Neurology Community
unexplained left foot/ankle swelling

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

unexplained left foot/ankle swelling

I am 25 years old and very healthy. I am not overweight, I work out regularly, eat healthy, don't smoke. For the past 3 months I have been having severe swelling in my left foot and ankle. At times the swelling continues into my calf and causes a discomfort. I first noticed the swelling after I got home from the gym one evening. I took my shoe off and my foot was huge for no reason. I have not had any injuries, insect bites or infections. The first doctor I went to took x-rays which came back normal and ran a CBC which also came back completely normal. He told me I would just have to live with the swelling and wrote a Rx for Lasik PRN to help. The Lasik does help when I take it but as soon as I stop taking it the swelling comes right back. I've been told not to take it long term as it can effect important vitamin levels. I wasn't ready to just treat the symptoms and live with it so I went to an Internist who took me off birth control pills thinking it could be hormones but the swelling continued. She then sent me for a venous doppler test which also came back normal. She is sending me for an untrasound of the heart tomorrow. If the heart tests come back normal what else could be causing this unexplained swelling? It is only in the left foot/ankle and pitts for about 30 seconds when pushed on. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a diasnosis? I am afraid that I'm at the end of the road with tests and the doctors can't seem to figure out what is causing this swelling in a young, healthy person.

This discussion is related to Unexplained Swelling of Left Foot/Ankle.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
High blood pressure causes pooling of fluids in your legs.
Also any problem with venous shunts or drainage of veins also causes this.
If everything is normal and all your parameters are normal then you keep your legs elevated while you sleep and also while working do not stand for long hours and try to sit and also keep your legs on a stool stretched and it will help.
Without any medical problem, you should not worry.
Take care!
I'm having the same problem and went to a vascular specialist.  He said that I have venous insufficiency, which is caused by the veins in my legs being enlarged.  I am supposed to wear suppor hose for 30 days and go back to see if that worked, if not we will consider surgery.  Apparently it is not life threatening and is treatable.
The fact is there are a variety of potential reasons for a single swollen foot/leg, especially for a 25 year old. This is unusual. You appear to be describing what is called "pitting edema". Very usual at age 25.

You need a dopplar scan of both legs to rule out vascular issues.

Your physician is prudent in examining the heart. She is looking for a venous preload proble, which is unlikely at your age.

You also need to cut down on salt.

As for a diuretic, 1000mg - 1500mg of crystaline vitamin C in two or three divided doses mixed with food/drink should be tried before going to Lasix.

Please post back when you get a diagnosis from your M.D.
I meant to say "unusual" at age 25.  
I finally was diagnosed with a rare condition called Lymphedema. Basically there is a problem with my Lymphatic system for an unknown reason it is not properly draining the lymph fluid out of my foot. There is no cure and the only treatment is to wear compression stockings. Hopefully if you have the same symptoms this will help you to discuss this condition as a possibility with your doctor.
Hi Kris,  I have pretty much the same thing, and they did diagnose it as Lymphedema.  The swelling started when I was 30 and is just in my right foot.  It's been three and a half years and thank God the condition hasn't worsened.  How are you doing?  

I want to nothing but cry when I read about Lymphedema.  Some cases are so horrible.  I am used to being a healthy athletic person and I just want to know how to reverse this condition as the lymphatics were functioning just fine up until I got this at 30.  I've seen several lymphedema practitioners, they don't know how to reverse the condition, just treat it.  I'm looking for more people like you and me who got the condition later in life.  

Do you wear heels ever?  How often do you were compression?  Do you work out?  Are you considering pregnancy?  Please respond if you can as I'm trying to learn how this condition affects people who got it later in life.  Thanks.  

If anyone has a similar story please comment as well.
Hi...I am a 28-year-old female who in April 2008 started experiencing ankle swelling that would come and go. I went to my GP and she told me I was fat and needed to lose weight...so I lost almost 40 pounds. I was doing fine for awhile...until August 2009 crept up and the swelling started staying. And then there wasn't just swelling in my ankles, it continued to the tops of my feet, my legs, my fingers, my neck and my middle.

So I went back to the doctor and she sent me to the cardiologist. Healthy. Then I went to my gyno. Healthy. Then I went to a Vascualar surgeon. Healthy. And then an Endocrinologist. Healthy. And then I was referred to an Allergist. Healthy. Finally at a nephrologist...he tells me I have something called Leaky Capillary Syndrome and that my edema is called Idiopathic Cyclic Edema. I research it and find out that only 57 or so people have this condition and that no one knows a treatment/fix. So it's now April 2010 and I am still having no luck. I have been put on diuretics which don't help at all. I'm coming into summer time AGAIN and I can't even wear most shoes/clothes because of this. I WISH someone would figure something out. The nephrologist that I went to doesn't know what to do either.

