Neurology Community
whiplash and shoulder injury

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

whiplash and shoulder injury

i had an accident on the 5th of january this year i was stationary in a car where another car going low speed hit mine in the rear. i have pain in right shoulder and shoulder blades pain up the right side of my neck with headaches behind my eyes and aching to back of head also feels like headache.i have been getting pins and neddles in my left hand and right foot and finding sleep difficult and sometimes impossible. i feel like my head is not mine i'm forgetting where i'm putting items. i am also extremely irritable and as i cant do as much round the house i'm very frustrated.i am such an independant person and hate asking for help but i am having to rely on others so much. i'm suppose to be getting married in september but how can i when i feel this bad. i've had some physio and he was concerned that i wasn't getting better and asked the doctor to refer me to an othopedic specialist the doctor was then put out when i saw him last and said he didn't see the point in referring me but had to as the physiotherapist requested it and he advised me it may take up to eighteen months for me to feel better. i don't understand why i'm in so much pain and am fed up and in a time where i should be happy and looking forward to my wedding i'm miserable. on top of that i have two children who i can't pick up any more and had to watch them bowling last week (as i couldn't join in) and feel they are getting a rough deal.

This discussion is related to CAR ACCIDENT-SHOULDER BLADE & NECK PAIN!!!!.
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you, I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

Usually, such symptoms may result due to post-concussion syndrome and may last for weeks or months after the injury that caused from the injury of a fall, vehicle accident, or sports injury.  For treatment approach, first it is essential to get (MRI) done to detect the brain or spinal abnormalities after that injury. Treatment commonly may be suggested for symptoms such as pain-killers, some antidepressants, physical therapy and regular exercises. If you suffer continuous headache, please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the possibilities here and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Further referral to a psychologist may be also helpful in order to treat usual anxiety or depression after such injuries (sometimes one may have) that may be one of the aggravating factors for persistent symptoms. Hope this information proves helpful to you.

Take Care & Regards!!!

i was in a car crash 2 weeks ago, i was driving so seat belt was over my right shoulder, How come my shoulder hurts more on my left? i keep getting a spasm from my shoulder to my elbow, and burning in my shoulder blade, left side of my neck hurts more then my right, i was stationary and rear ended at 30/40mph.