Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
Strange body odor follwing me

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

Strange body odor follwing me

This gonna be a bit long, but I'm really serious and everyday is like hell so I'd appreciate if you read this and help me.

I thought it was GI problem or skin problem first time, but all the test results were healthy so every dr. sent me to psychiatrists.

I still think it's physical or neurological problem but people treat me like I'm mental so I write here. (No offense)

I've always had IBS all my life, and sometimes had body odor, but both were normal range and had nothing to do with each other. I mean when my IBS had really flared up there was no BO. and I'm hygienic person, I shower everyday for 1 hrs.

It started when I stayed in humid hot country. I'm weak to spicy foods or hot weather or stress, so I guess the place was the trigger--I developed severe underarm odor and become really gassy.

I'm usually a bit gassy and it's been odorless. But after staying that country(hot weather, severe stress, terrible diet) my body odor and gas(sorry, yuck) became really offensive.

So when I came back home I tried to eat healthy, lots of vegetables, limited proteins, no processed foods, etc...

Strange thing happens from here.
My skin odor disappeared and gas became nearly odorless, but strange smells started to follow me.

First I thought it was environment problem because it was not human BO. It was raw sewage smell or strange ammonia odor(not women's odor, pure ammonia smell), sometimes dirty clothe smell sometimes just undescribable something.

but time passes by I realized it was me. Because it followed me and when I bent down I could smell it coming from my body.

Then I thought I had rectal problem so intestinal gas leaking, but it was not.
One day I felt something more subtle than air coming out from my groin area and this air-like something was carrying the smell of my urine INSIDE my bladder. I didn't leak any urine, and my underwear, clothe were clean and my groin area skin didn't smell,
Something very subtle, air-kind something was seeping out from my body emitting odor of my inside.

Now you think I'm mental. don't you?
Sometimes I think I'm crazy too. and I WISH I were crazy.

And this smells change up to places, foods, condition, hormonal change, mood, or even weather.
I really can't pinpoint which thing trigger which smell. I just always have BO that follows me like radiation. Strange thing is my skin rarely have any BO now. (or my gas)
It's.... more like aura around me.
So people doesn't notice it was me first time, but slowly they start to notice it's me.

More bizzar thing is, this smell can travel to hundred meters in sec.
I MEAN IT.
I saw all the people walking hundred meters ahead me suddenly stare back at me, then start to look around as if they thought 'normal looking person like me' cannot emit this kind of odor spreading so vast area.

Plus, my family or friends or docs can't detect this smell. (though nurses can smell it I don't know why)
Many strangers can smell it (one day whole compartment of subway glared at me because of my smell. I remember the angry disgusted glares of people. I don't take subway after that.)
Some people mention it 'what the hell is that smell'... 'who **ted'... 'that's her'...
But my friends can't smell it. They are not lying. They usually point out my every defects, so when they say they don't smell, it's true.

Further strange thing is, the smell changes up to places.
Sometimes it start to emit in basement or bathroom, sometime in alleys, sometimes at my home, it just changes and I don't know why.

Just one more plus, some odors not emitted from me(like garbage smell or other persons smell) FOLLOWS ME.
One day there was an alcoholic in waiting room and I stayed there about one hour. After that day, for 2 days I emitted alcoholic stench from my body. I wasn't even sitting next to him but it was like my body aura absorbed the stench!

Think it was demanding reading, sorry.
But I had to vent all the strange symptoms that's killing me everyday.
How can this kind of symptom exist?

Severe BO? I can live with that. But smell of my inside gut or bladder escapes me?!! and it spreads to vast area in seconds?! and whatever I eat however I shower the smell doesn't go away?! and the BO is not normal human stench?

Sometimes the smell is so not human, more like sulphur substance in Lab, I can blame it to sewage problem.

Now I'm taking xanax to calm me down, and it helps me about sulfhuric odor, but when I take xanax too much it becomes rotten garbage odor.

Already too long to read, I'll add some more in replies.

Is anyone here have this problem?
What the hell is this? How can physically this kind of thing exist?

PLZ, somebody, help me.
My psychiatrist gave up on me and just throw me some xanax sometimes risperdal but they don't work much.

Oh, and every physical dr (GI, Hormonal, Traditional docs) gave up on me too.
Tags: odor, strange, IBS
Hello there!

I think it is very telling that the people who are around you (and people who care about you and would be honest with you) do NOT smell anything.  You THINK strangers around you are smelling you, but that just may be a psychological reaction, because YOU think you smell, so you think they smell it too, and you feel self conscious.

What do you mean nurses can smell it?  How many other people, besides you, and not including strangers, have verified that they smell something?  How do they describe it?

While there is no doubt that certain medical conditions and diseases cause different odors, you've seemingly had a lot of very thorough work ups from many different specialists, and again, it is just too significant to ignore that really, YOU are the only one who smells this.

I'm sure you are frustrated and I'm sure you genuinely believe this is going on (and it might be, obviously I can't say either way), but my own personal assessment is that perhaps this IS indeed psychological in nature.  It could be olfactory hallucinations, it could be an exaggerated perception of a very subtle normal body odor.  It sounds like perhaps when you stayed in the "hot" country, something happened there that changed you.  Maybe due to the circumstances, when you WERE having BO and other issues, you became so overly sensitive to it and upset by it, that you were sort of left traumatized?

I'm not saying that you're crazy, and I feel for you, but with all the medical assessments you've had, and the fact that no one close to you smells it, really points more toward something pyschological in nature.  Have you tried therapy?  How about any other meds besides Xanax?

I wish I had something better to tell you, but that's my hunch.  I think it wouldn't hurt for you to dive into mental health treatment, give it a try.  In the very least, if the smell is real and undiagnosed, you need support to get you through this. I'm sure it is affecting every aspect of your life.

Very best of luck to you!
Hello there!

Very best of luck to you!
I really appreciate your thoughtful reply.

Yes I have to sort it out whether this is psychological or somehow physical problem.

But things happening around me is really confusing, I'm not sure which is real anymore.

For example, one day I went to theater with my close friend, she is brutally honest so if I smelled she would have been angry or told me directly. but she looked very comfortable with me and when I asked if I stunk, she said 'not a bit'.
But strange thing is, a guy sat next to me (other side was my friend) covered his nose with his hand during whole movie. For two hours movie, who in the world would plug his nose unless there was some smell around?  

Other day also in a theater, a woman sat next to me leaned to opposite direction so desperately, she nearly became one with the theater wall avoiding me.

and one day, I was waiting subway train, then a middle aged man came to me and said bluntly 'what a young woman smell like this urine smell?'
I was so ashamed and walked away from the man,
and 30 minutes later, I met one of my friend, asked whether I smell like urine. She said 'You are crazy.'

It's becoming long post but I'll just stick one more experience.
While I was working as a clerk in a store, a couple came in store, then suddenly the girl covered her nose saying 'what is this smell' and ran out, while the boyfriend couldn't understand her and bought things and got out.

There are other tones of contradict experiences. Docs saying 'you don't smell' but nurses rolling up the window and saying 'what the hell is this smell' and patients in the waiting room glaring at me with disgust.

This kind of things going on and on everyday and I'm completely lost.

I went to couple of psychologist and had medications. Lexapro(ssri's) made the smell worse, xanax made me calm and smell less, risperdal made symptoms a bit better but didn't work much, and counselling for 6 mounths didn't fix anything. (Oh, all the psychologists couldn't smell anything either.)

I'm still in this mess, not sure whether I really stink or imagining or am I dreaming or already dead. (I tried near suicide attempt but woke up without any damage.)

Anyway thank you for reading this long post and analyzing this with concern, your concerned reply gave me a bit strength.

I wish all these were hallucinations. I do.
OCD can definitely make you see, hear, and feel things that aren't there.  I'm wondering how many of these occurences are perceived and actually truly happened.  The reason I say that is because I 'feel' or 'perceive' things happening that aren't real a lot.  The reason I know they aren't real is because my boyfriend and family members who witness things as well tell me it didn't happen.  For instance, yesterday, I truly thought a guy in the car next to me spit on my car.  Why would he do that?  I don't know and it didn't really happen but my brain said it did.  I think you can trust your friends who tell you that you don't smell and continue to experiment with medications until you find one that helps.
I can only imagine how frustrating and upsetting this would be.  TreTre's reply above is interesting.  It sheds some light on the fact that similar occurences have happened to her (not smell related), and her loved ones validated for her that the things didn't happen.  That's reassuring.

You know what...I think maybe a good "test" for you to do will be, next time you are with your friends or family, and think someone is acting a certain way towards you (or holding their nose, or trying to put distance between you and them), ask your loved one what they see.  You know your loved ones will be honest with you.

I still think the fact that none of your freinds and family can smell it is very  telling to me.  It's just hard to ignore that.  You know they would tell you.  It really sounds like more of an exacerbated self conscious issue based on your past experiences.  I suggest continuing to work with both your mental health team, and your doctors.

I sincerely hope you find some answers and some peace soon.
I know OCD can make me delusional to some point, but I don't THINK or FEEL things. I SEE and HEAR and SMELL actually.

Before this, I usually didn't care about what people talk about me. I kinda had thick face before this symptom.
Of course after this symptom broke out, i started to suspect whether people are talking about me.

What I'm experiencing is, people say to my face 'you smell like urine' or stare at me saying 'what the hell is that smell..' or actually glare at my eyes straight(too straight i can't even turn my eyes away) with scowling face. I can't ignore these reactions. It's not what i think or feeling, I see and hear them.

if these are delusions, I'm not OCD but schizophrenia.

But i appreciate your reply, it's natural that you reasoned my problem as delusion, my symptom looks really like some hallucinations.

I hope your ocd get better too and be healthy, thx tretre.

You and TreTre have some point. Yes, close people can't smell and they are not lying.
So based on that, I tried to ignore people's reaction, believing everything is just my obsession.

But when you hear someone honest like 12 years old boy suddenly sniff around me and become nauseate saying 'Yuck, what is this smell, yuck.'
You CAN'T ignore that. ( I was the only one around there and no trash can nor any dirty building)

and one day, i was at cafeteria with my friend, suddenly i smelt some rotten baby poo smell around me, then a woman at the close table said 'who **ited? what is this smell?' but my friend said 'what smell are you talking about?'

It's like... 'people I love or close' and 'people i don't like or strangers' live in the SEPERATED DIMENSION. Not kidding.

Am i becoming schizophrenia?

But you're right I have to work on with people who try to help me.
I still talk with my friends about my problem sometimes (they're becoming annoyed though) and right now i'm short of money to get counselling but when I get money maybe I'll restart it again.

Thank you guys, just venting on this board and getting responses itself relieve me much.

Another day to go ahead, . Thx.
Here is a recent article I read

http://www.brainphysics.com/olfactory.php

Not sure if it will be of help or not but I do agree with Nursegirl and TreTre that you need to rely on your close friends to tell you the truth.  The other people may be as TreTre said, she thought somebody spit on her car when in fact nobody did and so perhaps you are thinking people are saying things that they are actually not.  You can also test this theory when you are out with friends as well.  Ask them if the person said what you think you heard.  
Hopefully you can get back to therapy soon, I think that is a great starting place for you.

I don't necessarily think you're dellusional, but there is some merit in what TreTre says.  She has experienced situations she thought were very real, when her friends told her it never happened.  Maybe something similar is going on with you.  A situation like this would certainly cause a lot of paranoia, and paranoia itself can lead to dellusional type thinking.  If *I* thought I smelled and everyone else smelled me, I would be in the same place you are, actually probably worse.  

Also, if your interactions with people AREN'T real and are some kind of dellusion, that doesn't mean you have Schizophrenia.  There are so many different mental disorders out there, some being very complex, and some people having more than one disorder.  Extreme stress and paranoia, and feeling super self conscious would be enough to cause that.  That is why you need to be under the care of a psychiatrist.

Here's another suggestion.  Call up a few teaching hospitals or universities and explain what has been going on, that you indeed truly think there is an odor that has not yet been idenitified or a cause found, and that others are thinking this is more a psychological problem.  Medical schools and hospitals are sometimes interested in studying perplexing cases, and you may get some new opinions and a fresh viewpoint, and possibly some answers.  It's definitely worth a try.  

Very best to you, my heart goes out to you, I cannot imagine the turmoil.
I already know about ORS, but thx for attaching articles.

I WISH I were ORS,
ORS is the reason why my psychologist prescribed me risperdal, it's a known med worked for ORS for some patients-- my doc said.
but the drug didn't work for me, so my psychologist gave up on me and said 'just try to relax' and kept throwing me risperdal and xanax.