Maybe that'll open your eyes to something similar.
Hi wafflecat. I too was very upset when I first began researching lymphedema. There is a surgical procedure that can in some cases reverse the symptoms but my vascular doctor didn't recommend it because she claims it causes more harm than good and the success rate it low.

I do wear heels quite a bit even though it isn't good for the feet. I wear compression stockings about 3 times a week under my pants and when I wear them it really feels good on my legs and I can tell a difference. They are not very fashionable but they do work. I am not at a point in my life where I am condsidering having children but I do plan to have them one day. I understand that having children can make lymphedema worse but I will take that chance. My swelling comes and goes and most people don't notice it until I point it out but I can tell especially because of the discomfort. It is usually around my ankle bone and on the top of my foot.

I do workout often and staying active seems to help improve my circulation and keep swelling down especially if I wear tennis shoes because the tightness acts as compression. I have noticed a pattern that when I am stressed or in the heat I notice more swelling. I hope that this helps you. I know that it is frustrating but try to stay positive.
Good Evening,

I am a 21 year old female and I have been dealing with this same issue now for two years. My swelling began on December 25, 2008, I remember the exact date because it was my 20th birthday. For 4 months I tried the compression socks but it was more of a hindrance than a help. I am 5'7" and 140 lbs, and the doctors (I saw three) couldn't figure out what is wrong with my left foot either. After a a little over half a year the pain had mostly subsided, except for an occasional flair up, and I am wearing heels again.
Besides it being a nuisance, it really doesn't bother me much except for slight discomfort at times and when it swells up more than usual. I was told that more than likely it is lymphedema, but never took the time to look up what exactly it is. But reading your words has prompted me to learning more about it.

Thanks,
Jess
I have the same kind of swelling and pain in both of my ankles. It started when I was 24 and in the best shape of my life. 7 years and 2 ankle surgeries later nothing has changed. I can't exercise without severe pain for days after and I have been tested for everything under the sun. I've seen 4 orthopedic surgeons, someone for RA testing, and the last thing was lymphedema therapy. My last doctor suggested I go to the Cleveland Clinic or Mayo Clinic that specialize in strange conditions. He still thinks its lymphedema but the therapy didn't help and she was a great therapist. So, I'm stumped with all of you! I hope together we can solve this problem!!

Jan, Kentucky
Hi. I'm 26, almost 27, and I am starting to have something similar happen to me. Since this past summer, I've been having a weird pain on the top of my left foot, mostly when I first would wake up. Usually, the pain would be gone by the end of the day. But for the last two weeks, the pain and swelling have not gone away or gone down. It's uncomfortable to wear a shoe, and the pain is strange-feeling, sort of stinging, like a bad sunburn, but under the skin. I just went to the doctor today and she ordered some blood work and x-rays of both feet for a comparison. From the sound of things here, it sounds like it might be difficult to figure out what's wrong. I know one test ordered was for Lymes disease.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi there. This could be trauma, infection, autoimmune disorder and spine disc degenerative disease. Consult an orthopaedician for examination of the foot to rule out any trauma, fracture bone and comparison with the better foot, radio graphically. This could be peripheral neuropathy secondary to vitamin b complex deficiency, diabetes mellitus etc. autoimmune disorders like rheumatoid arthritis, metabolic disorders like gout need to be checked with blood tests. MRI spine needs to be done for lumbar disc degeneration, prolapsed or spondylosis. Hope this helps. Take care.

I too have this same condition.  I have had it for years now.  It started, all of the sudden one day after doing some yard work.  My food got very swollen, red and hot.  I had not fallen, I had to bites or infections and it was very painful.  After the pain went away, the swelling never did.  

I went to my dr (at least 4 times), the chiropractor, a podiatrist. I had scans done of my legs, xrays done of my foot and everything came back normal.  I even went to the gynecologist just to make sure everything was alright.

My diet seems to affect it, as does the weather. When it's hot my foot gets very swollen, when it's cold it goes down.  I like to wear sneakers really tight as it acts as a compression.  I only wear certain kinds of shoes - shoes that cover the top of my foot because I've very self conscious about it.  Its only uncomfortable when my foot is extra swollen.  I have had 2 children and with each one the swelling was incredible - but since both feet swelled the dr said it was fine.    

