unexplained left foot/ankle swelling
I am 25 years old and very healthy. I am not overweight, I work out regularly, eat healthy, don't smoke. For the past 3 months I have been having severe swelling in my left foot and ankle. At times the swelling continues into my calf and causes a discomfort. I first noticed the swelling after I got home from the gym one evening. I took my shoe off and my foot was huge for no reason. I have not had any injuries, insect bites or infections. The first doctor I went to took x-rays which came back normal and ran a CBC which also came back completely normal. He told me I would just have to live with the swelling and wrote a Rx for Lasik PRN to help. The Lasik does help when I take it but as soon as I stop taking it the swelling comes right back. I've been told not to take it long term as it can effect important vitamin levels. I wasn't ready to just treat the symptoms and live with it so I went to an Internist who took me off birth control pills thinking it could be hormones but the swelling continued. She then sent me for a venous doppler test which also came back normal. She is sending me for an untrasound of the heart tomorrow. If the heart tests come back normal what else could be causing this unexplained swelling? It is only in the left foot/ankle and pitts for about 30 seconds when pushed on. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a diasnosis? I am afraid that I'm at the end of the road with tests and the doctors can't seem to figure out what is causing this swelling in a young, healthy person.

This discussion is related to Unexplained Swelling of Left Foot/Ankle.
I have the same issue with my left foot only and have been to 6 doctors over the past 8 months. After reviewing this post last night I found this site and tried Coliander seeds boiled in water as directed (two times a day) from this site to reduce swelling and this evening the swelling of my left foot is completely gone! Please research Coliander seeds on the net or YouTube. It will be an added part of my daily routine every day from now on.

Here is the site I first heard of this remedy:
http://www.homeveda.com/women-health/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-edema.html
Your article was posted a few years ago and i'm not sure you will see this but I have the same exact problem. I am 47 and about 4 years ago my foot started swelling (mainly my left foot). I have been to every Dr. under the sun, orthopedist, cardiologist, allergist, gyno, etc. and had every test you can think of but no one can tell me why my foot is swollen. It's worse in the summer when it's hot or humid out. In the winter the swelling is minimal! If I go near the ocean, like on a vacation, POOF! My foot is huge! If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sick of explaining why my foot is big all the time and it would be nice to wear cute sandals in the summer! Right now it's really swollen and the top of my ankle hurts.
my son is experiencing this as well hes almost 18 has the left foot only swelling no ankle blows up where he cant put a shoe on stays that way sometimes for extended period of time same xrays sonogram all dopler test all come back perfect this week to vascular dr for another test since no one else has any idea, obviously its not so uncommon as the drs make you think any advice welcome what to try next
Am 24 yrs..with same problem, Take heart dear ones it could be worse..this condition is not life threatening you learn to live a fulfiling life with it..incase you havent yet confirmed that what you hve is lyphedema ask your doctor to carry out a lyphoscitigraphy study on your foot..it confirms it..

thank you all for your comments. I have just recently researched again on this condition I have been having for about 6 years (the swelling started in my left foot when I was 32 for no apparent reason). I had also seen many doctors and different specialists in 2 countries but none of them has ever mentioned lymphedema and they pretty much just told me to live with it as all the tests came back normal. The swelling in my left foot has become more uncomfortable lately and my both feet feel really tired even though I don't walk much. Like many of you I am very conscious of what I eat, and try to buy organics as much as possible. I do yoga and other gentle exercises.
I will go to see a doctor again and ask to do the test for lymphedema. thank you for bringing this up. I am also considering trying a different diet that could perhaps help the issue.
thank you for all the advices.
Hey everyone,

I've read most of the stories on here and can definitely relate to the frustration, esp. since it's just going on in ONE foot..

I believe my swelling resulted from coming down hard on my right ankle. I was so thankful I didn't break anything and the only symptom at the time that I had was pain (obviously lol) from coming down on my foot, no swelling. The pain went went away and my foot seemed fine.

THEN, I want to say about a week or so later I woke up one morning and my foot and back of knee were in extreme pain. My foot was clearly swollen, (but not behind my knee). I could not put the slightest pressure on it because it hurt so bad. Within a week the pain cleared, *thankfully*, but the swelling has never subsided.

It starts to feel really pressurized when standing on it for too long, and it gets really hot, and maybe a little more swollen b/c of how inflamed it gets.