ORS is just a name attached to something docs can't understand.
Even if I have that syndrome, there is rarely any cure.

But thx for your reply, JGF25, and when strangers make comments, my friends deny what they heard. maybe I'm living in a 3.5 dimension world.
Thx for your suggestion, but where I live in there is no hospital or medical institution interested in local people's trivial(?) symptoms. They are usually interested in a massive plague break out. :)

What I don't understand is I'm usually very thick faced person, not much self-conscious, even when people complain about my outfits or attitudes or personality, but when about 30 people in the subway compartment suddenly look at me at the same time with disgusted looks, it makes me not self-conscious but terrified and confused. (Not kidding. all people looked at me same time like it was a scene in a horror movie.)

I'm still a bit thick faced about other things like my appearance or stained clothe or eczema on my skin. Only smell things make me crazy.

I'll just save some money and back to the counselling I guess.

Thx again nursegirl, at least I could vent here and people replied me.
hey i can relate to u thats why i even came to this site.When i take xanax but only then i get this weird smell about me.I can just take one and smell it but i just figure its my liver.Its a smell i cant even describe but i dont have insurance so i"ve  never had it checked out.I dont think your crazy at all try getting your liver checked.
In one of your posts you wrote that you had a suicide attempt. This is a very serious issue and you must get help for that before you worry about body odour. The fact that you attempted suicide is a very very serious issue and you cannot ignore that. There is something else going on with you that is causing these feelings and I cannot urge you more strongly to go get help for that now.

If you have been checked out medically and there is nothing in fact wrong with you then you have to explore the physcological side of things.

The thing that sticks out the most to me from all of your posts is that you are ALONE when someone says something to you, or when the comment about a smell, or when you notice them staring at you... it makes me think that maybe these things are not really happening.

You are posting in an OCD forum and I am not sure that your issue is OCD at all. I applaud you for trying to get answers and of course we can try or best to help and we will, but we are not Dr's and we only know how we feel based on our symptoms and those are OCD.

I cannot help but think that if you smelled bad enough to smell up an entire metro car, that your friends, family and Dr's would have been able to smell you. I can speak from experience when I say that most people will ignore something like that rather than stare down the person with disgust. I really have a hard time imagining 30 people all staring at you with disgusted looks. I think you may have to take a step back and realize that this could actually NOT be happening.

When you become hyper sensitive to an issue or when you are on the defensive and lookout for certain behaviours you can actually convince yourself that it is there. I myself have a fear of blood and have actually thought that I have seen red spots on clothing that are not actually there as confirmed by my husband. The mind is a very powerful thing.

I think you are convincing yourself that things are happening that really are not actually going on. You need to get help for these thoughts and for the thoughts of suicide, right away.

In the meantime enjoy the time you spend with family and friends if they want to hang out with you and they don't think you smell, then enjoy that. But please, get help.
Every word you have said about the smell that follow you is true. and I am sure that that smell is not yours. Do you know why because its change. To be honest with try be near anonyme that is not heyogenic you will remark that his smell is around you.

How old are you ? are you a former smoker ? Do you know why I ask you these questions because your body start eliminating ditox ( ditoxification )
its smell is not bad but it attract the smell around that why you becomes
victime like me and you.

You remark even you have just had a shower. Do you know why because of your breathing of ditoxifications that attract the odor. I have exprienced this over years and years. look stay in room that is not your room one night or severals ours with out air. Close it and go out and take shower and to the room you will remark that the room smell is more stronger than before and this easly detected by the room owner.

I am sorry Enlish is not my native languedage to explain you more but I will try to give more dtails if you interested or agree with me untel now.
I have the same problem than you, No it is not in your head, I also get these reactions from sale clerks and even the doctors offices receptionist, I have been told that i need a enema by her. My husband and a few friends do not smell me; while many have simply stop talking to me even avoiding me at all cost. I have been tested for trimethylmuneria it came back borderline. I follow the diet recommended it helps. The FDA has it posted on the internet it is a low choline diet. Watch out for choline in any of your supplements.I also need a low residual diet i with it.
WAIT!!!! Hold EVERYTHING!! Ah HA at least someone replied something intelligent,sorry gotta say it. Misskunky has a point with the choline I am going to begin that BUT Listen to my situation I didnt see anyone mention it.First I have the IDENTICAL SAME symptoms you mentioned bending down and smelling the chemicals and smells INSIDE your body coming right out of your skin.Guess what.IT IS!! I had a Systemic Candidaisis infection where you get an Overgrowth of Candida yeast/Fungus.It sends out roots from inside glands and wherever bowel linings etc.It has made me like a freaking super pourous swiss cheese micro screen door in submarine.All my hormones where going everywhere (still are).I took 6 Diflucan pills 100mg each 6 days in row and I got the Herkhiemer Reaction its the "DIE-OFF" of the yeast they give off 79 different toxins when they die and when the mutate.They can mimic your normal hormones and make blocker cells to stop your body from working for you and they can make you work for them!! I **** you NOT!! I even believe it explains all my problems since BIRTH.My Mom was infected in the womb from my older brother pregnancy so My condition is called (if i'm correct)" In Vitro" but WAIT,back to subject.I think Ive killed the yeast went on no suger eradication diet and probiotics and Oxyflush peroxide drink so NOW as I asked my DRs "when these things die as they were occupying space in my cells skin glands organs everything brain blood vessels,then what is going to be left an empty space or decayed black crap that bacteria could move right in or even be buried in the yeast just waitng to be released if yeast dies?" They go I dunno? It will be OK they said just pink tissue will grow right back.******** Dudes.My lung xray appeared normal no black areas but one guy said I may have schleroderma because it looked to white like lung walls were thick like leathery,I suggested that that was the thick layer of yeast growing all over in there and they go " I dunno about that and put it down" Haha Oh **** man Youre killin me,ya know that is exactly what they are doing.I went to an "Environmental" clinic in Charleston and they ordered additional testing that my reg DRs will not order and it showed THYROID and probably Adrenal STRESS.Maybe from infections and immune system attacking Yeast once it recognized it.My glands were going apeshit one hurts and swells up one day then another.I have had Narcolepsy/Cataplexy for about a year and thats from the Pituitary malfunctioning its a Sleep Disorder.Anyway GET YOUR DR TO CHECK YOUR THYROID they will do the standard panels first but tell them you want to CONTINUE the study with a T-3 T-4 and the more close study of your IRON storage hormone FERRITIN.This disorder has run amuk on me and NOW I DONT HAVE ANY PAIN.15yrs on Narcotics for chronic pain Arthritis spine deform Fibromyalgia poly peripheral Neuropathy All common symptoms of the adrenal and thyroid stress and gland issues prolly from yeast and other infections.Its a LOT of reading and research and VERY TOUGH to find DRs that will listen to ya but READ up on this stuff cause I MEAN I HAVE the EXACT SAME SMELL issues.Some smell it and puke and sneeze and cough and choke and others dont smell it.That nurse that commented made it sound like a DRs opinion she didnt seem to acknoledge the 100's of people that DID smell it and reacted ARE THEY CRAZY? Imean as soon as u walk in the room people start gagging did your insanity suddenly jump out of your brain into theirs? ********!! They do not want to admit that medical education is not adequate for todays needs.The population is doubling and diseases mutating every second of every day and they are NOT keeping pace.THEY IGNORE THE SYMPTOMS.They see what they want.If they dont look at you then they can say they didnt see it.Well Ive tried Iron and Iodine and all the Anti oxidants and adrenal support and skin suppliments trying to rebuild the tissue maybe the smells will go away.I have found NO help from what I do or dont eat.But the Choline is definatly something to look at or try diet.No more Ice Cream I geuss.The Immunologist is who diagnosed the candida and hypothyroidism but I am going to an Endocrinologist and back to a GI for colonoscopy but the smells when I bend over ,man when I read that and people just a half second later clear across room start gaging and banging cause they want me away from them.My Dr tried to send me to Psychiatry I SAID F*&^% That GET THAT OFF my medical file or I will have a JUDGE do it.I was pissed.They are NOT pullin that **** on me! Sorry for my French there but It is MY LIFE and NO QUALITY OF that we are talkin about here.
I have never heard of that before.  Thanks for posting and hopefully sleepmonster will see it.  Hoping you get better soon.  
I too hope the OP sees your reply.  He's already had very extensive medical work-ups, but it never hurts to check out every avenue.  It's an interesting theory to say the least.  I've had a lot of experience with fungal infections and yeast infections in the almost 19 years I've been a nurse, but I've never heard of anything quite like what you're explaining.

I have to mention that many of us suggesting the problem is psychological in nature is not meant to be some kind of insult, or it's not like we're just dismissing him as crazy.  We're offering our opinions based on the info the OP has given us.  

It IS hard to believe that an entire subway car full of people would be "staring him down" because of an odor, for a few reasons.  One, actually, MOST people wouldn't be that outwardly rude, they would try to NOT draw attention to that person.  Also, ALL of those people notice it, yet when he's with close friends and family, sitting RIGHT next to him in a theater, and he asks them if THEY can smell what HE smells, they all say NO.  That's VERY hard to discount.

Like I said originally, whether the cause is physiological or psychological, he would still benefit from seeking some professional help, as I'm sure his anxiety levels are high, and I'm sure he would be feeling very depressed.

I would LOVE to see an udpate from this guy at some point.  I sure hope he figured something out.  It's a very unfortunate situation, and I feel very badly for him.
I work for a large retail company and everyone is rude and avoid me. It is to the point that I sit in my car for breaks and lunch because no one wants to be around me. I am ashamed and embarrassed. I have chemical smells coming through my pores as well. I went to every specialist and giving so much blood that I could fill a blood bank and the findings were undetected. I believe my family do not smell it because they are in the home for the most part with other aromas.this thing does make you want to drop off the face of the world but that would only benefit the people that ridiculed you.I have tried probiotic herbs changing diets supplements, baking soda and Epsom salt and to no avail.what do a person do when the specialist do not take you seriously? Yet I struggle daily to help provide for my home. This is a case where I could stay at home instead of going into the world but that is economical
Impossible.
I can identify with the experiences posted here. I was incredibly smelly and gross. I knew that people hated me for it, avoided me, talked about me, and refused to acknowledge that there was an odor emanating from me (my mouth, my body, my crotch, etc). As it turns out, I do have digestive issues having to do with an autoimmune condition (narcolepsy), that contribute to slightly different tastes and smells that I produce, as well as a slightly altered perception of tastes and smells.

I would like to emphasize, however, that my recovery from the knowledge that the world is disgusted by me has not depended so much on various diagnoses of my illnesses but on a long and laborious process of holistic therapy that challenges worldviews. It has taken me years of work to come to the realization that my perceptions are not actual fact, and that my value is not dependent upon other people's conceptions of me anyway.

This may all seem very 'wuwu,' but I spent an unfortunate amount of my life knocking things before I tried them. I would contemplate an approach, think it through to the end, and come to the conclusion that it wouldn't work for me. What was not, in fact, working was my approach to life. I somehow wrested myself away from my self-absorption and began to tackle my problems head on. Everything that I experienced was very real and totally debilitating. Yet I managed to comprehend that action must be taken if I wanted to change. My progress has involved 12-step programs, traditional talk therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) therapy, acupuncture, changes in diet and eating habits, psychiatric medications, disabilities services, organizational coaching, yoga, sleep diagnoses, physical check-ups and tests, massage therapy, spirituality, etc. I've had to carve out my own way. I'm happy to report that my life is not perfect, but I'm no longer stagnating and am growing and able to manage a healthy lifestyle.

And I no longer smell because I recognize that I never actually did. And even if I did reek, the chaos that was my life would not have reasonably been the result of it. If people aren't taking you seriously, talk to other people. Connect. Share your experiences and continue to ask for help until you find the right place (and then keep at it). It's probably already a huge relief to have found that this happens for other people (I never found this resource or ones like it until I had struggled with my issues alone). Other people want to help you, or they wouldn't respond. Take them up on it.

Best of luck!
Thx for reply,...but I'm not sure I understood you right..
Are you saying you actually never smelled but there was something wrong with your perception?

I mean, the talking behind your back and the disgusted looks on people and the actual smell you felt was all hallucination or paranoid?

Man, I REALLY REALLY WISH all this was just twisted obsession. I'm not being sarcastic-- it's just your solution is too good to be true. (though the long therapy costed much money wouldn't have been easy for you)

I really wish you were right.