After reading all of these comments I will be doing further research.  They told me I was just going to have to live with it.
I have had one foot swollen for 12 years and last year I decided to go gluten free because of a rash I developed and within 6 weeks the swelling in my foot was almost gone for the first time.  Just might want to give it a try.  I too never wore sandals or anything that might show my foot because I was uncomfortable.
Have a complete Thyroid Panel. Very indicative of Graves Disease. I too experienced this and that was my first symptom.
Hi I have just been reading this thread, I have what my pain clinic Dr/Consultant calls  sever true sciatic for 9 months now which has caused me to be unable to continue as a proper independent person and in this time I have also been diagnosed with no thyroid which causes me to fall asleep at the drop of a hat and in the last 5 months a very peculiar occurrence has happened to me, my left foot and ankle has swollen to the size of a blown up rubber glove leaving just these flailing toes at the end of it also both my feet feel like they have invisible bruises on the dorsal sides but there has been NO injurys to either of my feet save for the bulging lumbar disk in my back.
I feel that my body is falling apart on me!  My mum a month before she passed away gave me some water tablets to try and well they don't work, I have seen my doctor and he said I have to put my feet up and have them at the same hight as my hips, but thats not working.
Could this be a symptom of my thyroid problem? or my Sciatic problem?
I want to know what the heck is going on with me for a few reasons
A. because my socks are tight on my feet, my shoes and rubber clogs don't fit and even getting a size bigger  become to small.
B. Its just my left foot and very slight odeama in my right foot.

Does any one think whether it could be a reaction to medications, or my age (42),has any one tried any holistic approaches as well as the medical approach if so what was it and for how long, has this had any impact on your situation or symptoms ( my chosen profession is relfexologist)
Finally, I've come to a site where individuals are experiencing the same problem with JUST one lower leg, foot, ankle.  I just went to a rheumatologist in the city and they did ultrasounds complete of both legs from the groin down, then XRAYS of both legs from the knee down, then XRAYS of both feet, a chest XRAY and a full blood work up.  All tests came back that I'm great, but I still have the problem.  I don't understand any of this.  I'm thinking about trying the gluten free diet also to see if that helps.  Any other ideas??
Hi there, I'm 21 and have experienced swelling in my right foot for the last 2 1/2 years. For me, it was following a few very painful injuries on the foot (girl trod on me with heels etc) and an intensive ballet show. I have seen orthopaedic doctors, physios, had MRIs etc etc. Eventually I saw a vascular surgeon this year and he thought it was lymphedema due to the trauma and prescribed me compression stockings to wear every day.

This is a very sad issue for me too, as like you, I'm a healthy and fashion conscious young girl. I wear the stocking when I'm on my feet the whole day (at uni, work etc), or if i'm at the gym or exercising but don't wear it if I go out at night or if I want to get my legs out in summer. I wear heels sometimes, but I bid goodbye to my very high ones and opted for some more medium height, chunky ones with more support. I find very flat shoes that offer no support are actually worse than a moderate heel, so I steer away from these. I can sometimes wear them for a little while if I'm wearing my stocking, which I wear underneath tights or trousers.

Other than a stocking, drinking lots of water, regular exercise (I do dance - though not ballet anymore - go to the gym, swim, lots of exercise classes, badminton etc) and elevating my feet when I'm at home really helps. Also, I'm going to see a lymphedema specialist soon who will hopefully suggest massage and maybe custom fit a better stocking. Hope this helps a bit, Sarah x
I am a 29 years old and for the past 5-6 years I have been suffering from lymphedema in my left foot. I have had numerous tests and seen numerous doctors of the years and I've received the same response from all of them: there's no treatment to reverse this, and that I will have to live with it.
I can't express how upsetting that news was/is... with modern medicine today, it is so difficult to believe that there is no cure for this.

I am very delicate with my foot: I elevate it and have eliminated salt completely from my diet. No heels, more exercise and I try to wear compression stockings when I can.
The heat (especially the humidity) really swells up my foot.

I catch myself looking at, even after so many years, so many peoples' ankles while I'm in public, hoping I will find another person with my problem... and I never have. This is so rare; maybe that's why there is no cure... not enough research money towards this because so few people have it.

Maybe one day we will have a cure :)

I'm 27 male and am having same problem in right foot. I was kicking a heavy bag at the gym last year that wasn't properly anchord. So i kicked it wrong when it was swinging and it kind of hurt my foot. Didn't think much of it...about a week later after getting off an airplane, my foot started to hurt and it swelled up. Went to several docotrs. They gave me all kinds of antibiotics, pain killers, anti-inflam. Gave me a splint and crutches and had me stay off of it (keeping it elevated above my heart). Had x-rays and no bone issues. The problem went away and i thought i was ok.