I've had a venous Doppler, MRI, and x-ray done that came back all clear. (Well, MRI did have a ganglion cyst near my big toe that I was unaware of since my foot is swollen but Dr didn't seem to think that was the issue). I've had 2 GP's, seen 2 podiatrists, and 2 vascular surgeons. I had physical therapy recently and my PT was thinking it may have been due to nerve damage so he gave me some exercises to do at home to get the "nerves sliding" again if that were the issue. No improvement seen. :(

So my next step it sounds like my GP is saying is the lymphatic therapy, though I must say I am a bit nervous/skeptical that that will help b/c my swelling was not a gradual onset and it has never pitted, though the skin itself is not hard (Did/does anyone's foot not pit?) and from what I've read there's initially pitting with lymphedema so I don't know... Also never had any swelling/pain issues with the foot prior.  Honestly at this point I would just be happy with a diagnosis, even if it is lymphedema! :( It is driving me BONKERS not knowing what is causing it.

On the upside I am thankful it has not gotten worse swelling wise but the burning and pressurized discomfort is there daily. I keep hoping to have an answer soon...

Thanks for reading.
I just woke up in the middle of the morning this morning with my ankle hurting.  As the day is progressing on, my ankle is getting more swollen
Have you received any more light on this subject? You sound exactly like me
Have you received any update on what is going on with you? You sound exactly like me
My right foot has been swollen since November, 1999. I've been to so many doctors, orthopedic surgeons, have had numerous tests done, and the only thing I've been told is that I may have injured my foot so long ago and that the fracture was so tiny it didn't show up on either the MRI or the X-ray. I have even been to one of the United States' mosts prestigious hospitals. Since 1999, I have not been able to wear a shoe on my right foot. To this day, nobody knows why it suddenly swelled and has remained that way. I do notice that eating salty foods causes it to swell more, so I limit my salt intake, but I've had to purchase shoes with extremely high insteps and I have had to take my right shoe off all the time, even when driving, because if I don't, I feel as if somebody has wrapped rubber bands around it. I've learned to live with the problem, because I have no other choice.
I just want to add another story to this collection.  I live in Canada but was living in France when my left foot swelled up.  It started a week before my 47th birthday and after 15 months hasn't changed a bit. I had blood work, X-rays and an MRI done in France and the same here and all check out ok. My swelling isn't as bad as some of you, I can still wear regular shoes and I don't have pitting (but as a man its not such a big deal about how I look in shoes). Nothing seems to affect it, I can drink alcohol and eat salty food and it remains unchanged. I play tennis and for the most part I'm ok.  I have learned to live with it.  I've tried acupuncture but to no avail. I usually only notice it at night where I can feel either tingling, numbness, hot, or cold sensations in either the top, bottom or side of my left foot or up the back of my calf.
Hi everyone,

I read these comments for over a year having a similar problem with my left foot started swelling.  

I am 45 years old and very active.  I trained and competed in a 100km charity walk when I 1st notice both my legs swelling.  I could do 30km without any issues, but longer distances it became an issue.  I kept running every day - which made it easier.  My work is sale with lots of sitting in a car or behind a desk.  I also travel a lot, and my 'flying socks' became a must.

Post the walk I found that my left ankle kept swelling up and a muscle in my calf was always sore.  At the end of a day I could not get my foot into a shoe.  Hot days was worse.
I researched everything and saw doctors and did every possible test without any solution.   My gynecologist told me I have weakened veins and just have to live with it.
I am young and don't want to live with it.

I came across this blog and was surprised how many young & active people suffer the same issue.
In Nov 2014 I decided to cut out most gluten and alcohol to see if this can be the issue.  My condition improve within 2 weeks, but was not sure if it is the wine or gluten.  I am a scientist and one should try one thing at a time - now I need to look at if this is alcohol related or wine.

When I eat gluten - I feel very quickly a tingle in my left foot.  Almost like my feet is burning.   I hate bread at the end of December and my feet started to swell up - it felt like my feet were balloons (swelling even under my feet).  The wine contributed minimally to the condition apart from white wine.  I think sugars might be another issue, but have not investigated this option.

I would suggest to everyone...listen to your body.  Watch your diet and cut products out for a period of time to see if this can be one of the problems.

It is Feb and hot - my legs are not swelling apart from when I have some gluten.  

I hope this helps!!
Bobmz
Have any of you connected your foot and ankle swelling to a flu vaccine, possible reaction?

