic approaches as well as the medical approach if so what was it and for how long, has this had any impact on your situation or symptoms ( my chosen profession is relfexologist)
Finally, I've come to a site where individuals are experiencing the same problem with JUST one lower leg, foot, ankle.  I just went to a rheumatologist in the city and they did ultrasounds complete of both legs from the groin down, then XRAYS of both legs from the knee down, then XRAYS of both feet, a chest XRAY and a full blood work up.  All tests came back that I'm great, but I still have the problem.  I don't understand any of this.  I'm thinking about trying the gluten free diet also to see if that helps.  Any other ideas??
Hi there, I'm 21 and have experienced swelling in my right foot for the last 2 1/2 years. For me, it was following a few very painful injuries on the foot (girl trod on me with heels etc) and an intensive ballet show. I have seen orthopaedic doctors, physios, had MRIs etc etc. Eventually I saw a vascular surgeon this year and he thought it was lymphedema due to the trauma and prescribed me compression stockings to wear every day.

This is a very sad issue for me too, as like you, I'm a healthy and fashion conscious young girl. I wear the stocking when I'm on my feet the whole day (at uni, work etc), or if i'm at the gym or exercising but don't wear it if I go out at night or if I want to get my legs out in summer. I wear heels sometimes, but I bid goodbye to my very high ones and opted for some more medium height, chunky ones with more support. I find very flat shoes that offer no support are actually worse than a moderate heel, so I steer away from these. I can sometimes wear them for a little while if I'm wearing my stocking, which I wear underneath tights or trousers.

Other than a stocking, drinking lots of water, regular exercise (I do dance - though not ballet anymore - go to the gym, swim, lots of exercise classes, badminton etc) and elevating my feet when I'm at home really helps. Also, I'm going to see a lymphedema specialist soon who will hopefully suggest massage and maybe custom fit a better stocking. Hope this helps a bit, Sarah x
I am a 29 years old and for the past 5-6 years I have been suffering from lymphedema in my left foot. I have had numerous tests and seen numerous doctors of the years and I've received the same response from all of them: there's no treatment to reverse this, and that I will have to live with it.
I can't express how upsetting that news was/is... with modern medicine today, it is so difficult to believe that there is no cure for this.

I am very delicate with my foot: I elevate it and have eliminated salt completely from my diet. No heels, more exercise and I try to wear compression stockings when I can.
The heat (especially the humidity) really swells up my foot.

I catch myself looking at, even after so many years, so many peoples' ankles while I'm in public, hoping I will find another person with my problem... and I never have. This is so rare; maybe that's why there is no cure... not enough research money towards this because so few people have it.

Maybe one day we will have a cure :)

I'm 27 male and am having same problem in right foot. I was kicking a heavy bag at the gym last year that wasn't properly anchord. So i kicked it wrong when it was swinging and it kind of hurt my foot. Didn't think much of it...about a week later after getting off an airplane, my foot started to hurt and it swelled up. Went to several docotrs. They gave me all kinds of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-inflam. Gave me a splint and crutches and had me stay off of it (keeping it elevated above my heart). Had x-rays and no bone issues. The problem went away and i thought i was ok.

11 months later, the issue has come back. Once again, X-rays, sonograms, blood tests, manay docotors. Nothing seems to work.

I was on Prednisone for 10 days and the issue seemed to be gone. Soon as i stopped taking the pills, the issue came right back. So the Dr. gave me prednisone for the next month. I have a fealing its only treating the symptoms and not the cause.

I'm going to try and switch to a gluton free diet as suggested by Reyenga. My grandma can't have gluton eigther but she is a good bit older than me. Seems odd that i have an issue like this at my age.
I've had the same issue for two years. Same doc. answers. Had 3 ultrasounds, numerous x-rays, and cat scans.  They just can't seem to figure out what it is.  The last visit I had, the doc. (who specialized in veins) said I had lymphedema -- I beg to differ.

I'm a healthy, 23 y/o female, who exercises regularly.  The problem tends to flare up when I haven't had enough sleep, eat any sweets, too much caffeine, or alcohol.  Alcohol has MAJOR effects.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one.  I'm going to try going gluten free and see if there's a relative effect.  Also, I'd like to cut out caffeine.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Please do the same.
Avatar n tn
1 year ago I was bitten by a spider on the top of my left foot. It swelled and became painful to walk or even tough the skin on that foot. The symptoms disappeared in a few days.

Since that event my left foot has swollen up just the same as it did with the bite on 4-5 separate occasions with each outbreak lasting 2-3 days in duration then fully disappearing. I've been to the doctor on each occasion and they don't know what is causing it.

I take 2-3 Prednisone tablets a month for a different condition and it was interesting to see that 'swollenrightfoot' was prescribed this to reduce his swelling, and it worked. Prednisone has some serious side-effects which is why I only take a few per month but my foot swelled up again today so I'm going to take them and see if it helps.