Anyway, my mental therapy lasted for months but failed with no result.
Though your post gives me a dim light that this all might be just my delusion.
You are living exactly same life I'm living.
Though I don't have much co-workers around me, still everyone avoids me that's the hardest part.

The reason I can't think this is all delusion, PEOPLE ACTUALLY AVOID ME and MAKE FACE or MAKE RUDE COMMENTS.
That's not something you can ignore.

Will there be any cure for us? (SIGH)
Hi, nice to see you again,

I still couldn't find cure :( Sad.

One thing I agree with you is, I used to have some degree of yeast or fungal infection(normal range) but this symptom is new. and my tongue is very pink sometimes blazing red.
but I have to browse maxxpain's post again, it's as long as my original post.

One thing I don't agree with you is about people's cruelty. They CAN stare at someone for some reason and make rude comments. Not only to me, but I saw several situations like that before. Maybe my town is not so kind as yours.

Anyway your ongoing concern is much appreciated. I'm reading everyone's post here again. Wow my post is really long even I can't read it at once.

If I find something I'll update :) Thx
Wow MaxxPain, your post is so long as my original post, and too many thing to read, I have to read it carefully for a long time but I catch what you mean with yeast problem or tyroid problem.

I'm not sure you cured your symptom yet? There is no space bar or enter it's hard to know in that post...

Well, I thought about yeast thing but many people said 'it keeps coming back and the strongest antifungal medicine couldn't kill them'
If your yeast theory is right,
we really need NEW ANTIFUNGAL medicine.
or they are mutated to be detected in this world. That's scary.

And about thyroid problem...
I have to read the post again, sorry, need time to think about your post.

But thx for your suggestions and theories, I'll look over all the possibilities and study it. Hope your problem is cured or be cured soon.
Be Well!

It's sad to hear that my symptom(like yours) is not a delusion........

People around me react so real, I can't think it's psychological problem...
Though everyone close to me say that I'm crazy. (well, not using the word 'crazy', but you can read between lines)

I want to cry everyday.
Hope your life and mine get better soon,
Maybe I'll try low choline diet, I don't think I'm TMAU but I always heard I show some symptoms my liver is weak (though no disease was found)

Thx for sharing, Be strong! :(
I don't understand you correctly.. not because of your English but the new concept of this disease.

Are you saying I attract smells around me because of some matters my body emanates to detoxify?
hm.... Never heard of it but I'm interested.

I don't smoke, do drink small amount, don't like meat or greasy foods, don't like spicy foods or heavy foods. I indulge sweets but that's my only bad habit. I don't know... there are many people who drink like a whale but don't have this problem...
I don't exercise much because the symptoms get worse.

I still don't get it that I'm attracting smells... Can you explain more?
Thanks you for replying :)

I appreciate you concern,
but the attempt was not serious one, erm....I don't think it's allowed to describe how to commit suicide in medhelp.org so I won't talk about details,
but I didn't even went to ER. I mentioned about attempt just to tell people how devastated I was. (just some drug and wine that was all and I woke up very much alive...)

I agree that I need help.
But my psychiatrist gave up on this problem and only try to find flaws in my family or talk about my anger problem. I want to talk about smell problem but she shut down on that so I gave up, she gave up, and the money ran out, I have quit visiting her.

As I said gastro problem rulled out, no rectal problem, no serious skin problem(though have some rashes but not smell related)
Now Dr's don't want to see me anymore.
Even alternative doctors don't want to deal with this or admit my problem. and their medicine all failed or worsened this.

I grilled everyone on this problem so hard, now my family and friends and doctors don't even want to talk about it or deal with me.

I really need help,
But I'm starting to think that only aliens can help me now (if they visit us) :(

I don't know what to do when doctors gave up on me.
So now I'm searching internet everyday for any clue, that's all I can do.

I appreciate again your concern about my life, I don't think I would do that again,
Thx :)
Hey! I'm not alone again, nice to meet you

I have insurance so I checked my liver, but doctors said my liver is FINEEEEE. :(
at least if it's my liver I could cure it but the hope is vague.

I have enough antibodies, no sign of any hepatitis or liver failure.
I insisted further test but doctors said 'You're hypochondriac'

It's strangely glad to hear that I'm not crazy and the smell is real.............Though I want it be a delusion.
It's not that I didn't smell per se. I didn't smell nearly as bad as I thought I did, and I thought normal human odors that I emitted were horrendous (basically, that any natural smell coming from me was, in fact, not natural and really off-putting). The responses from other people were all paranoia and hallucination. However, being a hallucinating, paranoid person will elicit weird responses from people. So, I was actually acting weird in response to my perception that they were acting weird, which made a lot of people wary around me. So if people are reacting negatively to you, it's probably because it's very obvious that you're having some neurotic thoughts.

As for the therapy, it is not adequate to try for months and to say that it has failed. I searched for a long time for a therapist that I could work with, and only became trusting enough to actually be truthful with her after about six months. I've been working on this (and other) issue(s) for years, and am only recently having really significant results (the psychological pain eased before now, but now I'm really making progress).

Please don't give up on the idea that it's a psychosomatic issue. Even if the smell isn't there for other people, that doesn't mean it's not real to you. A combination of medications (prescribed by a psychiatrist) and a therapist (try CBT or EMDR) and a lot of hard work on your part, will hopefully get rid of the smell for you. To really communicate what's going on to your prospective therapists, print out this comment thread, highlight the parts that you wrote, and underline the parts of other people's comments that you agree with/want to know more about. Bring this to your first appointment and give it to him/her with your patient information form.

I do appreciate your suggestion and I really thought about and am thinking about that I might be paranoid,

But my brain keeps asking me,
'If power of mind is so powerful, how can you tell which is delusion and which is not? and why do I get that reaction and smell even when I was really relaxed and was not thinking about smell?'

First couple of months, I didn't even know I smelled bad. I thought I'm doing well holding my gas, but people started to stare back at me ( there was only me no one was behind or beside) and avoid me moving to other seats or compartment.
I used to be thick face before this happened, I used to not care even when there was real body odor from not showering for days. I was not hypersensitive to BO before this symptom.

I'm starting to think..... no offense I'm just thinking,
that your psychiatrists decided not to believe anything you say, so they stomped your idea of smell except normal things they can 'believe.'
They slowly brainwashed you to believe 'unnatural things are all just paranoid' and your brain start to think 'I'm OK' even when there is actual smell.
Maybe people less react because you act confidently, they maybe disregard some smell when you smile and be kind.
(there are some people who are nice to me, even while they keep choking and covering their nose)

Yeah the last paragraph looks like I'm really paranoid and making conspiracy.

I didn't mean to be rude, just suggesting man,
because there were so many times I thought I was cured but the wind blow to my direction and I realize there is smell and I remember the person that morning who looked couldn't breathe well around me.

http://************.com/blog/archives/2010/05/27/do-you-think-you-smell-olfactory-reference-syndrome/

What is interesting to me is this statement  "More than three-quarters (77%) thought others took special notice of them."

I'm not a doctor and so I cannot say that everyone who thinks they smell really don't.  I'm sure there are disorders that do cause people to eminate a smell but I think if you have ruled out all of the physical possibilities, then you are left with the psychological and this syndrome seems to fit the bill.  
To response this, I want to add something about how I realized I smelled bad.

In my country people are not so polite. When I was in the foreign country western people were so nice to me I didn't know I smelled or not.
But after I returned to my home country, people said out loud or at least audibly "Don't fart in public place you *****." or "She smells uh....doesn't she shower at all?" or stare at me with GLARING EYES or "Damn f**king smell... uh..." or "What's wrong with her?"
I didn't mention this in upper post because it was too long already.

In my country people are very straightforward, when they feel something uncomfortable they say it even to strangers face.
Many guys here hate fat girls, when they see fat girls, some of them spit on the ground and say "elephants should not be outside."
You can't believe it? Trust me, we people are famous for being rude.

Of course there are many good mannered nice people too, or I couldn't be even alive by now...

I just want to say, ORS is too good option for me when people stare back at me until I run away to other alley. Or when they say "That ***** smells."
I don't take offense to your theory about my situation. I know, however, that I've returned to reality enough now to know that it is not the case that my psychiatrists are colluding to brainwash themselves and me. As a woman who has gone through the process of emerging from paranoia myself, I understand that it's hard to believe other people's interpretations of their own experiences. It's hard to develop trust when we perceive that everyone is conspiring against us. I do think what JGF25 notes about the link is very powerful. I imagined entire conversations.

If you were to move forward to treat this problem, regardless of whether the smell is real, what would you do? I think that is the more relevant issue here. The smell will or will not go away. You can change how you deal with it either way.
I am having this exact problem. Even right now! I am clean & never had bo or anything!! Wtf is happening to us!?! I'm OCD as well so I'm sure we make it worse in our heads but yes it's real! I'm healthy, eat good, workout, only sleep w/ my bf. I'm flabbergasted! Help!
To everyone that thinks this is a psychological problem - stop saying that because it is not.  I have been on many sites and there are hundreds of people with this problem. There aren't any Dr.'s out there that have been able to help, I have been to GI's, endocrinologist, internists, all say they have never heard of it, which is so hard to believe because it seems more and more people have this condition.  I have had every workup imaginable, the first time I had this I did not know the odor was from me because I could only smell it in my car once in a great while, but absolutely everyone else commented except my partner.  I think it must be that you are more comfortable with some people, don't know or they are lying so as not to hurt your feelings. Anyway, I went to 8 different Drs. and had many tests done, all came back normal but I was given antibiotics for a sinus infection and the smell went away for 4 yrs. then came back.  I again was given antibiotics and the smell went away again, but came back.  I continued to take antibiotics and the smell would go away, but I'm afraid now that I have taken too many and now have a yeast problem.  As far as people being rude, they are very rude especially if there is a foul odor. Every naturalist I have gone to wants to put me on a diet, which I have done, and the last one was very low carb and I ended up with ketones in my urine and Dr. yelled at me and said that I had ketosis due to starvation (even though I ate 3 meals a day) and that did in fact cause a bad smell.  Something is causing this, don't know if it might be staph infection or leaky gut or what, but Drs. have no sympathy and don't want to hear about something they obviously cannot fix.
Go to the site Mebo research, very interesting, but unfortunately not good news for us since their research is limited.
I have the same problem and I totally believe It's not something that exist only in your head. But there's one more thing about my problem: it really is psychological, I mean it only happens while I'm around large group of people I'm not close to. As soon as I get home ashamed, hating myself, I can't feel that certain smell anymore, I don't feel it while I'm with close friend or family too, and I'm pretty sure I dont smell at these moments. I can't even talk to them about it çause it's soo weird...But it's real. Highschool was like hell to me because of this thing. People avoided me and just used to think that I don't have a shower or something. And I showered (and I still do) like 2 or 3 times a day, washed my jeans after I wore them once or twice and so on... and that whole sh*t stopped for a while, when I finished highschool and people around me weren't so rude and I felt better about myself... But I still feel it sometimes and it hurts, it just hurts to remember all the things I've been through because of it, all that shame, and that it could get back anytime... and it happened yesterday and today too, so I just wrote my symptomps on google and tried looking for help... so please answer me, anyone that knows what I'm talking about.
I have the same problem as well. My smell is not urine it is like anus. I am 15 years old and in high school. As you can tell i am around people most of the day. I literally smell as if i did not shower, yet i shower 3 times a day. My parents or anyone at home cant smell me, but at school i can smell  myself and i can tell others do as well. From facial expressions to comments made behind my back. I have been to two doctors and they checked me and said that there was nothing wrong with me. The next day it continued, the smell was still there. Its like i have 30 minutes after a shower to not smell bad. The doctors both told me that i am over thinking it and thats its only in my head. It's not, the doctors couldn't smell me either. I have no friends due to my smell and nothing to look forward. I am in great shape for a 15 year old. ( i weigh 124 pounds and i am 5 feet, 3 inches). I too have tried to end my life due to this problem, i failed to do so. i have been to the school counselor here and there about it and they don't know what to do anymore. i have tried everything from antibacterial soap to antiperspirants for that area. i also sweat abnormally from my anus.( what i thought to be the problem at first) but it wasn't. Tomorrow Being Saturday Dec 01. From there i already know what they are going to tell me AGAIN, but this time i will ask for a referral to a dermatologist( specializes on skin ) to see if that is what causing it. If not i guess i will have to keep suffering until i find an answer. I will gladly post my results of tomorrow to both try to help and try to find help. Thank you everybody    
have been struggling from last five years searching every medical forum daily..... someone please help us... my family thinks its all in my head but during job or in subway people say to my face that I stink. :(

Everything disappears when I am with friends or family.
You have ammonia in your body from gastro issues. I would suggest detoxing it out with Ornithine, Arginine and Lysine.  Contact me if you have questions.  ***@****
What are you feeling?  
Guys.. Finally i've found a discussion i can relate to.. I've kind of same issue but not at the level where people have started to avoid me..