I received a flu vaccine in Oct. of 2014, in Dec. of 2014, I had the flu, fever, chills etc.  In Jan. I am experiencing severe hip pain and walking funny ( a gait change) because of it.  Sharp eye pain and neck pain occasionally.  The last week I noticed my left foot and ankle swelling, the right one less so, but slightly swollen.

I have been researching flu complications because of the current discussion on the measles vaccine.  However one post talked about the complications from flu vaccines, and a lot of these side effects were listed!  
If so, it means that there is a toxin in your body that needed to be
eliminated.

I am taking some things from the health food store that are said to help detox a system.  and, eating organic whole fresh fruits and veg. to make sure there are no other toxins going into my body.  In addition field fed meat if I have it.

I have had a swollen left ankle/calf for 2 years it initially swelled up on holiday after a 9 hour flight and has never went down since there is no pain and i do not know whether to be worried or not anyone got any ideas on what i should do? Thanks
Hi,I'm a 26 year old male.Like some of you,i keep fit and exercise regularly.I woke up to a swollen left foot.Its been like this for 3 weeks now.went to all the specialist doctors,performed xrays,ultrasounds,blood tests but everything came back normal.The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me.The foot started with a sting on the top,but later swelled on the outer.It was slightly painful but gradually faded,but the swell remained.I find its better in the morning when i wake up,but progressively swells as the day goes by,more so on a warm day.I'll try the gluten free diet as suggested and let you know.Lets all work together to find a cure.
Okay, y'all are a whole lot younger than me (I am 72 and very healthy).  This past summer in early August (2014) I switched from Azor to a combination of amlodipine (10mg) and losartan (100mg) for blood pressure (to save money).  On August 30th I returned from an afternoon family reunion.  Both ankles and lower legs were very swollen and rather painful.  I immediately went to Google and found out that it might be the amlodipine that was causing the swelling.  I saw my GP on the following Tuesday and he lowered my amlodipine to 5mg.  That fixed the swelling until a little more than a month ago.  Then I started noticing the left ankle swelling again and a tightening feeling in the inside of my calf).  It was happening on and off, nothing regular.  I mentioned it to my doctor the beginning of March asking why in just one ankle.  He said "ah, well, the human body is just unpredictable."  I let it go because it wasn't bothering me that much.  Now in the past week or so, it is bothering me to the point where it is very uncomfortable to walk more than a block or two.  

I am not to most active person in the world but I hate not being comfortable enough to do a lot of walking.  I am about ten pounds overweight but except for a little bit of arthritis in my right knee and shoulder am in pretty good shape.

Now thanks to y'all, I think I think I know what is going on and will definitely research lymphedema and talk to my doctor about it.  I will try the compression stockings.  Wearing them won't bother me.  I almost never wear shorts and absolutely never wear heels.  (At my age, my being comfortable doesn't include wearing any shoes having heels higher than about one inch.)

I LOVE GOOGLE!!!!

i am 50 yrs old now in 2015.I do not have high blood pressure or diabetes.i am over weight but had been yrs prior to my left foot swelling.I had five children and had some swelling in bothe ankle then some.
  In 2007 i had a hysterectomy and was given an epidural(never had one before).During and after my recovery time my left ankle started swelling.Whe i mentioned it to my doctor he said it was a coinsidence.The swelling didn't go down overnight.It did this everyday for 1 year.Then it was once in a while except in the heat.i have had a full thyroid panel done and doppler on that leg Knee to ankle and later groin to knee.
  None of my doctors seems to know why it happens.Lymphedema was never mentioned but after reading this i doubt it's that either.
  I hope someone figures this out soon.
So...I just want to get this right. You say you "will not give in to surgery or medicine", one of which may actually help you. But you have no problem getting surgery for breast implants and a tummy tuck???
I also have swelling in my left foot and ankle.  This has been going on for almost 14 years.  I have had a lot tests, and like so many of you, the doctors are not certain why.  I'm 55 and relatively heathy.  No high blood pressure and no heart issues.  I don't get the exercise I know I should get, and I work in an office where I sit most of the day.  
My leg swells much more during the hot, humid summer months.  The water pills did not work, and there was nothing else the doctors could think of to try to help me.  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned in all of these posts, is my father and my paternal grandmother also had this "condition ."  I always thought it was hereditary, but it may not be.  Does anyone else have a family member with the same problem?  I am very self-conscious of my feet, and find myself looking at other people to see if they have the same problem.
I really am grateful that I found this, it makes me feel like I'm not a freak and not the only one with this problem.
Hi all,