Reading all of e above posts it seems I may have Lymphedema. I'll see a doctor and find out if that's what I've got.
Like all of you I have one foot that swells when it is hot outside or if I am standing it on for a long period of time.   It happened over night.  Went to bed and the next morning it was profoundly swollen. (this happened 25 year ago) I could only fit into a pair of runners.  No idea what caused this.  Went to every known specialist including acupuncture and reflexology.  No one knows what is going on.   They did test for blood flow and the blood is not flowing as fast in the one leg.  I have learned to live with it...and yes I do wear high heels but look for styles which hide the swelling somewhat - T straps shoes or enclosed.
I do think that I will try the gluten free diet.   Anything is worth a try.
I too have similar problems in my left ankle/foot with swelling and my symptoms are similar to most everyone else.
This has been going on for about 8 or 9 years now and my doctor tried the fluid pills on me, it helped but didn't completely eliminate my problem, just masked it for a while. (once my body got use to the Lasix, it wouldn't work unless I increased my dosage, and I eventually quit taking them all together because I was afraid of taking them long term and the effects to my body)
I am very curious to see whether any of you have any new information on your condition/treatment and to see if anyone found good results with the Gluten Free diet.  I would be interested to hear any suggestions from you guys....
I am going to research this Lymphedema and ask my doctor about it when I see him next......
Julie
Same prob-sort of.
Im 35 and have had swelling in one one ankle & subsequent leg for years. I learned a while ago that one leg was longer, bc my spine is not 100% straight. The longer leg swells. I also had arthroscopic surgery on that knee after tearing the meniscus kickboxing. Some days it doesnt swell most days it does, even if a little. I compression stocking most nights, and many days (in the winter). I had the vascular test run, no prob. I also have a few freckles on that ankle that come and go, they were biopsysed once. Im going to step up my compression from 20-30mmhg to 30-40...has that helped anyone? I have not tried to alter my diet. I think that it swells because of the extra pressure it recieves being longer. I also occasionally wear a lift in my shoe to compensate however I think my body just favors that leg on an unconscience level.
I never thought about how pregnany would effect it. I appreciate this forum, lets continue to share.
Hello I am 31 and I have had the same problem since I was a child. I have had every test doctors could think of multiple times over the years and also was put on lasik but I stopped taking if because of the long-term effect. Basically I will have the swelling in my left foot and ankle for the rest of my life doctors say. I am healthy in shape and not over weight either. Doctors also prescribed me several support stockings that never worked.
Hi,  I am  26 years of age and just 5 days ago my left foot started swelling and since then has not gone down. I have not been to any doctors as yet but have been planning to go see one this weekend, I am not sure if i have Lymphedema but after reading about all of you i am very serious about finding out, and i understand that it might not be very harmful over years but it is uncomfortable and will affect what type of shoes i would like to wear, my foot looks like it did when i was first pregnant and then i had a reason for the swelling i just find it strange that nothing can be done about it!!!
Hi, this conversation got me really scared. My ankle started swelling for basically no reason 2 weeks ago. It was not too bad at the beginning, but then I made a dreadful mistake and went running. And here we go... I could not walk normally for couple of days because of the pain, went to an out-patient clinic but they said it was nothing serious, just no running for a while and everything would be fine. I went to see the nurse in my local surgery, and she basically said the same thing. But it's been 5 days since then, walking is better if less than 20 minutes, but it gets pretty bad if I have to stand for a while (in a queue, or when I'm taking a shower, or when I'm cooking!). I'm starting to feel a bit dizzy and feel the area in my chest, too, I can't say it is a chest pain, but just a strange feeling I don't remember having before. Does the feeling seem familiar to anyone? I will try the nurse again on Monday or Tuesday, am thinking whether I should be persistent and ask to see the specialist asap, or not.
This is the conversation I have been searching for since my foot swelled 2 months ago.  Here is my story.  Started with a lymph node behind right ear that went away.  I then felt tired, achy, bones, muscles, headache you name it I felt it.  That sort of subsided.  Then on June 13 my foot (left) was swollen with pitting edema.  I had pain in the leg and behind knee, not terrible more a constant nerve nagging pain.  My back also hurts but I have lower back issues.  I am overweight as well.  I had an ultrasound of my leg it was negative for DVT but a lymph node was enlarged they called benign.  So my MD ordered a CT of the abdomen and pelvis that was negative but there were a few enlarged benign reactive lymph nodes.  Myself or my doc cannot feel any of them so he thinks they have gone down.  My problem is my foot continues to swell up, it will go down but then right back up.  It feels like pins and needles and my leg hurts when it swells.  My right foot will swell slightly but not bad.  I had an echocardiogram that was fine.  I am to see a vascular surgeon next week, my MD thinks lymphedema possibly.  It is terrible, I feel like I am 100 the way I walk and drag my leg.  My leg feels heavy as well.  It looks terrible, like an elephant trunk it is quite embarrassing.  I need to lose weight but it is hard to walk and I can't even put a sneaker on to exercise.  I am going nuts I need answers to this because it is not normal.  
I am a 40 year old active female. My swelling started at age 33 (during the summer). I have had every test you can image (all normal) and seen every doctor you can image (all said the same thing that it was lymphedema and that I would have to live with this for the rest of my life).

I had 3 children before I turned 30 and never experienced any swelling in my ankles with either pregnancy (one pregnancy was with twins which I carried full-term and no problems). I had my last child at age 35 by way of IVF and oddly enough, I had very little swelling in my ankles during this pregnancy. Before this pregnancy, the swelling was mild, no pain at all and no discomfort. After this pregnancy, the swelling began to increase and now has a really weird discomfort sometimes it's so bad that I could not sleep at night.

At age 37, I had breast implants and I healed with no complications whatsoever but I still experienced swelling in my ankle. At age 38, I had a tummy tuck and it was coupled with complications. After the drainage tubes were removed, my stitches started coming through my skin and my stomach started swelling. The surgeon told me that I had excessive swelling from lymphedema so I had to have lymphatic massages to help me heal. During the entire episode of my tummy tuck healing, I didn't experience any swelling in my ankle, NONE! Once my stomach healed, I continued with the lymphatic massages and yet the unexplained swelling in my ankle returned with a vengeance. It is worse now than it has ever been.

I will not give in to medications or surgeries because no doctor has yet to tell me that it will cure this unexplained swelling in my ankle. I will try almost anything that is natural...I am highly considering a gluten-free diet.
Hi Kris,

Your description of your symptoms and trips to the doctors for tests and diagnosis are spot on to what i have endured.

As your posts were since 2009, was wondering if you've had any breakthroughs you can share with me as i am desperate for a solution.
This has happened to me 12 weeks ago. I am 28, have been a dancer for 14 years and suddnely my leg and foot have swollen. I have had ultra sounds, xrays and now just waiting for an MRI, but the more I read the more it looks like the Lymphaneda but I am not diagnosed.

Has anyone found anything that can help because currently I am having to wear flip flops, elasticated shoes or canvas pumps, none of which look attractive with dresses or skirts. I can't get any other shoes on without being in severe pain.

Any advice or support would be very grateful because right now I am giving up hope of looking like a normal female again.