I actually started recently... And it happens only when i get nervous or stressed... Particularly while meeting my clients.. I've noticed that my body suddenly release a toxic smell.. More like rotten milk whenever i get stressed. My close friends or family are not able to notice it bcoz i don't get stressed when I'm with them.

just now 2 hours back i went to see a client and suddenly while speaking to her i felt an awkward smell and also noticed that she started getting steps back towards the door and almost wrapped up the conversation and left while making an excuse of being busy....

no idea from where its getting released or why... I've even smelled my clothes afterwards... But they are clean and smell my deo not the smell i can feel suddenly around me when i get stressed or nervous..

Anyone knows what that could be?
Hi I have OCD too and I have this same problem. I always smell it coming from me and I'm really self conscious about it now. Like you, I've been accused of farting, had people around me ask me what that smell was, and I've been to the Psych., Gastroenterolgist, Gynocolgyst, etc...some people can  smell it but many, like my boyfriend and my family can't. I don't know what it is, but I noticed it always seems to start when i'M real stressed or anxious, or when I'm going through something negative.  People who have OCD don't hallucinate...they obsess, over exaggerate, and have compulsive or ritualistic behaviors. You're not crazy. I'm happy someone else smells it too. And the smell changes and it Does follow you. There is only one thing, besides everything mentioned before and it does sound crazy, but you mention before the word aura, and  it got me thinking about the presence of a bad spirit wanting to cause harm or trouble. Just some spiritual insight on the topic. Thank you for sharing. I'm flag someone else has the same problem.
I agree with you. Though I appreciate other people's opinion, OCD people don't hallucinate. We just over exaggerate, think or define things in different way, but we're very realistic at 'observing and sensing' something.

I think we have OCD because we're more keen to the small things people can't detect or doesn't regard.

I don't 'think' I stink, I 'heard' and 'saw' people say something bad or react to my smell.

About aura, I sometimes think it's about possession or demonic too! But there's nothing I can do if it were a spiritual thing.
I'm studying chinese medicine and ayurveda myself, but the reference I can investigate is limited.

One thing I have found useful is, in ancient chinese paper there is a line saying 'When your heart is weak your qi(aura) seeps out of you'
...though not exact translation.

And there are old chinese references saying, 'heart governs all emotions, up to emotions your body shows several physical symptoms.'

In some papers(not sure it was chinese or ayurvedic) says, 'heart materializes emotions to physical diseases.'

But my wits end here. I don't know what to do even if it were emotional disease. Hope my reply helped you.
Hello people,
It was nice to read all your experiences, it feels so familiar to me. Here is my story:
I started to think I stink since my adolescence started. I started to sweat enormously, and still do till now. It was a horrible time in high school. The sweat was just dripping from my underarms all the time, so sometimes I just passed lessons sitting at home. I took a shower 2 or 3 times per day, and usually I had to go home to take a shower and change my t-shirt during the break between lessons. I was using all kinds of antiperspirants, none of them didn't work. I knew I had awful smell. After ten years of living in horror I found out I am not alone with this problem and this disorder is called hyperhydrosis. I found some extremely strong antiperspirants like driclor, which blocks the sweat glands, so I don't sweat from my underarms anymore. Nevertheless, I started sweating in other parts of the body, my back and other areas are always wet. I know that it all comes from my anxiety in social enviroment, since I developed social anxiety because of the hyperhydrosis.
When I am among people, I begin to panic because of my possible bad odour, I feel very hot and start to sweat. And this of course evokes bad body odour. I know that all this is just in my head. I do not smell before I start to feel very hot and sweaty. Nevertheless, I always feel anxious between people, and overreact to their sniffing ot coughing. It is all an illusion and a psychological issue. Believe me, if you don't have TMAU, and if you are not sweating or feel hot in social enviroment, you do not have a bad body odour. It's all in our heads.
The first person I asked about my bad odour was my mom. I asked here thousands of times, and the answer was always the same: "No, you don't". I thought since she was living with me, she cannot smell me anymore, so I didin't believe her.
I had a friend who was always touching his nose when near me and somehow sniffing all the time. I was 100% sure, that he can smell my bad BO. And after some years I finally asked him about my bad odour, and he replied: "Are you crazy, I have never felt any bad odour from you, I am always sniffing my nose for some reason". That was such a relief and after thar first time in my life I realized that all this could be just my illusion. However, years passed but social anxiety was still with me and I was always feeling smelly between people. I still cannot get rid of this obsession, but at least I know that 90 % of time I do not smell and all this is just an illusion. How do I know? Because I have asked about my bad body odour more than 10 people, and they all said my I did not stink. Only one time during very hot day when I was very sweaty and wet, my friend said: "god, you use so much perfume". And she was right. I always use much antiperspirant and other perfume. And when I sweat, this perfume odour becomes really intense. The last time I asked about my body odour was few days ago. It was Christmas party, and I was sitting next to the unfamiliar girl. All the time I was tracking how she sniff's her nose and tries to keep the distance from me, she was touching the nose all time. I was feeling horrible, I began to panic, started to sweat and knew, that for me party is over. And then I said to myself, "what a heck, If I do smell so badly, I will ask her, then I will apologise for my bad smell and will sit away from her". I said to her "You know, I have some kind of disorder called hyperhydrosis, so I do apologise for my bad odour". And she replied "what odour? I cannot smell any bad odour from you, I am very sensitive to all the smells, but you do not smell at all". Than I asked maybe my perfume smell was too intense, and she denied it. So from all experience I can ensure you, that you do not smell badly. We all overreact to people's behavior and every time we see hand on the nose or hear a sniff, we think we smell badly. I also have IBS, gas bloating and leaky gas sometimes, I realise that I probably smell bad when gas sometimes leaks, but it happend only sometimes, and none of the people have said to my face that I smell bad. However, I have heard people talking about bad smells sometimes, even they were not talking about me, I always thought they were talking about me.
If you do not believe me, the only way to prove yourself you do not smell is to ask as many people as it is possible. I understand that it is hard to ask strangers about your BO, especially when they are talking about some kind of bad smell. But try to ask all of your friends, colleges or nice people you meet about your odour, especially when you think thay feel your imaginary smell. And if most of the people will answer: "Yes,  you do smell badly", only then you can say you have a problem. Till then it is all just in our heads folks. Do not ruin your life, do not just sit and feel sorry for yourself, be brave and ask people about that. You will be pleasantly surprised, believe me :)  Just do it :)
I would like to know more.  Please contact me at my email ***@****
I don't have the same problems that are stated here, but I just wanted you all to know that I've read your posts, and are sending prayers your way. To the OP, it really seems to me that you have enough friends and family telling you that you don't emit any odor that you really need to be ultra vigilant by planning and gong out with friends, (on the subway, theatre etc.) and seeing if they see the same reaction in people that you are seeing. It seems to me that since you have attempted suicide you should be able to get into an outpatient Community Health Center, to talk about the underlying problem of what caused you to consider suicide (which was body odor, real or imagined). If I knew where you were from I would check it out for you. Please don't think of mental health issues or services as a negative thing. It is no different than dealing with cancer, or addiction and I can assure you every one of us has some cross to bare. I hope that you can get this figured out in this new year. I'm praying for all of you.
I have the exact same problem , after a year of dr visits for EVERY type of doctors.. I've almost given up. I think it's a demonic pession now, look at us you guys.. We are constantly in our heads! We are panicking in our minds
I hope you can understand what I mean by this but we are constantly living in our minds fighting an internal war but with what? Something in our minds are taking everything we have from us..  saying to myself "oh my gosh I smell, they can smell me, look at everyone's facial expression, I gotta get outta here" LIKE WHAT'S MAKING US THINK OF THIS!? Cause I know dang well I was 100% perfect a like 2 years ago!

AFTER SO LONG OF STRUGGLING I FINALLY DECIDED TO OPEN UP!
I confided in a good friend who just so happens to a be a Christian. When I told him my situation his heart sank. He told me his dad (the main preacher/ pastor, whatever the right term is) had just went through like 3 of the same situations and that I guess there are 7 signs? He couldn't remember them but he understood what I was going through. He told me that it's all in my mind BUT eventually I do start to stink. He said the ones who actually do love you can't smell you cause they LOVE you
I was doing so research and it got me here.. I know this doesn't make much sense I'm just kinda all over the place right now after reading the article.

It's called a sexual spirit, but I think it's obtainable even outside of sex.... I'll do more research and come back completely prepared and not alllll over the place I hope this article is still fresh and others are still using it

Bye!

i have the exact same problem, im scared of being around people always keeping to myself because it hurts to always see people covering their noses around me or saying rude comments. i dont know where to seek help because im so embarrased, i bathe a lot, put on perfumes, lotions, mind you i have tried it all, even bathed with savlon and dettol thinking it was germ related. but from what i have heard the smell is like that of rotten eggs, sewage. but i dnt sweat a lot and my ampits dnt smell, just this strange ordor that i dnt know what it is. please help me im losing hope..
I have this smell problem it started after years of smoking out the blue. Once I quit smoking the smell finally stopped. To this day if I even take a couple of cigarrette drags or hit the joint a couple times a week later ill get that smell sometimes a day to a week. I thought after so long of not smoking the symptoms would end with just a tiny bit of smoking to test it but sure enough it wont stop. Its not in youre head ive had many people tell me to my face they smelled it. Raw sewage smell and amonia (ammonia) which stops and goes in waves. One second youre talking and boom the whole room will fill up. For me if I dont smoke anything the smell stays away. If U smoke and smell this I suggest to quit smoking because for me it is what caused it. So many damn chemicals in cigarrets drugs etc. Its bound to effect a number of people the same way. Hopefully someone who smokes and doesnt realize its triggering it in them will quit and live a better life.
Thx for your advice, it's really useful to know smoking is a big cause.

But I don't smoke at all, though my father always smoked around me from my born, I inhaled tones of smokes already all my life.

Anyway I don't smoke, rarely drink, don't like meats, don't like heavy foods or spicy things...

Lucky for you, only smoking bothers you, I hope you stay sound and well keeping distance from smoking.
Bad for me, i don't smoke at all... I don't have any more substance or foods to quit anymore... I usually eat simple carbs and vetgetables that's all.
Nutiritional foods botheres me...

Anyway it was good advice thank u~
Sleepmonster, I currently have the same problem. I feel where you Comming from and I kno you ain't lieing. It's Like when you see someone mover away from you and or covering their nose you start to feel like you have a STANK smell or somethings wrong on you body. But when you turn to ask a family memeber or friend they seem not to smell it. And its like their lieing not to hurt you feeling for something but I would like for my family and friend to let me know if I smell but its like they don't like it and strangers do. I really go out and buy different body sprays every week I get paid and that doesn't seem to work. I shower and soak in the tub for 30mins to and hour and that doesn't seem to work either.

Last week when I went out to have fun with my brother and friends for his birthday in a night club and we all standing shoulder to shoulder and I was on the end not in the middle and I just saw people that was standing around me space out and some covering their noses. It really bother me so I went sat down next to a couple and they got up and went to another section. When I was people was moving way and covering their nose it brought my self-esteem down I really think its me. So I pull my best friend to the side first because I know he'll tell me the true. He didn't smell any thing. So I pull ny brother to the side and he said the same thing.

When I also worked at target as an cashier, guess use to cover their nose and some even walk away because it smell so bad.

I never said anything to anybody about my problem because I didn't want people to see me as some ones what weird problem that no one else has.

But when I read your story I felt a little relex but I still don't know what to do about the problem. But soon ill go to my doc and let him know I'm felling.

Reading the feed back from the other people gave me some things to think about. But thanks for opening up to others and letting people kno how you feel. Now I know what I have to do
I have the exact same problem, word for word. When i read thismy eyes almost came out of their sockets. I thought i was crazy too, i can't figure out what it is, just today i was at the doctors and i went to them with my problem and they denied it they just don't seem to wanna help. AND like you said about the nurse, shed could smell it! People a block down can smell it. My family are the only ones who don't smell it, this had cause me to become a bit paranoid.
I have something similar only not strong enough for anyone else to notice.  Intermittantly a chemical ammonia like smell, not fecal at all, with no source area just around me while sitting at a desk.