I've had swelling and tingling in my left foot for almost 10 years. I'm 41 now and it started when I was 32. I got a bunch of mosquito bites on my feet and the condition has existed since. My left foot and ankle used to swell up so badly that I was super embarrased and it felt think, heavy, and painful. My left foot and ankle can still get pretty bad and I also experience it a little bit in my right foot once in a while. It gets aggravated with heat, sitting, and standing. Doctors said it's probably due to a sluggish lymphatic system. Based on consultations with a naturopath and traditional Chinese medicine doctor a few years ago, here are some things tha help me. Of course, I'm not saying that this will work for everyone and I'm not a doctor so this is really just stuff that I've tried that seems to help.

1. Rebounder! I find that starting my day with bouncing on a mini trampoline for even 10-15 minutes helps my lymphatic system work better. In the summer, if I do it a few times throughout the day while listening to 2 or 3 songs, it makes even more difference. Google the benefits of rebounding if you're interested. I feel like it's a healthy thing to do even if it doesn't take all the swelling away. My friends used to laugh but it's kinda fun and it works when I do it consistently.

2. Running (or run/walking in my case). I think it's a similar motion as the rebounder and something about the pounding of my feet on the ground or rebounder seems to help my lymphatic system perk up. Running is harder on my knees while the rebounder is gentle on joints and easier to pull out and do at home since I have young kids around. I ran and used the rebounder for one full summer and had minimal swelling despite heat and flying on a plane (which used to result in crazy huge swelling).

3. There is a dandelion juice that I bought online and it also helps, especially in the summer. I think there are lots of contraindications so don't try it without finding out if it can interact with anything else you may be experiencing or taking in terms of meds. Dandelion juice is a diuretic.

4. For my unique composition, the homeopathic supplement apis mellifica was the first thing that I ever tried that worked. There's a lot of controversy about homeopathy but I can say that these pellets worked for me. I had to start with 200cc pellets that I was only able to get from my naturopath. There are 30 cc that I use now that I can buy at health food stores. My ND told me that apis isn't the right homeopathic remedy for everyone and it really depends on things that I don't understand like how much heat vs dampness vs other stuff each person has in their body. Acupuncture also helps but I can't afford it regularly so I tend to do a couple of treatments if it's getting bad and/or in the summer. I find I don't really need the acupuncture or apis any more because the rebounder is the biggest help.

5. The healthier my lifestyle, the less swelling I experience. I eat pretty clean, organic as much as possible, and limit refined sugars and wheat. Sprouted grains and honey, maple syrup, and limited coconut sugar are my go-to baking ingredients now. I'm not super rigid about my diet but do notice that it impacts the swelling.

Anyway, this may nor may not be helpful to everyone else but thought I'd share. I remember how frustrated I felt when going for lymphatic drainage massages and wearing compression socks and feeling like they weren't really working. I still can't wear super tight/strappy/narrow heels and sandals but can fit into lots more nice shoes now than I could before. Take care and hope this helps someone out there!
Oh, yes, swimming helps. Just hanging out in deep water (or even the kiddie pool) seem to help a little. I read it has something to do with the pressure change. I used to scuba dive and really noticed a difference at greater depths.