11 months later, the issue has come back. Once again, X-rays, sonograms, blood tests, manay docotors. Nothing seems to work.

I was on Prednisone for 10 days and the issue seemed to be gone. Soon as i stopped taking the pills, the issue came right back. So the Dr. gave me prednisone for the next month. I have a fealing its only treating the symptoms and not the cause.

I'm going to try and switch to a gluton free diet as suggested by Reyenga. My grandma can't have gluton eigther but she is a good bit older than me. Seems odd that i have an issue like this at my age.
I've had the same issue for two years. Same doc. answers. Had 3 ultrasounds, numerous x-rays, and cat scans.  They just can't seem to figure out what it is.  The last visit I had, the doc. (who specialized in veins) said I had lymphedema -- I beg to differ.

I'm a healthy, 23 y/o female, who exercises regularly.  The problem tends to flare up when I haven't had enough sleep, eat any sweets, too much caffeine, or alcohol.  Alcohol has MAJOR effects.

It's comforting to know I'm not the only one.  I'm going to try going gluten free and see if there's a relative effect.  Also, I'd like to cut out caffeine.  I'll keep everyone posted.  Please do the same.
1 year ago I was bitten by a spider on the top of my left foot. It swelled and became painful to walk or even tough the skin on that foot. The symptoms disappeared in a few days.

Since that event my left foot has swollen up just the same as it did with the bite on 4-5 separate occasions with each outbreak lasting 2-3 days in duration then fully disappearing. I've been to the doctor on each occasion and they don't know what is causing it.

I take 2-3 Prednisone tablets a month for a different condition and it was interesting to see that 'swollenrightfoot' was prescribed this to reduce his swelling, and it worked. Prednisone has some serious side-effects which is why I only take a few per month but my foot swelled up again today so I'm going to take them and see if it helps.