There are smells that only some people can smell, such as the smell in urine after consuming asparagus..  Those who can't smell it will wonder what I am talking about, those who can smell it are baffled that others can't.

No idea what causes it but glad there are blogs so we don't feel crazy.
good luck
Reading this post almost brought tears to my eyes. I have been struggling the same way since middle school and once I brought it up to a doctor and she started speaking about hygiene. I used to cry in the shower trying to scrub and get rid of this thing to no avail. I can relate to those who said it emits andpeople would make rude comments to me in school,even at jobs. It hurts not being able to live normal and always having that thought that you smell. I thought I was past that stage but I heard my brother's friend say she smells like *** just the other day and it put me into down mood because despite the problems I have always tried to make up for it with personality.
hello my name is kendrix frm philippines and i have the same problem with you .. im really really lost in life that i wanna die cause i know i dont smell bad but as i can see many people know that i smell bad as they choking moving their nose and looking at our house and lookin at me .. its been two years since i stayed at home and never go outside anymore .. well as i read their comments and ur post i feel a little bit relax cause im not the only on facing this problem .. tomorrow i will go physciatrist i suggest it to my family because i cant stand the pain anymore i really really want to be healed .. are you ok know ? pls reply i want to know more how to cure this problem sorry for my english im not good at english im filipino .. thank you..
You are doing the right thing.  See a psychologist...isolation is no way to live and nor should you have to live this way.  Take care. of you!
i just want to ask to all of you who are facing this problem just let me know if u have been cured or healed so u can help us. pls .. just comment ..
do u have the answer now ?
hi im also a high school student like you and i stop because of the same problem i hope you have been cured and healed so u can help me .. pls reply ...
nothing happen
Try the website curezone fecal body odor - lots of people on that site with this same trouble.  Also mytummytantrum.com.
Wow! I do not believe you are crazy at all! I've exclaimed that I wished I was too lately! I'm so sick of my fiance and family looking me like I'm crazy or elling me I'm just taking it to another level...but at work I see people back away from me. I'm a professional 25yr old mom of 3. Lead a very good life but hopelessly searching for answers to why I smell like a fresh warm poop sometimes. IT's not always. Only certain people seem to smell it and places matter too. Look up TMA. And SCD diet. I just bought probiotics tonighht and I'm thinking I have "leaky gut" and my toxins in my body are free flowing and in turn radiating like a fecal odor from my pores. BuT when I smell my skin ...nothing...just an aura!  I've had digestive problems for as long as I can remember. For now, I plan to combat the Candida I believe is poisioning my body.
hello my friend i got a situation like you i hope you have been cured so you can help me ..
I can smell people's liver detoxing. I can tell you what ingredients, drugs, drink or food is trying to work its way out of the liver. I have an excellent sense of smell. All things our bodies ingest have to be metabolized, and some can cause smells that people with acute noses can discern.
Hello guys, I'm OP.

sorry for that I can't reply to every replies because it's becoming too long and I forget in the middle of reading what was I reading...

anyway I thank you guys for answering and sharing, I wanted to say that,

and I found strange thing that can be regarded really mental this time,

I noticed my presence itself exaggerates every smell around me including me. I mean if I'm standing in front of cigarette store, I make the cigar smell gets stronger around me.

Am i becoming crazy?
Just wanted to share it with people who suffer same thing...

Thank you and take care.
Hello people

Been having problems since teenage years I started smelling like rotten eggs and sewage and its totally messed up my life.

It started when i was around 19-20 im now 24 in 4 and half months. I started noticing this by people reactions. When i traveled to college on the bus people holding there noses and sneezing. I think it gets realeased from my body at random times. When on the bus it was very noticable by everyones body language. Also I joined a cadets club people was like whats that smell when we was in a group. after a while one of the members told said to me theres not point you coming here nobody likes you obv i know thats because of the smell not my personaitly. ive had alot of friends in past. and another time got in a car as soon as i got in she said it smells like rotten eggs in near and opened the window. also another time in a car they put fan on and open windoews i think its alot more noticabled in enclosed areas.

now im nearly 24 so left school at 24. didnt get any passes in my exams because i stopped going to school near end of the year and only sat a few exams i've been doing nothing just in the house all the time i don't go out.
Also my parents never said i smell i dont think they can smell but my just once say before my room stinks open the windows. and i cant smell the smell on me.
i am also confirmed about my bad order..flies cover me all the time.

thanks alot for reading.!
I'm OP,,,,
just wanted to ramble here...

Wish i can live alone.. i live with my parents now, and at my age it's a shame.
though i work and do house chores, i'm supposed to have my own life by now...

only this smell is blocking me from everything..
I'm not much social or popular, but kinda OK person. People like me when they get to know me and i have several certificates and can handle many computer softwares.

Only if i didn't smell like this, I COULD live a life...
Right before i stank this terrible, my roommate liked me saying 'plz don't go back to your home, live with me', but after she sniffed the whiff, she didn't even say good bye when i left.
And since this smell developed, many...no, most friends left me.

Whyyyy................... why me?

sorry for endless venting.
YOU ARE ALL PROBABLY DETOXING. American food has so much chemicals in produce and other foods it's hard to eat anything organic antibiotics will make this worse by killing the good bacteria so don't take them take plenty of probiotics everyday you should see a difference it really helps IBS as well
I agree that food matters and eating bad food can make some people's body odor stronger. I often thought that if I don't eat anything for few days it could stop, but I just can't starve myself for so long and I know food isn't the reason why I smell. I don't have the healthiest diet, but I eat mostly local grown vegetables and home cooked meals, I also avoid drinking sodas and don't eat any meat except fish.
Well, I rarely smell now, but it depends on the people i'm with and i dunno, some weird reaction of my brain. At least it's not as bad as two-three years ago when i was in highschool. And the smell isn't exactly a human smell, it's more complex and reminds me of the smell of the public transport in my country (which is old, has bad ventilation and is often used by old people or poorest people). I can't even locate from which body part it comes. It's so weird....

Omg I'm going Tru the exact thing ur going right now I can't be in a class room because I think everyone smells me I don't even like going out because I think I smell all the time I wanna see what u recommend or what has worked for u? I hope ur doing better because I'm going thru all this right now
You are NOT crazy!!!!  I have the SAME problem!!!  People close to me think I'm crazy, until other family members are around and then they all do the nose rubbing, etc....pisses me the F off!!!  It's making me angry.  I used to be happy and outgoing and FUN....now I sit home ALL the time besides going to work being humiliated there :(  I just go in the bathroom and cry :(:(:(  It seems to be worse when I eat sugar and or grains or processed foods.  Dr's insist  that you can't have yeast overgrowth but I beg to differ.  Maybe look into that!?  I have gallbladder issues and am waiting to have  mine out....we shall see if that is it?
That is totally what I've been thinking.  I hope that is the reason and it can be fixed!!!  It's crazy.....going to a Gastroenterologist and the waiting room is ALWAYS packed....must mean something!!!  Our food.  Food USED to be good 30 years ago....now it's all modified and filled with gunk.  I'm not in the medical field or anything but I've been dealing with this for like 5 years unhapplily and starting to be get VERY depressed about it.  Hmmmm.....so I wonder how we can make the liver healthy again?!  
I'd like info, please!  :):)
YOU TOTALLY FREAKIN ROCK!!!!!  

I AM SOOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS SITE AND SEE THAT I AM NOT ALONE.
I live in an arabic conutry, and i think that I  share with you the same problem, it screwed up my life.
but hopefully it is decreasing  year to year, it is behind nature that is for sure.
I want to talk with you guys for possibilities of  solutions, but i know that you will not believe me propably beacuse religions issues.
sorry for my poor english,

The annoying part is close family or friends can't smell it...

Once i had experience that a friend of mine sitting right side of me couldn't smell anything, and a stranger left side was clogging his nose with his hand for whole 2 hours movie....

It's more like supernatural than just body odor.

About yeast...I try not to eat bacteria infested foods, like fermented or aged foods. They are good for normal people but I violently react to it.

About gallbladder...If you have any results plz let me know. I tested my liver but nothing was wrong.
This is really teririble, like the worst thing ever happened in my life. At least most people are sympaetic for people who are visibly ill, but all that people like us get is more rude comments. It happened today, it was so embarassing, it just makes me want to disappear, change ghe city, the country and forget about my past. And I don't know why there aren't any medical articles about this, if some people knew that this is a real, existing illnes maybe they would treat us normally. I know I can't help anyone, but if you want to, write to me.
Sadly, it is already acknowledged by psychologists, named as 'Olfactory reference syndrome'
it means 'we are crazy and the smell or people's reactions were all delusion'.

delusion my ***...

First couple of times people suggested it to me, I tried to be polite and really wanted to believe it, so I tried ignoring all the comments and smell, thinking it was all delusion,

Of course it didn't work.

I'm not being rude to people who suggested ORS for me, I appreciate their trying to help, but...but...i'm really getting sick of this.

Delusion, yeah, not only smell but all the rude comments and people's disgusted expression, was all that delusion? Am I severe schizophrenia? Actually, this level of hallucination requires being locked up in ward, not just treating with benign drugs.

Just really tired...sorry for rambling.
In addition to my previous reply, I wanted to tell you about another video I saw and what they say is that there is (I know this is gross but) fecal matter inside the pores. This comes from the build up of bad foods over the years, toxins, slow bowel movement.  Foods that don't contain oxygen , well bacteria is attracted to that and it grows in that environment, your pores become clogged, your skin, your face and every where on your body.  The fecal matter will secrete through every pore and your FACE, and of course it stinks.  Try cleansing and eating fruit and vegetable.  These foods contain more oxygen.
what doctor do i have to visit pls let me know ...
Hey,

I've read your previous article about demon though it was deleted.. Don't worry about that post cause I believe in spirits and I think, to some point everything is related to spiritual thing. But i didn't know how to answer to your post so I didn't reply yet...

I don't have fecal matter clogged up inside in my pores. I know it cause my skin itself smells so good. Other people say it too. my skin is very clear and smell good. i don't know where the bad smell is coming from.
..it's just... my body tries to let everything out of my body through pores, breathe, skin....I think my inside is kinda toxic but this is more than that...

Anyway I try to eat veges and fruits like you said, and I don't like meat..
Thx for your recommendations Keli
I DON'T KNOW WHICH DOCTOR YOU SHOULD SEE.

If i had known I'd already have seen them.

and we can't end this once and for all. If I could help you I would have but I don't know how to cure this.

I don't wanna share this embarrassing problem through facebook(it's open place for everyone)

I know your frustration but would you mind not to repeat same replies over 5 times?
The moderators would have had to remove it.  If you see duplicate posts, you can hit the "report" button to the right of the indiviual post, and choose the option "duplicate".

Sorry to hear you're still no further on with your search to figure this out.  It's great that you continue to return to discuss it with people going through similar situations.  Best to you...I pray that you will find answers, or even better, complete relief from this.
im dealing with the same **** buddy. but i am trying to accept the fact that i have severe anxiety which causes me to relate a traumatic event in my life to everyday life and not being able to tell a diff between wats real and wats not. its basically a panic attack, social phobia ocd rolled in2 a big fat freak out.
u need to accept ur anxiety and learn how to remain calm. i am lucky i have my girlfriends support and i know she wouldnt lie to me about any of my insecurities in public. its all about nervousness. learn to remain calm, believe in ur self and rationlize ur thoughts m8 there aint no chance in hell that someone can smell ya 100m away... stop focusing on others facial expressions and look for absolutely any excuse to beat down on yourself. you are better then that. ur not crazy. u dont smell. ur a human being just like everyone else. life aint about stress and depression we need to appreciate every sec wer on this planet.
Hey guys I'm OP

Im starting to think I'm definitely cursed from my born. I was born weak, always been ill or sick without reason, doctors never knew why Im always sick everywhere. Besides smell problem nothing ever worked in my life either, job, love, family problem, friends, profession, anything ever worked.
Im over average I Q, (english is not my language), I hear that I'm good looking, I try to be nice to people, but it's like some evil entity is controlling my life not to be happy ever just once.

Feeling like I have to be like this the rest of my life. Feel like demon is really controlling my life. Feel like I was born with an evil entity stalking me my entire life.