Thank you
Hi Janice1212!  My swelling began in 2006 when I was just 24 years old.  I was about 4 months along with my youngest of two children.  I assumed at the time that it was just pregnancy swelling and that it would go away after I had the baby.  It in fact, did not.  Seven years later and both of my feet, ankles and calves swell.  I have been to several different doctors and I've been told Lymphedema by some, but the one I'm seeing now at UK is telling me that he doesn't think it's Lymphedema because my toes don't swell.  I am over-weight and that is caused by another little known condition called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), which I'm also in the process of getting treated.  I have had the eLves procedure done on both legs because the vascular surgeon I saw told me I had very deep vericose veins in both legs.  Thinking this would take care of the problem, he burned both of the veins shut.  I was told that this procedure helps around 90% of patients, but unfortunately I was in the 10% it did not work for.  I was told to lose weight and that I would see a difference, but I am having a very difficult time with that.  I don't know what to do or where to turn if I don't find out anything at UK.  Mayo or Cleveland Clinic may be next on the list.  This condition is very irritating and uncomfortable and it isn't exactly very eye pleasing either.  Hoping and praying something comes of this!
I am just 20 years old and I have been facing unexplained swelling in my left ankle more than my right ankle and foot for the past 4 years. I hide my feet away from everyone. I cant wear the basic cute flat, because my feet swell so much at the top that everyone thinks I'm pregnant. It is so embarrassing. Wearing heels is very painful and boots are a better choice. I work in retail and it takes a toll on my feet that some days my ankles seem to never want to go down. I now believe that after all my years of visiting doctors and not finding an answer it is lymphoma. I am also starting a gluten free diet as well. Can any one help me as well.
I'm a 40 yr old female and have recently noticed my left foot  is swollen. I haven't been to the doctors yet and I go to bed with my feet raised above my heart. Seems to be a little bit better  in the morning but the swelling gradually comes back. I hv just been touching my ankle and it leaves an impression when I poke it. Very bizarre. I hv 3 kids and never had swollen ankles. Summers coming up (well sort of if you live in Melbourne) and I am dreading wearing sandles with these kangles.
I have had my left ankle/foot swollen since I was about 15 years old.  I have been tested and all tests have come back negative.  I was never given a diagnosis but the treatment has always been the same: compression stockings.  I wear the compression stockings sometimes, but there are times they actually hurt and dig into the bend of my foot.  I am now 62 years old and still have my left swollen ankle/foot and have learned to live with it, and use the compression stockings mainly in the summer when the humidity is high.  My foot is more swollen during the summer.  Fortunately, slacks are much more popular nowadays because I am uncomfortable wearing dresses because of my swollen foot.  I take breaks sitting down and put a lot more pressure on my right leg.  It's not life threatening and it is uncomfortable, but you do learn to live with it.
Hello Everyone,
I too experience many of these same symptoms. I am 32 and have experienced this for the last 6 yrs on and off. I find that I notice the most swelling if I attempt to wear heals for any period of time. I have also recently noticed some swollen glands or lymph nodes in my neck. I saw a post above about someone who can fall asleep at the drop of a hat... I have been experiencing this for the last few years. I will be sitting at my desk at work and all of a sudden I am dozing off. It doe not matter how much rest I get. I had seen a few dr's in the beginning but as many of you have experienced no one seems to know what it is. I have even had dr's act like I am dr shopping... It has been a very painful embarrassing and annoying experience. I going to go back to the dr and see if anyone can figure this out. Please everyone keep posting I thnk the more we learn from eachother the better off we will all be. Even if we don't all suffer from the same conditions we can use eachother experience to at least rule other things out... Thanks Guys!!!
I am curious if you "bovvered" , or any of the same thread here, eat organic
or raw vegan? I also wonder if any of you have researched how your food is grown (animal or plant)? I think you all would come to know the powerful
effects that the way we eat and the way its grown for you to eat has a connection. It might take time to find real truths, but please research this. Thier is alot of money being put into growing food UNnatual. Its all leading us to very diseased and suffering bodies.
I also have the problem everyone is talking about here.  Interestingly, no doctor has ever mentioned Lymphedema to me even though I have seen several doctors regarding the swelling I have in my left foot and ankle.  I have had it for years but recently it has gotten much worse.  I recently bumped that ankle on a sharp object and a few days later the swelling appeared and was so bad I went to the emergency room where they took x-rays.  Nothing was broken and the emergency room doctors could not explain why this took place several days later after the injury.  The swelling was so bad, my foot had broken blood vessels and bruising.  I didn't even think the injury was that bad when I did it and I still wonder if that even had anything to do with this flare up.  It has been a month and this foot is still more swollen than it has been in previous years.  I eat very healthy, hardly anything processed, nothing canned, no beef and very small portions of chicken and fish.  I think I will try the gluten free diet to see if that has any connection.  If that doesn't work, I will resort to wearing the support stockings as according to the doctors, I have no health problems and this is just something I am going to have to live with.  I have had 5 children and the swelling started after that.  
I have the same problem that everyone is talking about here.  It has been going on for me for over 5 years, it gets worse depending on what I eat.  I have been to several doctors over the years but haven't had anyone of them mention to me lymphedema.  Can anyone tell me what doctor to go to for lymphedema?  I have gone to a different doctor about every 9 months.  I am on a high blood pressure medicine to help pull the fluid off of my foot and it doesn't help as much as it first did 5 years ago.  I recently did a cleanse diet and for the first time in 5 years my foot was the same size as my right one and looked like the same person.  For 5 years now I have looked down at my feet and they do not look like they belong to the same person.  any help anyone has to give me is really appreciated.  I am so glad I found this group.  thanks.
To all of the sufferers of this; I too have this and I have found the reason which is very hard to swallow. I have several very close friends which are Doctors. One is a pathologist who has informed me that this is a symptom of the body fighting a foreign substance. He has seen this and other similar unexplainable symptoms usually with the lymphatic system, cropping up at an alarming rate. Dr Russell Blaylock also has good info about this.  I have studied this for years and approached my Congressmen and Senators. They are aware of it but won't talk about it. Metalic salts, Fibers/Filaments and Engineered Biologicals are causing our problems. I am not a fear monger and I am a very positive but sensitive person. This journey I have taken over the last few years has been a trip like Alice in Wonderland... strange! Please see it for yourself...
I am a Mechanical Engineer and very down to earth when it come to these kinds of things. What I found was simply disturbing, I am now using a treatment that has helped me tremendously. Dr Robert Beck helped to develop this but it is sold out of Canada by a company called SOTA Instruments. I hope this helps to be a starting point for some...  If you go to You tube and search "Bio-engineering - How They are Changing You" Please let others know...
Best wishes on your personal journey...
Hello - I found this page because I was searching for a possible reason as to why I am having many of the same symptoms that everyone else is having - swelling ankles and feet (sometimes with twinging/tingling pain). I will preface this by saying that I DO have high blood pressure, but am on medication for it (part of that being a type of water pill). The swelling comes and goes, but as I live in TX, I've noticed that the heat makes it worse. As well, when I do any walking, while I know overall it's "good for me," I noticed that my feet are hot, sore, and swollen after I get back from a long walk....I just want to soak my feet in cold water! I was one of the first people in my office to have a standing desk...which didn't last more than a month, because I had so much swelling and pain in my feet by the end of the day I had to get rid of it! My feet would be NUMB and stay numb for awhile even after I got home, so I knew something was not right. I haven't yet visited a doctor for my symptoms, but I'm glad I have a couple of possible causes.  