And drinking lots of water! It flushes out the body and I notice a huge difference when I slack off and don't drink my usual 10-12 glasses per day. All for now.
A very old remedy will answer all your problems.
Write to me ***@****.
Niko
I have dealt with a constant swelling in my ankle and top of my foot for over ten years now. It is infuriating when you spend the time to go to the doctor and they can't tell you anything. I've basically given up on wearing cute sandals or open toed shoes because I am so embarrassed of the way my foot looks. I'm glad to know that I am not alone with this annoying unsightly problem with my foot.  
hi there, did the gluten free diet help? i have had a swollen left foot for the past year - you and i have the same symptoms and we are the same age :)
I am 73.  For the past few years after visiting Florida my left ankle would swell.  After a week back in upstate New York on Lake Erie it would go down.  I always thought----hot, humid, salt-water coastal Florida vs. cool, moderate-humidity, fresh-water Great Lakes.  Now stupidly I live in Florida and this swelling is much more.  Or it could be the difference between clear, tasty granite water in NY State vs. the cloudy limestone water here in Florida.  Thank you for this forum so I don't run to the doctor only to find out they don't know and I've spent money for nothing.  I'm gonna try the coriander remedy recommended above.
I am almost 60yrs old. I have Scoliosis since childhood, not very noticeable but has caused pain all my life in hips and legs. I quit smoking 2yrs ago, my own decision. My lungs always clear luckily. Then I developed a cough which continues even now 2ys later. Tried Antibiotics, mouthwashes/gargles, no change. Years ago ( aged 21 ) I was diagnosed with Graves Disease, 12 years later had Partial Thyroidectomy, brilliant no probs but take Thyroxine for life. I have had Cervical Cancer ( at 29 ) followed by other Gynae problems so had Total Hysterectomy. I now have IBS and 2yrs ago my body ached,so much I was always in tears, NO TREATMENT given, my cough continued then I gradually became very breathless on exertion and extremely exhausted. My GP sent me for a Chest Xray, found lumpy, swollen nodules in Hilar Sac on lung. Had an EBUS Bronchoscopy with Aspiration to check for Infection, Cancer, TB, Sarcoidosis. I have PROBABLE Sarcoidosis, not fully confirmed as yet. My Dad had Lupus and my sister was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis 15 mths ago. I have been on Prednisolone for approx 9 years ( as diagnosed back then with Polymyalgia Rhuematica ) Then last year I was told it was not PMR but that it was Fibromyalgia, About 12 mths or so ago, my right toes, foot and ankle became so painful and swollen and this continued up my leg to my thigh. I was measured for stockings, given Diuretics, did not work. So, had Heart scan, Lymphatics Scan, CT Scan, dozens of Blood Tests including the ACE one. Chest Xray, Doppler Scans, etc, etc. I then discovered my " normal Thyroid " was now borderline for Underactive ! I get fevers and sweats at night and I still have swollen foot/leg and started to fall over when my leg collapsed under me, three times this happened, developed severe, skull breaking headaches and ended up in hospital for tests. Told Prednisolone was poisoning me, not sure I believe this though as still on them and no bad effects.So, I have been on bed rest for 2 weeks,right leg still swollen (with Pitting Oedema ), I am fatigued, but have insomnia too, but can't sleep. I have lower lumbar spine pain, hip pain, pain up spine and across shoulders, stiff neck, these symptoms I have had most of my life on and off but no diagnosis. My thoughts ? maybe due to my Lumbar spine being compromised. I am finally, waiting to see a Rhuematologist ( ? RA ). Now, I have written all of the above, not to confuse you but to explain that IF I do have Sarcoidosis, this mimics all other diseases and throws up so many symptoms relating to the Auto Immune System and so makes a diagnosis extremely difficult for the Medics. I am under the regular care of a Chest Specialist, Eye Specialist, ENT,and due another Heart Scan & Bone Density Scan. I am putting on unexplained weight not what I need. All this because of a cough and a painful, swollen right leg ! I can't bear water splashing my leg or back this is too excruciatingly painful, Foot has some numbness and tingling too., Can't shower or bathe in hot or warm water, so a cold bath is just about bearable. I would love your thoughts..  
Thank you everyone for your comments. My boyfriend just started experiencing this issue three weeks ago, and we too have gotten the run-around on what it might be and how to fix it. Nothing has worked. Can anyone give me info on those stockings that you were talking about? I'm also going to suggest to him that we try going gluten-free for a while to see if that helps. We're so disappointed that this issue is ruining our summer. :(
Hi all,
I too am having this same problem in my left foot/ankle. I think it started after several foot/ankle injuries and has just got worse. The heat makes the top of my foot unbearably swollen, so summer is miserable. After sitting in car for 10 days for a long road trip two summers ago, my foot swelled for an entire month.
I've never really pursued medical treatment because I just figured I'd be given compression socks and told I just need to live with it, but I've changed my mind and made an appointment. It's been really swollen for a week and now it's reddish so I'm worried I am developing cellulitus.