I start to think there is no hope.
yah me too i think so that were desame ..
I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH A SIMMILAR SITUATION FOR 1.5 YEARS, I HAVE DONE RESEARCH IM GONNA SHARE WITH YOU, I CAN FEEL WHAT YOU RE FEELING SOMEHOW, DONT LOSE HOPE.
I'LL WRITE TO YOU SOON, IM LEAVING WORK NOW.
pls pls pls ..help me princes .. pls
I know! I have the exact same problem. My family, friend, doctors or anyone I tell my problem to cannot smell me. But, everyone else can. I KNOW this is not a mental problem. I am in college and I'm known as "The girl that smells like s**t." People always glare at me at school and everywhere else in public. Recently, a guy in my class said aloud "We should all sign a petition and make her shower before she comes to class" and he just laughed. It happens in all my classes. Everyone hates me and they say its torchor to be in a class with me. I was at a fabrics store the other day and once I stepped foot in the store the employees started to ask "what's that smell". One of them said "its that girl" and she started to spray air freshener and then got to where I was and sprayed some in the area that I was in and laughed. This other lady at ross said "OMG are you kidding me, it f-ing smells" when I got next to her and she gave me the dirtiest look and left. So yea this is not  paranoia. We are not crazy even though the people close to us and DR's say we are.  I'm not a bad person. I have never done drugs, only had 2 drinks my entire 20 yrs of living. I have never robbed or killed anyone. All I want is to be able to be in class and not have anyone say I smell awful. I want to graduate University. That's all i'm asking for. I just want a simple, normal life.
Im experiencing the same issues.  It mainly happens when I go out with my friends.  I have Pseudo DSD, which essentially is a neuralgic disorder which makes me lose control of my pelvic floor.  Essentially I constantly clinch my sphincter, which also gives me the urge to urinate when I dont have too.  This in return makes me nervous and stressed and thats when the smell comes out of my body.  It smells like a sewer.  Ive smelled it a couple times but most times I cant smell it.  Ive had close friends smell it but it usually happens when were hanging out with non friends.  It happened last night and I think it comes out from sweat glands under or around my testicles.  Ive noticed that every time this has happened my crouch area, specifically under my testicles, is extremely sweaty, so Ive come to the conclusion this is where the smell is coming from.  Honestly, I feel this only happens when Im nervous in social situations.  Im gonna work on treatment for my Pseudo DSD and work on relaxing in social situations.  Also, if I experience sweaty crouch again im going to goto the bathroom and cleanse the area with a wet washcloth to see if this limits the smell.  Hope this helps you guys.
Hey, I'm OP.
guys i appreciate your sharing, trying to help, saying good words, I'd be completely lost without you people.

I just want to share something more, if we can discuss again.

i've said close people can't smell me. My family and friends are all brutally honest, they are sometimes cruel, so if they say they can't smell I believe them.

Doctors are too.... My town doctor are ordinary nice people, but since I started complaining about smell problem they treated me like i'm mental and getting angry at me.
i don't understand... Already two doctors are upset by my ongoing insist about smell problem, they just ignore me now when they see me, suggesting mental counselling bluntly.
(i don't understand why my phantom(?) smell problem make them upset...one doctor said 'Why can't you believe me? Are you playing with me? i really can't smell anything!' and he nearly drove me out of his office.)

this is really bugging. if this is yeast or candida or gland problem why my close people and doctors can't smell me?

Someone in here talked about evil spirits, saying that's why our beloved people can't smell us.
i don't know, but now only explanations can be three .

1. I'm haunted so smell changes up to people i meet.

2. i'm mental and hallucinating.

3. i physically really stink but some people just can't smell it. like my hormone and gland choose who can smell me or not.

I've been already to psychiatrist and psychologist, tried ssri's and xanax and even anti-psychotics... xanax helps me a bit and risperidone(risperdal) made me sick and anti-depressants made it worse.

if doctors could smell me i'd be a lot much happier. My psychiatrist counselled one sweaty girl before my session. i always could smell her sweat and my doctor could too. then doctor said to me 'i can smell her bad odor, my nose has no problem, now, why don't you start believe me you don't stink?'

Yeah, i want to believe her, but my customers (I work as a clerk) continuously complain about some smell or glare at me with disgust or talk under breath 'she smells...don't wanna come here...'

God,

what is this? is this extraterrestrial disease?
You mention that English isn't your first language. This makes me wonder whether you might regularly eat foods that contain "exotic spices" (such as Indian food) or maybe even certain Asian foods contain things like pickles garlic which can cause body odor. I love those spices and foods but I understand that they can often change the scent of your body and can cause "body odor" related to the spices/pickled garlic, pickled cabbage, etc. And perhaps others in your life who also eat those foods do not pick up on any offensive body odor either because they don't find those smells to be offensive, or else because they can't smell it on you if THEY smell that way too or if they're just brought up in a culture where certain scents aren't "offensive" or "bad."

With garlic in particular, the smell would come from your lungs upon exhaling, and could change the odors of other body systems too.

Just an idea that I thought was worth bringing up in case it might apply to you.

I experienced body odor in the past from a prescription medication. I smelled like "grease" and I could even smell my own scalp! I think the medicine dialated my capillaries, made my body temp rise, made me sweat mildly, and caused my skin to produce more oils. Anyway, at that time I felt that everyone around could smell me. It felt gross! But only ONE person said, Yes, you DO smell--And she said I smelled like McDonald frenchfries. Gross! Everyone else was too polite. So before you chalk it up to "mental"
causes, (you sound rational and have good insight--it sounds to me like you probably do have some unusual scent caused from something (don't know what) but that others' denial of it causes you to question your sanity. Don't underestimate how many folks would lie and say they smell nothing rather than risk embarrassing you and themselves by saying, "Yeah, now that you mention it you kind of do carry a scent...."

I'm sure you've done so already but think long and hard about spices and sauces you might eat; anything pickled; any "exotic" spices, etc. And consider whether ANY of your meds COULD either cause body odor OR an increased sensitivity to odors in general (or perhaps the both combined!).

Best wishes to you...From Central New York :-)
Hello, Binoo13

You have some point about spices because now a molecule of spices make me stink up a building.
But before recent couple of years, I used to eat spicy foods but they didn't give me BO. I wasn't friendly with spicy foods, but my symptoms were just indigestion or respiratory problem or fever, not odor.
BO only started after the travel.

Of course I had developed some BO naturally sometimes before this problem.
1.at puberty (like everybody else) 2. when i didn't shower (of course) 3. and peppermint...
Peppermint used to give me BO unlike other spices... I don't know why. curry, garlic, chilly didn't give me odor but peppermint was different.
Now I can't touch peppermint. Just sniffing tea bag would make me stink up.

I've lived my life in packed schools, in small offices, spent days with strangers when work required it. So i know when i stink or not.

about people's cruelty.... there are many polite people, but not my family nor my friends. when i skipped class, one of my friends said 'I thought you went out to kill yourself because of your acne' in front of my face.
and now my grown up friends bluntly say in front of my face 'you don't stink I told u damn many times, God, go to mental hospital and don't bother me anymore. You are crazy, don't wanna hang out with delusional friend anymore.'
they are NOT POLITE. When they say they can't smell anything, at least it's true.

but I know i stink because strangers say it under their breath or stare back at me with disgusted looks.
only rational explanation about this for now is, some can smell and some can't....Don't know why...

Now i don't eat spices, dairy, fermented foods, or exotic foods...i only eat salted noodles and eggs and vegetables, some fruits, i don't even eat bell-peppers.

As you mentioned about medication, my smell changes up to medications too. from anti-histamines to cold meds.
I suspect it's hormonal... cause i didn't change my diet over a year now, very simple foods..no spices, nearly no meat..

Mystery is, close people really can't smell me. They're brutally honest. believe me. when i had acne my mom said 'you look like got smallpox. or moon crator on your face.'

well my post became long again...

anyway thx for your replying and your insight... thx for not defining me mental or simply mysterious,
thx for your thoughtful analysis.
though i can't find answers, when people try to help me it always gives me strength.
I've read most of the above and I want you to try the following.

1) Stop eating these foods: http://thecandidadiet.com/foodstoavoid.htm
2) Start eating ONLY these foods (and organic, if possible): http://thecandidadiet.com/foodstoeat.htm

At the same time, cleanse your colon in the way listed with psyllium husk & bentonite clay. Bentonite clay absorbs all known toxins from your colon: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/cleansing.htm

Stop drinking entirely, don't deviate from the diet for even one snack, and do this for 2 months minimum. Purify your body, detoxify in every way you can find listed online. Don't put any unnecessary chemicals in or on your body. Change your washing powder for your clothes. I believe it's to do with what you're eating, so change your diet completely and see if that helps. Good luck x

ps - I read somewhere about eating charcoal to absorb internal smells.

Also, many animals are known to give off strong scents during times of extreme stress or anxiety, perhaps to ward off predators. Some of them have glands specifically for this, some do not. You've mentioned different situations with friends/strangers, perhaps finding an alternative to Xanax may help? Try smoking weed, you never know :)
I got locked up  in México And was tortured cause of this, worst place to be with this problem, Ppl were brutally honest, ive be come an expert in this disease And still learning, the problem is we Believe trully in our hearts that we smell, the trauma And resentment manifests itself in physical damage, idk but i suspect this happens to people who are more aware or smarter mentaly, so much that we actually are crazy, causing extreme anxiety, i Believe that this is a new disease cause in the los times Ppl had fear of "God" And were dumbasses, ironically the y are better because thats a what makes us human, but we separate from society, And live in our heads, manifesting our worst fear SMELL, we Dont want to smell but we do, causing our Brain to trick our body to overheat, "HELL" i Believe the bible tells the truth but it must b translated And not b taken literal y, we stay upset And always fear we smell, it is fear And hating that fuels the problem, anyone who wants to work our the problem, can mssg me.
*old times
Hi my name is patty and I have to say this is the worst thing I have ever gone gone thru it has destroyed my social life and I just don't know who to trust when I ask do I smell bad. ? Cuz. Everybody tells me no u don't  but I see the opposite from other people I don't know what to think anymore  doctors tell me I'm ok but I know I'm not what am I supposed to do  
Hey

Sounds like you're having a difficult time. You can trust the Doctor's diagnosis, and of course your loved ones.
Has your Dr picked up that this is as a result of OCD or anxiety? It would be best to see the Dr about that and also a therapist ./ counsellor.
OCD can get out of hand (believe me i know!) so dont suffer any longer and get the help u need and deserve! and u will overcome it. what can u manage to do to get started?
Hello
I am having same problem for last 5 years. The intensity is getting high every year.Did so many research and tried all possibilities and looking for a solution.

Based on my research i narrowed down to these possibilities

1. Candida infection
2. Gallbladder ( Note most of people does not have the same symptom)
    worth removing it to eliminate the possibility

For now , i was reading one guy cured it using just extra virgin coconut oil
apply in body every day and drink 1 spoon a day looks like it has 2 acids
against candida. Not sure how long he tried. I just started

One thing for sure , people who are suffering in this forum research and takes
the step , we can all find an answer in 6 months

Please research and post

I think our main problem is the fear/stress because of the smell (or any other). At least my symptoms are almost gone (or very reduced) when I am calm (when I am with my family). My doctor said also that stressed people does have a strange smell (fear have a smell). Because stress changes the reactions in the body varied ways (causing alkalosis, acidosis, reflux, leaking gut, oily sweat, food intolerancy, vitamin deficiency etc., all of them cause strange odor).
So the lasting solution would be to remain calm in every situation. But how? I don’t know. I’m on therapy since months without getting better. :S  I think I will need stronger medicines or other alternative solutions (homeopathy maybe?).
What helps me a bit are the followings:
- taking omega3 (~1g EPA,DPA every day)
- taking magnesium and B6 vitamin (2 times more what the packing said)
- drinking huge amount of water
- paleo diet (the strict one, but I cannot eat much fruit also because my body have problems with sugar)
- probiotics (taking for months)
- workouts every day
- outside activities with friends or family (I don’t know why)
I started to drink aloe also in a few days, let’s see what will happen-
Here are some links what can be useful for some of you maybe:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/106633-causes-unusual-body-odors/
http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/sym/odor_symptoms.htm
http://drlwilson.com/ARTICLES/BODY%20ODOR.htm
In another post I will write my story and what did I try and what kind of examinations I went through and what was found.Maybe it will help somebody to find the cure for himself/herself or get a tip or new ideas.
At first, sorry for my english. It is not my native language.