Reading all of e above posts it seems I may have Lymphedema. I'll see a doctor and find out if that's what I've got.
Like all of you I have one foot that swells when it is hot outside or if I am standing it on for a long period of time.   It happened over night.  Went to bed and the next morning it was profoundly swollen. (this happened 25 year ago) I could only fit into a pair of runners.  No idea what caused this.  Went to every known specialist including acupuncture and reflexology.  No one knows what is going on.   They did test for blood flow and the blood is not flowing as fast in the one leg.  I have learned to live with it...and yes I do wear high heels but look for styles which hide the swelling somewhat - T straps shoes or enclosed.
I do think that I will try the gluten free diet.   Anything is worth a try.
I too have similar problems in my left ankle/foot with swelling and my symptoms are similar to most everyone else.
This has been going on for about 8 or 9 years now and my doctor tried the fluid pills on me, it helped but didn't completely eliminate my problem, just masked it for a while. (once my body got use to the Lasix, it wouldn't work unless I increased my dosage, and I eventually quit taking them all together because I was afraid of taking them long term and the effects to my body)
I am very curious to see whether any of you have any new information on your condition/treatment and to see if anyone found good results with the Gluten Free diet.  I would be interested to hear any suggestions from you guys....
I am going to research this Lymphedema and ask my doctor about it when I see him next......
Julie
Same prob-sort of.
Im 35 and have had swelling in one one ankle & subsequent leg for years. I learned a while ago that one leg was longer, bc my spine is not 100% straight. The longer leg swells. I also had arthroscopic surgery on that knee after tearing the meniscus kickboxing. Some days it doesnt swell most days it does, even if a little. I compression stocking most nights, and many days (in the winter). I had the vascular test run, no prob. I also have a few freckles on that ankle that come and go, they were biopsysed once. Im going to step up my compression from 20-30mmhg to 30-40...has that helped anyone? I have not tried to alter my diet. I think that it swells because of the extra pressure it recieves being longer. I also occasionally wear a lift in my shoe to compensate however I think my body just favors that leg on an unconscience level.
I never thought about how pregnany would effect it. I appreciate this forum, lets continue to share.
Hello I am 31 and I have had the same problem since I was a child. I have had every test doctors could think of multiple times over the years and also was put on lasik but I stopped taking if because of the long-term effect. Basically I will have the swelling in my left foot and ankle for the rest of my life doctors say. I am healthy in shape and not over weight either. Doctors also prescribed me several support stockings that never worked.
Hi,  I am  26 years of age and just 5 days ago my left foot started swelling and since then has not gone down. I have not been to any doctors as yet but have been planning to go see one this weekend, I am not sure if i have Lymphedema but after reading about all of you i am very serious about finding out, and i understand that it might not be very harmful over years but it is uncomfortable and will affect what type of shoes i would like to wear, my foot looks like it did when i was first pregnant and then i had a reason for the swelling i just find it strange that nothing can be done about it!!!
Hi, this conversation got me really scared. My ankle started swelling for basically no reason 2 weeks ago. It was not too bad at the beginning, but then I made a dreadful mistake and went running. And here we go... I could not walk normally for couple of days because of the pain, went to an out-patient clinic but they said it was nothing serious, just no running for a while and everything would be fine. I went to see the nurse in my local surgery, and she basically said the same thing. But it's been 5 days since then, walking is better if less than 20 minutes, but it gets pretty bad if I have to stand for a while (in a queue, or when I'm taking a shower, or when I'm cooking!). I'm starting to feel a bit dizzy and feel the area in my chest, too, I can't say it is a chest pain, but just a strange feeling I don't remember having before. Does the feeling seem familiar to anyone? I will try the nurse again on Monday or Tuesday, am thinking whether I should be persistent and ask to see the specialist asap, or not.
This is the conversation I have been searching for since my foot swelled 2 months ago.  Here is my story.  Started with a lymph node behind right ear that went away.  I then felt tired, achy, bones, muscles, headache you name it I felt it.  That sort of subsided.  Then on June 13 my foot (left) was swollen with pitting edema.  I had pain in the leg and behind knee, not terrible more a constant nerve nagging pain.  My back also hurts but I have lower back issues.  I am overweight as well.  I had an ultrasound of my leg it was negative for DVT but a lymph node was enlarged they called benign.  So my MD ordered a CT of the abdomen and pelvis that was negative but there were a few enlarged benign reactive lymph nodes.  Myself or my doc cannot feel any of them so he thinks they have gone down.  My problem is my foot continues to swell up, it will go down but then right back up.  It feels like pins and needles and my leg hurts when it swells.  My right foot will swell slightly but not bad.  I had an echocardiogram that was fine.  I am to see a vascular surgeon next week, my MD thinks lymphedema possibly.  It is terrible, I feel like I am 100 the way I walk and drag my leg.  My leg feels heavy as well.  It looks terrible, like an elephant trunk it is quite embarrassing.  I need to lose weight but it is hard to walk and I can't even put a sneaker on to exercise.  I am going nuts I need answers to this because it is not normal.  
I am a 40 year old active female. My swelling started at age 33 (during the summer). I have had every test you can image (all normal) and seen every doctor you can image (all said the same thing that it was lymphedema and that I would have to live with this for the rest of my life).

I had 3 children before I turned 30 and never experienced any swelling in my ankles with either pregnancy (one pregnancy was with twins which I carried full-term and no problems). I had my last child at age 35 by way of IVF and oddly enough, I had very little swelling in my ankles during this pregnancy. Before this pregnancy, the swelling was mild, no pain at all and no discomfort. After this pregnancy, the swelling began to increase and now has a really weird discomfort sometimes it's so bad that I could not sleep at night.

At age 37, I had breast implants and I healed with no complications whatsoever but I still experienced swelling in my ankle. At age 38, I had a tummy tuck and it was coupled with complications. After the drainage tubes were removed, my stitches started coming through my skin and my stomach started swelling. The surgeon told me that I had excessive swelling from lymphedema so I had to have lymphatic massages to help me heal. During the entire episode of my tummy tuck healing, I didn't experience any swelling in my ankle, NONE! Once my stomach healed, I continued with the lymphatic massages and yet the unexplained swelling in my ankle returned with a vengeance. It is worse now than it has ever been.

I will not give in to medications or surgeries because no doctor has yet to tell me that it will cure this unexplained swelling in my ankle. I will try almost anything that is natural...I am highly considering a gluten-free diet.
Hi Kris,

Your description of your symptoms and trips to the doctors for tests and diagnosis are spot on to what i have endured.

As your posts were since 2009, was wondering if you've had any breakthroughs you can share with me as i am desperate for a solution.
This has happened to me 12 weeks ago. I am 28, have been a dancer for 14 years and suddnely my leg and foot have swollen. I have had ultra sounds, xrays and now just waiting for an MRI, but the more I read the more it looks like the Lymphaneda but I am not diagnosed.

Has anyone found anything that can help because currently I am having to wear flip flops, elasticated shoes or canvas pumps, none of which look attractive with dresses or skirts. I can't get any other shoes on without being in severe pain.