I'm going to try and follow some of the above advice and really pay attention to what affects it. I can tell you that the only thing I've found that really helped me was acupuncture. Last summer, during the hottest part of the summer, my acupuncturist started treating me for my foot as well as other things, and my foot was the most normal it's been for years. It looked the same as my good foot! I just scheduled myself an appointment to start that again next week and cross my fingers I get the same result.
How did they diagnose lymphedema and rule out other items? Was this diagnosed by your regular doctor/internist or a specialist? I have the same symptons. They first suspected a pulmonary blood clot as a travel frequently and my d-dimer came back indicating that possibility. After being unable to locate a clot, they said I had artheritis and degenration of the bones?!?!?!? THIS SEEMED STRANGE TO SUDDENLY APPEAR. Now a week later, I all of a sudden have slightly elevated uric acid and they suspect gout. But they haven't prescribed medicine. I don't think they (the ER or my internist) really know what this is. Meanwhile the swelling persists beyon my knee on my right side. No icing, elevation, heat or diuretic works. Best result was when I took a steroid for 5 days.
a high level of Selenium will help correct your condition I-Selenomethionine the leading authority on that is Dr. Gerhard Schrauzer
It sounds like a symptom of candida overgrowth to me, more than 70% of people living in the western world and eating a diet full of processed junk, have an overgrowth of candida, but don't even know it. People have had it so long they think the symptoms are the normal way to feel.
The list of symptoms is endless and sometimes can be confused with thyroid issues. So many of you have had tests for this and that and all have come back clear but for so many of you to be reporting the same issue and none of you finding an answer, this leads me to think it must be something more commonplace. Most of you probably consume a fairly processed diet, and if you think you eat a healthy diet, and you still buy your food in a supermarket then you need to look again at what a healthy diet is.
The lady who said about the gluten was spot on but nobody seemed to want to accept that as a possible solution, because it's easier to have a rare illness than change your diet and lifestyle. Cut out the gluten, cut out the sugar, try to eat real food, not food that has come from a packet or box, and I'm fairly certain that within a couple of weeks you will start to notice a significant decrease in symptoms and will start to feel much better. You will be getting rid of symptoms you probably didn't even know you were suffering from.
If you don't agree with me just google body swelling and candida and read for yourself.
I hope this helps some of you, all of you, good luck.
Could it be lymphedema? Sorry I don't know enough about your problem but hope you get some relief soon. Have you try lymph massage?
This post has been going on for years now but I can't tell you how happy I am to have found it today. I have never ever met another person suffering with the same issue as me.

My right foot and ankle has been swollen for the past 5 years. Same as everyone, saw tons of doctors, same results. Finally after 3.5 years lymphedema was brought up (why does it take so long??). As a young female (22) this was pretty devastating to hear that I would just 'have to live with it' as many of you have also been told.

I've felt like no one really has understood until now. It's definitely not the worst problem to have, far from it in fact, but it is still uncomfortable, painful at times and holds me back from some things.

I have always tried to stay strong about it and be positive, but some days I crumble and cry because all I want to do is go to the beach on a hot day and not have my foot feel like it's about to explode. Or be able to wear pretty strappy sandles or heals. Boots are my only option these days as the swelling never ever goes down (it is slightly smaller in the morning/on a cold day but always noticeable). I'm sick of people looking at my foot or asking what happened to me. I feel like a bit of a freak to be honest.

But as I said, I know that this is NOTHING compared to what so many other people live with so I have to keep reminding myself of that and be thankful that the rest of my body is healthy.

I'm quite interested in how the gluten free diet has helped people?? Could you please let me know?

I am definitely wanting to change my diet to more organic, natural, non-processed foods. Even if it doesn't heal my foot, I'm sure I'll feel better and more positive.

Anyway, ultimately I am glad to have found this post and to hear from others in the same boat. If anyone lives in Sydney, we should start a support group ha!! But seriously...