I suffer from strange body odors also since 3 years.

I have 3 kind of bad odor now (a sour, pungent, alcohol or cleaning product-like; a strange unpleasant sweat odor; and an unpleasant food-like odor). But it seems that the number is growing every year. :S

Everything started with a lot of stress (and because of this: sweat) at my workplace. I always felt extreme heat. I ended to use the antibaby pills also at that time. Because of these I felt my feet stinking. I felt really ashamed and guilty and my stress level became extreme high.  :S

I started to use special deos on my feet. I didn’t felt that smell anymore but I started to smell a new one. A sour, pungent, alcohol or cleaning product-like odor (I cannot describe it exactly). I smell it everywhere every day since then. When I started to smell it , my collegues also started to acting weird. They were asking every time: „What the hell is that weird smell?””The air in the office is always bad, why?” And they were opening the windows all the time (but only after when I came in the office). But when I asked them they said they don’t smell it on me. Except one of my friends, he told me that he can smell an unpleasant sweet odor on me, especially at summer. Sometimes I can feel it also but not every day and it is also disgusting. And in the last few weeks I started to smell the food-like odor too (with my collegues of course) which is worsen when I eat garlic or onion.

On the bus the people started to acting weird also (hands in front of their nose, window opening etc.). This was happening in the last 3 years. I visited doctors several times to help me to find the cause. The followings were checked:
- hormones (only a bit higher DHEAs level was found, and my thyroid is inflammated)
- blood sugar (only a small insulin problem, diet is needed will be checked later again)
- my nose, throat (no problem)
- my belly with ultrasound (no problem)

I got some pills for the found problems but the smell didn’t disappeared.

4 months ago I started the paleo diet because I read that it helps in a lot of diseases (diabetes for example). But no change in BO yet.

The worst is that I cannot talk about that with anybody because all my friends, relatives, collegues and therapist are fed up with it already. I reached the point also when I’m always thinking about not to go anywhere or end my life to get rid of it. At the end of this month I will go to a new therapist, hopefully he can help me finally.

I hope one of us will find the cure one day. Please post guys what happened to you in the last few months, I would like to hear.
Wow. I'm so glad to find this discussion thread.

I'm 30 years old, and I've been suffering from this issue for few years now. I can't really pinpoint when it all started, but the symptoms are 100% same with (almost) everyone who posted here.

Unfortunately nobody seems to have found a cure :( This has been affecting my life in the most depressing ways as with all of you. But now I can be very sure that I'm not at least totally insane. Silver linings :) It can't be a coincidence that so many people have described the same symptoms that I am experiencing.

For my part, I can say that this has to be one part psychological and one part physiological. Yes, the smell is very real. Whenever I stay long enough in one room (at work, work example), people who come in will most probably comment that whoa it smells bad in here. But when I ask my friends or family about my BO, they always say that "No, you must be imaging it".

And I notice the smell when I get stressed out or anxious. And yeah, its an endless cycle right there, I get anxious/stressed out just thinking about it.

I do have IBS symptoms (and I'm lactose intolerant), so I kinda try to keep an eye on my diet, but it's so hard with every other people telling you what to try and what not..

There are days when the odor is not there. Like nobody is saying anything and I cannot smell it myself.. and I plan to find out what have I been doing when these days occur.

I'm also going to give a go to antibiotics (I've had antibiotics only 2 times in my life so far), and later activated charcoal and copper chlorophyllin. These have been mentioned in Wikipedia article about Trimethylaminuria.

I'll update you later if I find any kind of help to this horrible curse. I mean, if doctors don't believe you and your friends tell that you are just imagining things.. What could be worse? There is nothing worse than being outcast, isolated and labeled insane.

Stay strong, fellow sufferers. You are not alone!
I am amazed that some "educated" people will mention the word mental in a situation. I have suffered the very same problem for more than four years. It all happened after I had an operation to fix a deviated septum and tonsil removal. prior to the operation I was prescribed antibiotics after antibiotics. After reading up on all the evils antibiotics can cause, I realized that my entire gut was messed up by this stuff after prolong use. The bottom line is that bacteria in your digestive system cause these odors to seep though your sweat however little the amount. Hot environment makes it even worse. I have hell on my job over the years from workers who will just bring their friends to take a sniff and make comments. if it were not for God I would give up my job. Sometimes when I change up my diet and cut out meats the odor would go away from a long time. I got sick recently and did not go to the doctor or for antibiotics. However, the odor reappears and I can feel the slight heat in my body. Though the odor is not that bad this time, if not checked it can get out of hand. I believe this happened because i ate a lot of meats lately. The bottom line is CANDIDA. All I am saying we needs to get this bacteria out of our systems by making our diets more alkaline and less acidic if we really want to get better. God bless you all. Get well soon.
I am amazed that some "educated" people will mention the word mental in such a situation. I have suffered the very same problem for more than four years. It all happened after I had an operation to fix a deviated septum and tonsil removal. Prior to the operation I was prescribed antibiotics after antibiotics. After reading up on all the evils antibiotics can cause, I realized that my entire gut was messed up by this stuff after prolong use. The bottom line is that bacteria in your digestive system can manifest themselves through your sweat however little the amount. Hot environment makes it even worse. I have had hell on my job over the years from workers who will just bring their friends to take a sniff and make comments. I still do sometimes even if the odor is occasional and not so pronounced as before. Not to mention the money I have spent buying products. If it were not for God I would have given up my job. Sometimes when I change up my diet and cut out meats the odor would go away from a long time. I got sick recently but did not go to the doctor or for antibiotics. However, the odor reappears and I can feel the slight heat in my body. Though the odor is not that bad this time, if not checked it can get out of hand. I believe this happened because I ate a lot of meats and bad starches lately . The bottom line is CANDIDA. All I am saying we need to get this bacteria out of our systems by making our diets more alkaline and less acidic if we really want to get better. God bless you all. Get well soon.
Your not crazy and your not alone I'm so glad to find this sight I'm going thru the same thing I thought I was the only one.I only wish there was a way to talk better just to much to say an have to write on my moble phone if we could we can share or stories an simularities maybe then we can pin point the true source n come up with a solution thank you for speaking out I'm blown away that someone is going thru the same thing we need to share I think together we we can find the missng link.
Another person here going through the same thing. 24 years old and it's been about 2 years.

Something interesting - right around the time this all started I was living in a house and I had the only room upstairs. The toilet up there had a leak that never got fixed because our landlord was a lazy idiot. Eventually the water leaking caused mold and these massive moldy mushrooms started growing out of the bathroom floor. They looked just like the one in this picture:

http://www.thepoisonforest.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/P1010510.jpg

I continued to sleep upstairs for a month or two atleast with this growing up there. Thinking maybe my body was breathing this crap in the whole time.

Just like everyone else, my family smells nothing, or so they say. I have a sebaceous cyst on my head which I thought was causing this for about a year but I squeezed out all the goo from inside and wore a bandaid over it and there was no smell.

I've had people on the bus start rubbing their nose as well and turn their heads and sniff. This is on the way to work, and I'm getting stressed about going to work and stinking it up.

When I started a new job as a dishwasher people started rubbing their nose on my first shift. On the next shift I was stacking clean plates and a server came up directly behind me and took a big sniff right up close to me, so close I could actually feel and hear it and see him in my peripherals. I heard a manager say the smell was "very distinct".

I got a different dishwashing job and the guy training me started rubbing his nose about 5 minutes into the shift. An hour later I noticed he came up behind me when my back was turned and took a massive sniff. Then a server came back with some dishes and said out loud that it smelled like poison.

Another interesting thing is that I actually overheard a girl at work say that it "didn't bother her" after someone else said it stunk. I was thinking maybe some people are carriers or have been exposed to something similar and are immune to it. That would explain why doctors notice nothing, since they probably get exposed to basically everything.

Also interested if anyone else has tonsil stones because since this started I've spit out 3 tonsil stones at different times and I've heard those smell like crap. Also have allergies and smoke.
Does anybody have a cure solution or just some advice im going through the same exact thing and im at the point where i just want to kill myself and not be around anyone anymore its not a mental thing this is real nobody understands us
Hi! I believe you, I have the same problem or worst because
I also have bad breath, I'm at the stage of getting all kind of examinations endoscopy
,colonoscopy and more . the results mild gastritis which it doesn't help me at all because I have the same problem ,with the years is getting worse is not easy for me to give up in my case because I have children and they depend on me.

Everyday for me is horrible but I still have to take my kids to school, work and be around people which is a torture because you see how people react when you pass by or when mandatory you need to talk to them.  

Wow, thank you for sharing. I'm struggling everyday.
It could happen , when you enter to a room you tell in people's faces how much is bothering them.
Hello, I'm OP.

Thank you for your sharings and caring.

I hadn't come here for a long time because I was so depressed...

I'm tired of trying to find a cure, now I'm tired of believing there might be cure someday.

As far as i know there's no cure.
Some people was cured by some unusual medicines like MOIs or heavy dose of sedatives or tons of antibiotics but it was temporary or the symptom comes back.

I'm tired of even managing the symptoms...what's the point?
Cancer patients suffer pain but they are treated with sympathy and can socialize with people, but Me? I'm already famous as stinky girl in my town, even police officers despise me, they used to say hello but now they avoid me. So many people avoid me or giggle at me. this is not a life.

Now what's the point of managing symptoms if I don't know when the hell the smell would come back with any weird reason?

I gave up. I'm simply depressed and losing hope.
I'm dragging myself out of bed every morning to work only because to pay rent to my parents and stay alive, suffering peoples' reaction everyday. literally everyday.

Lost all confidence and hope and motivation.

Sorry for saying this,
I don't think there is cure or hope.
I planned suicide but gave up on it because i was scared that i might become famous in news 'the stinky girl in town killed herself eventually.'

Frustrated cancer patients can do crazy thing like robbing bank or spending all the money to travel the world. but me? if i rob a bank the news would report me as 'the stinky girl robbed bank'
If i use all the saving on traveling and kill myself, hotel workers and bus passangers would remember me as 'the stinky girl.'

No way.
I'm stuck here.
No hope, no way out, no cure, no solution, can't even kill myself afraid of being famous than now.

Now it's time to accept myself and say goodbye to my hopes and dreams i used to have before this smell symptoms, and choose one between two options.

1. kill myself even if I become famous as 'the dead stinky girl'
2. Just live like this and manage life being despised and depressed, paranoid, till the day I die. I think I'll die naturally earlier than my parents with this hopeless feelings and emptiness.

I'm on 2 now. hope my heart would give up on fast enough mercifully.
I don't have your problem Sleepmonster but I can certainly sympathize with your desperation and depression.  Are you seeing a psychologist to at least deal with the depression part of this whole thing?  If not, I think you should.  Obviously killing yourself is not the answer.  I don't know what is but the people that love you would miss you very, very much.  It would also be good to know what the psychologist themselves think.  When you go, do they smell anything.  You would be sitting there for an hour so if you truly do emit an odor, they would have to notice it.  I think it is a good test.  
I've seen psychiatrist for 6 months. 6x4=24....so I have seen her for 24 hours.
For the whole time she never smelled anything and tried to convince me there was no smell.
It wasn't lie because she complained about sweat smell of a patient came prior to my session. I know, it's weird. Doctors or close people can't smell me but strangers catch the smell very sharply.

sometimes strangers say out "what's the smell...? like fecal or garbage or something..." or wave their hands over their noses or cover their noses. or say "it's her." looking at me.

