Aa
A
A
Close
Blank
Odd new habits/obsessions
I'm 24 years old and have been struggling with a few disorders in the last 3 or 4 years. I'm in the navy and was stationed to a ship in Guam when all of this came about. In 2006 I was working in the boiler room when one of the boilers exploded, filling the entire space with superheated steam. Myself, along with about 5 others managed to narrowly avoid being killed by evacuating via and escape trunk. However, there were 6 others that weren't so lucky and ended up being medivaced off the island to Texas. Of them, 2 died, one later that week and one early in 2007. Since all of this I have been diagnosed and treated for PTSD and severe anxiety and depression. The PTSD has slowly gotten better, but recently I was diagnosed with adult ADHD for inattentiveness. I have been prescribed Aderrall 30mg XR and have been taking it for the last 3 or 4 months. Since starting this medication, I have noticed an intensly satisfying urge to pick apart my shirts. I will start picking at the seam where the sleeve comes together in the armpit, and once the sleeve is nearly separated from the rest of the shirt, I will start on the collar seam. I will sit at the computer or just watching tv and pick at the seam threads until the sleeves and collar just fall off. So far this month I have ruined about 6 shirts. Since I was younger I have always had an obsession with picking at zits and blackheads, but not to the point of causing sores. I still do this today along with the shirt disassembling and was wondering if this new urge has been intensified by the Aderrall? If so, what can I do to tame the obsession without stopping the Aderrall, as it does help greatly keeping my work and priorities straight?

This discussion is related to repetitive thoughts and odd habits.
Cancel
0 Answers
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community Resources
Top Personality Disorder Answerers
1699033 tn?1443113373
Blank