Any advice or support would be very grateful because right now I am giving up hope of looking like a normal female again.

Thank you
Hi Janice1212!  My swelling began in 2006 when I was just 24 years old.  I was about 4 months along with my youngest of two children.  I assumed at the time that it was just pregnancy swelling and that it would go away after I had the baby.  It in fact, did not.  Seven years later and both of my feet, ankles and calves swell.  I have been to several different doctors and I've been told Lymphedema by some, but the one I'm seeing now at UK is telling me that he doesn't think it's Lymphedema because my toes don't swell.  I am over-weight and that is caused by another little known condition called PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome), which I'm also in the process of getting treated.  I have had the eLves procedure done on both legs because the vascular surgeon I saw told me I had very deep vericose veins in both legs.  Thinking this would take care of the problem, he burned both of the veins shut.  I was told that this procedure helps around 90% of patients, but unfortunately I was in the 10% it did not work for.  I was told to lose weight and that I would see a difference, but I am having a very difficult time with that.  I don't know what to do or where to turn if I don't find out anything at UK.  Mayo or Cleveland Clinic may be next on the list.  This condition is very irritating and uncomfortable and it isn't exactly very eye pleasing either.  Hoping and praying something comes of this!
I am just 20 years old and I have been facing unexplained swelling in my left ankle more than my right ankle and foot for the past 4 years. I hide my feet away from everyone. I cant wear the basic cute flat, because my feet swell so much at the top that everyone thinks I'm pregnant. It is so embarrassing. Wearing heels is very painful and boots are a better choice. I work in retail and it takes a toll on my feet that some days my ankles seem to never want to go down. I now believe that after all my years of visiting doctors and not finding an answer it is lymphoma. I am also starting a gluten free diet as well. Can any one help me as well.
I'm a 40 yr old female and have recently noticed my left foot  is swollen. I haven't been to the doctors yet and I go to bed with my feet raised above my heart. Seems to be a little bit better  in the morning but the swelling gradually comes back. I hv just been touching my ankle and it leaves an impression when I poke it. Very bizarre. I hv 3 kids and never had swollen ankles. Summers coming up (well sort of if you live in Melbourne) and I am dreading wearing sandles with these kangles.
I have had my left ankle/foot swollen since I was about 15 years old.  I have been tested and all tests have come back negative.  I was never given a diagnosis but the treatment has always been the same: compression stockings.  I wear the compression stockings sometimes, but there are times they actually hurt and dig into the bend of my foot.  I am now 62 years old and still have my left swollen ankle/foot and have learned to live with it, and use the compression stockings mainly in the summer when the humidity is high.  My foot is more swollen during the summer.  Fortunately, slacks are much more popular nowadays because I am uncomfortable wearing dresses because of my swollen foot.  I take breaks sitting down and put a lot more pressure on my right leg.  It's not life threatening and it is uncomfortable, but you do learn to live with it.
Hello Everyone,
I too experience many of these same symptoms. I am 32 and have experienced this for the last 6 yrs on and off. I find that I notice the most swelling if I attempt to wear heals for any period of time. I have also recently noticed some swollen glands or lymph nodes in my neck. I saw a post above about someone who can fall asleep at the drop of a hat... I have been experiencing this for the last few years. I will be sitting at my desk at work and all of a sudden I am dozing off. It doe not matter how much rest I get. I had seen a few dr's in the beginning but as many of you have experienced no one seems to know what it is. I have even had dr's act like I am dr shopping... It has been a very painful embarrassing and annoying experience. I going to go back to the dr and see if anyone can figure this out. Please everyone keep posting I thnk the more we learn from eachother the better off we will all be. Even if we don't all suffer from the same conditions we can use eachother experience to at least rule other things out... Thanks Guys!!!
I am curious if you "bovvered" , or any of the same thread here, eat organic
or raw vegan? I also wonder if any of you have researched how your food is grown (animal or plant)? I think you all would come to know the powerful
effects that the way we eat and the way its grown for you to eat has a connection. It might take time to find real truths, but please research this. Thier is alot of money being put into growing food UNnatual. Its all leading us to very diseased and suffering bodies.
I also have the problem everyone is talking about here.  Interestingly, no doctor has ever mentioned Lymphedema to me even though I have seen several doctors regarding the swelling I have in my left foot and ankle.  I have had it for years but recently it has gotten much worse.  I recently bumped that ankle on a sharp object and a few days later the swelling appeared and was so bad I went to the emergency room where they took x-rays.  Nothing was broken and the emergency room doctors could not explain why this took place several days later after the injury.  The swelling was so bad, my foot had broken blood vessels and bruising.  I didn't even think the injury was that bad when I did it and I still wonder if that even had anything to do with this flare up.  It has been a month and this foot is still more swollen than it has been in previous years.  I eat very healthy, hardly anything processed, nothing canned, no beef and very small portions of chicken and fish.  I think I will try the gluten free diet to see if that has any connection.  If that doesn't work, I will resort to wearing the support stockings as according to the doctors, I have no health problems and this is just something I am going to have to live with.  I have had 5 children and the swelling started after that.  
I have the same problem that everyone is talking about here.  It has been going on for me for over 5 years, it gets worse depending on what I eat.  I have been to several doctors over the years but haven't had anyone of them mention to me lymphedema.  Can anyone tell me what doctor to go to for lymphedema?  I have gone to a different doctor about every 9 months.  I am on a high blood pressure medicine to help pull the fluid off of my foot and it doesn't help as much as it first did 5 years ago.  I recently did a cleanse diet and for the first time in 5 years my foot was the same size as my right one and looked like the same person.  For 5 years now I have looked down at my feet and they do not look like they belong to the same person.  any help anyone has to give me is really appreciated.  I am so glad I found this group.  thanks.
To all of the sufferers of this; I too have this and I have found the reason which is very hard to swallow. I have several very close friends which are Doctors. One is a pathologist who has informed me that this is a symptom of the body fighting a foreign substance. He has seen this and other similar unexplainable symptoms usually with the lymphatic system, cropping up at an alarming rate. Dr Russell Blaylock also has good info about this.  I have studied this for years and approached my Congressmen and Senators. They are aware of it but won't talk about it. Metalic salts, Fibers/Filaments and Engineered Biologicals are causing our problems. I am not a fear monger and I am a very positive but sensitive person. This journey I have taken over the last few years has been a trip like Alice in Wonderland... strange! Please see it for yourself...
I am a Mechanical Engineer and very down to earth when it come to these kinds of things. What I found was simply disturbing, I am now using a treatment that has helped me tremendously. Dr Robert Beck helped to develop this but it is sold out of Canada by a company called SOTA Instruments. I hope this helps to be a starting point for some...  If you go to You tube and search "Bio-engineering - How They are Changing You" Please let others know...
Best wishes on your personal journey...
Hello - I found this page because I was searching for a possible reason as to why I am having many of the same symptoms that everyone else is having - swelling ankles and feet (sometimes with twinging/tingling pain). I will preface this by saying that I DO have high blood pressure, but am on medication for it (part of that being a type of water pill). The swelling comes and goes, but as I live in TX, I've noticed that the heat makes it worse. As well, when I do any walking, while I know overall it's "good for me," I noticed that my feet are hot, sore, and swollen after I get back from a long walk....I just want to soak my feet in cold water! I was one of the first people in my office to have a standing desk...which didn't last more than a month, because I had so much swelling and pain in my feet by the end of the day I had to get rid of it! My feet would be NUMB and stay numb for awhile even after I got home, so I knew something was not right. I haven't yet visited a doctor for my symptoms, but I'm glad I have a couple of possible causes.  