Ellie :)
Did you try the gluten free diet? Considering giving it a go. :)
I am wondering what kind of Cleanse diet you did?
Wondering what kind of cleanse diet you did?
Same issue...my left foot and ankle painfully swelled for no real reason - no injuries, generally healthy, active (workout and walk 5 miles every day).  I had ultrasounds, visited several doctors and took a variety of meds...nothing worked to alleviate my symptoms.  Two years ago, I decided to give up gluten in an effort to curb some tummy issues.  Low and behold, the swelling in my foot started to go away as well.  I then took my diet a step further and eliminated gluten, soy, dairy and sugar.  I've never felt better.  I'm not perfect...and I slip every once in a while...and boy do I know it...the swelling comes right back along with rashes and stomach discomfort.  If you've tried it all...I would strongly suggest making changes to your diet...go slow, making small changes until you can work up to a diet of organic, Non GMO, gluten-free foods.  Oh...and I also make sure to drink tons of "good" water!
Would you please be kind enough to share; how was it detected I mean to say what tests were carried out to detect lymphedema, as my wife is also suffering with swollen foot (right foot). all her tests have reported normal. even a surgeon has ruled out any venous problem.
I’m much older than most here—59 when this began—2 ½ years ago. Only my right foot is swollen, sometimes very badly; sometimes less so, but ugly nonetheless.
I went to 3 MDs; 2 podiatrists, and have asked 2 orthopaedists, had x-rays, painful alcohol injections, wrapped it, iced it, heated it, worn a "boot."  Ruled out clots, vein issues, and only POSSIBLY had a hairline fracture. As is usual, I’m “perfect on paper.” At my work, where I sporadically have to walk a lot, the floors are all concrete. I wonder if that has not stressed my foot, exacerbating the fact that in the past I did sprain my foot 2 or 3 times.
So, I’m applying my favorite diagnostic:  After all this time, since it hasn’t worsened, and I have a very little pain only when I've walked too much, my foot hasn’t fallen off, and I’m not dead, this might just be denial, but I’m pretty sure this must be something just irritating, but benign.
Thoughts?
Hi all.... Just found this thread and thought you might find this info helpful.

I'm still doing all the same above tests, as my problems - all of the same symptoms as above - began suddenly just a few weeks ago, and have yet to get a diagnosis.

I bought a Power Plate machine from Amazon (the stand up one which only cost £150.00), a few years ago, whilst I was living in the UK, before moving to Australia, which I luckily brought with me and have found that if I use the 2nd level program and do squats at the same time (gentle ones to start with, as my foot is so swollen so I can barely bend it at first), for 10 minutes, the swelling in both the leg and ankle goes down, the pain subsides and my foot feels normal again.

The max time on these machines is up to 20 mins per day, so I only do 10 minutes in order to "save" the other 10 if need be.

Obviously it is only a temp fix, but it works (for me).

I don't have the info on which amazon shop I got it from, and the name on the machine just says Crazy Fit Massage. I've seen power plates here and the price is astronomical...nowhere near the price I paid for mine, but I believe some gyms have these machines, which you could always test out first and if it works for you, try and get one...or at least the use of one.

I'll repost here if (and when) I get my diagnosis.

58 F good weight (5 pounds over what I should be), all blood workups come back fine.  Right ankle began swelling about 1 year ago. No pain.  Went down somewhat with proper diet, motion/exercise.  Still there.  So is some itching on legs/thighs where small spider veins started about 10 years back.  Seems to bruise easily there as well.  Can see shadows of larger veins (not bulging) in calves, as well as one alongside of spider veins.  I have to head this off.  It is a sign of venous insufficiency and poor circulation at the very least. Anything vascular is a red flag for stroke, clots and/or heart problems later.  I've been doing my research and aside from laser to help the veins, am upping the degree I walk, minimizing gluten and maximizing water intake.  Here is something else I found on the mnwelldir . org site:  ( I will look into use of these more completely, but I did want to share with you )

Bromelain is a form of proteolytic enzyme obtained from the stems of the pineapple plant. Bromelain has been shown to be beneficial in breaking down arteriosclerotic plaques as well as decreasing vasoconstriction of the coronary arteries. Bromelain also decreases the risk of blood clots (reducing platelet aggregation) which cause heart attacks and strokes. It has also been shown to break down the formation of fibrin in the blood that could be a cause of varicose veins.

Butcher’s Broom is widely used in Europe today for disorders of the venous system, such as venous fragility and varicose veins.

From Web MD:

A Polish study tested an oral dose of 75 mg of the entire butcher’s broom plant extract showing improvement in diabetic retinopathy (Archimowicz-Cyrylowska et al., 1996). The same study showed the extract inactive for hypocholesteremic activity and active in lowering triglycerides. In a double-blind placebo-controlled crossover trial, the effectiveness and tolerability of a venotropic drug (RAES) were evaluated in 40 patients (30 female, 10 male), between the ages of 28 and 74 years, suffering from chronic phlebopathy (venous insufficiency) of the lower limbs. Each RAES capsule dose contained 16.5 mg butcher’s broom extract (presumably root) combined with 75 mg hesperidin and 50 mg ascorbic acid. There were two treatment periods of 2 months duration with an interim period of 15 days for wash-out. The daily dosage was 2 capsules, 3 times daily. The authors reported an overall trend toward improvement in the treatment group. Symptoms (e.g., edema, itching, paresthesias, leg heaviness, and cramps) and plethysmographic parameters improved immediately and significantly with the RAES treatment compared to placebo. (A plethysmograph is a device for finding variations in size due to vascular changes.) No side effects were reported (Cappelli et al., 1988).

