Do relaxation techniques work?
I have mild OCD, and I can see it progressively getting worse. I used to be unable to touch certain doorknobs, to the point where I couldn't let any skin touch them whatsoever. I'm watching myself get worse about it as I find it difficult to touch any doorknobs or handles at all. I have a bit of an obsession with even numbers, particularly multiples of 10—any and all numbers I can manipulate, like the volume of my laptop or TV, absolutely must be even numbers. I pick at any bumps that appear on my skin or scalp (although I try my hardest not to pick at my face. I'm proud of the fact that I can sort of control that compulsion) and the resulting scabs, which is painful and uncomfortable. It doesn't relax me or ease any anxiety, I just feel as though I have to do it. I fixate on little social faux pas that others would just forget about entirely.
My obsessions and compulsions aren't disturbing my life too much yet, but I'm trying to find ways to diminish the symptoms without medication or psychotherapy. I don't like the idea of absolutely having to be on medication, or the unnecessary chemicals, and I can't afford psychotherapy.
I've heard that relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga can help, but do they actually work?
Thanks!
Hi sillyfeathers,

Other members on here can probably give feedback on relaxation techniques. I'm trying guided imagery, but it's only been twice, so I don't feel I can comment on my experience yet.

I wanted to suggest a book, since you mentioned wanting to get your OCD under control on your own if possible. I just purchased The OCD Workbook: Your Guide to Breaking Free from Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (by Bruce Hyman and Cherry Pedrick) and am trying to work through some of the cognitive behavioral therapy exercises that employ exposure and response prevention. It would probably be best to work through it with a therapist, but in my case I don't want to wait around to find the right one. I live in a small town and it's been really hard to find people with the expertise. Out of complete frustration I bought this as an ebook a couple nights ago, zipped through about 100 pages, and forced myself to make some changes in the morning. I was really happy with my progress just hours later.

Feeling like I was on a roll, I then purchased a guided meditation album specific for OCD. I've listened to it two nights before going to bed and it is very relaxing. I think it's too soon to tell if it's helping, but I've enjoyed using it so far.

I hope some of this was helpful. Good luck.
Thank you for your help! I might try the workbook, or anything similar that I can find. I hope it helps me.
I don't suffer from OCD but Depression and Anxity issues treat ment has some similaritys.  Walking 30 miuntes a day.  Working out to focus on the physical and let the brain get some time off.

I noted that you want to do this on your own.  I sort leaned that way for  a while but...  We got into couples thearpy and thats been amazingly good.  Putting the problems out on the table and giging them all names helped me.  I tried the Zen stuff.  Its not bad btw,
Just wasntv ed obot the meds we take (or soon
CBT and chat to your doctor about meds for OCD,if you find the right ones it will make the condition a whole lot easier to manage.Exposure therapy might work to but go slow.All the best.