HOWEVER, the real reason I'm responding is because of what you, samaritan4u, had to say about "Metallic salts, Fibers/Filaments and Engineered Biologicals..." By "engineered biologicals" do you mean GMOs??? (Genetically Modified Organisms or GE's - Genentically Engineered food).  Because if so, then yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this!  I have been studying, researching, and gleaning every bit of information I can on GMOs and how they might affect us. Thirty years of GMOs in the food system have given us myriad health problems, so I am assuming that this is just part of those health issues. samaritan4u, do you have any links to documents/white papers/websites or videos that would offer more information? From my own perspective, I have put together a list of videos about GMO/GE foods, if anyone is interested:  http://sdrv.ms/18MJ6d2  Keep in mind, the companies who control and create GMOs/GEs based the safety of their "food" on the results from only ONE 90-day scientific experiment (which showed it was "safe") but have nothing that shows what the long-term effects would be. However after 30 years, I think we can see for ourselves what those results are! (and we can feel it in our feet and ankles!) Please educate yourselves on GMOs and GE foods and GO ORGANIC as much as possible! There are a ton of videos on YouTube as well.  
To the people who think that this could be a symptom of being poisoned by GMOs and toxic food and drink, you are correct. My entire body became swollen from my head to my toes for 2 years, but the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me. I couldn't wear my shoes or my clothes. My body hurt all over. I had psoriasis and eczema so bad that my eyes were nearly swollen shut. My hands would bleed from my dry skin.  I could barely walk and thought it was time for me to die. I was only 58 yrs. old and ordered my gravestone. Then I did a lot of research, and I decided to take out of my diet ALL grains, dairy, MSG, GMO's, soy, processed foods, fast foods, restaurant foods, chemicals, preservatives etc. I started drinking pure spring water from the source so that i could remove chlorine and fluoride. Guess what happened? Within 4 months, my swelling started going down, and I was off my blood pressure meds. Within 6 months, I had lowered my cholesterol by 100 pts. and my triglycerides went from 260 to 130. By 6 months I had lost 17 pounds of fluid from the inflammation in my body. It has now been 15 months, and I'm almost back to normal again. However, I will never eat the standard American diet (SAD) again. I make my own almond milk and almond flour. I make my own coconut milk and coconut flour. I eat organic most of the time and locally grown when I can get it. I eat only grass-fed meat, wild caught salmon, and soy-free GMO-free fed chickens and their eggs. Actually, that was the last part of the puzzle for me. I knew something was still poisoning me, and I finally found out that it was the chickens and eggs with soy and GMO feed that were doing it. I don't eat anything out of a can or a box. I cook natural, clean, whole foods. I bake my own almond and flax seed bread and muffins. I was ready to die, but now I'm going to live. I have just a small amount of swelling in my left ankle and the top of my left food and cannot figure out why. But I will keep searching for the answer until I do.  
I read you have Lymphedema in your left foot.
I too have it in my left foot for the past 4-5 years, just recently they diagnosed me and got me the compression stockings and circulator pump.
They HAVE to be able to find a cure for this. They can do miracles with brains and heart surgery and even vein surgery so I don't understand why they can't fix a lymphatic problem.
I think it's because there are not enough cases to warrant a government grant but in my opinion there are more people with it than we know of.
I bet a lot of people have it but due to the lack of pain often not see a doctor about it (like I did).
We need more awareness, people with the condition speaking up about the symptoms to make other people with those symptoms aware of it and go see a doctor.
Henk (50 year old male with Lymphedema)
Hello All.  Now I know that I'm not going crazy.  I had a heart sonogram 1 1/2 year ago, I did a thorough blood work on June 7th, everything came back normal except my Bad Cholestrol is High, my Vitamin D is very low, and my Thyroid is low.  In 2012 I noticed that my left foot became swollen, and shortly after I twisted the same ankle.  At the same time felt tingling and pins and needles in the left foot.

Prior to these feet problems, I often felt tingling and pins & needles in the left foot. I went to a neurologist in 2011 who performed a test on both my feet. The results showed that everthing was normal.  

I had feet Xrays done in 2012 and 2013, nothing showed. My Podiatrist told me that I had Planter Facsitis.  

However, about a month ago, I noticed that my left foot became swollen. I have no problem walking, but at night it does down. I wear a compression sock on that leg, it helps but it makes me feel nauseous.  I have a referral for another XRAY.  I'm hoping that I can get some relief as to what is happening to my body.  I'm beyond frustrated. I just turned 48 and was told that I'm going through menopause :-(
I have the same issue with my left foot only and have been to 6 doctors over the past 8 months. After reviewing this post last night I found this site and tried Coliander seeds boiled in water as directed (two times a day) from this site to reduce swelling and this evening the swelling of my left foot is completely gone! Please research Coliander seeds on the net or YouTube. It will be an added part of my daily routine every day from now on.

Here is the site I first heard of this remedy:
http://www.homeveda.com/women-health/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-edema.html
Your article was posted a few years ago and i'm not sure you will see this but I have the same exact problem. I am 47 and about 4 years ago my foot started swelling (mainly my left foot). I have been to every Dr. under the sun, orthopedist, cardiologist, allergist, gyno, etc. and had every test you can think of but no one can tell me why my foot is swollen. It's worse in the summer when it's hot or humid out. In the winter the swelling is minimal! If I go near the ocean, like on a vacation, POOF! My foot is huge! If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sick of explaining why my foot is big all the time and it would be nice to wear cute sandals in the summer! Right now it's really swollen and the top of my ankle hurts.
my son is experiencing this as well hes almost 18 has the left foot only swelling no ankle blows up where he cant put a shoe on stays that way sometimes for extended period of time same xrays sonogram all dopler test all come back perfect this week to vascular dr for another test since no one else has any idea, obviously its not so uncommon as the drs make you think any advice welcome what to try next
Am 24 yrs..with same problem, Take heart dear ones it could be worse..this condition is not life threatening you learn to live a fulfiling life with it..incase you havent yet confirmed that what you hve is lyphedema ask your doctor to carry out a lyphoscitigraphy study on your foot..it confirms it..

thank you all for your comments. I have just recently researched again on this condition I have been having for about 6 years (the swelling started in my left foot when I was 32 for no apparent reason). I had also seen many doctors and different specialists in 2 countries but none of them has ever mentioned lymphedema and they pretty much just told me to live with it as all the tests came back normal. The swelling in my left foot has become more uncomfortable lately and my both feet feel really tired even though I don't walk much. Like many of you I am very conscious of what I eat, and try to buy organics as much as possible. I do yoga and other gentle exercises.
I will go to see a doctor again and ask to do the test for lymphedema. thank you for bringing this up. I am also considering trying a different diet that could perhaps help the issue.
thank you for all the advices.
Hey everyone,

I've read most of the stories on here and can definitely relate to the frustration, esp. since it's just going on in ONE foot..

I believe my swelling resulted from coming down hard on my right ankle. I was so thankful I didn't break anything and the only symptom at the time that I had was pain (obviously lol) from coming down on my foot, no swelling. The pain went went away and my foot seemed fine.

THEN, I want to say about a week or so later I woke up one morning and my foot and back of knee were in extreme pain. My foot was clearly swollen, (but not behind my knee). I could not put the slightest pressure on it because it hurt so bad. Within a week the pain cleared, *thankfully*, but the swelling has never subsided.

It starts to feel really pressurized when standing on it for too long, and it gets really hot, and maybe a little more swollen b/c of how inflamed it gets.

I've had a venous Doppler, MRI, and x-ray done that came back all clear. (Well, MRI did have a ganglion cyst near my big toe that I was unaware of since my foot is swollen but Dr didn't seem to think that was the issue). I've had 2 GP's, seen 2 podiatrists, and 2 vascular surgeons. I had physical therapy recently and my PT was thinking it may have been due to nerve damage so he gave me some exercises to do at home to get the "nerves sliding" again if that were the issue. No improvement seen. :(

So my next step it sounds like my GP is saying is the lymphatic therapy, though I must say I am a bit nervous/skeptical that that will help b/c my swelling was not a gradual onset and it has never pitted, though the skin itself is not hard (Did/does anyone's foot not pit?) and from what I've read there's initially pitting with lymphedema so I don't know... Also never had any swelling/pain issues with the foot prior.  Honestly at this point I would just be happy with a diagnosis, even if it is lymphedema! :( It is driving me BONKERS not knowing what is causing it.

On the upside I am thankful it has not gotten worse swelling wise but the burning and pressurized discomfort is there daily. I keep hoping to have an answer soon...

