Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
is it normal or am i a freak

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

is it normal or am i a freak

I just found out today that i have compulsive skin picking and its getting worse i pick every wheres my face is the worse but its also my neck, back, chest, back of legs, head, even my butt and its scaring me cause i dont know if i can stop all i want to do is cry and whats also scares me is that when i see something on someone else i want to pick at them (but i dont) anyone else feel like that or am i just a freak??? i feel so alone and helpless i also have depression along with it ..... and i cant stop scratching my head till i have a sore there too and then once i get the sore i have to pull out my hair where the sore is ........
Who diagnosed you?  Did you go to a psychologist or a psychiatrist?  And no it is not normal but it doesn't make you a freak either.  It just makes you one more person who has OCD and the compulsion to pick at your skin.  

Once you let me know who diagnosed you, and what they suggested you do, such as medications, I may be able to elaborate further.  

Hang in there....

It was my family doctor who diagnosed  me and all he said so far was to cut my nails and try on my own to stop but that's not working at all by 8am this morning I already had my back, face, neck, and chest picked...... i cant even fall asleep until i pick... i feel so gross when i look at my self but the thought of not picking makes me have anxiety attacks and feel sick :(
Ah....more information.  Okay, this is what you need to do.  You need to make an appointment first with a psychologist.  They can formally diagnose you and teach you cognitive behavioral therapy that should help you to stop the picking and those same therapies will help with the resulting anxiety you feel when you don't pick.  There is also the medication route and you and your psychologist can discuss this to see if it is warranted.  If you do go this route, then you should see a psychiatrist.  Since psychiatrists don't usually teach CBT, then you really need both.  The psychiatrist would only manage the medication aspect of it.  

I'm not sure where you live but if you need a referall to see a psychologist then get that referral.  It if it going to be a long time before you can see one, then you need to learn some CBT strategies on your own.  

http://www.ocfoundation.org/CBT.aspx

There are also a lot of books out there on CBT as well.  

It is very dificult to break this habit, and it is a habit by the way, without professional help.  But know that as with any habit, it can be broken.  So my advice is to take it another step further.  YOu have visited the GP...now it is time for the psychologist.  Look for one that specializes in OCD and CBT, that is important.  Not everybody does that.  

Remember, you can do this.  It is all about changing behaviors and the way we think.  I know you think there is no hope but there really is, you just need to continue on the path you have started.  
Thank you so much this was a huge help im going to start calling around on ASAP cause i dont like seeing myself like this.. Thanks again!! :)