Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Community
just wondering

This community is an un-mediated, community for questions and support regarding Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) issues such as: causes, check locks, check stoves, clean things, count items, dirt, doubt, drugs and medications, family and relationship issues, fear of forgetting, fear that a mistake will harm a loved one, financial issues, germs, horrific images, OCD research , order things, perform rituals, repugnant images, repugnant religious thoughts, repugnant sexual thoughts, , shower, symmetry, symptoms, touch things, treatment, violent images, wash hands

just wondering

Hi, I am a single mother of two small children ages 10 and 4 and they both have rocked back and forth since they were able to walk.  I believe my youngest does because he has grown up watching his brother doing it and I'm not that concerned since he is still very young but I am concerned for my oldest as I think as being his mother it is something he should have grown out of a long time ago in my opinion.  I haven't talked to his pediatrician about it but he also has a few other compulsive "ticks" that he does such as twirling his hair and picking and constantly biting his nails and the skin around his nails literally so far down he barely has any left.  My youngest son doesn't do those things except the rocking.  Also my youngest son has severe ADHD although he hasn't been properly diagnosed but I have done my own research into the disorder and have concluded it myself because I don't truly believe in giving children medications.  Both my children are loving, caring and helpful in anyway they can but the house at times as any can be chaotic and disorderly.  So before I seek medical attention, if anyone has any insight to this it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.
Hi and welcome to the OCD forum.

Body rocking I believe is a way to relieve stress and anxiety.  It is almost like a meditative state and that is why people do it for great lenghts of time.  He appears to be doing other things that also have something to do with anxiety relief with the twirling of his hair and the whole nail thing.  So could he have OCD, absolutely.  

Your youngest son and the possibility he may have ADHD is a different matter.  

Both of your children could benefit from seeing a child psychologist.  Both need to be properly diagnosed.  Your son with potential OCD so that he can learn cognitive behavioral therapy to combat his compulsions and the resulting anxiety he is under.  Your young son needs to be diagnosed if he does have ADHD because he is going to need an individual education plan when he starts school.  If he truly has ADHD, then he deserves accommodations to meet his needs in the classroom.  

At this point you don't have to worry about medication.  You need the all important diagnosis for both of your children and you need to find out what you can do to help them with their differences.  

If you want more information about ADHD, then post the ADD/ADHD forum.  Sandman2 is very knowledgeable about the disorder and has a lot of experience working with school age children.  He recommends a book but it is not coming to me at the moment so he can tell you what it is when you post over on that forum.  

Your son with OCD needs to get a handle on this now.  Unforatuely sometimes other things start to crop up, other behaviors, irrational thinking, and that is why you should address it now.  

Take care.