HOWEVER, the real reason I'm responding is because of what you, samaritan4u, had to say about "Metallic salts, Fibers/Filaments and Engineered Biologicals..." By "engineered biologicals" do you mean GMOs??? (Genetically Modified Organisms or GE's - Genentically Engineered food).  Because if so, then yes, I wholeheartedly agree with this!  I have been studying, researching, and gleaning every bit of information I can on GMOs and how they might affect us. Thirty years of GMOs in the food system have given us myriad health problems, so I am assuming that this is just part of those health issues. samaritan4u, do you have any links to documents/white papers/websites or videos that would offer more information? From my own perspective, I have put together a list of videos about GMO/GE foods, if anyone is interested:  http://sdrv.ms/18MJ6d2  Keep in mind, the companies who control and create GMOs/GEs based the safety of their "food" on the results from only ONE 90-day scientific experiment (which showed it was "safe") but have nothing that shows what the long-term effects would be. However after 30 years, I think we can see for ourselves what those results are! (and we can feel it in our feet and ankles!) Please educate yourselves on GMOs and GE foods and GO ORGANIC as much as possible! There are a ton of videos on YouTube as well.  
To the people who think that this could be a symptom of being poisoned by GMOs and toxic food and drink, you are correct. My entire body became swollen from my head to my toes for 2 years, but the doctors could not figure out what was wrong with me. I couldn't wear my shoes or my clothes. My body hurt all over. I had psoriasis and eczema so bad that my eyes were nearly swollen shut. My hands would bleed from my dry skin.  I could barely walk and thought it was time for me to die. I was only 58 yrs. old and ordered my gravestone. Then I did a lot of research, and I decided to take out of my diet ALL grains, dairy, MSG, GMO's, soy, processed foods, fast foods, restaurant foods, chemicals, preservatives etc. I started drinking pure spring water from the source so that i could remove chlorine and fluoride. Guess what happened? Within 4 months, my swelling started going down, and I was off my blood pressure meds. Within 6 months, I had lowered my cholesterol by 100 pts. and my triglycerides went from 260 to 130. By 6 months I had lost 17 pounds of fluid from the inflammation in my body. It has now been 15 months, and I'm almost back to normal again. However, I will never eat the standard American diet (SAD) again. I make my own almond milk and almond flour. I make my own coconut milk and coconut flour. I eat organic most of the time and locally grown when I can get it. I eat only grass-fed meat, wild caught salmon, and soy-free GMO-free fed chickens and their eggs. Actually, that was the last part of the puzzle for me. I knew something was still poisoning me, and I finally found out that it was the chickens and eggs with soy and GMO feed that were doing it. I don't eat anything out of a can or a box. I cook natural, clean, whole foods. I bake my own almond and flax seed bread and muffins. I was ready to die, but now I'm going to live. I have just a small amount of swelling in my left ankle and the top of my left food and cannot figure out why. But I will keep searching for the answer until I do.  
I read you have Lymphedema in your left foot.
I too have it in my left foot for the past 4-5 years, just recently they diagnosed me and got me the compression stockings and circulator pump.
They HAVE to be able to find a cure for this. They can do miracles with brains and heart surgery and even vein surgery so I don't understand why they can't fix a lymphatic problem.
I think it's because there are not enough cases to warrant a government grant but in my opinion there are more people with it than we know of.
I bet a lot of people have it but due to the lack of pain often not see a doctor about it (like I did).
We need more awareness, people with the condition speaking up about the symptoms to make other people with those symptoms aware of it and go see a doctor.
Henk (50 year old male with Lymphedema)
Hello All.  Now I know that I'm not going crazy.  I had a heart sonogram 1 1/2 year ago, I did a thorough blood work on June 7th, everything came back normal except my Bad Cholestrol is High, my Vitamin D is very low, and my Thyroid is low.  In 2012 I noticed that my left foot became swollen, and shortly after I twisted the same ankle.  At the same time felt tingling and pins and needles in the left foot.