From another source (Viable Herbal Solutions 888-206-5376 ) we get :

Contemporary Herbals refer to Butcher’s broom to support venous circulatory disorders (heavy legs) as well as hemorrhoidal ailments. Practitioners also recommend Butcher’s broom for supporting women experiencing menstrual problems and troubles associated with the use of estrogen and pregnancy related cramps.

Butcher’s broom is generally considered a safe herb when taken as a diuretic, though it may cause blood pressure to rise. Those under treatment for hypertension should use this herb under the supervision of a competent health care professional. Those currently taking anticoagulation medications should also check with their physician or health care provider before taking Butcher’s broom to avoid problems.

Butcher’s broom is also an anti-inflammatory, containing rutin that strengthens capillary walls, tightens veins, and pulls iron from your blood.
Update.  This is what my experiment will consist of, one product at a time. at 50 plus $, it sure beats invasive (laser or other) or like the last med appointment... a verdict of nothing to do about it... Yet.  It's the yet that doesn't appeal if I can prevent or reverse damage caused by my faulty circulatory system!  So I have ordered:

Life Extension - European Leg Solution Featuring Certified Diosmin 95
Nature's Way Butcher's Broom Root Capsules, 100-Count
Solaray Circulegs Horse Chestnut Special Formula Capsules, 200mg

I am out of the US, so this must come by family member visiting, thus the varieties ordered all at once.  I won't take all at once.  I will report back in here, probably by September of 2016, with the final verdict on each.  My eyes are blurry from so much computer research... So off I go... Hope others benefit from my sharing.
I also suffer from the left leg & foot swelling. I have, like a lot of the above people, tried many different medical testings and treatments to no avail.
In my research I came across an article suggesting low levels of magnesium could be the problem. I began taking magnesium citrate (best form to be used in the body quicker). The swelling has slowly begun to go down and no more pain. My leg and foot swelling is half of what it used to be in just a months time which is such a huge relief. I have suffered with this for about 4 years now and this is the first thing that has worked outside of prednisone.
Those that have tried water pills to help can use a natural form for this. Watermelon, strawberries and broccoli all help eliminate water naturally.
I am going to try the Bromelain suggested by someone above.
Lecithin is also great for keeping arteries and veins clear and healthy.
In my experience with the foot swelling  : Stay away from Dough > Pizza, doughnuts, breads, pastas, cookies, cereal and anything else with grain in it.  I firmly believe the PESTICIDES used on the grain is doing this to us. The poison is in us. I've not figured how to remove it.....yet. Exercise drives it further into our system, making it way worse than if we don't exercise. ALSO : Stay away from tomato sauces, ham, bacon, canned beans, other canned commercial foods.
You CAN EAT : Fresh fruits and vegetables, chicken (plain), fish...that's it.
I have 20 years into this study. I have slightly high blood pressure, and I am slightly obese. I am Healthy. No headaches, no tremors, no seizures. No medications of any kind. I used to exercise daily until I ripped a tendon and got a shin splint. As long as I stay with the above mentioned intake, there is NO SWELLING. Try It.
I want us all to say a prayer.

I have read other people's stories on ankle swelling in one foot and I am having the same problem.Let us touch the area of swelling on our body that is troubling us as we say this prayer.

Dear God, We command this swelling to ripped from its roots in our bodies and cast out into the sea. We genuinely believe in our hearts for the restoration of our health because we believe that we have received our healing. We need you Father, we do not know the answer. And we need Your help so that we may be healed. In Jesus Name.
Amen.
I want us all to say a prayer.

Amen.
Hi KY Kris.. I was wondering if you ever found a cause or solution. Going through the same thing. I'm 42 but pretty healthy non smoking female. Thought it might have something to do with the anemia I was experiencing at that time. Anemia is gone due to iron supplements but still have swollen foot. Any help appreciated. Thanks