Thanks for reading.
I just woke up in the middle of the morning this morning with my ankle hurting.  As the day is progressing on, my ankle is getting more swollen
Have you received any more light on this subject? You sound exactly like me
Have you received any update on what is going on with you? You sound exactly like me
My right foot has been swollen since November, 1999. I've been to so many doctors, orthopedic surgeons, have had numerous tests done, and the only thing I've been told is that I may have injured my foot so long ago and that the fracture was so tiny it didn't show up on either the MRI or the X-ray. I have even been to one of the United States' mosts prestigious hospitals. Since 1999, I have not been able to wear a shoe on my right foot. To this day, nobody knows why it suddenly swelled and has remained that way. I do notice that eating salty foods causes it to swell more, so I limit my salt intake, but I've had to purchase shoes with extremely high insteps and I have had to take my right shoe off all the time, even when driving, because if I don't, I feel as if somebody has wrapped rubber bands around it. I've learned to live with the problem, because I have no other choice.
I just want to add another story to this collection.  I live in Canada but was living in France when my left foot swelled up.  It started a week before my 47th birthday and after 15 months hasn't changed a bit. I had blood work, X-rays and an MRI done in France and the same here and all check out ok. My swelling isn't as bad as some of you, I can still wear regular shoes and I don't have pitting (but as a man its not such a big deal about how I look in shoes). Nothing seems to affect it, I can drink alcohol and eat salty food and it remains unchanged. I play tennis and for the most part I'm ok.  I have learned to live with it.  I've tried acupuncture but to no avail. I usually only notice it at night where I can feel either tingling, numbness, hot, or cold sensations in either the top, bottom or side of my left foot or up the back of my calf.
Hi everyone,

I read these comments for over a year having a similar problem with my left foot started swelling.  

I am 45 years old and very active.  I trained and competed in a 100km charity walk when I 1st notice both my legs swelling.  I could do 30km without any issues, but longer distances it became an issue.  I kept running every day - which made it easier.  My work is sale with lots of sitting in a car or behind a desk.  I also travel a lot, and my 'flying socks' became a must.

Post the walk I found that my left ankle kept swelling up and a muscle in my calf was always sore.  At the end of a day I could not get my foot into a shoe.  Hot days was worse.
I researched everything and saw doctors and did every possible test without any solution.   My gynecologist told me I have weakened veins and just have to live with it.
I am young and don't want to live with it.

I came across this blog and was surprised how many young & active people suffer the same issue.
In Nov 2014 I decided to cut out most gluten and alcohol to see if this can be the issue.  My condition improve within 2 weeks, but was not sure if it is the wine or gluten.  I am a scientist and one should try one thing at a time - now I need to look at if this is alcohol related or wine.

When I eat gluten - I feel very quickly a tingle in my left foot.  Almost like my feet is burning.   I hate bread at the end of December and my feet started to swell up - it felt like my feet were balloons (swelling even under my feet).  The wine contributed minimally to the condition apart from white wine.  I think sugars might be another issue, but have not investigated this option.

I would suggest to everyone...listen to your body.  Watch your diet and cut products out for a period of time to see if this can be one of the problems.

It is Feb and hot - my legs are not swelling apart from when I have some gluten.  

I hope this helps!!
Bobmz
Have any of you connected your foot and ankle swelling to a flu vaccine, possible reaction?

I received a flu vaccine in Oct. of 2014, in Dec. of 2014, I had the flu, fever, chills etc.  In Jan. I am experiencing severe hip pain and walking funny ( a gait change) because of it.  Sharp eye pain and neck pain occasionally.  The last week I noticed my left foot and ankle swelling, the right one less so, but slightly swollen.

I have been researching flu complications because of the current discussion on the measles vaccine.  However one post talked about the complications from flu vaccines, and a lot of these side effects were listed!  
If so, it means that there is a toxin in your body that needed to be
eliminated.

I am taking some things from the health food store that are said to help detox a system.  and, eating organic whole fresh fruits and veg. to make sure there are no other toxins going into my body.  In addition field fed meat if I have it.

I have had a swollen left ankle/calf for 2 years it initially swelled up on holiday after a 9 hour flight and has never went down since there is no pain and i do not know whether to be worried or not anyone got any ideas on what i should do? Thanks
Hi,I'm a 26 year old male.Like some of you,i keep fit and exercise regularly.I woke up to a swollen left foot.Its been like this for 3 weeks now.went to all the specialist doctors,performed xrays,ultrasounds,blood tests but everything came back normal.The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me.The foot started with a sting on the top,but later swelled on the outer.It was slightly painful but gradually faded,but the swell remained.I find its better in the morning when i wake up,but progressively swells as the day goes by,more so on a warm day.I'll try the gluten free diet as suggested and let you know.Lets all work together to find a cure.
Okay, y'all are a whole lot younger than me (I am 72 and very healthy).  This past summer in early August (2014) I switched from Azor to a combination of amlodipine (10mg) and losartan (100mg) for blood pressure (to save money).  On August 30th I returned from an afternoon family reunion.  Both ankles and lower legs were very swollen and rather painful.  I immediately went to Google and found out that it might be the amlodipine that was causing the swelling.  I saw my GP on the following Tuesday and he lowered my amlodipine to 5mg.  That fixed the swelling until a little more than a month ago.  Then I started noticing the left ankle swelling again and a tightening feeling in the inside of my calf).  It was happening on and off, nothing regular.  I mentioned it to my doctor the beginning of March asking why in just one ankle.  He said "ah, well, the human body is just unpredictable."  I let it go because it wasn't bothering me that much.  Now in the past week or so, it is bothering me to the point where it is very uncomfortable to walk more than a block or two.  

I am not to most active person in the world but I hate not being comfortable enough to do a lot of walking.  I am about ten pounds overweight but except for a little bit of arthritis in my right knee and shoulder am in pretty good shape.

Now thanks to y'all, I think I think I know what is going on and will definitely research lymphedema and talk to my doctor about it.  I will try the compression stockings.  Wearing them won't bother me.  I almost never wear shorts and absolutely never wear heels.  (At my age, my being comfortable doesn't include wearing any shoes having heels higher than about one inch.)

