where do I start
I am looking for neurologist specializing in Anoxic Brain Injury due to aphyxiation during surgery.  This occured 9yrs ago and we were wondering if there has been progress in the research for treatment and therapy for this kind of injury.  He has slurring speach, visualy impaired and physically impaired due to the accident.  Where can I go for up to date help in Washington State?
There has been some change in thinking regarding brain injuries with the recent discovery that new brain cells will develop, even in adulthood. That being said, there is no "magic bullet" regarding such injuries. The brain has some redundancy, and treatment involves daily stimulation, both intellectually and physically. You don't need someone with an M.D. degree and specialty to do this. It requires time, energy and devotion. There is no special medication.  I worked with a brain-injured 99 year old who could not walk or talk, given up by her physician(s),  and was partially paralyzed and with daily stimulation and loving care, by the age of 103 she was able to regain function in many areas. She is now, incidentally 108. Behavioral reinforcement therapy works. In addition to good nutrition. For example, for a year she could not make a sound and every time she did she was rewarded with a hug, smilke and clapping. I would encourage reaching behavior by not placing a cup in her hand but making her reach for it. Every time she said a single word this was logged and rewarded. Soon the words became sentences.