I'm sure I perspire smell and strangely only 'unfriendly people' react to it very sharply. I guess I'm emitting warning signal from adrenaline gland or something so people who loves me can't smell the unpleasant odor much.  
The psychiatrist can't smell it and you know she would say if she could or not.  So what is her take on this whole issue?
Hey man, let me tell you I have almost the same problems as you, but believe me those sniffs, coughs and odor words  mean something, when you ask people if you smell or not of course they answer will be ; NO they just lie because they cant tell you or they do not want to make problems,  and for your friends they just do not want to upset you  
I joined up today just so i could give everyone suffering with this problem some good advice especially you Sleepmonster because you had me worried after reading your post. I haven't got a cure but what i will tell you will hopeful help to boost you confidence in the first instance.
To deal with the immediate problem which is the smell, go on any search engine and type in BODY ODOR TABLETS.  It will come back with different makes of Chlorophyllin tablets, Chlorophyllin is a natural deodorizer so your body, feet and breath will all become fresher. There is a particular one that I can"t obviously name but it has 5 letters in it's name that also claims to eliminate fecal/ urine smells amongst others.
If money is a problem, you can also try ACTIVATED CHARCOAL TABLETS and it must say ACTIVATED on the bottle which is for medicinal use only these are not to be taken long term but they also claim to stop body odors if they are cause internally.
This should all help in the short term but if you would like a long term possible solution start on an ALKALISING product like BARLEY GRASS which is a natural product, diet has alot to  do with the problem we all have,  with a few exceptions we probably all have a terrible diet. I will post a few ideas soon if you find this at all helpful but to start with   - start each morning before breakfast and last thing at night with a glass of room temperature water with the juice of half a lemon in it, this will start to cleanse the body and make it more alkaline. If you like honey the following recipe does pretty much the same thing. 2 teaspoons of honey and 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar in a half a glass of warm water.
I hope this helps, Take Care.
hi I have this problem with my B.O since I started this new school tings just got bad people started to say I smell bad but when I reach home and I ask my parents how they find I smell they said like normal but its very strange dat when I go to school the students avoid being around me like example this girl had to sit by me and there was a boy sitting next to her she told me that she wanted to switch places and when I switch with the girl when the boy see me coming to sit next to him he got up and begged one of his friends to sit next to them because he didn't want to sit next  to me but the problem is that when I was in my next school  no one did not had a problem about my scent
and sometimes I might not bathe for about 2 days straight and I still smell clean and the ting is that when come home from school I smell my shirt and it smells fine and when am going down the road or anywhere I smell good this is the first time I heard people complaining about my bad body odor it reach so far dat the children told the teacher dat I smell real bad and the teacher told the hold class they must put deodorant under there arms but he was referring to me and everyone knew dat and then my brother said I smell sweaty so I don't know wats going on
this might sound stupid but the new school I attends to has no fan in it so the classroom is very hot and I am accustom with ac because my house has air condition including my room and also the church has ac that I attends to so am normally cold  so I don't know if that could be the reason and now since the students in the classroom say I smell I has dis fear to go into the class like every time I come into the classroom my arm starts to sweat so I am afraid of wat they will say and how worse it will get also the former school I attend to the classrooms had ac in it and why I said my church had ac in it is because I spend most of my days in the church
I do have the same problem..i just wana die..i can see and heard people complaining for my smell
.i have 3 romates..2 of them like me they allways say i don't smell and the one who hates me is allways complaining about how much stink ...only when I'm around...i don't know what to do...help
hey, wanna talk about this awkward disease, you can e-mail me you can see it... I have the same problem
You could have a intestinal fungle yeast infection, do you feel sick when your smelling these bad smells? My skin stinks right now like a wet dog, but I also have explosive urticaria , and 90 percent of my head neck and chest are one big hive most the time. Your symtoms (symptoms) are similar to a intestinal fungal yeast infection called  Candida in large intestine.  Find a allergy/immunoligist and practices holistics.
I just don't get one thing. Why I smell like this only in public, when there are people around me, and mostly in rooms/buses. I never smell when I'm at home. What is my brain doing to me? My senses are fine, I dont smell like this right now or most of the time. I wish it was the sweat, or breath, or skin, but its none of these. i wish I knew what it was. Its not the food too, I eat like a bird (i became vegan, hoping it would help). I wish it as all an illusion but unfortunately its not...
Hello guys, I'm OP.
Thx for sharing and advising, sorry for not coming back regularly.

I wanted to share something, I'm kinda doing OK for recent couple of days, I don't know if I'd be cured completely, but this was interesting.

I finally eliminated all protein source...I tried several low carb or zero carb before, but it didn't work for me. Once I tried zero-protein diet, at least it eliminated all smell whether I leak or emit whatever. But it gave me anemia and my period stopped suddenly, I was scared and started to eat meat or dairy again. ...and the smell came back.

Now I'm so fed up, there's nothing to lose, I've been maintaining ovo-vegan diet for about 1 year, now I finally gave up on eggs. Egg was only protein source and nutritious thing I was eating, because I progressively gave up meat, poultry, beans, dairy(was worse than meat), fish....I couldn't give up eggs, it was last thing I can call protein.

For the recent three months there was a lot of commotion because of my psychotic brother, excessive stress ruined my mind and body completely, no more any regimen worked for the smell, my smell got worsened because of stress, nothing worked for me I couldn't even manage daily lives.

I was fed up, I finally gave up eggs. This was dangerous because I can't eat nightshades(potatoes or tomatoes), nutritious veggies(brocoli or asparagus...I react to them), beans or tofu(I violently react to them), dairy(worse than meat), whole grains(worse than dairy),

So giving up eggs meant I'm starving myself, eliminating all nutrients, just eating empty calories.

I can't take any supplements or probiotics because I experienced they give me smell too especially herbal things and probiotics or yogurts.

I don't restrict carb consumption right now, not because I need them but because since I eliminated all nutritious things empty carbs don't bother me much. Though I can't eat whole grain. Anything is rich in nutrients gives me smell.

Now I'm kinda dizzy and weak because of malnutrition. I think my anemia is coming back and developing insomnia. but the smell is gone about 80%. I'm still emitting some smell but I think it's because of some nutrient still left in my body.

This is dangerous diet. I know. But Do i have anything to lose anymore? I guess tons of stress made me sensitive to nearly everything.

I can eat candy bar and black coffee, I think they eliminate the last nutrients in my body, eliminating smell. I used to leak some smell when I take coffee or sweets, but now the smell is getting weaker, now whatever i leak it doesn't bother me much.

Wet feeling down there was gone, and strangely slight yeasty infection I used to have was gone too. i don't eat anti-fungal food or meds. Especially garlic or mint makes me stink up. So I don't know why they've gone after I starved myself.

I still eat good amount of carbs(simple noodles with salt, small amount of white rice with soy sauce, candybar, cereals) I won't die by starvation though I can be unhealthy because of malnutrition.
I eat green veggies and fruit to moderate amount. too much of them gives me indigestion.
I can eat vegetable oils, they can give me indigestion or acne but don't make me stink.

Oh, and I can't eat any nuts or seeds or seed extracted oil because they are very nutritious.

Yeah, call me crazy, but I'm kinda peaceful for the first time after five years of this hell.
I'm still a bit smelly but the smell is getting weaker. And many strange intestinal symptoms gone.

I guess chronic or acute stress ruined my system so I became sensitive to nearly everything. or this can be inborn error. because when I was little I couldn't digest meat or diary at all.

I won't be anorexic because I eat large amount of carbs and add some green veges and fruits, I'm worried about malnutrition, but hey, at least I'm not fasting.

I used to think about candida infection, but whatever little infection I had, it is gone now though I'm eating bad foods, bad carbs,
I eat INSTANT carbs, you know, and candy bar. I've never heard there is yeast living on protein.

I'm gonna experiment this more, I feel kinda slow and weak but at least I'm much less smelly....

Models live on one bite of biscuit and veggies, so why not me?

Thx for reading.
  I have just read what you have been writing about. I have just recently started to notice every so often that i can smell something strange but could not work out where it is coming from especially at night when i am at my computer and it was bothering me, I smelt the desk the mouse lad the keyboard the pc everywhere but nothing then the other night i smelt it in bed and come to the conclusion it must be me but could not put my finger on what kind of smell it is until just now reading your post, It's Sulphur just like when i was back at school in the lab. So no your not alone and not mad but what do i do about it well that's to be seen.Oh and by the way i'm a man

I hope you get this post and wish you all the luck in the world
http://www.channel4embarrassingillnesses.com/conditions/fish-odour-syndrome/

I know its been over a year since your post, I've just came across it. I read with interest what you had to say and I thought right away,  it could be Fish Odour Syndrome. its a metabolic disorder were the body can't break down a certain protein.  Heres a link to look for more information
I have the exact same problem!!! Just want you to know your not alone.I havent found a solution yet but im dying to find one...I dont think its mental but feels like an aura.maybe its a blader problem?
I agree with you this person has a liver problem and the stress of  it is making the anxiety get worst thus making it seem like a mental fitigue. Ask God to help you with your stress and your solution will come.

God Bless you all.
I hope this message finds you well.

First off, you're not crazy. There are many people who are having similar issues and our doctors don't know what to do.

There are some doctors that are treating body odor caused by a change in your body's chemistry with risperidone. Yep, supposedly many schizophrenics also tend to have a weird body odor.

If the dosage of risperidone is low enough, it may help to alter the chemistry enough to stop the body odor. Google body odor in schizophrenics.

People with severe body odor don't have schizophrenia but may just suffer from anxiety issues. These anxiety issues may also be caused by your chemistry being off enough, which in turn causes body odor symptoms.

Your anxiety isn't full blown to the point where you are a schizo.

Alternatively,  what may be happening has nothing to do with modern medicine. You might want to go to a shaman (South American) or some other traditional spiritual counselor and get their take on it.

I hope this helps and good luck! And know that you're not alone and we're rooting for you.

All the best.
I recommend that you contact Dr. Quang in Bennington, VT.  He may be able to refer you to a colleague that also practices his form of eastern medicine.  I've seen the results of his work on folks with Lyme disease, cancer, skin conditions, arthritis, etc etc.  His use of cleansing herbs and diet work...
I think you're not crazy. Thing is that people close to you won't tell you to avoid offending you.
I was on a roadtrip with a close friend and a friend of him (that i didn't know before the trip) and, of course, it happened. So Unknowguy started to say things like "what's that smell ?" "-speaking with Oldfriend- Oh, you too don't like that **** smell in the car ?" and so on. And once where my eyes were closed but i wasnt really asleep, i heard that conversation between them :
Unknownguy - why do noone tell him ?
Oldfriend - we don't want to make him feel even more uncomfortable.

But i think the problem with our disease is that we get completly paranoid about all kind of smells. And the reason why people may stare at you when it smells -even if it doesnt come from you- is that you act guilty about it. Here's an example :

We were in Florence with my class and i smelled a terrible sewer-like odor. So did i blush and tried to avoid the group. But as i came back on holidays to Florence with my family a few years later, i noticed that there was some kind of savage dump area pretty close to the "incident" location. and it did indeed smell like sewer no matter when you'd go there. Point is, sometimes it's just paranoïa on our side, so try to act cool and blame it on something else.
-Sorry for the hudge amount of text, but i have so much to say-

The reason i think this disease is physically uncurable is that, for me at least, it only happens when i'm stressed. So of course it never happened at home or when im chillin' with friends at the bar, but it happened during tests (when i started to notice i'd fail them) and at social events (when the presence of some people made me uncomfortable).

I made 2 long runs without it, one of 4 months and one of something like a year and a half, so how do we get rid of it ? I honestly think that that problem comes from the total panic feeling we experience sometimes.

I'm a really shy and introverted person, and sitting for the whole day next to someone (im a student) is a nightmare for me. I'm kind of an emotionless person so i don't really "listen" to it, but it's like a part of me is screaming "GET THE **** OFF, LET ME BREATHE".
And when i'm in that mood, it never fails to happen.

So what's my point to all this ? my point is that :
- It's real. Your body emits a disgusting stench.
- It comes from a really powerfull anxiety.

Something that did produce good result is that whenever im awfully stressed, i just focus and tell to myself "it's in your head, and you don't want this". Believe me or not, this calms me down, and people are complaining way less about it. I think that the best for people who experience that only when they're stressed is to follow a therapy to get rid of the very source of that anxiety.

If you ever read all this, thank you and keep being an awesome person.
Oh, i forgot something. I know what kind of torture you go through when you detect some poop smell and can't tell if it comes from you because you didn't fart. Just try to tell yourself that even if it's from you, you cant do anything about it and keep doing stuff like nothing happened. People reactions are less aggressive when you do not behave as a victim.
Its a little late for a comment here but if you read this i have a solution for your problem
Doctors cant help you nor can anyone aside from yourself
I know what i am talking about...it wasnt just smell in my case it was way worse
The only thing that could turn things for the better was hard mental work on myself
The most important thing for you to know is that you arent insane or hallucinating and even if you are you can gain control over this issue
But it takes a lot of willpower and time
I was quick at last i think i was and it still took me 7 years to get an edge
In case you read this i can give you some clues i just dont do it now because if you dont read it i have to write a really big post for nothing
Look into parasites or bacterial infection.  I tested positive for a parasite (giardia I think) was cured in eight hours with 2000mg of Tinidazole. Now I am being treated for a bacterial infection with Augmentin. Half way through the ten day treatment but I think I'm on the mend. It's not in your head. I think someone gave me contaminated food.