Prior to these feet problems, I often felt tingling and pins & needles in the left foot. I went to a neurologist in 2011 who performed a test on both my feet. The results showed that everthing was normal.  

I had feet Xrays done in 2012 and 2013, nothing showed. My Podiatrist told me that I had Planter Facsitis.  

However, about a month ago, I noticed that my left foot became swollen. I have no problem walking, but at night it does down. I wear a compression sock on that leg, it helps but it makes me feel nauseous.  I have a referral for another XRAY.  I'm hoping that I can get some relief as to what is happening to my body.  I'm beyond frustrated. I just turned 48 and was told that I'm going through menopause :-(
I have the same issue with my left foot only and have been to 6 doctors over the past 8 months. After reviewing this post last night I found this site and tried Coliander seeds boiled in water as directed (two times a day) from this site to reduce swelling and this evening the swelling of my left foot is completely gone! Please research Coliander seeds on the net or YouTube. It will be an added part of my daily routine every day from now on.

Here is the site I first heard of this remedy:
http://www.homeveda.com/women-health/natural-ayurvedic-home-remedies-for-edema.html
Your article was posted a few years ago and i'm not sure you will see this but I have the same exact problem. I am 47 and about 4 years ago my foot started swelling (mainly my left foot). I have been to every Dr. under the sun, orthopedist, cardiologist, allergist, gyno, etc. and had every test you can think of but no one can tell me why my foot is swollen. It's worse in the summer when it's hot or humid out. In the winter the swelling is minimal! If I go near the ocean, like on a vacation, POOF! My foot is huge! If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sick of explaining why my foot is big all the time and it would be nice to wear cute sandals in the summer! Right now it's really swollen and the top of my ankle hurts.
my son is experiencing this as well hes almost 18 has the left foot only swelling no ankle blows up where he cant put a shoe on stays that way sometimes for extended period of time same xrays sonogram all dopler test all come back perfect this week to vascular dr for another test since no one else has any idea, obviously its not so uncommon as the drs make you think any advice welcome what to try next