I LOVE GOOGLE!!!!

i am 50 yrs old now in 2015.I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes.i am over weight but had been yrs prior to my left foot swelling.I had five children and had some swelling in bothe ankle then some.
  In 2007 i had a hysterectomy and was given an epidural(never had one before).During and after my recovery time my left ankle started swelling.Whe i mentioned it to my doctor he said it was a coinsidence.The swelling didn't go down overnight.It did this everyday for 1 year.Then it was once in a while except in the heat.i have had a full thyroid panel done and doppler on that leg Knee to ankle and later groin to knee.
  None of my doctors seems to know why it happens.Lymphedema was never mentioned but after reading this i doubt it's that either.
  I hope someone figures this out soon.
So...I just want to get this right. You say you "will not give in to surgery or medicine", one of which may actually help you. But you have no problem getting surgery for breast implants and a tummy tuck???
I also have swelling in my left foot and ankle.  This has been going on for almost 14 years.  I have had a lot tests, and like so many of you, the doctors are not certain why.  I'm 55 and relatively heathy.  No high blood pressure and no heart issues.  I don't get the exercise I know I should get, and I work in an office where I sit most of the day.  
My leg swells much more during the hot, humid summer months.  The water pills did not work, and there was nothing else the doctors could think of to try to help me.  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all of these posts, is my father and my paternal grandmother also had this "condition ."  I always thought it was hereditary, but it may not be.  Does anyone else have a family member with the same problem?  I am very self-conscious of my feet, and find myself looking at other people to see if they have the same problem.
I really am grateful that I found this, it makes me feel like I'm not a freak and not the only one with this problem.
Hi all,

I've had swelling and tingling in my left foot for almost 10 years. I'm 41 now and it started when I was 32. I got a bunch of mosquito bites on my feet and the condition has existed since. My left foot and ankle used to swell up so badly that I was super embarrased and it felt think, heavy, and painful. My left foot and ankle can still get pretty bad and I also experience it a little bit in my right foot once in a while. It gets aggravated with heat, sitting, and standing. Doctors said it's probably due to a sluggish lymphatic system. Based on consultations with a naturopath and traditional Chinese medicine doctor a few years ago, here are some things tha help me. Of course, I'm not saying that this will work for everyone and I'm not a doctor so this is really just stuff that I've tried that seems to help.

1. Rebounder! I find that starting my day with bouncing on a mini trampoline for even 10-15 minutes helps my lymphatic system work better. In the summer, if I do it a few times throughout the day while listening to 2 or 3 songs, it makes even more difference. Google the benefits of rebounding if you're interested. I feel like it's a healthy thing to do even if it doesn't take all the swelling away. My friends used to laugh but it's kinda fun and it works when I do it consistently.

2. Running (or run/walking in my case). I think it's a similar motion as the rebounder and something about the pounding of my feet on the ground or rebounder seems to help my lymphatic system perk up. Running is harder on my knees while the rebounder is gentle on joints and easier to pull out and do at home since I have young kids around. I ran and used the rebounder for one full summer and had minimal swelling despite heat and flying on a plane (which used to result in crazy huge swelling).

3. There is a dandelion juice that I bought online and it also helps, especially in the summer. I think there are lots of contraindications so don't try it without finding out if it can interact with anything else you may be experiencing or taking in terms of meds. Dandelion juice is a diuretic.

4. For my unique composition, the homeopathic supplement apis mellifica was the first thing that I ever tried that worked. There's a lot of controversy about homeopathy but I can say that these pellets worked for me. I had to start with 200cc pellets that I was only able to get from my naturopath. There are 30 cc that I use now that I can buy at health food stores. My ND told me that apis isn't the right homeopathic remedy for everyone and it really depends on things that I don't understand like how much heat vs dampness vs other stuff each person has in their body. Acupuncture also helps but I can't afford it regularly so I tend to do a couple of treatments if it's getting bad and/or in the summer. I find I don't really need the acupuncture or apis any more because the rebounder is the biggest help.

5. The healthier my lifestyle, the less swelling I experience. I eat pretty clean, organic as much as possible, and limit refined sugars and wheat. Sprouted grains and honey, maple syrup, and limited coconut sugar are my go-to baking ingredients now. I'm not super rigid about my diet but do notice that it impacts the swelling.

Anyway, this may nor may not be helpful to everyone else but thought I'd share. I remember how frustrated I felt when going for lymphatic drainage massages and wearing compression socks and feeling like they weren't really working. I still can't wear super tight/strappy/narrow heels and sandals but can fit into lots more nice shoes now than I could before. Take care and hope this helps someone out there!
Oh, yes, swimming helps. Just hanging out in deep water (or even the kiddie pool) seem to help a little. I read it has something to do with the pressure change. I used to scuba dive and really noticed a difference at greater depths.

And drinking lots of water! It flushes out the body and I notice a huge difference when I slack off and don't drink my usual 10-12 glasses per day. All for now.
A very old remedy will answer all your problems.
Write to me ***@****.
Niko
I have dealt with a constant swelling in my ankle and top of my foot for over ten years now. It is infuriating when you spend the time to go to the doctor and they can't tell you anything. I've basically given up on wearing cute sandals or open toed shoes because I am so embarrassed of the way my foot looks. I'm glad to know that I am not alone with this annoying unsightly problem with my foot.  
hi there, did the gluten free diet help? i have had a swollen left foot for the past year - you and i have the same symptoms and we are the same age :)
I am 73.  For the past few years after visiting Florida my left ankle would swell.  After a week back in upstate New York on Lake Erie it would go down.  I always thought----hot, humid, salt-water coastal Florida vs. cool, moderate-humidity, fresh-water Great Lakes.  Now stupidly I live in Florida and this swelling is much more.  Or it could be the difference between clear, tasty granite water in NY State vs. the cloudy limestone water here in Florida.  Thank you for this forum so I don't run to the doctor only to find out they don't know and I've spent money for nothing.  I'm gonna try the coriander remedy recommended above.
I am almost 60yrs old. I have Scoliosis since childhood, not very noticeable but has caused pain all my life in hips and legs. I quit smoking 2yrs ago, my own decision. My lungs always clear luckily. Then I developed a cough which continues even now 2ys later. Tried Antibiotics, mouthwashes/gargles, no change. Years ago ( aged 21 ) I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, 12 years later had Partial Thyroidectomy, brilliant no probs but take Thyroxine for life. I have had Cervical Cancer ( at 29 ) followed by other Gynae problems so had Total Hysterectomy. I now have IBS and 2yrs ago my body ached,so much I was always in tears, NO TREATMENT given, my cough continued then I gradually became very breathless on exertion and extremely exhausted. My GP sent me for a Chest Xray, found lumpy, swollen nodules in Hilar Sac on lung. Had an EBUS Bronchoscopy with Aspiration to check for Infection, Cancer, TB, Sarcoidosis. I have PROBABLE Sarcoidosis, not fully confirmed as yet. My Dad had Lupus and my sister was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis 15 mths ago. I have been on Prednisolone for approx 9 years ( as diagnosed back then with Polymyalgia Rhuematica ) Then last year I was told it was not PMR but that it was Fibromyalgia, About 12 mths or so ago, my right toes, foot and ankle became so painful and swollen and this continued up my leg to my thigh. I was measured for stockings, given Diuretics, did not work. So, had Heart scan, Lymphatics Scan, CT Scan, dozens of Blood Tests including the ACE one. Chest Xray, Doppler Scans, etc, etc. I then discovered my " normal Thyroid " was now borderline for Underactive ! I get fevers and sweats at night and I still have swollen foot/leg and started to fall over when my leg collapsed under me, three times this happened, developed severe, skull breaking headaches and ended up in hospital for tests. Told Prednisolone was poisoning me, not sure I believe this though as still on them and no bad effects.So, I have been on bed rest for 2 weeks,right leg still swollen (with Pitting Oedema ), I am fatigued, but have insomnia too, but can't sleep. I have lower lumbar spine pain, hip pain, pain up spine and across shoulders, stiff neck, these symptoms I have had most of my life on and off but no diagnosis. My thoughts ? maybe due to my Lumbar spine being compromised. I am finally, waiting to see a Rhuematologist ( ? RA ). Now, I have written all of the above, not to confuse you but to explain that IF I do have Sarcoidosis, this mimics all other diseases and throws up so many symptoms relating to the Auto Immune System and so makes a diagnosis extremely difficult for the Medics. I am under the regular care of a Chest Specialist, Eye Specialist, ENT,and due another Heart Scan & Bone Density Scan. I am putting on unexplained weight not what I need. All this because of a cough and a painful, swollen right leg ! I can't bear water splashing my leg or back this is too excruciatingly painful, Foot has some numbness and tingling too., Can't shower or bathe in hot or warm water, so a cold bath is just about bearable. I would love your thoughts..  
Thank you everyone for your comments. My boyfriend just started experiencing this issue three weeks ago, and we too have gotten the run-around on what it might be and how to fix it. Nothing has worked. Can anyone give me info on those stockings that you were talking about? I'm also going to suggest to him that we try going gluten-free for a while to see if that helps. We're so disappointed that this issue is ruining our summer. :(
Hi all,
I too am having this same problem in my left foot/ankle. I think it started after several foot/ankle injuries and has just got worse. The heat makes the top of my foot unbearably swollen, so summer is miserable. After sitting in car for 10 days for a long road trip two summers ago, my foot swelled for an entire month.
I've never really pursued medical treatment because I just figured I'd be given compression socks and told I just need to live with it, but I've changed my mind and made an appointment. It's been really swollen for a week and now it's reddish so I'm worried I am developing cellulitus.

