Occupational Safety & Health Expert Forum
Asbestos Exposure while painting my house

This forum is for questions and support regarding Occupational Safety & Health questions pertaining to: Blood Borne Exposures (Needle sticks), Chemical Safety-Spills-Exposure, Confined Spaces, Corporate Planning, Ergonomics, Fire Safety-Exposure, Industrial Hygiene, Hazard Communication, Hazardous Material Handling and Shipping, Health and Productivity Management, Indoor Air Quality, Injuries in the workplace, Noise-induced hearing loss, Nanotechnology and your health, Occupational Asthma , Pandemic Influenza (“FLU”), Personal Protective Equipment, Risk Communication, Safe Lifting Techniques, Workers compensation

Hello, I believe I was exposed to asbestos years ago and I'm wondering if I have anything to worry about. I was scraping lose paint off my home's cement shingles and after the third day learned they were asbestos shingles.... GREAT. I didn't wear a mask, didn't water the shingles down first, and really didn't take any precautions. I definitely disturbed the underlying cement. This was about 20 years ago and it crosses my mind here and there, but I've recently started to do a some research on asbestos related diseases and I'm a little concerned. Lawyer sites and internet blogs are not the best place to find factual information, but I really can't help myself. Should people who experienced limited exposure be concerned.

Thank you,
Tags: Exposure
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Your question is a difficult one to answer in a precise manner. In general, a single, relatively minor exposure to asbestos poses a very small amount of risk.

Other considerations:
1. Are you a smoker or have you been a smoker? (asbestos exposure + smoking poses an increased risk of lung cancer)

2. How old are you?

3. What type of work have you done over your lifetime?

4. Do you have any symptoms of cough, shortness of breath, or pain with breathing?

~ Dr. Parks

This answer provided to you is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this Medhelp.org posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.
Avatar_dr_m_tn

Other considerations:

2. How old are you?

~ Dr. Parks

Hello Dr. Parks, thank you for responding.

To answer your questions:

1. Are you a smoker or have you been a smoker? I've never smoked

2. How old are you? I'm 37

3. What type of work have you done over your lifetime? Primarily computer based jobs. I do my own home renovations, but I'm much smarter this time around and have materials tested for asbestos.

4. Do you have any symptoms of cough, shortness of breath, or pain with breathing? I don't have any of these symptons. I exercise frequently (3 or 4 times a week) and haven't notice any change in lung function.

Thank you,
Eric
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello again Eric,

Given your answers to the questions above, I will reiterate my previous statement about what we know about the type of exposure that you described in your initial posting. This type of exposure poses a very low if not near zero risk of asbestos-related lung disease.

If you are still curious, concerned and/or you would like additional reassurance, you could ask your health care provider to order a chest x-ray. In general, it takes about 20 years for changes in the lungs (due to asbestos exposure) to become visible by chest x-ray.

Please follow-up with any additional questions that you may have.

~ Dr. Parks