using your own bone with bone grafts vs. cadavor bone.
Hi, I am having surgery in July. Fusion of C4  thru C7, also 3 discs being removed. My Dr. will be doing bone grafts from my hip and back. Has anyone else gone thru this and what was your experience?
I have also had a failed decompression in 05 and major complications from a previous fusion above C4. In N.Y.
My new neurosurgeon is Dr. Michael P. Steinmetz of Metro Health Medical Center in Cleveland, Ohio. He just transfered from Cleveland Clinic. Has anyone else been seen by him and can you share your experience please?
i am so scared of all the pain again and having major trouble trusting Dr.s
i have been told the screws have come loose from my previous fusion. I also have pinched nerves in my neck effecting my right arm.
I suffer horrible headaches and head pressure from failed chiari surgery resulting in dx of cerebellar ptosis,however, have been told not severe enough  for surgery. I think no Dr. wants to try and correct another Dr's mistake.
I am 42 and have suffered with all this for 20 years. I just need some relief and someone i can believe.
thank all of you so much!  

Hi there. I understand your anxiety and distrust of medical fraternity which roots from previous failure at health care. The cervical fusion can have complications post operatively the loose screws from previous fusion can irritate adjoining nerve roots and injure them. Re do fusion using bone graft should rectify the problem and it is best if your own bone usually the ischial crest is used to furnish the graft intraoperatively with lesser chance of graft rejection. I trust that the neurosurgeon that you are seeing presently would be having sound clinical acumen and would best relieve your symptoms. You can discuss in detail the prognosis of the surgery before the actual day so that you can prepare yourself and family mentally and know what and how much to expect. Not all times are the same and once if the surgical decompression did not give that well results it doesn’t mean it will happen again. Take care.