I'm going to try and follow some of the above advice and really pay attention to what affects it. I can tell you that the only thing I've found that really helped me was acupuncture. Last summer, during the hottest part of the summer, my acupuncturist started treating me for my foot as well as other things, and my foot was the most normal it's been for years. It looked the same as my good foot! I just scheduled myself an appointment to start that again next week and cross my fingers I get the same result.
How did they diagnose lymphedema and rule out other items? Was this diagnosed by your regular doctor/internist or a specialist? I have the same symptons. They first suspected a pulmonary blood clot as a travel frequently and my d-dimer came back indicating that possibility. After being unable to locate a clot, they said I had artheritis and degenration of the bones?!?!?!? THIS SEEMED STRANGE TO SUDDENLY APPEAR. Now a week later, I all of a sudden have slightly elevated uric acid and they suspect gout. But they haven't prescribed medicine. I don't think they (the ER or my internist) really know what this is. Meanwhile the swelling persists beyon my knee on my right side. No icing, elevation, heat or diuretic works. Best result was when I took a steroid for 5 days.
a high level of Selenium will help correct your condition I-Selenomethionine the leading authority on that is Dr. Gerhard Schrauzer
It sounds like a symptom of candida overgrowth to me, more than 70% of people living in the western world and eating a diet full of processed junk, have an overgrowth of candida, but don't even know it. People have had it so long they think the symptoms are the normal way to feel.
The list of symptoms is endless and sometimes can be confused with thyroid issues. So many of you have had tests for this and that and all have come back clear but for so many of you to be reporting the same issue and none of you finding an answer, this leads me to think it must be something more commonplace. Most of you probably consume a fairly processed diet, and if you think you eat a healthy diet, and you still buy your food in a supermarket then you need to look again at what a healthy diet is.
The lady who said about the gluten was spot on but nobody seemed to want to accept that as a possible solution, because it's easier to have a rare illness than change your diet and lifestyle. Cut out the gluten, cut out the sugar, try to eat real food, not food that has come from a packet or box, and I'm fairly certain that within a couple of weeks you will start to notice a significant decrease in symptoms and will start to feel much better. You will be getting rid of symptoms you probably didn't even know you were suffering from.
If you don't agree with me just google body swelling and candida and read for yourself.
I hope this helps some of you, all of you, good luck.
Could it be lymphedema? Sorry I don't know enough about your problem but hope you get some relief soon. Have you try lymph massage?
This post has been going on for years now but I can't tell you how happy I am to have found it today. I have never ever met another person suffering with the same issue as me.

My right foot and ankle has been swollen for the past 5 years. Same as everyone, saw tons of doctors, same results. Finally after 3.5 years lymphedema was brought up (why does it take so long??). As a young female (22) this was pretty devastating to hear that I would just 'have to live with it' as many of you have also been told.

I've felt like no one really has understood until now. It's definitely not the worst problem to have, far from it in fact, but it is still uncomfortable, painful at times and holds me back from some things.

I have always tried to stay strong about it and be positive, but some days I crumble and cry because all I want to do is go to the beach on a hot day and not have my foot feel like it's about to explode. Or be able to wear pretty strappy sandles or heals. Boots are my only option these days as the swelling never ever goes down (it is slightly smaller in the morning/on a cold day but always noticeable). I'm sick of people looking at my foot or asking what happened to me. I feel like a bit of a freak to be honest.

But as I said, I know that this is NOTHING compared to what so many other people live with so I have to keep reminding myself of that and be thankful that the rest of my body is healthy.

I'm quite interested in how the gluten free diet has helped people?? Could you please let me know?

I am definitely wanting to change my diet to more organic, natural, non-processed foods. Even if it doesn't heal my foot, I'm sure I'll feel better and more positive.

Anyway, ultimately I am glad to have found this post and to hear from others in the same boat. If anyone lives in Sydney, we should start a support group ha!! But seriously...

Ellie :)
Did you try the gluten free diet? Considering giving it a go. :)
I am wondering what kind of Cleanse diet you did?
Wondering what kind of cleanse diet you did?
Same issue...my left foot and ankle painfully swelled for no real reason - no injuries, generally healthy, active (workout and walk 5 miles every day).  I had ultrasounds, visited several doctors and took a variety of meds...nothing worked to alleviate my symptoms.  Two years ago, I decided to give up gluten in an effort to curb some tummy issues.  Low and behold, the swelling in my foot started to go away as well.  I then took my diet a step further and eliminated gluten, soy, dairy and sugar.  I've never felt better.  I'm not perfect...and I slip every once in a while...and boy do I know it...the swelling comes right back along with rashes and stomach discomfort.  If you've tried it all...I would strongly suggest making changes to your diet...go slow, making small changes until you can work up to a diet of organic, Non GMO, gluten-free foods.  Oh...and I also make sure to drink tons of "good" water!
Would you please be kind enough to share; how was it detected I mean to say what tests were carried out to detect lymphedema, as my wife is also suffering with swollen foot (right foot). all her tests have reported normal. even a surgeon has ruled out any venous problem.
I’m much older than most here—59 when this began—2 ½ years ago. Only my right foot is swollen, sometimes very badly; sometimes less so, but ugly nonetheless.
I went to 3 MDs; 2 podiatrists, and have asked 2 orthopaedists, had x-rays, painful alcohol injections, wrapped it, iced it, heated it, worn a "boot."  Ruled out clots, vein issues, and only POSSIBLY had a hairline fracture. As is usual, I’m “perfect on paper.” At my work, where I sporadically have to walk a lot, the floors are all concrete. I wonder if that has not stressed my foot, exacerbating the fact that in the past I did sprain my foot 2 or 3 times.
So, I’m applying my favorite diagnostic:  After all this time, since it hasn’t worsened, and I have a very little pain only when I've walked too much, my foot hasn’t fallen off, and I’m not dead, this might just be denial, but I’m pretty sure this must be something just irritating, but benign.
Thoughts?
Hi all.... Just found this thread and thought you might find this info helpful.

I'm still doing all the same above tests, as my problems - all of the same symptoms as above - began suddenly just a few weeks ago, and have yet to get a diagnosis.

I bought a Power Plate machine from Amazon (the stand up one which only cost £150.00), a few years ago, whilst I was living in the UK, before moving to Australia, which I luckily brought with me and have found that if I use the 2nd level program and do squats at the same time (gentle ones to start with, as my foot is so swollen so I can barely bend it at first), for 10 minutes, the swelling in both the leg and ankle goes down, the pain subsides and my foot feels normal again.

The max time on these machines is up to 20 mins per day, so I only do 10 minutes in order to "save" the other 10 if need be.

Obviously it is only a temp fix, but it works (for me).

I don't have the info on which amazon shop I got it from, and the name on the machine just says Crazy Fit Massage. I've seen power plates here and the price is astronomical...nowhere near the price I paid for mine, but I believe some gyms have these machines, which you could always test out first and if it works for you, try and get one...or at least the use of one.

I'll repost here if (and when) I get my diagnosis.

58 F good weight (5 pounds over what I should be), all blood workups come back fine.  Right ankle began swelling about 1 year ago. No pain.  Went down somewhat with proper diet, motion/exercise.  Still there.  So is some itching on legs/thighs where small spider veins started about 10 years back.  Seems to bruise easily there as well.  Can see shadows of larger veins (not bulging) in calves, as well as one alongside of spider veins.  I have to head this off.  It is a sign of venous insufficiency and poor circulation at the very least. Anything vascular is a red flag for stroke, clots and/or heart problems later.  I've been doing my research and aside from laser to help the veins, am upping the degree I walk, minimizing gluten and maximizing water intake.  Here is something else I found on the mnwelldir . org site:  ( I will look into use of these more completely, but I did want to share with you )

Bromelain is a form of proteolytic enzyme obtained from the stems of the pineapple plant. Bromelain has been shown to be beneficial in breaking down arteriosclerotic plaques as well as decreasing vasoconstriction of the coronary arteries. Bromelain also decreases the risk of blood clots (reducing platelet aggregation) which cause heart attacks and strokes. It has also been shown to break down the formation of fibrin in the blood that could be a cause of varicose veins.

Butcher’s Broom is widely used in Europe today for disorders of the venous system, such as venous fragility and varicose veins.

From Web MD:

A Polish study tested an oral dose of 75 mg of the entire butcher’s broom plant extract showing improvement in diabetic retinopathy (Archimowicz-Cyrylowska et al., 1996). The same study showed the extract inactive for hypocholesteremic activity and active in lowering triglycerides. In a double-blind placebo-controlled crossover trial, the effectiveness and tolerability of a venotropic drug (RAES) were evaluated in 40 patients (30 female, 10 male), between the ages of 28 and 74 years, suffering from chronic phlebopathy (venous insufficiency) of the lower limbs. Each RAES capsule dose contained 16.5 mg butcher’s broom extract (presumably root) combined with 75 mg hesperidin and 50 mg ascorbic acid. There were two treatment periods of 2 months duration with an interim period of 15 days for wash-out. The daily dosage was 2 capsules, 3 times daily. The authors reported an overall trend toward improvement in the treatment group. Symptoms (e.g., edema, itching, paresthesias, leg heaviness, and cramps) and plethysmographic parameters improved immediately and significantly with the RAES treatment compared to placebo. (A plethysmograph is a device for finding variations in size due to vascular changes.) No side effects were reported (Cappelli et al., 1988).

From another source (Viable Herbal Solutions 888-206-5376 ) we get :

Contemporary Herbals refer to Butcher’s broom to support venous circulatory disorders (heavy legs) as well as hemorrhoidal ailments. Practitioners also recommend Butcher’s broom for supporting women experiencing menstrual problems and troubles associated with the use of estrogen and pregnancy related cramps.

Butcher’s broom is generally considered a safe herb when taken as a diuretic, though it may cause blood pressure to rise. Those under treatment for hypertension should use this herb under the supervision of a competent health care professional. Those currently taking anticoagulation medications should also check with their physician or health care provider before taking Butcher’s broom to avoid problems.

Butcher’s broom is also an anti-inflammatory, containing rutin that strengthens capillary walls, tightens veins, and pulls iron from your blood.
Update.  This is what my experiment will consist of, one product at a time. at 50 plus $, it sure beats invasive (laser or other) or like the last med appointment... a verdict of nothing to do about it... Yet.  It's the yet that doesn't appeal if I can prevent or reverse damage caused by my faulty circulatory system!  So I have ordered:

Life Extension - European Leg Solution Featuring Certified Diosmin 95
Nature's Way Butcher's Broom Root Capsules, 100-Count
Solaray Circulegs Horse Chestnut Special Formula Capsules, 200mg

I am out of the US, so this must come by family member visiting, thus the varieties ordered all at once.  I won't take all at once.  I will report back in here, probably by September of 2016, with the final verdict on each.  My eyes are blurry from so much computer research... So off I go... Hope others benefit from my sharing.
I also suffer from the left leg & foot swelling. I have, like a lot of the above people, tried many different medical testings and treatments to no avail.
In my research I came across an article suggesting low levels of magnesium could be the problem. I began taking magnesium citrate (best form to be used in the body quicker). The swelling has slowly begun to go down and no more pain. My leg and foot swelling is half of what it used to be in just a months time which is such a huge relief. I have suffered with this for about 4 years now and this is the first thing that has worked outside of prednisone.
Those that have tried water pills to help can use a natural form for this. Watermelon, strawberries and broccoli all help eliminate water naturally.
I am going to try the Bromelain suggested by someone above.
Lecithin is also great for keeping arteries and veins clear and healthy.
In my experience with the foot swelling  : Stay away from Dough > Pizza, doughnuts, breads, pastas, cookies, cereal and anything else with grain in it.  I firmly believe the PESTICIDES used on the grain is doing this to us. The poison is in us. I've not figured how to remove it.....yet. Exercise drives it further into our system, making it way worse than if we don't exercise. ALSO : Stay away from tomato sauces, ham, bacon, canned beans, other canned commercial foods.
You CAN EAT : Fresh fruits and vegetables, chicken (plain), fish...that's it.
I have 20 years into this study. I have slightly high blood pressure, and I am slightly obese. I am Healthy. No headaches, no tremors, no seizures. No medications of any kind. I used to exercise daily until I ripped a tendon and got a shin splint. As long as I stay with the above mentioned intake, there is NO SWELLING. Try It.